users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Servers » Asura » Returning possibly
Returning possibly
 Asura.Gdisob
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: JChapman
By Asura.Gdisob 2013-01-03 06:19:51  
So I have been thinking of coming back AGAIN. However, I hear that this game has changed ALOT in the last 4 years.
I downloaded the game up to Abyssea and will be trying to locate all my info to switch to the new way of logging in and paying.
Is there anything else I should know?
Im starting with my 75 WAR to 99 1st as I hear THF is useless in endgame.
But now that Dynamis appears to be soloable maybe i should do THF and use the cash to gear WAR for endgame?
Any input or tips for a returning player is welcome.
 Odin.Creaucent
サーバ: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2013-01-03 06:32:58  
Just get to 99 first you need to work on abyssea atmas and abyssites check wiki theres a nice bit explaining what they do. Once you get 99 cap all skills and merits. You then need to start on af3 you need seals for the +1 and various items for the +2 again theres a good list on wiki. It is a lot of boring work but its worth it. Then comes Voidwatch which has some nice drops you will need to do cities t1-4 jeuno t1-6 zilart t1-3 WG/CoP t1-2. Try and find an empy group and get a ukonvasara made which is one of the best GAs in the game atm. If you are serious about war read the war guide thats stickied in the war forums.
 Asura.Gdisob
By Asura.Gdisob 2013-01-03 14:01:47  
Thanks! and by the way did you used to be on Asura?
 Odin.Creaucent
サーバ: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2013-01-03 14:15:27  
Nah ifrit then odin.
 Carbuncle.Funsam
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: funsam
By Carbuncle.Funsam 2013-01-03 14:16:36  
I disagree with THF is useless in endgame, we all want that placebo effect & extra chance of drops, well either that or killing a taru & we starting to run outta taru's these days.

although a few events like Voidwatch(few expetitons like prov fight mega boss), Nyzul isle lv99 u get drops for completing & not based on nm drops. but in stuff like legion, salvage lv99 then a thief always useful cuts down on time spent to complete items.

Either way won't take long to get back into game & your skill playing whichever job u choose to level up, but how quickly u can get decent lv99 gear is based on the help u can get in game, Unfortunately the game now harder to find people that are helpful not like it was back 4 years ago.

Welcome back & just enjoy yourself.

ps, Life is a marathon not a sprint, enjoy the journey not the final goal only.
[+]
 Asura.Gdisob
By Asura.Gdisob 2013-01-07 07:50:51  
But should i start THF to gear WAR through gil or just start WAR?
 Carbuncle.Sambb
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Sambb
By Carbuncle.Sambb 2013-01-07 08:14:15  
there isnt alot of gear you buy with gil for war, alot of the items are R/X come from abyssea or come from voidwatch. You start paying gil for war when you decide " I should build a ragnarok " or something like that or "i'm making my ukon lvl 99"

Focus on your warrior artifact set from abyssea and thiefs aswell. They cost nothing but time.
 Fenrir.Moldtech
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Moldtech
By Fenrir.Moldtech 2013-01-07 08:45:05  
No, no, no...1st and foremost, start all stone timers!!!!
Abyssea and voidwatch stone timers....THEN do all the leveling to 99 and such.
[+]
 Phoenix.Kirana
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Kirana 2013-01-07 09:00:10  
Fenrir.Moldtech said: »
No, no, no...1st and foremost, start all stone timers!!!!
Abyssea and voidwatch stone timers....THEN do all the leveling to 99 and such.
This. If you have not started the abbyssea or voidwatch questlines, start them asap. These events require stones which accrue over time after starting the questline, so the sooner the better. There are also key items you can get to increase the rate, so try to get these also.
[+]
 Asura.Gdisob
By Asura.Gdisob 2013-01-07 09:26:22  
Ok cool ill do that thanks!
 Asura.Gdisob
By Asura.Gdisob 2013-01-07 15:44:16  
Officially got my login for POL account today now just gonna install and be up and running. TheFightingHellfish better be glad to se my pearl on the LS!
 Asura.Gdisob
By Asura.Gdisob 2013-01-08 07:07:18  
Where is the best spot to solo lvl starting at 75-99? for THF and or WAR. Or is it fairly easy to get a party now at 75 still?
 Fenrir.Moldtech
By Fenrir.Moldtech 2013-01-08 07:18:50  
Er, dunno of this soloing at lv75-99 stuff, never heard of it. If you have the stones, Abyssea La Theine around L-7/L-8 (slightly North East of where the crag would be) is a little cove where many a worm congregate, there might be a worm party there going on that you'll really want to be joining. Best xp in the game in my opinion, IF everyone in the group is pulling their weight you can expect 350k xp an hour.
 Quetzalcoatl.Katashuro
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sephyrus
By Quetzalcoatl.Katashuro 2013-01-08 07:40:42  
If you want to conserve your traverser stones for stuff like AF3 you can exp in Bostaunieux Oubliette(the dungeon under Sandy) on the bottom floor where Bloodsuckers are. There's a book to start the regime for killing those.
More often than not there should be people exping and an alliance is not uncommon which puts you over 100k exp/hour.

Not the best but a good alternative to conserve stones at the beginning and still make progress.
[+]
 Asura.Gdisob
By Asura.Gdisob 2013-01-08 09:25:47  
Not even sure what the stone and all these things are last expansion was Wings that I played. Dont really see a levling guide posted like the old ones we used to have.
By Raffie 2013-01-08 09:35:44  
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Traverser_stone
 Asura.Gdisob
By Asura.Gdisob 2013-01-08 13:25:21  
Do people mainly xp in Abyssea zones? It seems like time is limited there.
 Fenrir.Moldtech
By Fenrir.Moldtech 2013-01-08 13:38:13  
Asura.Gdisob said: »
Do people mainly xp in Abyssea zones? It seems like time is limited there.

Yes, and inside you get time extensions from the blue boxes that give an extra 10 minutes, you can accumulate unlimited time from this. However, that time is only for being in there at that moment.

Let's say you accumulate 500 minutes but you exit and then come back or go to another abyssea zone, you'll start with only 120 minutes. The time saved is capped at the entry maximum of 120 minutes.

There is a ton of information you'll be wanting to read up on about abyssea, it's a lot more than this thread will probably cover. Like lights, proc's, etc.
 Quetzalcoatl.Katashuro
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sephyrus
By Quetzalcoatl.Katashuro 2013-01-08 16:35:05  
http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Abyssea_Guide
By Mookies 2013-01-08 16:58:24  
Wouldn't choose war as my first 99. I'd go BLM if you have it so that you can clear vw paths and farm them for gear and money for other jobs you want to play.

The issue is most dd will not get taken to VW pugs if they do not have an empyrean weapon. And unless you've got enough gil to pay mercs to get you one, I'd focus on leveling a low gear req gateway job like BLM (proc *** in abby and VW) to get yourself set up. And while WAR has its use in Abyssea, if you're pugging for papers or +2 items BLM will get you in more parties.

This is ofc if you are going at it solo. If you've got friends or a linkshell to help you out things can be very different.

Edit:

Also don't forget to start the abyssea quest so that you begin generating stones. And start the voidwatch quest as well in one of the main cities so that you start generating those stones. You will need LOTS of them and they regenerate on a daily timer. Do this no matter what, because if you end up quitting and coming back later (or at the expansion) you'll have plenty of stones to get stuff done.