users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » Jupiter's vs. Vulcan's in abyssea
Jupiter's vs. Vulcan's in abyssea
 Siren.Froggis
サーバ: Siren
Game: FFXI
user: Froggis
By Siren.Froggis 2010-11-07 05:00:11  
Speaking only about Abyssea and the utilization of Atma of the Razed Ruins/Atma of the Voracious Violet, Jupiter's Staff might just be better DPS on exp mobs. My current tp gear is decent (AF3 pants +2) and I have 4/4 Critical Hit Rate merits. The Razed Ruins atma gives +30% Crit. Hit Rate, so I total 52% critical hit rate on RNG in Abyssea.

I noticed very little difference in Sidewinder/Refulgent damage but critical hits from Siege Bow with Demon Arrows are between 350 and 400 damage per critical shot. With Antlion Arrows, the damage increases to 400-450 damage per critical shot. With the addition of Stalwart's Tonic, Antlion Arrow/Siege crits increase to 500-550 damage.

Factoring in Double Shot, that means back to back critical shots cause 700-1100 damage...

With all the new "Increases Critical Hit Damage," I can see ranger DoT relying on critical hits in the present or very near future.
So, I suggest that if you have the Razed Ruins atma, you should try out Jupiter's Staff instead of Vulcan's Staff.

If anyone cares enough to perform a legitimate parse comparison, I'd greatly appreciate it and would love to know whether I should be getting some more crit gear.
[+]
 Cerberus.Quipto
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Quipto
By Cerberus.Quipto 2010-11-07 05:42:49  
To be honest, i'd say you would benefit more from VV/Stout Arm atma's over RR. Crit hit's on ranged attacks don't provide quite the same boost as they do for other DD's. Also with Sidewinder not being able to crit, RR is just going to waste when you could have 40 extra STR and 30~ RATT.
[+]
 Bahamut.Dasva
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-11-07 06:29:18  
I've played around with a bit and when they do crit with RR up the crit ws on rng do more than slug. This is even factoring switching RR for something like stout arm or drifter. Part of the problem is unlike melee DDs you aren't capping dstat crit hit rate thanks to all the dex on it so actually critting with it at 100% tp is maybe 50% and no crit is crap dmg. The staff might help solve that problem. That and the agi +crit hit rate atma

Also VV is less good on rng especially if you already using stout arm. The regain is nice but you are probably X building anyways. And capping fstr with cruor buffs and stout arm with decent gear wont be too hard.
[+]
By seiri 2010-11-07 07:36:00  
Hey frog.

Honestly it could work.

If you want to go down that line, few other things you might want to try.

Swap axe grip for claymore - 3% higher crit rate.
Cavaros mantle is a really nice piece, tho the +enmity is a pain.
Work on Loki's Khaften - 11agi/dex for crit rate and racc with 5% crit dmg and store tp.
With the 7 store tp from loki's, you could try swapping out your hands and feet for pure agi or dex pieces.

Or, you could forget a Xhit build and go for pure DoT type dmg with Arching Arrow builds for spike dmg.

As Dasva suggested, try for the agi/crit rate atma too, extra WS dmg as well as boosting your crits. With the two atmas you might be able to hit like 85% crit rate, maybe even higher.

Capping fstr with just cruor buffs etc wont be impossible, so really theres very little to lose.
 Siren.Froggis
By Siren.Froggis 2010-11-07 16:49:53  
I don't have the Stout Arm atma! /cry That's why I was playing with RR.

Idk, I just thought it was really funny to crit that much on RNG lol. We shall see in the very near future... if RNG gets crit enhancement on AF3 hands or body... I told you so! lol
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2010-11-07 17:01:59  
Would the critical rate on the staff even apply to ranged attacks? +crit rate on most weapons is exclusively for that weapon.
 Fenrir.Leesil
サーバ: Fenrir
user: jeremy234
By Fenrir.Leesil 2010-11-07 17:03:53  
New RNG ws from harrier+1/Gandiva is Dex modded and crits so RR atma is ftw on that ws if you take the time to obtain it.
 Siren.Froggis
By Siren.Froggis 2010-11-07 18:19:59  
Siren.Kyte said:
Would the critical rate on the staff even apply to ranged attacks? +crit rate on most weapons is exclusively for that weapon.

Very good question... You might actually be right but doesn't Kidney Dagger work overall for a thf? I'm pretty sure the +5% crit rate on that affects both hands but X's knife doesn't. Hmmm... this post might be null if you are correct lol.
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2010-11-07 18:38:40  
X's knife most certainly affects both hands- there's a reason why X's used to be such a good offhand.

However, such is not the case for offhanding a +crit rate weapon. You couldn't offhand a Dissector and expect to get the +rate for both hands. Ninjas used to mainhand Senji because of this, despite it having a lower base damage than many offhand choices, such as Fudo.

This also applies to Footwork w/ Destroyers- no +critical for your kicks.
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-11-07 18:41:51  
Jupiter's +crit only affects the main hand, like all +crit rate weapons they only affect the hand they're wielded in. X's was Crit damage+ which affects all forms of attacks.

Siren.Kyte said:
X's knife most certainly affects both hands- there's a reason why X's used to be such a good offhand.

At 75 it was only off handed by Relic/Mythics.
 Siren.Kyte
By Siren.Kyte 2010-11-07 18:49:20  
I don't see how that invalidates my statement, lol
 Siren.Froggis
By Siren.Froggis 2010-11-07 19:46:20  
I don't have thf lvl'd so I didn't know about that crit main hand /off hand thing. Hmm, seems like we've reach a conclusion then... Jupiter's won't affect ranged attacks? Perhaps the RR atma's 30% is just so much that it seemed like Jupiter's was making a difference.

Well then Vulcan's or Mekki goes! lol
 Bismarck.Helel
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2010-11-09 15:26:02  
Jupiter's staff does not affect anything other than itself. Pointless on RNG unless you want dex lol.
[+]
 Bismarck.Aryden
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Aryden
By Bismarck.Aryden 2010-11-09 18:42:43  
Weapons stating +crit % only affect that particular weapon and nothing else. +crit dmg affects any crit you get, even if you were punching the damn beastie.

Having beena ninja and atetmpting to cap Ddex i can tell you as well, that you are going to need to get your dex up to 50 over the mob's agi to "cap" your dex crit % iirc.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2010-11-12 14:07:35  
How much of an impact would RR make on say Arching Arrow?
 Bahamut.Dasva
サーバ: Bahamut
user: dasva
By Bahamut.Dasva 2010-11-12 16:07:26  
Fenrir.Skarwind said:
How much of an impact would RR make on say Arching Arrow?
Alot. For example my slugshot with just atma of the drifter (racc/ratt) was around 1.6-1.7k in one pt. When I actually got a crit Heavy shot was like 1.8-2.2k. Though like 1k when it didn't.

Which brings up the problem rngs have with it. Melees get the big boost to crit rate and cap Ddex from the dex on it making your crit rate insane. But rng doesn't benefit from the dex
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [330 days between previous and next post]
By Likeaboss 2011-10-08 08:47:05  
Just wondering as I don't have rng geared or lvl'd yet to try myself. But has anyone try'd GH/RR/SS atma w/ jupiters staff and other crit dmg/rate enhancement gear using Arching arrow? Another thing that might help are duel wielding yataghans augmented w/ perfect crit dmg +. I'm not sure how this ws fares outside of abyssea but I know Tachi: Jinpu is crit based and does really good dmg inside if geared right w/ crit oriented atma's. Thanks
 Cerberus.Kvazz
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2011-10-08 08:49:33  
Likeaboss said: »
Just wondering as I don't have rng geared or lvl'd yet to try myself. But has anyone try'd GH/RR/SS atma w/ jupiters staff and other crit dmg/rate enhancement gear using Arching arrow? Another thing that might help are duel wielding yataghans augmented w/ perfect crit dmg +. I'm not sure how this ws fares outside of abyssea but I know Tachi: Jinpu is crit based and does really good dmg inside if geared right w/ crit oriented atma's. Thanks

Jinpu can NOT crit.

And I'm pretty sure Jupiter's staffs crit rate+ only works on the staff itself
 Cerberus.Quipto
user: Quipto
By Cerberus.Quipto 2011-10-08 08:53:04  
Likeaboss said: »
Bumping a thread 5 days from being one year old and we don't even READ it. Classic.
 Quetzalcoatl.Dova
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: dova
By Quetzalcoatl.Dova 2011-10-08 08:55:54  
Bismarck.Helel said: »
Jupiter's staff does not affect anything other than itself. Pointless on RNG unless you want dex lol.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Kolvar
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Kolvar
By Lakshmi.Kolvar 2011-10-09 22:33:26  
I have been going back to /NIN and using Carabineer Dagger and Carabinier's Axe.

I haven't really taken the time to to do any actual test but overall it appears better. But then maybe I am just paying attention to good numbers only.
 Asura.Ludoggy
サーバ: Asura
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2011-10-09 22:40:31  
Lakshmi.Kolvar said: »
I have been going back to /NIN
Get much more going /sam or /war
The few extra skill isn't enough to warrant it.