users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » nub thf questions
nub thf questions
 Ramuh.Thayil
サーバ: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: Thayil
By Ramuh.Thayil 2011-05-04 12:41:34  
K, so, I was actually dumb enough to play around on a new job just for fun, and, before I know it, I'm farming up a Gemini subligar. Now I'm lvl 57 and developing a renewed hatred for scorpions and cactaurs; XPing solo on THF is a ***.

Even though I've been playing this game for several years, I've never really paid much attention to THF. So now I have to throw myself upon the mercy of these forums and hope I don't get flamed for being too ignorant.

Nub THF Question #1
Even though I don't have access to any good WSs yet, I still made provisions in my spellcast to add some DEX for SA and AGI for TA (which, btw, took forever because I couldn't get "if buffactive..." to work with SATA. but anyway...). Looking at a lot of the sets that ppl post here, I see STR is favored even though the primary mod for most dagger WSs is DEX. I realize this is probably assuming they are using atmas like RR or GH, but I've got a shitload more soloing to do before I can get into an Abyssea party (screw leeching). So until then, excluding SATA, I should be focusing on (in order) direct WS mods, then STR for single-hit, but add ACC for multi-hit, correct?

Nub THF Question #2
So what about (SA)(TA)+WS? I'm guessing the best thing to do here is to treat WS mods, DEX and/or AGI with equal priority, and add STR if possible, yes?

Nub THF Question #3
Does Brutal (or anything with Double Attack on it) impact Triple Attack rate?

I think that's it for now. Please, be gentle...
 Phoenix.Kirana
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-05-04 13:00:46  
Ramuh.Thayil said:
K, so, I was actually dumb enough to play around on a new job just for fun, and, before I know it, I'm farming up a Gemini subligar. Now I'm lvl 57 and developing a renewed hatred for scorpions and cactaurs; XPing solo on THF is a ***.

Even though I've been playing this game for several years, I've never really paid much attention to THF. So now I have to throw myself upon the mercy of these forums and hope I don't get flamed for being too ignorant.

Nub THF Question #1
Even though I don't have access to any good WSs yet, I still made provisions in my spellcast to add some DEX for SA and AGI for TA (which, btw, took forever because I couldn't get "if buffactive..." to work with SATA. but anyway...). Looking at a lot of the sets that ppl post here, I see STR is favored even though the primary mod for most dagger WSs is DEX. I realize this is probably assuming they are using atmas like RR or GH, but I've got a shitload more soloing to do before I can get into an Abyssea party (screw leeching). So until then, excluding SATA, I should be focusing on (in order) direct WS mods, then STR for single-hit, but add ACC for multi-hit, correct?

Nub THF Question #2
So what about (SA)(TA)+WS? I'm guessing the best thing to do here is to treat WS mods, DEX and/or AGI with equal priority, and add STR if possible, yes?

Nub THF Question #3

I think that's it for now. Please, be gentle...

1: You currently have access to Viper bite, which when stacked with SATA is quite good. At 60 you will get Dancing edge, and the Assassin job trait. Assassin will allow you to force-crit using TA. At this point, you should start splitting your SA and TA instead of stacking them together. For SA+WS you should be stacking Dex, for TA+WS stack Agi and Dex. Str and Attack are always a bonus, however large amounts of str or attack could be better than dex or agi. Acc shouldn't be much of an issue, but if you are not capping hit-rate, then get some more acc.

2: think I answered that in 1.

3: This is not known for sure. There is a lot of debate on the topic. The most accepted answer is that TA takes priority over DA if both proc at the same time. A newer hypothesis is that they completely cancel each other if both proc at the same time, however the data which prompted this hypothesis was not gathered properly.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Ashman
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-05-04 13:03:17  
Ramuh.Thayil said:
Now I'm lvl 57 and developing a renewed hatred for scorpions and cactaurs; XPing solo on THF is a ***.
You could leech abyssea?

Ramuh.Thayil said:
Nub THF Question #1

Str matters more if you're struggling on high vit mobs. You can also overstack acc. There is a point you reach where attack >>>>>> acc but you have to play around to find that sweetspot.

Ramuh.Thayil said:
Nub THF Question #2

I think it's the same thing. It depends on what you're fighting but THF gets a double whammy from DEX when using SA. Also, once you get assassin trait, you will rarely full on SATA anymore.

Ramuh.Thayil said:
Nub THF Question #3

The theory used to be that DA would go off before TA. I read several tests done lately with abyssea and twilight knife that say otherwise but I am not entirely sure and don't feel comfortable answering. That being said: I, myself, stack both DA and TA when I can but just treat it like my war (ie diminishing returns and all that noise).
By thefinalrune 2011-05-04 13:21:40  
Ramuh.Thayil said:
Now I'm lvl 57 and developing a renewed hatred for scorpions and cactaurs; XPing solo on THF is a ***.
Wow, I remember those days. I solo'd my THF a lot during those levels because it was just after the advent of FoV and thief was still generally not welcome in most normal party situations. I actually did page 5 in Zi'Tah till 59/60 before moving on to the Scorpions and Goblins in Western Altepa. As far as survivability while soloing, are you using bolts? The real strength of THF's survivability lies with its use of status bolts. Sleep bolts allow for mid battle SAs and Acid and Bloody can make battles go smoother, even if /DNC (which personally, I didn't like, but your sub is up to you).

Good luck.
 Ramuh.Thayil
By Ramuh.Thayil 2011-05-04 23:23:57  
Cool, so I guess I'm on the right track. I've been assuming things will be better once I hit 60 because of Assassin & DE, but I did not consider the ATK+ for endgame. Good stuff.

And, yes, I have been sure to keep a crossbow on me at all times. I didn't think about the sleep bolt->SA combo, but I'm definitely gonna try it now.

Thanks guys!
 Leviathan.Draylo
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-05-04 23:32:06  
Nobody should be exping the normal way if you value your time and you have 2hrs+ to devote to the game. Start a shout party to altepa and key leech, it's that simple.
[+]
By Sambb 2011-05-05 07:03:41  
maybe he wants to learn the job properly draylo....

unlike most who lvl a job to 90 and then go ummmm hows this work???
[+]
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-05-05 07:11:17  
Sambb said:
maybe he wants to learn the job properly draylo....

unlike most who lvl a job to 90 and then go ummmm hows this work???

No.... just no.
[+]
 Bahamut.Raenryong
サーバ: Bahamut
user: RaenRyong
By Bahamut.Raenryong 2011-05-05 07:11:33  
You're right, grinding on birds is the only way to learn how to play.
[+]
By rinkydink 2011-05-05 07:12:40  
Leviathan.Draylo said:
Nobody should be exping the normal way if you value your time and you have 2hrs+ to devote to the game. Start a shout party to altepa and key leech, it's that simple.

Ramuh.Thayil said:
I realize this is probably assuming they are using atmas like RR or GH, but I've got a shitload more soloing to do before I can get into an Abyssea party (screw leeching).
 Asura.Eeek
サーバ: Asura
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2011-05-05 07:15:09  
Ramuh.Thayil said:
Cool, so I guess I'm on the right track. I've been assuming things will be better once I hit 60 because of Assassin & DE, but I did not consider the ATK+ for endgame. Good stuff.

And, yes, I have been sure to keep a crossbow on me at all times. I didn't think about the sleep bolt->SA combo, but I'm definitely gonna try it now.

Thanks guys!

If you have space for combat merits, you could dump 8 merits into dagger and get Dancing Edge right now (assuming your dagger skill is capped or nearly capped right now).

That should help speed things up a bit.
 Leviathan.Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-05-05 07:24:51  
rinkydink said:
Leviathan.Draylo said:

Ramuh.Thayil said:
I realize this is probably assuming they are using atmas like RR or GH, but I've got a shitload more soloing to do before I can get into an Abyssea party (screw leeching).

*roll eyes*
 Ramuh.Thayil
By Ramuh.Thayil 2011-05-05 11:01:16  
lol Call me crazy for wanting to skill up, learn what my new job is capable of, level my NPC and get XP all at the same time.

I know it may sound stupid to XP the old-fashioned way when I could leech Abyssea and be 90 in a day. And yes, part of learning how to play THF properly requires being in a party, but I'm not going to get any of that experience by leeching. Plus, I don't want the aggravation of dealing with a million tells from idiots asking if they can leech.

Besides, I like soloing; don't have to deal with dumb players who say "AFK 5 min" then take a nap.

In all honesty, I'm probably going to get tired of soloing around 65-70. Maybe then I'll break down and leech.

Happy now? :P
[+]
 Fenrir.Viperouskaos
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Viperouskaos 2011-05-05 11:45:15  
Ramuh.Thayil said:
lol Call me crazy for wanting to skill up, learn what my new job is capable of, level my NPC and get XP all at the same time.

I know it may sound stupid to XP the old-fashioned way when I could leech Abyssea and be 90 in a day. And yes, part of learning how to play THF properly requires being in a party, but I'm not going to get any of that experience by leeching. Plus, I don't want the aggravation of dealing with a million tells from idiots asking if they can leech.

Besides, I like soloing; don't have to deal with dumb players who say "AFK 5 min" then take a nap.

In all honesty, I'm probably going to get tired of soloing around 65-70. Maybe then I'll break down and leech.

You not "crazy" for wanting skill ups. You are actually smart! There are many that are an "Abyssea <job>" and are gimp as hell! To solo or be in a party is actually learning your Job as a Thief. Farming a Gemini Sub haste is so easy to cap at higher levels that I would recommend that you don't waste too mug time farming an item you will most likely leave in mog house/sack when you can use that time to level up. SA is a Dex Modifier TA is all AGI. AGI is also good for a "solo THF" because of Eva bonus on top of subtle blow bonus per: SE's new update to help the TP feed to a mob. If you become serious about THF you will need 3 gear sets TP SATA and of course you Eva set. Dumping Merits is a good option if not now you will eventually need them to up your damage a bit if you have more questions on JA merits CAT1 CAT2 I'd be glad to give advice on that also. As far as atmas they will be situational depending if you will tank(RR GH Cloak n dagger ebon hoof APOC) or DD (RR VV APOC) is what I use most of the time. Anyway just thought I'd give some advise from my experience as a THF.
 Cerberus.Tikal
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2011-05-05 12:02:59  
Leviathan.Draylo said:
We know you made full use of it.
 Asura.Eeek
サーバ: Asura
user: Eeek
By Asura.Eeek 2011-05-05 12:13:44  
Fenrir.Viperouskaos said:
Ramuh.Thayil said:

You not "crazy" for wanting skill ups. You are actually smart! There are many that are an "Abyssea <job>" and are gimp as hell! To solo or be in a party is actually learning your Job as a Thief. Farming a Gemini Sub haste is so easy to cap at higher levels that I would recommend that you don't waste too mug time farming an item you will most likely leave in mog house/sack when you can use that time to level up. SA is a Dex Modifier TA is all AGI. AGI is also good for a "solo THF" because of Eva bonus on top of subtle blow bonus per: SE's new update to help the TP feed to a mob. If you become serious about THF you will need 3 gear sets TP SATA and of course you Eva set. Dumping Merits is a good option if not now you will eventually need them to up your damage a bit if you have more questions on JA merits CAT1 CAT2 I'd be glad to give advice on that also. As far as atmas they will be situational depending if you will tank(RR GH Cloak n dagger ebon hoof APOC) or DD (RR VV APOC) is what I use most of the time. Anyway just thought I'd give some advise from my experience as a THF.

Most of this is incorrect, but I do agree with the sentiment of exping any way you feel like doing it.

Wanna level solo through FoV? More power to you, Thayil. I hope you're enjoying yourself! :)
 Phoenix.Kirana
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2011-05-05 12:17:46  
The method by which you level up a job has no bearing on your potential to use that job effectively. Yes, you can gain insight on how to use a job correctly by leveling it the traditional way, but you can get that same insight after leeching to 90 anyways. The most important thing is to do research and ask questions. Grinding 90 levels outside of abyssea does not make you good at your job, nor does sitting in an abyssea party leeching. Currently, the most efficient (timewise)way to level a job and become good at it is to leech it to 90 ASAP, gear/merit it, and do research/practice.