[Dev] Binding Coil Turn 5 Adjustments
VIP
By Kalila 2013-11-01 10:24:27  
10-30-2013 12:51 AM
[source]
Naoki Yoshida
Dev Team

Maintenance and Changes to the Binding Coil of Bahamut - Turn 5

FFXIV: ARR Producer and Director Yoshi-P here.

We're going to make a few adjustments to Turn 5 of the Binding Coil of Bahamut in today's maintenance, and so I'd like to take a moment to go over the details with you all.

But first, I have another important announcement to make. On October 26, 2013 (PDT), a group of daring adventurers on Excalibur has managed to clear all five turns of the Binding Coil!

This is a world-first, and we couldn't be more excited for you. Congratulations on a job well done!!!

• Adjustments to Twintania

Turn 5 has been closed several times due to critical bugs, and we've received a great deal of questions and feedback regarding this instance. We have a great deal of respect for our players who continue to take on this incredibly difficult battle.

The Binding Coil of Bahamut is the first endgame encounter we've had the opportunity to create for FFXIV: ARR. It has taught us a great deal about how to go about creating more exciting challenges in the future.

Because we've received so much feedback regarding this encounter, I've decided to make this announcement regarding fixes and adjustments to Twintania. Please also bear in mind that in order to implement these changes, we will be having maintenance today from 11:00 p.m. (PDT) / 6:00 (GMT) until 2:00 a.m. (PDT) / 9:00 (GMT).

Now then, let's take a look at the changes being made to Turn 5.

1. Twintania Phase 2: Hygieia

In the second phase where players must engage the Hygieia, we have received a number of reports that when these enemies are defeated immediately after spawning, or are stunned at the moment they are defeated, on rare occasions these enemies would continue to persist with 0 HP. After a thorough investigation, we've discovered this was a critical bug from release that occurs when stunning an enemy that readies an action just as it's being defeated. You'll be happy to know that this bug has been fixed. I apologize for any trouble this may have caused.

2. Status Effects and Twintania's Firestorm

We've also received a great deal of feedback regarding Firestorm and the effect of status ailments on Firestorm.

Players caught within Firestorm will be immobilized and take damage over time. If they are unable to break out of the firestorm within a certain amount of time, they will be incapacitated. However, players who are caught within Firestorm will not be targeted by enemies. There have been many questions regarding this on the English forums and several videos as well, but the effects of Firestorm have both advantages and disadvantages, and it would not be considered an exploit to take advantage of the effects of Firestorm.

Having said that, the fact that status ailments are effective against Firestorm essentially takes away its disadvantages, which ultimately upsets the balance of this encounter. As we make overall adjustments to the difficulty of this encounter, this aspect of Firestorm will be changed along with Twister, as I'll explain in the next section.

3. Twintania's Twister

A number of players have asked if the mechanics of Twister are random, but as we have answered previously, this is not a random attack. That said, we believe the timing of this attack to be too unforgiving. Although we will be changing Firestorm, making it more difficult to handle, adjustments will be made to Twister so that the timing required to survive this attack is not quite so severe.

I apologize again for the sudden maintenance, but we feel these balance adjustments need to be made as quickly as possible.

We've learned a great deal creating the Binding Coil of Bahamut, and in the years to come, we will put this newfound knowledge to great use as we create more exciting encounters for our players.

We look forward to your continued support of FINAL FANTASY XIV: A Realm Reborn.

BG are Pride of West
[+]