Some gear / play tips for a new WHM
 Sylph.Kimble
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Jornna
By Sylph.Kimble 2010-05-17 03:45:57  
Leviathan.Solanis said:
Sylph.Kimble said:
K, care to show me the 2 different formulas?

Sure. http://members.shaw.ca/pizza_steve/cure/

Form reading that, looks like the max base cap is indeed 90/190/390 which you should be able to reach easily.
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-17 03:47:07  
kk quick pop in to say thank you for all the positive answers, Bookmarked and saved this thread to read over when some of it will mean more to me (37 whm atm)

I have Regen btw lol, I get every spell as it becomes available.
 Leviathan.Solanis
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Solanis
By Leviathan.Solanis 2010-05-17 03:51:37  
Sylph.Kimble said:
Form reading that, looks like the base cap is indeed 90/190/390 which you should be able to reach easily.

Stop changing around what you're saying.

Sylph.Kimble said:
I really wouldnt worry to much about Cure 1-4 since they have hard caps that are very easy to reach.

Cures DO NOT have hard caps, they have soft caps. A WHM in the most basic of gear can break them. If you understand that, then okay. :)

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2010-05-17 03:56:06  
I changed around what im saying? My whole point was I wouldnt worry about trying to use MND or healing skill for Cure 1-4 because you should be very easily reaching the cap.
 Leviathan.Solanis
By Leviathan.Solanis 2010-05-17 04:01:31  
Sylph.Kimble said:
I changed around what im saying? My whole point was I wouldnt worry about trying to use MND or healing skill for Cure 1-4 because you should be very easily reaching the cap.

Okay, I guess you don't get it after all. When you cast cures 1-4, you can get values higher than the soft caps with proper gear choices. Your goal should never be to cast a cure III for 190, and frankly, if you are, that's laughable.

You really, really obviously don't understand how the mechanics of the job work. I shouldn't have to explain this stuff.
 Sylph.Kozuki
user: Shiyo
By Sylph.Kozuki 2010-05-17 04:01:34  
Leviathan.Solanis said:
Sylph.Kimble said:
Form reading that, looks like the base cap is indeed 90/190/390 which you should be able to reach easily.

Stop changing around what you're saying.

Sylph.Kimble said:
I really wouldnt worry to much about Cure 1-4 since they have hard caps that are very easy to reach.

Cures DO NOT have hard caps, they have soft caps. A WHM in the most basic of gear can break them. If you understand that, then okay. :)
Any reason you're arguing with someone who agreed with you from the start, you said they were wrong, they kept saying the same thing, then you eventually figured out what they meant, besides arguing just to argue?
 Sylph.Kozuki
By Sylph.Kozuki 2010-05-17 04:02:27  
Leviathan.Solanis said:
Sylph.Kimble said:

Okay, I guess you don't get it after all. When you cast cures 1-4, you can get values higher than the soft caps with proper gear choices. Your goal should never be to cast a cure III for 190, and frankly, if you are, that's laughable.

You really, really obviously don't understand how the mechanics of the job work.
Again, you're arguing just to argue, when you're both saying the same things...and he doesn't know how game mechanics work? O_o

How are you going to increase cure3's "cap"? By adding "Cure potency". Therefor, as you and him are both saying, the cap is easy to reach. Adding MND will be a complete waste of time, and cure potency is what people go for anyways.
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2010-05-17 04:03:21  
Leviathan.Solanis said:
Sylph.Kimble said:

You really, really obviously don't understand how the mechanics of the job work.

Ok, I understand with Cure Potency, you will cast cure for higher then 190.

Now, take off all that cure potency gear. If you have reach the max cap of 190, if you add mnd/vit or healing skill, will you go over 190?

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Leviathan.Solanis
By Leviathan.Solanis 2010-05-17 04:11:09  
Sylph.Kozuki said:
Any reason you're arguing with someone who agreed with you from the start, you said they were wrong, they kept saying the same thing, then you eventually figured out what they meant, besides arguing just to argue?
What? lol

Sylph.Kimble said:

Now, take off all that cure potency gear. If you have reach the max cap of 190, if you add mnd/vit or healing skill, will you go over 190?
Yes. Look at the formulas, you don't need potency gear to break the caps. In fact, messing around with the calculator, even with severely under-skilled healing magic and some MND from gear, you will break the soft caps.

Sorry if I come across as mean, but this is like... really basic stuff. ;(
 Bismarck.Gael
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Gael
By Bismarck.Gael 2010-05-17 04:15:39  
Quote:

Yes : 70 MND, 60 VIT, 276 skill :

Cure 3 for 194, without potency.

http://members.shaw.ca/pizza_steve/cure/Cure_Calculator.html

But i didnt want to start a drama when i said my numbers lol, i just wanted to correct a mistake xD
[+]
 Sylph.Kozuki
By Sylph.Kozuki 2010-05-17 04:34:36  
Real tips:

Predict damage/debuffs, don't react to it.

Use regens, all 3 ranks, use them a lot.

Have /sch

Potency for ALL cures, MND/potency for cure5 only(still stack potency over mnd)

-enmity for cures 1-4 and all curagas.

Haste, fastcast and conserve MP for buffs that don't benefit from stats(Haste, protectra/shellra/erase/raise/etc).

+Healing skill for cursna(debatable, don't know if it actually works)

+Enhancing for barspells.

HMP for /healing.

MAX mp is kind of pointless in general, don't see a need for it.

+MND for para/slow/stoneskin(very easy to cap stoneskin)

+dark magic/macc for aspir

Idle in +move speed/-pdt/autorefresh/autoregen(for free sublimation without having to cast ss)

[+]
 Hades.Clack
サーバ: Hades
user: cocl
By Hades.Clack 2010-05-17 04:45:30  
Kozuki pretty much summed up everything you need to know.
 Hades.Clack
By Hades.Clack 2010-05-17 05:17:16  
uh, tell that to a khim holding party for 20 minutes, or even odin in a ranger party when they keep pulling hate, or dark ixion holding.

There are plenty of times when -enmity is useful and can save your life. Why wouldn't you use curaga 3-4? It's more mp efficient then cure 4 or 5'ing 4 party members and yourself. This is where -enmity comes into play so you don't spike hate and cause mobs to move and whatnot.
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-17 05:21:37  
Asura.Shimay said:
this:
Caitsith.Silvaria said:
1. /SCH is the best way to go, I can't imagine WHM without it now. I only sub BLM when I know I'm going to need to warp, and healing will not be my main priority. 2. Anyone who thinks WHM is boring shouldn't play it, plain and simple. You'll most likely suck at it, and no one likes a WHM that sucks.

you will probably only sub blm when you in hnm shell for ES slow or repose. Like already said, /blm for sky. I know some WHM's only /blm cause theyre to lazy/cheap to buy any form of warp...but atm /sch is the best way to go. and you will prob never sleep (sublimation) when a mob cast sleepga .. like in einherjiar or dyna.. thats why i personally prefer sublimation over refresh.

get cure clogs asap not just at 75, you will have them forever anyway so buy them asap you can afford them.

Looking at my gear I tried to make a balance of -enm, vit, mnd & skill. Since i dont have any tank job 75, i made
-enm merits, using novia & tamas. I barely get any hate with that. but i although tried to get a haste setup for -na's regen and of course haste. You might want a enfeebling set too if youre low on mages for events.

but i guess after the update, there will be new subjob choices anyway.. speaking of getting convert or still with sch AoE -na's.

AND: before you lvl WHM, make sure, thats what you want. When you have it 75 you will most likely go to everything WHM, since most ppl dont wanna be a mage at events.

Again thank you for the tips.

I've got BRD up so I assume I'll be that or whm lol.

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Gael
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Gael
By Bismarck.Gael 2010-05-17 06:27:22  
An other tip also :
When you are weak, haste doesnt work to recast faster. Only Celerity can help you ;)
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
By Shiva.Flionheart 2010-05-17 06:47:26  
Bismarck.Josiahkf said:
Sylph.Kozuki said:
Real tips.

This is the important stuff Flion, knowing exactly what your mob is going to do before it does it wont be too hard to do in most situations but will really be the difference between a good whm and some guy exping/participating.
Also if you have to curaga, god please Penury lol

I assume by that you mean if you see a mob using a move you know to be powerful and ingoring of shadows, start casting cure before it's actually hit?

Post deleted by User.
 Valefor.Argettio
サーバ: Valefor
user: Argettio
By Valefor.Argettio 2010-05-17 07:16:42  
Not just which moves ignore shadows or is going to hit hard, you need to know what moves give status effects, and in what shape (single target, cone, AoE etc) so you can work on taking it off.

You also need to know when the mob will do certain moves. A lot of mobs will do certain moves at certain points in the fight; this could be based on a timer, HP or TP (or other) and knowing when this is will allow you to plan accordingly.

Hades.Clack
By Hades.Clack 2010-05-17 07:57:53  
Quotes aren't working for me meh. @Gael, You should have checked to see what linkshell I was in. All of our melee and even tanks play aggressively because they know they have the WHM's to back them up.

I don't think you've ever been in a situation where your hate is capped because you've been throwing out cures on everyone for 20 minutes during ixion, or our excal pld likes to try and kill khim by himself with just a brd whm and pld feeding it tp.

People play whm differently. In my linkshell I'm required to solo heal a party of 4 relics, all of which more often then not sub war or sam. When they all get hit by an -aga because it wasn't stunned or slept (this is a variety of mobs, not the 1% you're talking about) for over 600 damage each while having hate, you're telling me regen or a cure 3 is going to save them? please.

I've learned to balance hate with providing the most healing possible. I'd like to see you try and do the job I did on a daily basis. I doubt you'd last 20 minutes before asking for help.
 Cerberus.Kvazz
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-05-17 08:02:33  
Whoever said -enm isnt important is a retard.
In long fights the more -enm you can get the better.
Obviously whm shouldnt use cure4, which is the big "hate-cure", but -enm on cure1-3 will over time help you out alot.

Curing in -50 enmity sure helps me out alot, specially in longer fights.

Post deleted by User.
 Quetzalcoatl.Vileplume
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Jarbino
By Quetzalcoatl.Vileplume 2010-05-17 10:04:48  
Some tips:

Please, and I repeat, PLEASE, keep Haste on ALL your DDs and PLD(or NIN). I've seen so many WHMs who don't Haste anyone, makes me want to rage.

Have a Haste and Fast Cast setup.
Have an HP+ set for Devotion.
Please use both Blessed Briault and Cleric's Pantaloons for bar spells.
If you're /SCH, take advantage of it and Drain/Aspir monsters with MP.
Don't fulltime Zenith pieces please. It's pointless after you have used up the MP it gives.
Don't spam Cure V for every cure you need to do, it's a waste of MP D:

Hope this helped a bit.