[+]
 Asura.Darvamos
VIP
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Demmis
By Asura.Darvamos 2014-05-15 15:36:12  
Quote:
This is far from true.. I started spellcast by grabbing premade and eventually was able to write my own from scratch. I tried the same w/ Motes THF lua and can't get it to do pretty much anything I want it to. It doesn't help that theres 5 files that somehow all interact with the THF lua I am trying to learn so I have no idea what is going on... Glad spellcast works well enough for now until I can wrap my head around GS

This is why when people ask me for help on Gearswap if they're using Mote's files I tell them to switch to an easier one. While Mote makes great GS files and yes they are easy to add in your own gear once you start trying to mess with other parts of it the 3-5 files do start to become a problem if you don't have atleast basic understanding of whats going on; probably 98% of FFXI population.

My recommendation for a lot of people is this:
1) Use Mote's learn to edit gear or use simpler file to start with.
2) Now defiantly get a simpler GS and learn to edit & add your own stuff besides gear (spell, ja, ws conditions, etc...)
3) If you become advanced enough either write your own or mod the crap out of Mote's because you understand what is going on.

Nothing against you Mote like I said you make some great files but it just seems overly complex for most people form what I've seen and been asked from friends. To jump right into editing your files if you don't have some basic programming knowledge besides lol SC XMLs.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Killkenny
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Killkenny
By Carbuncle.Killkenny 2014-05-15 16:14:35  
Lakshmi.Eyrhika said: »
This is far from true.. I started spellcast by grabbing premade and eventually was able to write my own from scratch. I tried the same w/ Motes THF lua and can't get it to do pretty much anything I want it to. It doesn't help that theres 5 files that somehow all interact with the THF lua I am trying to learn so I have no idea what is going on... Glad spellcast works well enough for now until I can wrap my head around GS

If you can't make sense of Mote's Gearswap files then you would have had the exact same issues with his Spellcast files. They are simple to just change the gear in the sets, but in neither case would a beginner have much joy understanding all the rules.

If you take one of the many more basic premade files off BG you will see immediately that it is as easy, if not easier than spellcast was. Its just capable of far more, but you wouldn't have had half of those more features in spellcast anyway.
 Cerberus.Reiden
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Reiden
By Cerberus.Reiden 2014-05-15 16:16:09  
any of Motenten files makes me feel like i'm in pre-calc again
 Lakshmi.Eyrhika
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Eyrhika
By Lakshmi.Eyrhika 2014-05-15 16:44:12  
Edit: Found the problem

Also, in spellcast you could make rules based on specific zones or targets, is that possible with gearswap?
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2014-05-15 17:02:18  
Sure:
Code
if world.area == 'Dho Gates' then
    equip(sets.Doh_Gear)
end

if spell.target.name == 'Kirin' then
    equip(sets.outdated_resist_set)
end

if player.target.name == 'Wopket' then
    equip(sets.Accuracy_TP)
end

spell.target is the target for your current spell, while player.target is your current target (like from <t>). You also get access to player.subtarget (if it exists).

You can find these variable descriptions in the Variables.xlsx that downloaded with your gearswap copy.
 Asura.Tamoa
user: Tamoa
By Asura.Tamoa 2014-05-15 17:19:40  
Lakshmi.Byrth said: »
If you are using one of Motenten's files, read the documentation. If you made your own file, pastebin it.

Using Motenten's file for sam. Only thing I have done is edit the gear, haven't touched anything else. Read through tutorials here and there and I'm none the wiser. I can swap to PDT or MDT gear, but then it refuses to change back to tp gear. Can still change between PDT and MDT. Doesn't swap back to idle gear either, when disengaging. I've had issues with Spellcast not changing gear correctly (very often leaving me in half ws/half tp gear after a ws), this seems so much smoother so I want to learn and start using it, and now I feel so dumb for already having trouble making it work. :(
 Lakshmi.Byrth
VIP
user: Byrthnoth
By Lakshmi.Byrth 2014-05-15 17:22:22  
Try hitting your PDT or MDT trigger twice. It's possible that it is a toggle.
 Odin.Calipso
サーバ: Odin
user: Calipso
By Odin.Calipso 2014-05-15 17:27:21  
Mote's triggers are something like this (i've edited a few and deleted some so forgive if these are a little off):

F9 = toggles between offense modes. (normal/acc/etc)

Ctrl F9 = toggles between defense mode. pdt, evasion, etc depending on the gs

Alt F9 = ws mode

F10 = ultimate PDT mode. This keeps your pdt gear on 100% of the time and stops gear swaps, even during ws and stuff. This is probably what you were using.

F11 = ultime mdt mode. silimar to the pdt one

Crtl f11 = casting mode

F12 will show what toggles you have set.

To turn off the ultimate pdt/mdt mode, you have to hit alt + F12.

The original binds are in the mote-globals.lua, you should be be able to edit/change them if you wanted.
[+]
 Asura.Tamoa
user: Tamoa
By Asura.Tamoa 2014-05-15 17:32:58  
Odin.Calipso said: »
Mote's triggers are something like this (i've edited a few and deleted some so forgive if these are a little off):

F9 = toggles between offense modes. (normal/acc/etc)

Ctrl F9 = toggles between defense mode. pdt, evasion, etc depending on the gs

Alt F9 = ws mode

F10 = ultimate PDT mode. This keeps your pdt gear on 100% of the time and stops gear swaps, even during ws and stuff. This is probably what you were using.

F11 = ultime mdt mode. silimar to the pdt one

Crtl f11 = casting mode

F12 will show what toggles you have set.

To turn off the ultimate pdt/mdt mode, you have to hit alt + F12.

The original binds are in the mote-globals.lua, you should be be able to edit/change them if you wanted.

Found out about the alt + F12 as you were typing that post. And yes, I wasn't aware of F10 and F11 actually locking PDT/MDT on full-time.

Thanks. :)
 Ragnarok.Achira
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Achira
By Ragnarok.Achira 2014-05-15 17:54:35  
Lua is easy if you already understand the basics of code and how to write it; if you didn't learn it for XML then you'll be starting from scratch with Lua.

IIRC, You can export your gear sets though so that helps.

My OCD prefers XML to Lua though. Lua just looks messy.
[+]
 Asura.Jezzus
user: L30x
By Asura.Jezzus 2014-05-15 18:18:31  
Meh.. GearSwap >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Spellcast

Here's a good start for all of you having trouble with gearswap.

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/41992/gearswap-for-dummies/
 Asura.Jezzus
user: L30x
By Asura.Jezzus 2014-05-15 18:25:23  
Ragnarok.Achira said: »

Lua doesnt have to look messy. I'm not sure if there is any cons to spacing/tabbing but i organize like that just to please my eyes. This looks a bit better on notepad++ than on here but heres a little of what i do.
Code
function file_unload()
		if binds_on_unload then
				binds_on_unload()
			end
		send_command('unbind ^`')
	end

sets.idle = {
			main="Legato Dagger",			sub="Genbu's Shield",			range="Gjallarhorn",
			head="Aoidos' Calot +2",		neck="Twilight Torque",			ear1="Merman's Earring",		ear2="Merman's Earring",
			body="Gendewitha Bliaut",		hands="Gendewitha Gages",		ring1="Succor Ring",			ring2="Mediator's Ring",
			back="Umbra Cape",			waist="Slipor Sash",			legs="Nares Trews",				feet="Aoidos' Cothrn. +2",}

Alexander.Carrelo
サーバ: Alexander
user: Carrelo
By Alexander.Carrelo 2014-05-15 18:42:44  
That does look hella messy lol x__x

Jesus take the wheel keyboard and write my lua! ; ;
 Quetzalcoatl.Javarr
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Javarr 2014-05-15 18:51:32  
First and foremost, thanks to the windower team for keeping spellcast afloat as long as you all did. I'm pretty sure the last few updates have been a nightmare for you all.

On to the headache now...

I have not seen this mentioned yet, so I figured I'd go ahead and ask:

How much of a pain is it going to be to try and convert spellcast over to gearswap? I've looked over a few of the examples and others and it looks like it takes the rules and sets and pretty much smashes them together. I guess the real question would be if there is anything from our spellcasts that could be salvaged or we gonna have to rewrite pretty much all of them from scratch?

Secondly, how much of a time frame are we looking at before spellcast is literally dropped from windower. I know we still have use of it, but will there be a time when windower will just flat out not recognize it as an add-on anymore? Trying to figure out how much time I've got to try and figure all of this out.
[+]
 Fenrir.Divinian
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Divinian
By Fenrir.Divinian 2014-05-15 19:01:00  
Fenrir.Motenten said: »
Divinian said:
"This tutorial assumes that you have at least a basic comprehension of standard programming terms, such as 'functions', 'variables', 'assignment', etc. If you do not, then start by finding a lua language tutorial on the web."

I've changed this to point to Arcon's lua tutorial. It covers the basic ideas I was referring to.

Divinian said:
This post is not a critique of the guide as I am sure I will be making this guide a favorite in my browser soon, but I am a little worried about the stuff I am supposed to already know in order to learn GS.

If you've used Spellcast, you pretty much should already know all the conceptual stuff that I expect you to be aware of for my tutorial. The only difference is syntax. For example, with respect to 'assignment':

Spellcast way of creating and changing a variable:
Code
    <var name="weapon">Thief's Knife</var>
    <var cmd="set weapon Thokcha" />

Lua way of creating and changing a variable:
Code
    weapon = "Thief's Knife"
    weapon = "Thokcha"

As long as you understand what it means to have a named word that refers to another piece of information, that's all that I expect. The exact syntax is different, but the underlying idea is the same.

Eyrhika said:
This is far from true.. I started spellcast by grabbing premade and eventually was able to write my own from scratch. I tried the same w/ Motes THF lua and can't get it to do pretty much anything I want it to. It doesn't help that theres 5 files that somehow all interact with the THF lua I am trying to learn so I have no idea what is going on...

While I understand that this may be a bit optimistic, with my includes, the only thing that you should 'need' to understand at the start is how to fill in the gear you want to use in the gear sets. The second thing you'd need after that is to understand that the vast majority of what you'd want to do can be done by simply creating the appropriate gear set. Messing with the rules in the code is much later in the order of things to worry about.

I suppose I should work on a better writeup of the documentation for my own lua files, that I can put on the github repository, rather than depend on the .txt file that's in the repository itself. Might be easier for people to find and work with. (Note: this is separate from the general GearSwap documentation.)
Thanks. And thanks, Arcon. I'm just getting started now, so here goes.
 Lakshmi.Eyrhika
user: Eyrhika
By Lakshmi.Eyrhika 2014-05-15 19:12:15  
Using Byrth's sample was much easier than figuring out Motes.. it was just to much to start out with. Still doesn't do a few things I need but all the basics are covered.
 Fenrir.Moldtech
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Moldtech
By Fenrir.Moldtech 2014-05-15 21:50:00  
Quote:
5 files you absolutely need being Mote-Globals, Mote-Include, Mote-Mappings, Mote-SelfCommands, Mote-Utility

These are needed for gearswap to even work or just for his gearswap files to work?
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
サーバ: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-05-15 22:37:10  
Fenrir.Moldtech said: »
Quote:
5 files you absolutely need being Mote-Globals, Mote-Include, Mote-Mappings, Mote-SelfCommands, Mote-Utility

These are needed for gearswap to even work or just for his gearswap files to work?

For his files, GS is a complete add-on, you just need a file to tell it what to do. Mote's additional files have various functions consolidated. It was pretty standard to use includes in spellcast as well, since you could standardize your keybinds and rules for various things like cancelling Utsusemi: Ni when casting Ichi or cancelling Stoneskin when you recast it.
 Carbuncle.Killkenny
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Killkenny
By Carbuncle.Killkenny 2014-05-16 06:40:23  
Ragnarok.Achira said: »

Wat.

The difference is Lua isn't using chevron tags, you can still format it to look perfectly neat.
 Asura.Railbender
user: Toknherb
By Asura.Railbender 2014-05-17 22:10:43  
How do i translate GS lua files into code that gearcollector can use to get my stuff on job changes ?
By kayezel 2014-05-19 12:17:10  
i was wondering if there was a ninja one of these that i could just use and just change the names of my gear i have in to as i have 0 understanding of these things a friend turned me on to spell cast and i thought i was the best thing ever but to daft to understand how to write one of these myself my friend basically just sent me one told me to add my gear names in and go punch stuff as a old lady i was ok with that thank you in advance
 Cerberus.Conagh
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-05-19 12:23:23  
Asura.Railbender said: »
How do i translate GS lua files into code that gearcollector can use to get my stuff on job changes ?

get on your job in game, have gearswap loaded.

//gs export sets xml

This exports your gear tables on your currently loaded gearswap file into a XML in the "exports folder" within gearswap, copy this and move it to spellcast and it will work the same for gearcollector.
 Cerberus.Conagh
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-05-19 12:23:52  
kayezel said: »
i was wondering if there was a ninja one of these that i could just use and just change the names of my gear i have in to as i have 0 understanding of these things a friend turned me on to spell cast and i thought i was the best thing ever but to daft to understand how to write one of these myself my friend basically just sent me one told me to add my gear names in and go punch stuff as a old lady i was ok with that thank you in advance

yes, if you go the gearswap shop on BG wiki and just install all of motes stuff, it will work rather well.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [50 days between previous and next post]
 Ragnarok.Granis
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Granis25
By Ragnarok.Granis 2014-07-08 23:23:30  
Know spellcast is discontinued and everything, but I just re-patched up Windower 4 and am patching FFXI right now, I'd like to still keep using the discontinued version of spellcast reguardless of the risks, at least temporarily.

is there a way I can get it back on my windower again? I can't even find a place where I can download the last version of it.

I've been away since about January when my old PC broke down.
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2014-07-08 23:41:34  
Use the konami code on the plugin screen.