users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Servers » Pandemonium » Lu Shang's fishing rod
Lu Shang's fishing rod
 Pandemonium.Reiriop
サーバ: Pandemonium
Game: FFXI
user: reiriop
By Pandemonium.Reiriop 2008-02-01 11:53:28  
is it possible to lvl fishing past 50 with out lu shangs rod? and if so what is the best setup. i could also use some help on gettin lu shangs rod if anyone has suggestions.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [245 days between previous and next post]
 Pandemonium.Weisheng
user: Weisheng
By Pandemonium.Weisheng 2008-10-03 12:00:07  
I myself am just gonna purchase a Lu rod until I get enough moats to finish the quest. I am about 2000/10000 for the quest atm.
 Quetzalcoatl.Zura
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Zura
By Quetzalcoatl.Zura 2008-10-03 13:35:52  
Yes, it is possible. No, you don't want to do it because you'll be limiting yourself on what kinds of fish you'll get and the sizes of fish you can catch. There are a couple of guides on Titanictus.com on how to level with and without a Lu and in the Fishing Discussion tab you will see a post on what is possibly the best place to fish for moats.
 Quetzalcoatl.Vintaru
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Vintaru 2008-10-03 15:52:52  
The only problem you might run across if fishing without a Lu Rod is the lack of profit. As you get much higher you'll start to use lures more. Without a Lu Rod expect to break your line often, or even worse your rod. When your rod breaks you lose your Lure too. So this can be a pretty pricey road to take. Consider the price of a Halcyon Rod or Mithran Rod and a Rogue Rig. Now a Lu Rod doesn't look so expensive does it? This is however an option, so no you don't need a Lu Rod. Just don't expect those stacks of fish your catching to sell for 9k and put a fair amount of gil in your pocket because you will be buying Rods and Lures constantly.
 Unicorn.Nitsuj
VIP
サーバ: Unicorn
user: framerate
By Unicorn.Nitsuj 2008-10-03 16:36:57  
Get a Halcyon and fish Nebs or Bluetails (with lure). Fish as much as you can for 2 weeks every day, selling the fish for profit.

Every night before bed hit up all the auction houses and buy as many moat carp stacks as you can. Go to Sandy, hand them in, go to bed.

Repeat until you have your Lu's.

(More or less my plan, I'm at 6100 moat carp with 450k in gil as soon as Moat Carp supply is back)
 Leviathan.Symbol
サーバ: Leviathan
user:
By Leviathan.Symbol 2008-10-03 20:00:00
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Well You can just Buy a Halcyon and fish up the carps x.x It took me two months to get all the carps for the lu
 Pandemonium.Shinrai
user: Shinrai
By Pandemonium.Shinrai 2008-10-04 19:55:16  
You must have fished to fatigue every single day for two months to fish all 10k. o.O
 Bismarck.Calina
サーバ: Bismarck
user: calina
By Bismarck.Calina 2008-10-05 10:10:49  
or fished with multiple characters like i do i got 1 of my crafting mules ToAU access and 80 mog locker and mog safe and 50 inventory so far

fish with 2 characters to fatigue every day thats like 400 fish and now lu shangs dosent look so bad

will only take like 3-4 weeks to hit 10k at that rate

iam at 2626 so far and depending on how much time i have in next 2 weeks to play ganna switch to fishing carp with 3 mules and skill up on my main get 600 a day and that's only little less then 2 weeks to get my rod^^

and fishing 50-63 is possible without lu shangs after you come off shall shells at 53 switch over to trumpet shells to 63 there kinda weird to fish seem to have some weather base on weather u can hook them or not but lighting weather they hook alot and its better then nothing and + its like around 20k a stack across all servers or should be seeing as how crafter can npc the nq for 20k a stack(<3 them for 86-96 bone^^)
 Pandemonium.Shinrai
user: Shinrai
By Pandemonium.Shinrai 2008-10-05 11:04:43  
Calina, that's even worse - I wasn't shocked that somebody could accomplish that much, I was shocked that you can physically tolerate to fish for 4-6 hours a day.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [32 days between previous and next post]
 Bismarck.Calina
By Bismarck.Calina 2008-11-06 14:15:18  
i fish like 6-8 hrs a day in my free time not all at once so its not even that much to tolerate

fish like 20-30mins here and there then go back to doin whatever rl ***i was doin for a while

makes both fishing and packing up to move more tolerable lol

P.S. @ 6,710 now =)
abit harder then i thout seeing as after hitting 100 or so fish rate at hooking items shoots up to 50% outright so just gave up fishin them as of now lol

using my profits from lvling 30-53 off shall shells to buy last 3.3k i need lol
 Bismarck.Calina
By Bismarck.Calina 2008-11-09 08:58:39  
ive finaly done it 10,000/10,000^^

only took me 5+ years since i acculy started the quest lol
 Ramuh.Bekisa
サーバ: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Bekisa 2008-11-09 18:15:41  
I fished up my first 2-3K carps then got to thinking. How long it took each day to cap out fatigue vs. how much gil I could make skilling up on other fish and the time it took. It was a much better time wise and skillup wise method to fish shall shells for gil/skill and buy carps afterwards.

I wouldn't go past ~50 fishing without a Lu, you would just be wasting your time from then on and limit yourself on catches and possible fish.

Some people complain "you cheated by not fishing all 10,000!" but I can say I didn't waste my life away for weeks on end fishing carp only and I actually made some gil and skill ups in the process of getting a Lu. To each fisherman, their own method -- it's up to you how you go about it. I just wish I started on carps when I was level 0 instead of waiting until I was ~15.
 Valefor.Dogwarrior
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Dogwarrior 2008-11-10 13:24:09  
Best set up and area to fish moat carps: Insect Paste + Hume Rod @ The Knightwell in West Ronfaure.

This location gurantees moat carps and moat carps only (asside from rusties).

The Hume rod is perferred over the Halcyon rod because it's made of wood, which wears out fish faster then a synthetic rod, but the time on the line is short. Don't let me discourage against using a Halcyon if you have it already, use it. I suggest you test for yourself. The halcyon is a synthetic rod. It allows a fish to stay on the rod longer when wearing them down but the fish are worn out slower then a wooden rod.

The hume rod is also cheaper but use it only to catch moats @ the Knightwell. If you try to fish @ Windurst or Bastok other small fish will break the rod.

I also suggest doing a combo of fishing and buying moat carps.

Good Luck ^_^