フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Staff Wielding Blu's
Staff Wielding Blu's
First Page 2 3 4
 Carbuncle.Vontri
サーバ: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Vontri
By Carbuncle.Vontri 2011-07-11 20:16:51  
I probably couldn't find it somewhere....

But is it really better to use a Staff for magical blu spells?

Doesn't the lack of proficiencies nerf the spells for us? I see so many use them so I assume not but, what's the deal/math of it?
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-07-11 20:20:26  
Carbuncle.Vontri said:
I probably couldn't find it somewhere....

But is it really better to use a Staff for magical blu spells?

Doesn't the lack of proficiencies nerf the spells for us? I see so many use them so I assume not but, what's the deal/math of it?
For magical spells, such as CW, yes, you would use staves if magical spells are your primary means of damage, as they will add a straight +15% Damage to your spells, and +30 M.acc (assuming HQ staves). Nothing else can give us that much of a boost.
(Edit)Also the effects of HQ staves are multiplicative with elemental atmas, resulting in increasing returns.

If you're doing other things such as meleeing, and just want damage on the side, it's generally considered a better use of mp to use physical spells, due to our magical spells' high mp costs. However, if you're burning and you're ONLY doing magic damage, you don't really care about tp and staves are your way to go.

Also our lack of staff skill has nothing to do with the potency of our magic spells, it just means if you try to do a physical spell, you'll be reduced to the base hit rate of 20%
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
サーバ: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2011-07-11 20:20:57  
Is a staff best for all magical spells? I would say no. But HQ thunder staff is what i use for whiskers.
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-07-11 20:23:10  
Shiva.Viciousss said:
Is a staff best for all magical spells? I would say no. But HQ thunder staff is what i use for whiskers.
Like I said, it depends on the situation, are you only using magical damage, or is it just damage on the side? +15% is +15%
[+]
 Carbuncle.Vontri
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Vontri
By Carbuncle.Vontri 2011-07-11 20:25:45  
Ahh okay, thank you very much.
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-07-11 20:28:51  
Carbuncle.Vontri said:
Ahh okay, thank you very much.
NP, you're welcome :D
[+]
By Eugene 2011-07-11 20:29:22  
I'll wield my staff with chivalry and valor
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-07-11 20:30:08  
Eugene said:
I'll wield my staff with chivalry and valor
I'll pull out yo weave genie
[+]
By Eugene 2011-07-11 20:30:49  
rawr
By Varchesis 2011-07-15 22:58:18  
HQ staves- Check!
Elemental Grips- Check!
mACC Gear- Check!
mATK Gear- Check!

MM, Beyond, Apoc- Check!
[sure there's more mATK to be had but insta-cast can be a god-send plus Auto-Reraise, tho I do like Baying Moon also]

Yellow proc muling, post-proc DMG'ing, 100% magical casting- Check!
Chunks of HP disappearing and ppl checking my gear- Check!
Putting the 'mage' back in Blue Mage- Check!

I'm lovin' it- Check!
[+]
 Phoenix.Fondue
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Caliber
By Phoenix.Fondue 2011-07-15 23:01:01  
Varchesis said:
HQ staves- Check!
Elemental Grips- Check!
mACC Gear- Check!
mATK Gear- Check!

MM, Beyond, Apoc- Check!
[sure there's more mATK to be had but insta-cast can be a god-send plus Auto-Reraise, tho I do like Baying Moon also]

Yellow proc muling, post-proc DMG'ing, 100% magical casting- Check!
Chunks of HP disappearing and ppl checking my gear- Check!
Putting the 'mage' back in Blue Mage- Check!

I'm lovin' it- Check!
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-07-15 23:01:50  
Actually HQ staffs aren't diminishing returns with Atmas. It's multiplicative instead of additive unlike the trial staffs, which, BLU can't wear to begin with.
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-07-15 23:03:37  
Varchesis said:
Elemental Grips- Check!
lolwhat
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-07-15 23:04:46  
Cerberus.Wolfshadow said:
Varchesis said:
Elemental Grips- Check! Apoc Atma
lolwhat
[+]
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-07-15 23:04:49  
Ramuh.Austar said:
Actually HQ staffs aren't diminishing returns with Atmas. It's multiplicative instead of additive unlike the trial staffs, which, BLU can't wear to begin with.
Oh really? I figured since they contain elemental affinity they were treated like the magian staves, can anyone confirm this?

My B in advance
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-07-15 23:05:59  
Ramuh.Austar said:
Oh really? I figured since they contain elemental affinity they were treated like the magian staves, can anyone confirm this?

My B in advance
Well, according to wiki at least:

Quote:
Curiously, this calculation difference causes the level 51 elemental staves to gain strength while using atma which increase magic affinity. As shown in the previous example, using Varuna's Staff +2 with Atma of the Beyond yields a total affinity bonus of 1.6 (60%); however, wielding the level 51 HQ elemental staves actually grant an extra 4.5% bonus to affinity due to the multiplication (130% x 15% = 149.5% instead of 130% + 15% = 145%) Ultimately, the level 51 elemental staves experience greater growth with higher degrees of base (without either staff) magic affinity; however, the base magic affinity required for a level 51 elemental stave to even equal a Magian stave is at least 200% base affinity (200% x 1.15 = 230% HQ stave vs 200% + 30% = 230% Magian stave).
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-07-15 23:07:45  
Curious, oh well, my B
However this only reinforces my previous statement that staves should always be used in magic-type priority situations
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-07-15 23:08:31  
Curious, oh well, my B
However this only reinforces my previous statement that staves should always be used in magic-type priority situations
Agreed, was just throwing it out there for you.
 Cerberus.Wolfshadow
By Cerberus.Wolfshadow 2011-07-15 23:09:28  
Ramuh.Austar said:
Curious, oh well, my B
Daw, ain't you a peach~
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-07-15 23:10:27  
Ramuh.Austar said:
Curious, oh well, my B
Daw, ain't you a peach~
^.~
By Varchesis 2011-07-15 23:26:34  
Elemental grips... convert 20 HP to MP, [insert Element] mACC+2

I'm Elvaan. See the ears? Until I see a mavi grip, it's elemental grips ftw
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-07-15 23:27:16  
That still doesn't explain why you're using crappy grips that take up too much inventory space.
[+]
By Varchesis 2011-07-15 23:30:10  
Actually, since SE is leaning BLU a bit more towards magical, can we get some staff skill? Or is it to be Magian swords forever?
By Varchesis 2011-07-15 23:31:30  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
That still doesn't explain why you're using crappy grips that take up too much inventory space.

I thought I did explain it. Grip suggestion for 100% staff BLU?
By Varchesis 2011-07-15 23:34:36  
Is there any difference comparing BLUs who carry many swords for: DMG reduction, STR, DEX, AGI, mATK, Evasion, etc?

I see no difference and inventory is a problem no matter what my style. Since I use these previously mentioned grips on BLM and SMN anyway where is the loss?

Sorry forgot to quote...
/facepalm
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-07-15 23:36:04  
Your "explanation" didn't highlight anything of actual value. MP+ is diluted by refresh rate/Convert and macc+ is only good if you actually need it, not to mention INT also offers macc for most of our nukes these days. Bugard Strap +1 for most things, if you're feeling fancy add Gatta +1 or Spear for Charged Whisker and Reign or that other new MND+3 grip for Mind Blast.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-07-15 23:37:50  
Varchesis said:
Is there any difference comparing BLUs who carry many swords for: DMG reduction, STR, DEX, AGI, mATK, Evasion, etc?

I see no difference and inventory is a problem no matter what my style. Since I use these previously mentioned grips on BLM and SMN anyway where is the loss?

Sorry forgot to quote...
/facepalm
Those swords offer significant stat bonuses, as opposed to the minor to nonexistent benefits of the elemental grips. If inventory is an issue the obvious solution is to consolidate... not sure why you're using them on BLM or SMN either for that matter. Dark Grip at most for BLM, Bugard +1 or Wise for nukes.

EDIT: Wait no, there's those skill+3 grips. Nevermind Dark Grip.
[+]
By Varchesis 2011-07-15 23:50:41  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Your "explanation" didn't highlight anything of actual value. MP+ is diluted by refresh rate/Convert and macc+ is only good if you actually need it, not to mention INT also offers macc for most of our nukes these days. Bugard Strap +1 for most things, if you're feeling fancy add Gatta +1 or Spear for Charged Whisker and Reign or that other new MND+3 grip for Mind Blast.

Understood. But wouldn't these also take up just as much if not more inventory space (having a grip for every spell versus every element)? I mean, how many grips would be optimal? 2? 6? 20?
If you're talking about pure min-maxing here you would need exactly the same number of grips for each element and then ones for each spell that was set and it's stat boost minus any grip that would enhance spells sharing stat boosts and elements.

Personally, I just find it better to use the elemental grips because, as stated, they're helpful for more than just my BLU. Reducing frustration and inventory problems. Sure it's not the most maximized way to do it but my sanity has its limits.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-07-15 23:56:00  
Varchesis said:
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:

Understood. But wouldn't these also take up just as much if not more inventory space (having a grip for every spell versus every element)? I mean, how many grips would be optimal? 2? 6? 20?
If you're talking about pure min-maxing here you would need exactly the same number of grips for each element and then ones for each spell that was set and it's stat boost minus any grip that would enhance spells sharing stat boosts and elements.

Personally, I just find it better to use the elemental grips because, as stated, they're helpful for more than just my BLU. Reducing frustration and inventory problems. Sure it's not the most maximized way to do it but my sanity has its limits.
A lot of the stat grips such as Reign and Bugard grip cover multiple stats.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-07-15 23:58:11  
You're trying way too hard to rationalize your choice of grips here. The three grips I listed (Bugard +1, Spear/Gatta +1, Reign) cover everything for BLU. SMN shouldn't be using one of these grips at all (skill+ grip hi2u) and BLM really only needs Bugard +1 (or the HQ fast cast grip, which also works for BLU in place of Bugard +1) and Caecus for casting, maybe Fulcio if you're going for a Phalanx tier but macc+ doesn't do anything for that regardless.
First Page 2 3 4