フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Atmas for DRK
Atmas for DRK
First Page 2 3 4 ... 8 9 10
 Ragnarok.Returner
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Nameless
By Ragnarok.Returner 2011-06-27 14:19:50  
If you are looking to solo on drk inside abyssea. Drk/mnk is by far the best choice. With RR/GH/RL atma you are golden to tank anything with a WHM support and solo most of the weak mobs with little to no down time.
 Shiva.Ashmulder
サーバ: Shiva
user: AshMulder
By Shiva.Ashmulder 2011-06-27 14:25:09  
Ragnarok.Ashman said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Ragnarok.Ashman said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Ragnarok.Ashman said:
I use Minikin/matriarch/ultimate to charge up my nukes :3
I have Scholar, so I never even tried to nuke on lolDRK. I was making a joke :<
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:
I hate the lack of defensive options too much, to use /THF on DRK and take advantage of a RR-SS atma build.
How is RR not a good option on DRK? With a ODD proc on a crit = easily 1k dmg, no? Too good to pass up, unless you just meditate/let regain get to you 100tp >_>
Razed ruins sucks and is overrated, anyone who uses razed ruins is a noob.
It's nowhere near as useful as it is on a job that spams crit ws (even moreso on Sanguine scythe... I thought people posting SS were trying to be funny, hence the drk nuke joke :x). Aftermath on calad may make you a heck of a lot more of DPS job than it is without but it's still a spike damage ws-job. RR does absolutely nothing for torcleaver unless you have acc issues (and those should be addressed elsewhere imho). If youre using 1hand axe and ridill on drk while you use RR, then im sorry. Why you havent killed yourself yet idk, but my arguement doesnt apply to you. :x
Even SAMs use RR inside Abyssea. DRK's TP/WS split has a larger TP component than SAMs do. The benefits are too good to pass up, even without a crit WS. I wouldn't fault anyone for using SS either tbh. Critdmg+30% is a decent boost to melee damage and you've got HP+ for Souleater as well. I'd lean towards A&O as my third atma, especially with Caladbolg, but if the HP- was an issue then I'd at least consider SS, possibly a regain/STP atma.

I'm sorry, I'm at work so I tend to type quickly and not always clearly. I was saying why RR wasn't as OP as it is for other jobs, not saying it's not useful at all. I understood what Zicdeh was trying to convey (which is why i answered the post before him and not his) but was just trying to be informative as to why RR isn't as good for drk as it is for other jobs (and to a further extent SS, which is still think is a poor choice for drk ever). If you looke 4-5 posts before the one you're quoting of mine, i advocate RR as one of my choices situationally. Sorry for any confusion.

Id like you to explain to me why RR/SS/apoc is such a poor choice for a caladbolg drk. Keep in mind i used to rock RR/VV/apoc and theres wasn t that much of a difference, except for the regain when your standing on the sidelines(if that applies)
 Cerberus.Raddmage
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Kakkoii
By Cerberus.Raddmage 2011-06-27 14:25:48  
vv rr apoc nuff said
 Ragnarok.Ashman
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-06-27 14:51:23  
Shiva.Ashmulder said:
Id like you to explain to me why RR/SS/apoc is such a poor choice for a caladbolg drk. Keep in mind i used to rock RR/VV/apoc and theres wasn t that much of a difference, except for the regain when your standing on the sidelines(if that applies)

I don't know because being that I usually am on the sidelines til grellow is done, I never do not use VV. On top of that, I'm only a 7 hit build until I get my WotG earring. I need the regain for that last little bit of tp. I could use carbonara for the extra store tp but then I'm losing considerable amount of attack.
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2011-06-27 14:57:58  
Shouldn't fSTR be capped on DRK without VV in abyssea? If you're using Caldabolg, what's the point then?
 Ragnarok.Returner
user: Nameless
By Ragnarok.Returner 2011-06-27 15:05:28  
most ppl likes the regain and attack resulting from the 50 str. I don't know, I am not a big fan of VV myself so. I can see it being extremely useful when you are sidelined during proc, but that's really about it for Caladbolg.

Edit: and DA sorry.
By Ska681 2011-06-27 15:14:11  
Ragnarok.Ashman said:
I understand. I never implied (or didn't mean to) that RR was inferior. I use mounted champion more often than anything else because if i'm on drk that means we didn't need my war due to some job covering raiden or blues for me (our nin just got a pitchfork so i get to be drk more). I usually am off soloing amber lights and azure after i got claim for my pop-KI's and I am not the best solo'er on drk. It just works out for letting me be lazy and have fun on the job (which is what i do on drk). if we're doing something that doesn't have any fancy ws's to worry about or were not staying long enough to need time/ki's (already farmed KI etc) I will use VV RR AoA and go to town. We had such an abundance of people for the big fish in mis yesterday that we had a brd. With haste, march, and desp blows on it was like hundred fists caladbolg. It never gets old to "meat grinder" on the blm / whm while charmed :3

i would so bind>grav>bliz5 you just cause you think its funny to beat the blm's up
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-06-27 15:19:05  
Ska681 said:
i would so bind>grav>bliz5 you just cause you think its funny to beat the blm's up

The blm is my cousin so all's fair. He was sitting 30 inches away from me and crying about how "even with manawall and buffs it took 3 seconds to chop through him due to aftermath and haste"

It really was funny (especially because due to him being a taru all my swings were over his head)
 Odin.Zicdeh
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-06-27 15:20:47  
Sylph.Systematicchaos said:
Shouldn't fSTR be capped on DRK without VV in abyssea? If you're using Caldabolg, what's the point then?

Not always. fSTR is dependent on Monster VIT. You can cap on one monster, and not another.

The other point is the Attack bonus, along with double attack and regain. Considering a huge amount of Caladbolg's DMG output comes from the aftermath, it's nice to have regain active while you move from place to place, that also saves Meditate for actual battles.
 Shiva.Ashmulder
サーバ: Shiva
user: AshMulder
By Shiva.Ashmulder 2011-06-27 15:25:45  
Ragnarok.Ashman said:
Shiva.Ashmulder said:

I don't know because being that I usually am on the sidelines til grellow is done, I never do not use VV. On top of that, I'm only a 7 hit build until I get my WotG earring. I need the regain for that last little bit of tp. I could use carbonara for the extra store tp but then I'm losing considerable amount of attack.

This is all good and all but it doesn t explain why SS is such a poor choice for a caladbolg owner in a non sideline situation. I do understand the situational use of VV, but i do not understand the "poor choice" of SS
 Diabolos.Raelia
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2011-06-27 17:11:03  
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Considering a huge amount of Caladbolg's DMG output comes from the aftermath,
~16% is huge?

Sanguine Scythe has little value to any DRK except the +HP for Souleater, which a Torc build utilizes less effectively (see: lack of multihit WS option). With the uncapping of +CritDamage it has a little more value to WAR and such, but still sucks for DRK unless you're /THF in which case you've got other issues...

Pumping only 65% (critrate) of 40% (TP phase) of your damage by ~20% (SS +CritDmg) is a paltry 5.2% increase, all estimates just for example. This is fairly low compared to other atma, like Griffon's would give you 60% (WS phase) * 20% (+WSDmg) = 12% increase.

STR has less value to Torc DRKs as well, because once fSTR caps it does nothing for them, TP or WS. Toss in three-minute Last Resort and the LR Effect merits a Torc DRK should have and even the Attack+ loses value very quickly. VV should remain a staple for non-Torc DRKs of all sorts. Roaring Laughter is an apt replacement when going /MNK.

Anyone who thinks they're capping accuracy full time in Abyssea on every target without buffs is a bint. Razed Ruins is a very decent source of Accuracy on top of being a double bonus to crit rate and crit damage. Torcleaver/Quietus don't require (much) accuracy, being single-hits, such that they can forego Razed Ruins for this purpose (I say 'much' because it still has value when wanting DA/TA procs on WS, still gotta land those secondaries).

Note then how Torcleaver is thus the exception for SS, VV, and RR utilization. These are still good atmas for DRK, Torc is just an outlier because of it's VIT mod and most desirable setup.

~~~

DRK/MNK with RR/GH/RL and a high base damage isn't just for soloing. I've blown through an Amarok or two on it (and a few beers at the same time, still not sure how I finished PLD body) recently, and it makes disgustingly (like 'hurry the fack up with that yellow proc') short work of lesser NMs, like Iktomi with only a DNC healing me (whom was having trouble with him solo). 600-650 damage counters do not *** about.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-06-27 17:18:35  
Odin.Zicdeh said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
The fact that your post was one of those that didn't have RR as a staple atma is precisely why I responded to you. The only situation where you shouldn't be using it is a situation where you're focused almost exclusively on DDing via WS damage for whatever reason, in which case you might as well be using Zicdeh's regain/wsdmg build. Log Out

:)
I was thinking it but wasn't gonna say it lol. I'm really not a fan of bringing massive amounts of people to Abyssea, too much hassle.
By Masema 2011-06-27 22:17:15  
I have caladbolg and I usually use /thf with RR/SS/VV. Open with 300% Last Resort+Souleater+Blood Weapon And SA+Torcleaver for 4-7k and watch sparks fly lol. I def wouldnt say SS is not good for DRK. Capping crit dmg for those aftermath hits is a must imo, I have had crits for 2.5k+ so Im guessing set bonus stacks with aftermath which is nice :P
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-06-27 22:17:53  
stopped reading at /thf
 Diabolos.Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2011-06-27 23:16:24  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
stopped reading at /thf
Same. Textbook case of BNS at any rate.
 Ragnarok.Sabretooth
By Ragnarok.Sabretooth 2011-06-27 23:52:17  
I'm gonna try out that /mnk with RL, and GH. As for RR i have been testing stacking damage increasing equipment and atma. With capped haste and triple attack 27% and RR atma i can pump out crits for 600-700 fairly often and get the occasional 1200-1400 critical hits with relic proc. Im still a few coins short to finish my bale set +2 but once i finish that ill tell you what i get.
 Ragnarok.Gunit
user: Gunit
By Ragnarok.Gunit 2011-06-28 00:33:07  
Ragnarok.Sabretooth said:
I'm gonna try out that /mnk with RL, and GH. As for RR i have been testing stacking damage increasing equipment and atma. With capped haste and triple attack 27% and RR atma i can pump out crits for 600-700 fairly often and get the occasional 1200-1400 critical hits with relic proc. Im still a few coins short to finish my bale set +2 but once i finish that ill tell you what i get.
RR should always win for Over all DMG, if the acc comes into play then even more. with ODD crits it pulls a head even more
 Diabolos.Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2011-06-28 20:04:56  
Ragnarok.Gunit said:
Ragnarok.Sabretooth said:
RR should always win for Over all DMG, if the acc comes into play then even more. with ODD crits it pulls a head even more
Yeah /MNK is almost pure melee and counter damage. RR will be the largest boost with +CritDmg already on GH. WSing to self-heal with your Apoc would just be insane and you could definitely solo some NMs for lulz (I ripped 20% off Adumbla without a single heal with this setup).

Consider: RL gives STR, GH gives AGI, RR gives DEX. It's like a perfect combo.

Also, Boost for WS. Handy.
By veddertehtaco 2011-06-30 12:58:10  
well im shitting this place up with grand noobinism trying to post my gearsets an get some advice, almost expect to get laughed outta ffxiah in a moment >_>;; lol
TP

Torcleaver

this is with LR an rcb;atma are apoc/rr/a&o
getting good returns but wanna maximize where i can
 Ragnarok.Lugat
user: Jar
By Ragnarok.Lugat 2011-06-30 16:23:06  
I'm workin on Scythe empy atm (already have GS)

This is what I got
TP:

WS:

With VV RR apoc

veddertehtaco said:
apoc/rr/a&o
Also look into atma of the Lion sometime the -HP on A&O can kill you

and GS sets too :X
TP:

WS LR down:

WS LR up:
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-07-01 10:09:11  

Scorpion Queen is 20 stp. I was thinking of playing with this using SQ AoA and AAO. 4 hit build with ~25% chance to single hit into 100 tp?

If stp caps at some point it would totally piss in my cheerios, but I was thinking of dicking around with this as a shits and giggles sort of thing.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-07-01 10:13:25  
cadushi grip works like the Eisen Grip, pre-nerf, if you need to boost your delay to meet a new x-hit build.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-07-01 10:16:24  
Odin.Zicdeh said:
cadushi grip works like the Eisen Grip, pre-nerf, if you need to boost your delay to meet a new x-hit build.

So, if you used that grip and a redemption with this build, would it still be viable to 4-hit? Is that going to be just a waste of time because of the atma choices and aftermath?

I don't have a cuirass so I can't even play with this yet.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-07-01 11:02:03  
Ragnarok.Ashman said:
Odin.Zicdeh said:

So, if you used that grip and a redemption with this build, would it still be viable to 4-hit? Is that going to be just a waste of time because of the atma choices and aftermath?

I don't have a cuirass so I can't even play with this yet.

I really have no idea. I haven't the time or the inventory space to pursue novelty builds on the chance they might be awesome.

Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
stopped reading at /thf

I usually make it a point to try something before I render a verdict other than the theoretical pros-cons. So yeah, I tried /THF the other day with RR, SS and Apoc.

Total waste of time, even the 8k opening Torcleaver on Kutharei didn't make it worthwhile.
By volkom 2011-07-01 11:19:00  
what do you think of Drk/War with caladbolg for abyssea?
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-07-01 11:19:03  
Odin.Zicdeh said:
I really have no idea. I haven't the time or the inventory space to pursue novelty builds on the chance they might be awesome.

We'll it's promising that I didn't get an immediate Nightfyre "No you're dumb and here's why" response ;3 I don't mind farting around testing novelty builds in my free time, but I was kind of looking for one of those:

"I can already tell this wont work because STP caps at 60" or "The dps inherently with blah blah because of math" etc. I'm just looking to get some opinions on this while i start farming zeni (i need aurum for other options anyhow, so its not a complete loss if this build will be ***).
 Asura.Tawhoya
サーバ: Asura
user: Tawhoya
By Asura.Tawhoya 2011-07-01 11:56:09  
volkom said:

Subbing war does close to nothing for drk these days.
 Odin.Zicdeh
By Odin.Zicdeh 2011-07-01 12:00:52  
Asura.Tawhoya said:
volkom said:

Subbing war does close to nothing for drk these days.

Only situation that comes to mind, is maybe an Absolute Virtue burn, but that's wasted, since Volkom specifically asked about Abyssea.

I'd rate DRK/MNK higher than DRK/WAR in Abyssea, samurai and ninja are about the only worthwhile subs at the moment.
First Page 2 3 4 ... 8 9 10