users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Favorite BLU Spell sets
Favorite BLU Spell sets
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-03-11 11:47:07  
I like how mantle has more shadows lol. Also just stacking them all together.
 Fenrir.Omgwtftaru
サーバ: Fenrir
user: kivyin
By Fenrir.Omgwtftaru 2010-03-22 21:17:00  
The only time I really go BLU is in ballista and campaign, but I'll just post my ballista set just to be different. :)
I usually go magical BLU and sub RDM for the defensive spells as well as the MAB and fast cast trait.

Actnic Burst (Life saver!)
Plasma Charge
Zephyre Mantle (Noticeably much better than blink)
Chaotic Eye
Regurgitation (Good for those running away as it deals extra damage when the opponent's back is towards you)
Corrosive Ooze (Very powerful)
Temporal Shift (Even though it does only last for 0.5 seconds, its good for interrupting spells and when getting gang raped so I can sprint away :X)
Sheep Song
Magic Fruit
Reactor Cool (Deals damage like blaze spikes and paralyze procs very often)
Blastbomb
Jettatura (Because terrorized people look funny XD)
Refueling or Magic Hammer (Sometimes I get lazy with casting so much buff on myself so I just use Magic Hammer and boing the PLDs)
Cocoon
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-03-26 07:23:43  
I really enjoying bringing BLU/SCH to campaign battles. Huge benefits for MP when subbing Scholar. I'll slap on these spells for my CB adventures:

Head Butt, Frenetic Rip, Disseverment, Vertical Cleave - My physical spells

Refueling, Metallic Body, Cocoon - My buffs; Metallic Body is vital since I'm /sch, allowing me to rest for mp while having sublimation active

Magic Fruit - Cure IV+

Plasma Charge + Actinic Burst - Auto-Refresh and Burst is great

Eyes on Me + Regurgitation - My ranged magic damage for when there's a boss that's particularly mean. Regurgitation is basically hateless damage as long as someone else also has hate on the monster, not to mention a good kite tool.

Magic Hammer + MP Drainkiss - With /sch, I can have so much MP, it's really ridiculous. I leave Dark Arts up unless I'm about to start tossing a bunch of Magic Fruits.

My normal rotation once I've burned out some massive MP is to Alacrity(halves recast of next black magic)+Aspir, Drain, Convergence+Magic Hammer, Burst Affinity+MP Drainkiss, another Alacrity+Aspir to essentially replenish all my MP from empty. With Sublimation, I end up having 4 MP/tic refresh as well, 5 mp/tic when Sigil refresh kicks in.
Can get some really sexy numbers when I toss in a Expiacion -> Vertical Cleave -> Aspir/Drain/MP Drainkiss too.
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-03-26 08:25:32  
A_couple_of_people_on_the_first_page said:
Triumphant Roar
Why the hell do people use this spell? The only time you should ever even CONSIDER using it is if you're in the melee part in a zerg for some strange reason, and you use it with diffusion right before the zerg starts. Triumphant Roar doesn't effect physical spells! 36MP for a minute of slightly higher damage melee hits is ridiculous. Set it for STR if you must, but for gods sake, don't actually use it.

Same with people that SC with Cannonball or Vertical Cleave as /nin. It can be ok, but like, is there something wrong with your disseverment builds or something?
[+]
 Odin.Yakoo
user: Yakoo
By Odin.Yakoo 2010-03-26 08:55:53  
Odin.Blazza said:
Triumphant Roar
Why the hell do people use this spell? The only time you should ever even CONSIDER using it is if you're in the melee part in a zerg for some strange reason, and you use it with diffusion right before the zerg starts. Triumphant Roar doesn't effect physical spells! 36MP for a minute of slightly higher damage melee hits is ridiculous. Set it for STR if you must, but for gods sake, don't actually use it.

Same with people that SC with Cannonball or Vertical Cleave as /nin. It can be ok, but like, is there something wrong with your disseverment builds or something?

Thats my same thought xD
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2010-03-26 09:05:18  
Odin.Blazza said:
Triumphant Roar

Like you said, sexy for something like a Kirin zerg when used with Diffusion. >:D
 Quetzalcoatl.Wulfy
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Wulfy 2010-03-26 11:10:15  
I have 5/5 Assimilation.
I can never decide what to put in with those 5 more points so its always changing.

Currently this is what I have set.

Headbutt
Bludgeon
Uppercut
Frenetic Rip
Hysteric Barrage
Disseverment
Vertical Cleave
Refueling
Cocoon
Bad Breath
Plasma Charge
Magic Fruit
Actinic Burst
Sub-Zero Smash

Triumphant Roar would be a decent Buff for Tizona BLU's since your ATT is what determines how much MP you get back per swing.
However I use it only when I am CASAballing something to push my Set's STR higher.
 Seraph.Iria
サーバ: Seraph
user: Iria
By Seraph.Iria 2010-03-31 12:53:55  
Triumphant Roar is pretty awesome if you have a very good Vorpal Blade build. I can do about 1k Vorpal Blades on Greater Colibri (w/o BRD or COR). I find this useful in situations there are other melee and they are constantly using WS (thus making it very difficult or impossible to self SC, like in Dynamis). Thus I save TP for Vorpal Blade -> Triumphant Roar between fights -> Vorpal Blade at start of next -> Chain Affinity <insert favorite spell here> on target or next target. I also use a haste build for Triumphant Roar so that I can keep it up full time if desired.

In situations where you don't melee the STR+3 for 3 Blue Magic points is pretty awesome by itself too! All around a nice spell to set.
 Fenrir.Shambo
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Shambo
By Fenrir.Shambo 2010-03-31 12:55:15  
NIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
 Phoenix.Ingraham
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2010-03-31 13:54:13  
Foot Kick
Asuran Claws
1000 Needles
Death Ray
Cursed Sphere
Voracious Trunk
Actinic Burst
Plasma Charge
Hydro Shot
Lowing
Jettura

I call this set the "Lobotomizer". The Hydro Shot is in there just in case you pull too much hate with Foot Kick. Which will happen. Be sure to spam Asuran Claws too.
 Seraph.Iria
user: Iria
By Seraph.Iria 2010-03-31 16:28:00  
Phoenix.Ingraham said:
Foot Kick Asuran Claws 1000 Needles Death Ray Cursed Sphere Voracious Trunk Actinic Burst Plasma Charge Hydro Shot Lowing Jettura I call this set the "Lobotomizer". The Hydro Shot is in there just in case you pull too much hate with Foot Kick. Which will happen. Be sure to spam Asuran Claws too.

Try other lolspells too like Queasyshroom, Feather Tickle, Ram Charge, and Ice Break.
 Shiva.Duey
サーバ: Shiva
user: Duath
By Shiva.Duey 2010-03-31 17:18:20  
Odin.Blazza said:
Triumphant Roar
Why the hell do people use this spell? The only time you should ever even CONSIDER using it is if you're in the melee part in a zerg for some strange reason, and you use it with diffusion right before the zerg starts. Triumphant Roar doesn't effect physical spells! 36MP for a minute of slightly higher damage melee hits is ridiculous. Set it for STR if you must, but for gods sake, don't actually use it. Same with people that SC with Cannonball or Vertical Cleave as /nin. It can be ok, but like, is there something wrong with your disseverment builds or something?

ummmm... how can you NOT set this spell if you are in DD BLU mode.. STR+3 for 3 blu points?? tell me any spell that is better than that.. heat breath and firespit cost way more points and arent as usefull during fights than triumphant roar. Also.. if you're /NIN and doing end game NMs (if there is no chance to go /thf) why would you use Disseverment. gona miss too many hits. VC is better and only focused on STR too.. on lower stuff or birds.. well then yea
 Phoenix.Ingraham
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Ingraham 2010-03-31 17:23:25  
Seraph.Iria said:
Try other lolspells too like Queasyshroom, Feather Tickle, Ram Charge, and Ice Break.

I'm saving Ice Break for my nuking set, which also includes... Blastbomb and Bomb Toss?

Cheeyeah, I have no idea where I'm going with this now.
 Odin.Blazza
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-04-01 04:15:47  
Shiva.Duey said:
Odin.Blazza said:
Triumphant Roar
Why the hell do people use this spell? The only time you should ever even CONSIDER using it is if you're in the melee part in a zerg for some strange reason, and you use it with diffusion right before the zerg starts. Triumphant Roar doesn't effect physical spells! 36MP for a minute of slightly higher damage melee hits is ridiculous. Set it for STR if you must, but for gods sake, don't actually use it. Same with people that SC with Cannonball or Vertical Cleave as /nin. It can be ok, but like, is there something wrong with your disseverment builds or something?

ummmm... how can you NOT set this spell if you are in DD BLU mode.. STR 3 for 3 blu points?? tell me any spell that is better than that.. heat breath and firespit cost way more points and arent as usefull during fights than triumphant roar. Also.. if you're /NIN and doing end game NMs (if there is no chance to go /thf) why would you use Disseverment. gona miss too many hits. VC is better and only focused on STR too.. on lower stuff or birds.. well then yea

Notice the bolded part. If you're blu/nin and fighting an NM where Disseverement isn't very good, use breath spells, or don't come blu/nin, 'cause on that sort of NM, VC and Cannonball are both going to be ***too.

As for TR with a Vorpal Blade build, how much does it really boost your Vorpal Blade damage by? 'Cause I'm pretty confident I can make up more than that damage by casting frenetic rip or Hysteric Barrage one more time every two minutes instead of casting TR once a minute. These two spells also take less time to cast, leaving you with more time to be swinging your sword and building tp.

Considering the fact that TR does nothing for your spell damage, you're ONLY looking at your melee damage when using this spell. So over a minute of pure meleeing, how much extra damage does TR actually get you? Is it enough to cover the 1-2 attack rounds you missed out on while casting it? Seriously, aside from the 3 STR for 3 set points, the spell is a steaming pile of useless crap.

As I said earlier, the only time I would ever even consider using it is with diffusion in a zerg, but blu sucks balls at any real zerg worth mentioning, and shouldn't be in the party in the first place. ***, you'd be better off in the BLM party and using diffusion Memento Mori or Amplification for a BLM zerg.
 Seraph.Caiyuo
user: Caiyuo
By Seraph.Caiyuo 2010-04-02 19:27:13  
I kept thinking the Triumphant Roar argument was over Frightful Roar and got totally lost. I was to the point of doubting having ever used it over peer pressure, very sad lol
 Sylph.Sindri
サーバ: Sylph
user: Sindri
By Sylph.Sindri 2010-04-02 19:31:13  
As a rule, I use the following:

Head Butt
Frenetic Rip
Hyseric Barrage
Cannonball or Vertical Cleave
Disseverment
Refueling
Metallic Body
Cocoon
Plasma Charge
Actinic Burst
MP Drainkiss
Magic Fruit
Soporific

It's good when you don't know what to expect (stuff like Campaign, zones with a lot of aggro, missions, etc;) But if the mob can't be slept or Aspired then I'll change one of those out and set a Job Trait like Conserve MP (Zephyr Mantle + Chaotic Eye) or Auto Regen (Sheep Song + Healing Breeze)