users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ninja » NIN/PLD?
NIN/PLD?
 Asura.Ina
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Inasura
By Asura.Ina 2010-06-26 21:03:37  
Ok so since nin/drk basicly got raped by this update looking into some options... the only SJ i can think of that could be effective in the situations you would have used /drk now is pld.

It sounds kinda silly but flash and stun give the same ammount of enmity although the stun effect will be missed. You also get acess to sentinal, cover, holy circle (hey once or twice it will come in handy) and auto refresh would be a pritty decent boost. If you were going earth staff tanking you could always macro in to equip the lv 30 SJ latent shields that every job can wear. I cant immagine you could get too much hate from healing spells with your mp but they would still be an option maybe for healing others rather then yourself for some hate.

I doubt it will be as effective as /drk was but between it and /war i think pld will win out for stronger mobs ie omega and between yonin, gear and merits you can pump your enmity + up to the cap of 50 (at least 50 is what ive been told) quite easily assuming that yonin actually counts towards the cap and not calculated sepratly.

Anyways, thoughts? opinoions? anything constructive
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-06-26 21:04:47  
I actually saw a NIN/PLD work out very well once. I think he essentially used flash to help Ichi.
 Fairy.Spence
サーバ: Fairy
user: Spencyono
By Fairy.Spence 2010-06-26 21:04:49  
I'd like to see more NIN/RDM

I have no idea how /PLD would work but something tells me it wouldn't be great, but who knows! Try it out!
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-06-26 21:21:35  
/PLD would be rather hard to reach that CE cap due to your limited MP pool. You'd probably need MP merits and such to work it well. That said, once you do cap enmity it would be simple enough to maintain it with just flash and an odd cure.
 Bismarck.Calina
サーバ: Bismarck
user: calina
By Bismarck.Calina 2010-06-26 21:22:17  
friend used to do nin/pld and it worked great main tanked everything from sky gods to kings to ultima/omega without any issues.

Leviathan.Willoflame
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Willoflame 2010-06-26 21:31:04  
It's a good idea and all, BUT...

Sentinel finds most use when in low yellow/orange HP so you can cure3 spam yourself and flash, a LOT of enmity gain comes from that. I guess as nin you can... hojo/kura? haha. I dunno, I just think that /drk is better because you get 2 stuns (Stun & bash), Souleater & Last Resort both generate a ***ton of enmity, and you get sleep/stun/bind to top that off.

However, on mobs that gain resistance to stun, or have a native resistance to stun, nin/pld may be useful or even nin/rdm. Give it a try and let me know how it works.
 Carbuncle.Axle
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Zephin
By Carbuncle.Axle 2010-06-26 21:33:00  
All you have is Flash, Cure, sentinal(5min), sheild bash(5min).

/drk
Stun, bind, sleep(gimped), blind, souleater(5min), last resort(5min), weapon bash(5min), absorb spells(not mp efficient mind you).

Not saying it won't work, but i think /drk still has more stuff to use.
 Quetzalcoatl.Zeldageek
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: zeldageek
By Quetzalcoatl.Zeldageek 2010-06-26 22:00:21  
bind blind nerfed too
 Pandemonium.Vitrolant
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: Vitrolant
By Pandemonium.Vitrolant 2010-06-26 22:02:33  
Carbuncle.Axle said:
All you have is Flash, Cure, sentinal(5min), sheild bash(5min).

/drk
Stun, bind, sleep(gimped), blind, souleater(5min), last resort(5min), weapon bash(5min), absorb spells(not mp efficient mind you).

Not saying it won't work, but i think /drk still has more stuff to use.

souleater is 6 mins and bash you could only do with earth/wind staff...

overall there both gimp now nin really got shafted tanking anything endgame

wish nin/brd still worked
 Carbuncle.Axle
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Zephin
By Carbuncle.Axle 2010-06-26 22:19:35  
Quetzalcoatl.Zeldageek said:
bind blind nerfed too

bah, thought it was just sleeps
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-06-26 22:30:35  
Fairy.Spence said:
I'd like to see more NIN/RDM

I have no idea how /PLD would work but something tells me it wouldn't be great, but who knows! Try it out!
NIN/RDM died with NIN/DRK.
 Ifrit.Wyclef
user: wyclef
By Ifrit.Wyclef 2010-06-26 22:48:51  
nin/rng :)

nin could use a better/stronger/more affordable high end shuriken though!
 Ifrit.Wyclef
user: wyclef
By Ifrit.Wyclef 2010-06-26 22:49:16  
oh and throwing WS's ^^
 Sylph.Bowserx
サーバ: Sylph
user: Garasu
By Sylph.Bowserx 2010-06-26 22:56:27  
NIN/PLD works fine seen every thing tanked by a NIN/PLD from sky mobs / king behemoth , niddy , ixion ect.
 Lakshmi.Naveyah
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Naveyah 2010-07-01 00:07:17  
I've been tanking just fine as NIN/DRK after the update, its a little more of a challenge to cap out hate but you can still do it, just need to use absorb spells and poison more then you used to.
 Gilgamesh.Katori
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: agroyboy
By Gilgamesh.Katori 2010-07-01 00:27:02  
pld/nin not hard to hold hate as long as DD dont WS at start of fight you should be able to hold hate easy flash and cure IV pull some good hate with ninja spells if you know what your doing you shouldnt have a problem
 Bismarck.Aryden
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Aryden
By Bismarck.Aryden 2010-07-23 05:59:00  
Gilgamesh.Katori said:
pld/nin not hard to hold hate as long as DD dont WS at start of fight you should be able to hold hate easy flash and cure IV pull some good hate with ninja spells if you know what your doing you shouldnt have a problem

Try cure III, PLD doesnt get IV till 55.

I could see at start..

engage, Sentinel >> macro in shield >> Shield bash >> FLash >>
Cure cheat >> Cure cheat >> repeat flash and continue with cures.
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-23 06:08:30  
Well /drk still has aspir and stun and the jas and nin spells. And absorb spells are ALOT of VE poison/bio is nice too
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-07-23 06:12:18  
/PLD works well. If you have a cure cheat set you can Sentinel/Cure spam for some nice CE. Shield Bash is very low enmity, it might be relative to the damage done, I'm not sure. You have Flash which works more or less like Stun. The only issue is cure cheats are very inefficient, even for PLD. So with your small MP pool/lack of refresh gear it won't quite replace what /DRK used to offer, but yes it does work.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-23 06:15:19  
Need more blu/nin tanking...

Seriously they have always had hate spells up the wazoo. And now all the new buffs are 320/320 lol
 Cerberus.Hiryo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Hiryo
By Cerberus.Hiryo 2010-07-23 06:39:13  
Bismarck.Aryden said:
Gilgamesh.Katori said:

Try cure III, PLD doesnt get IV till 55.

I could see at start..

engage, Sentinel >> macro in shield >> Shield bash >> FLash >>
Cure cheat >> Cure cheat >> repeat flash and continue with cures.

PLD/NIN not NIN/PLD.

Well, that's what he typed at-least.
 Alexander.Temaruma
サーバ: Alexander
user: Temarumaz
By Alexander.Temaruma 2010-07-23 06:42:01  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Need more blu/nin tanking...

Seriously they have always had hate spells up the wazoo. And now all the new buffs are 320/320 lol

This. I just convinced my ls to let me try tanking some stuff recently, it works out well.
 Lakshmi.Wardens
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Wardens
By Lakshmi.Wardens 2010-07-23 14:01:37  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Need more blu/nin tanking... Seriously they have always had hate spells up the wazoo. And now all the new buffs are 320/320 lol

What does the 320/320 mean?
 Asura.Majae
サーバ: Asura
user: Majae
By Asura.Majae 2010-07-23 14:06:21  
Lakshmi.Naveyah said:
I've been tanking just fine as NIN/DRK after the update, its a little more of a challenge to cap out hate but you can still do it, just need to use absorb spells and poison more then you used to.

I'm on the same boat as you. I tanked the other night as nin/drk for a Omega run and noticed it was a bit harder to cap out hate, but it's still possible. Was MUCH easier before the update, but - not a total lose.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-07-23 14:08:34  
Lakshmi.Wardens said:
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Need more blu/nin tanking... Seriously they have always had hate spells up the wazoo. And now all the new buffs are 320/320 lol
What does the 320/320 mean?
Sorry short hand.

320 CE and 320 VE.

Needless to say I find myself getting and keeping hate in abysea alot. Had to look up the hate values to figure out why just refreshing/hasting myself was pulling hate and why AOEing it pretty much kept hate on me whole fight lol
 Fairy.Maimed
サーバ: Fairy
user: Maimed
By Fairy.Maimed 2010-07-23 16:41:56  
NIN/PLD offers a new dynamic to NIN tanking, and that is additional survivability. Being able to cast Sentinel during a bad utsusemi rotation can be a lifesaver, especially if solo tanking.

In a dual tanking situation, the ability to pop "cover" on your co-tank until they're able to recover is golden as well.

The downside is NIN/PLD will need to learn mana efficiency to the Nth degree in order to maximize enmity per spell cast. Both Paladins and Dark Knights have limited mana pools but enmity per MP traditionally always favored Dark Knights.

If done right, this can be a very sexy option for endgame tanking.

Ninja Edit: Keep in mind, the enmity from Sentinel decays quickly, and the only reason Paladins seem to benefit from Sentinel as a hate tool is from a Tier II merit called Guardian which lets them retain the majority of the VE generated.