フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Thief » My thf killing to slow. what daggers should i use
My thf killing to slow. what daggers should i use
First Page 2 3
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2012-03-09 23:13:53  
my thief have never been on of my jobs to really pimp out, however i find me more and more tanking on it inside aby. but i just kill SOOOO slow compared to my kannagi nin.

Im using twillight knife + triplus
i don't wanna do twatwasher s its to much work for a meh empy weapon.
im trying to work on mandau instead buts its gonna take time.

any quick in between dagger i can get to boost my killing speed.

im thinking ToM str dagger but im not sure which dagger to wield with it str/twillight or str/triplus

TY for feedback
 Asura.Lokimaru
サーバ: Asura
user: Rocketpop
By Asura.Lokimaru 2012-03-09 23:14:57  
STR/STR

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-03-09 23:15:28  
STR/STR

RQT, tell your friends.
[+]
By Solrain 2012-03-09 23:45:13  
Definitely do at least one STR Thokcha (which will be forever useful since you're working on Mandau), although I feel the time and resources spent working on a second one would be better spent farming for gil/currency towards said Mandau instead.

As for the kill-speed problem - how's your other gear looking? That might be the bigger issue here. Regardless, you're going to be hard-pressed to surpass your Kannagi NIN on THF in the killing department.
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2012-03-10 00:06:30  
STR/STR is your best bet in terms of weapons. Do post your gear sets, though. THF damage is pretty abhorrent regardless, but I'm sure there could be room for improvement.
 Bismarck.Caithsith
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Caithsith
By Bismarck.Caithsith 2012-03-10 00:07:17  
i like all people saying twashtar is meh. Not just because i use it but it one of the serious empy out there. Since bully on solo Rudra can do serious damage. Even outside abyssea.
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2012-03-10 00:12:18  
Phoenix.Gaiarorshack said: »
my thief have never been on of my jobs to really pimp out, however i find me more and more tanking on it inside aby. but i just kill SOOOO slow compared to my kannagi nin.

TY for feedback

Daggers, in general, are less-damaging than Katana. Inside Abyssea, using Blade:Hi, your NIN is going to kill mobs more quickly than a THF, unless the mob is weak to Piercing Damage.

So, if you're hoping that your non-Mandau THF is going to keep pace with your NIN, you're probably waiting for a ship that ain't gonna come in.

For inside Abyssea, assuming your Dagger Skill is capped for level 99, you can readily cap accuracy and Haste on THF for almost all targets, with even mediocre Atma and equipment. So, if you want to boost damage, just go for lots of STR+ and Attack+.

Your best bet, though, more than likely, is to find some bum with any old THF to tag-along with you for TH duty, and use your NIN.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Fenrir.Frobos
user: Frobos
By Fenrir.Frobos 2012-03-10 07:28:55  
Bismarck.Caithsith said: »
i like all people saying twashtar is meh. Not just because i use it but it one of the serious empy out there. Since bully on solo Rudra can do serious damage. Even outside abyssea.

I agree with this. Bully helps out a lot and every 3 min isn't that bad. Plus if bully is down, and you're duoing with a mage, you can have your mage stand in front of you for a TA RS, then accomplice them. 5-6k damage a pop isn't meh to me. Just my opinion.
[+]
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2012-03-10 08:01:11  
Bismarck.Elanabelle said: »

So, if you're hoping that your non-Mandau THF is going to keep pace with your NIN, you're probably waiting for a ship that ain't gonna come in.

Your best bet, though, more than likely, is to find some bum with any old THF to tag-along with you for TH duty, and use your NIN.

im not expecting thief to keep pace i was just looking for a quick way to close the gap a bit.

and getting a bum thief tag along. thats is an idea im using but meh mostly don't have the same TH level. having someone else to tank would be better then ican bring full th gear + atma. i just dont trust others to tank my stuff ^.^

TP gear

WS Evis Gear
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-03-10 08:06:14  
TP: Swap hands to AF3+2, Rancor Collar, and 3% Haste boots that don't lower other stats, like Athos's boots, homam, or ryuga sune-ate.
 Quetzalcoatl.Artichaos
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: styleszuk
By Quetzalcoatl.Artichaos 2012-03-10 08:07:58  
Ramuh.Austar said: »
TP: Swap hands to AF3+2, Rancor Collar, and 3% Haste boots that don't lower other stats, like Athos's boots, homam, or ryuga sune-ate.
This ^
Your over shooting haste in your current TP set.
Also Twilight Torque is a idle, pdt/mdt piece never for TP rancor all the way for WS and TP (WS if evis)
 Fenrir.Kut
user: Kutsurabi
By Fenrir.Kut 2012-03-10 08:09:48  
Losing TP by switching back to Boomerang isn't worth it. Also, I prefer Tumbler Trunks, Cuchulain's Belt, and Pixie/Raider's Earring over what you have on your current Evis set.
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2012-03-10 08:11:34  
About the twatwasher beeing meh

compared to getting ukon or kannagi or even masamune before soha got here, and now the vert for mnk almost done.
it just doesn't seem like doing a twatwasher is up to the same dmg boost. i might have looked at it wrong though.

and then having to famr for a third round og tharongy popset for what looks to be and inferior dmg boost is just not worth the effort i think.

Also these are abyssea jobs for me i dont use thief in VW at all. so i would rather go a round of alamce for pally, bow for rng or armageddon for cor and get myself another usefull job for VW.

but if you are saying twatwaster is the deal here and is the top knotch dagger i might look into it. but until then i still need some better daggers to work with.
 Leviathan.Duzell
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Duzell 2012-03-10 08:14:35  
Re-equipping your boomerang after each WS erases the TP return on each eviseration, its not alot but it adds up fast all that TP loss over a longer engagement. Just something to think about
[+]
 Phoenix.Hagino
user: hagino
By Phoenix.Hagino 2012-03-10 08:14:39  
Clearly not doing it right.

Im surprised noone mentioned qilin daggers.

Ive had a 90 twashtar shortly after hero's and have loved it. I am just sad that mandau has now clearly blown it out of the water thus me finally obtaining one.

Much improvement for gear.

Toci's harness, relic +2 boots gloves from beetle and rancor's collar are a good start for some changes.
 Ramuh.Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2012-03-10 08:15:31  
WS: Cuchulain's Belt, Attack earring over augmented light, and keep raider's boomerang on. Kacura +1 feet, rancorous mantle+justiciar's torque.
 Phoenix.Ninjie
user: ninjie
By Phoenix.Ninjie 2012-03-10 08:17:25  
Phoenix.Hagino said: »
^
What this guy said.
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2012-03-10 08:19:34  

... 26% haste + haste hands ....*facepalm* im sorry im sorry
i will go fix that at once.

tping in rancor i dont want to. I know its a huge let down on my dmg especially inside aby.

but i kinda like that ~15% less dmg taking when im dual-boxing the healer.
also i saw a thief get ko from full hp against turul that i then tanked half naked ( my iga gear was still in mogle storage so i had ninja chain mail and ring belt etc etc). he tp'ed in rancor i tp in twilight. eyeballing for the win yeah..

and yes i know i can make gearswap for big nukes and to anticipate mobs ws moves. but i aint up for that yet so better lower my dmg and keep myself alive. than to use so optimalt set that does just not work for me.
 Fenrir.Frobos
user: Frobos
By Fenrir.Frobos 2012-03-10 08:26:22  

... 26% haste + haste hands ....*facepalm* im sorry im sorry
i will go fix that at once.

tping in rancor i dont want to. i know its a huge let down on my dmg espsically inside aby.

but i kinda like that ~15% less dmg taking when im dualboxing the healer.
also i saw a thief get ko from fullhp against turul that i then tanked half naked ( my iga gear was still in mogle storage so i had ninja chainmail and ring belt etc etc). he tp'ed in rancor i tp in twilight. eyeballing for the win yeah..

and yes i know icna make gearswap for big nukes and to anticipate mobs ws moves. but i aint up for that yet so better lower my dmg and keep myself alive. than to use so optimalt set that does juat not work for me.

It was most likely the spikes that killed him. Thief swings so much and the spikes damage is high per hit. If it was a nuke that killed him, thf can cap -mdt with Shellra V. Just swap into -mdt when the mob nukes. Besides that you should be evading almost everything else.
 Odin.Sheelay
サーバ: Odin
user: Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2012-03-10 08:26:58  
Don't be afraid of Rancor collar's extra dmg taken. The chances are, if you get one shot with it, you would've gotten one shot without it as well. Besides, in Aby you can always zombie or cure tank on whm.

If you don't want to make a Twashtar or even one STR dagger you could always join a Qilin (or two, or three..) and get Lux pulgio (and dream of a Coruscanti).

It's not as uber rare as Coruscanti and not a bad dagger.

Personally, I am too lazy and busy to make ToM daggers for THF, even though I play it very often, but then again I am sufficiently satisfied with Lux/Oynos and my ws set:

+3 DA on head, Atk/TP Bonus Moonshade and +3 STR aug on feet. I am probably going to work on Af2+2 feet as further improvement for Evis and call it a night
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2012-03-10 08:30:20  
If you're not going to TP in Rancor like you should at least TP in something else, Twilight Torque is pointless in TP, 5% will be a barely noticable damage reduction, better off with Agasya's, Love Torque, Peacock Charm even, so many things are better.
 Phoenix.Hagino
By Phoenix.Hagino 2012-03-10 08:34:36  
My current TP set that needs some more work.

Current WS set (RS and evis with minor tweaks between the two) still needs improvement

My current mercy stroke set that i'm building
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2012-03-10 08:43:36  
Hagino, as further improvement to your TP set you basically mean completing Mandau, or am I missing something?
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2012-03-10 08:43:54  
Fenrir.Kut said: »
Losing TP by switching back to Boomerang isn't worth it. Also, I prefer Tumbler Trunks, Cuchulain's Belt, and Pixie/Raider's Earring over what you have on your current Evis set.

why would you want raiders earring above brutal

not counting in diminish returns brutal is 5% more swings, raiders is 2%
in other worst brutal gives you 150% more boost to you swings than raiders.i have a hard time seeing 3 evasion make up for that.

what parts of "my thief have never been on of my jobs to really pimp out" did you not understand

or did i forgot people only play on jobs top pimped out.

besides the wastefull haste hands i don't see it beeing doing wrong. just not been doing it on top gear. There is a big difference.

and guys i love all the advice on VW gear but erm. this was a question based on some quick middle ground improvements i can go do on my own, fast until i get better gear ( a couple of quick dagger while working on mandau).

why is it people never understand the difference between top gear and bridge gear to get to top gear
 Phoenix.Hagino
By Phoenix.Hagino 2012-03-10 08:45:46  
http://www.ffxiah.com/item/10505/nomkahpa-mittens

need those ;)
[+]
 Bahamut.Fistandantilus
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Fistandantilus 2012-03-10 08:47:29  
Using haste hands when thf can easily cap haste, while using af3 +2 hands is not going "suboptimal" it screams "I don't really understand what should be prioritized in a melee tp set."

Or these
 Odin.Sheelay
By Odin.Sheelay 2012-03-10 08:47:44  
Takes less to get a Lux than to make a fire path dagger imho.

Don't get mad at people not understanding exactly your questions and their limitations, or wanting to add more. Sometimes it's hard to comprehend what you type.

I totally forgot about those.
 Phoenix.Hagino
By Phoenix.Hagino 2012-03-10 08:53:03  
Fenrir.Kut said: »

why would you want raiders earring above brutal

not counting in diminish returns brutal is 5% more swings, raiders is 2%
in other worst brutal gives you 150% more boost to you swings than raiders.i have a hard time seeing 3 evasion make up for that.

what parts of "my thief have never been on of my jobs to really pimp out" did you not understand

or didi i forgot people only paly on jobs top pimped out.

besides thet wastefull haste hands i don't seeit beeing doing wrong. just not been doing it on top gear. there is a big difference.

and guys i love all the advice on VW gear but erm. this was a question based on some quick middle ground improvements i can go do on my own, fast until i get better gear ( a couple of quick dagger while working on mandau).

why is it people never understand the difference between top gear and bridge gear to get to top gear

I dont consider a neck change and VW to take that much time, its quicker to do 20 qilin runs over doing a ToM dagger.

Its just the weird odds and ends that have/do and the wanting quick effortless improvements you're looking to do. THF is my main so I kind of don't like it when people just kind of "meh" it. I'm not sure why you're doing mandau though since it doesnt seem like you're that committed to the job. You dont even want to gear swap. I havent even listed the MDT evasion or any of my other random gear sets (regen for dynamis and idle)

just a heads up though my nin isnt a slouch either so don't i hope you dont think im some one kind of one trick pony. I dont know what hours you play because we're on the same server. But if you can catch me on during JP hours I can show you how the job is done if you're interested.

Don't feel as if I'm attacking you, Just think of it as constructive criticism. If you see that there is anything wrong with my gear please do point it out so i can improve upon it.
First Page 2 3