フォーラム » FFXIV » Classes » Conjurer » Few questions about Mages and Lalafell
Few questions about Mages and Lalafell
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
サーバ: Gilgamesh
Game: FFXI
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2010-10-07 11:18:11  
Hi All,

I played the beta just a tiny bit, and I already bought the game and plan on playing it soon.

My main questions: Is there anyone here who played as Tarutaru on XI and has chosen to play as Lalafell on XIV?

This was my original plan, I played Elvaan on my first server and it was fun and had it's perks but I ended up strictly wanting to be a mage later on, when I made a new character years later on a new server I went with Taru and was very happy with the choice.. being a full time mage. I didn't have to worry about much +mp gear that was expensive through the lower levels etc.

My concern for XIV from my short experience on the beta is that:

A) It does not look like mages are even that effective in game since you can not easily restore your mp without using a /JA or going to the crystal thingy to restore it or some food/potion method. Does anyone have any feedback to this not being a big deal or being manageable?

B) From watching the video about fatigue it even looks like every job/class will be mixed so even all the Gladiator or Marauder will just have attributes of a Conjurer/Thaumaturge making the demand for a pure Conjurer/Thaumaturge quite low. If the demand or usefulness of a pure mage is low then I don't see the point in even going with Lalafell.

C) If mages are less important I would think there will be less of a benefit getting more MP by choosing Lalafell as compared to the MP boost as a Tarutaru, thus making me think choosing a different race would be better.

If there is any compelling reasoning that would tell me my thoughts are wrong? I guess that is what I'm really looking for. If the benefits of making the decision to be Taru on XI will be similar to making the decision to be Lalafell on XIV please let me know why.
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-10-07 11:34:23  
A) A lot of the game is run via guild leves, which means you're actually going back to the crystal quite a lot, and can burn your MP as much as you like. Ethers aren't as expensive or as useless as they are in FFXI, and your MP restore ja isn't too bad I believe (I haven't leveled a mage job since ~mid closed beta).

B) Abilities you equip from another class are only half as effective, or thereabouts. Certainly with melee jobs using cures, it's not very effective, furthermore, you can only cure aoe if you are on that job as main. On the other hand though, because of the cross class aspect, any half decent melee job will have one or two ways of restoring HP to themselves through JAs.

C) Mages will still be important, especially for aoe buffs like stoneskin, shock spikes (drain spikes too I think), shell and protect. Also different races don't differ as much in stats as they did in FFXI, so your choice of race is more of an aesthetic thing without really crippling you if you chose to be a galka blm for instance. It still matters I'm sure, just not nearly as much. Also each race has two types, and I believe the stats vary accordingly so that you can pick a dark miqo'te for mage, or a light miqo'te for melee (or w/e). The red Rogadyn, I believe, are actually bio'd as being strong mages.

I should mention that this is all going off memory, do some research on race stats and you'll get your answer.
 Bismarck.Rellz
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Relleum
By Bismarck.Rellz 2010-10-07 11:44:53  
basically what blazza said there isn't as much of importance to your race because you set where you want skill points to go. as he said a roegadyn being a mage or like a lalafell being a really good meleer.
and answering ur questions...
A: mage jobs get MP restore abilities that cannot be used as a subability. there is a timer on the crystal reuse to restore ur mp btw blazza but its kinda annoying to have to run to crystal every time you want mp. mages deal alot of damage with spells although at least when i played beta...
B. kinda like subjobs you can have curing abilities as long as you are the required level thats needed. however the potency and duration of the spells im assuming will be much less as blazza said as well.
C. the only benefit you would get as a mage being a lalafell is the higher magic stats when you first start
By TheDubont 2010-10-07 12:39:53  
From what I see, most of the questions have been answered.

a) MP isn't an issue as long as you don't spam DD spells back to back for an hour without using your restorative ability.

b) 1 Con in a party > 6 people with con abilities in their action bar. People that say mages aren't effect are greatly mistaken and probably aren't playing it right. My r14 CON can heal each party member for 215 with one spell as opposed to each member curing themselves for 100-150. Also, CON can stoneskin/shockspikes/pro/shell every party member just by AoEing one spell. Remember, class specific spells on a different class can't be AoEd (from my experience)

c) Each race is basically the same. You start out with different stats, but @ r2, you can even out all of your stats anyway so it doesn't matter. The only differences in Races are starting stats, lore behind the race and race specific features.
 Gilgamesh.Tweeek
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: Tweeek
By Gilgamesh.Tweeek 2010-10-07 13:32:09  
thanks for the info guys, really appreciate it.

Lalafell look too weird for me to pick them then :P
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [276 days between previous and next post]
By shyfreedance 2011-07-10 15:56:30  
I agree. In FFXI tarus looked like cute little toy dolls. In FFXIV, they look like short and fat little people. Like a Taru with a bear belly!
By CakeBandit 2011-07-10 23:16:47  
We Lala's take pride in our potbelly's!