Ebola Patient Coming To U.S.

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Ebola Patient Coming to U.S.
Ebola Patient Coming to U.S.
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 ... 42 43 44
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2014-09-30 21:42:16  
Enuyasha said: »
As long as people dont go like rubbing up against an infected person or share any bodily fluids theyll be fine.

The mass panic over Ebola is just stupid...but then again, there are stupid people and *** does happen.

I agree that panic isn't a good reaction. I'm certainly not panicking myself, but it is a little unnerving to have this huge world and the first place outside of Africa it goes to is a hospital that I've been in before and is so close to my own place.

I'm fairly confident in the state's ability to contain this stuff. I very much doubt there are very many people around here who think Ebola is a lie and is just a government control mechanism and we have much better systems and care. But I also think that people are just as dumb for being completely carefree about it.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-09-30 21:59:35  
Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
This is initially how HIV became so rampant in Africa as well...so it doesnt surprise me that yet again another virus spreads like wildfire there because as humans we make bad decisions.

Speaking of which there is some talk of using HIV meds today with Ebola.
Thats interesting!

Though, if Ebola becomes as widespread as they think it will, there will be a cure for Ebola as soon as it becomes a Pandemic before HIV gets a cure :|

While killing quite a few people. Ebola is a huge threat to people with compromised immune systems.
[+]
By Enuyasha 2014-09-30 22:22:11  
Ragnarok.Sekundes said: »
As long as people dont go like rubbing up against an infected person or share any bodily fluids theyll be fine.

The mass panic over Ebola is just stupid...but then again, there are stupid people and *** does happen.

I agree that panic isn't a good reaction. I'm certainly not panicking myself, but it is a little unnerving to have this huge world and the first place outside of Africa it goes to is a hospital that I've been in before and is so close to my own place.

I'm fairly confident in the state's ability to contain this stuff. I very much doubt there are very many people around here who think Ebola is a lie and is just a government control mechanism and we have much better systems and care. But I also think that people are just as dumb for being completely carefree about it.
Being hyper vigilant solves nothing, making something entirely bigger than its supposed to be with a heightened sense of over-concern is just as worse. Yes, Ebola can be deadly. But, unless you're literally going to be rubbing up against someone with it or consuming stuff that comes out of them: theres nothing to worry about. Even if you dont know, use common sense and wipe down things before you touch them, dont let people cough in your face, and dont touch your face after youve touched things in public.

Simple things they keep telling you in these after school specials do keep you from getting it.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
user: Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-01 09:35:40  
Leviathan.Chaosx said: »
Confirmed first case in the U.S.
Good job Texas!

It's George W. Bush's fault. It's always his fault!
Actually I think the feds have a Nigeria prison guard exchange program or something in Texas where people are constantly flying back and forth.
 Caitsith.Zahrah
サーバ: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-10-01 09:55:56  
Perry's holding a press conference at noon CST.

Apparently, the ambulatory crew were all tested. There's people saying that the ambulance itself was still in commission until yesterday, but that could be sensationalist hear-say.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
user: Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-10-01 10:16:00  
Being hyper vigilant solves nothing, making something entirely bigger than its supposed to be with a heightened sense of over-concern is just as worse. Yes, Ebola can be deadly. But, unless you're literally going to be rubbing up against someone with it or consuming stuff that comes out of them: theres nothing to worry about. Even if you dont know, use common sense and wipe down things before you touch them, dont let people cough in your face, and dont touch your face after youve touched things in public.

Simple things they keep telling you in these after school specials do keep you from getting it.
it is passed through all bodily fluids, which includes sweat. While sweat has previously been thought to contain little amounts of the virus a new hypothesis emerged a few weeks back that the further progressed the disease the denser the amount of virus in each sample.

So, like you said, wipe down items, don't touch your face, etc.

Also, (someone else posted this) he was screened before entering the US. But it can take up to 21 days to show and he had no symptoms.

With the sheer amount of people getting infected and with how easy it is to travel the world it is not surprising it came to the US. I'm actually surprised it didn't end up in Europe first.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/01/health/airline-passenger-with-ebola-is-under-treatment-in-dallas.html?_r=0

Quote:
The man, who was visiting relatives in the United States, was not ill during the flight, health officials said at a news conference Tuesday evening. Indeed, he was screened before he boarded the flight and had no fever. Because Ebola is not contagious until symptoms develop, there is “zero chance” that the patient infected anyone else on the flight, said Dr. Thomas R. Frieden, director of the disease centers. Ebola is spread only by direct contact with body fluids from someone who is ill.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-10-01 10:21:23  
Caitsith.Zahrah said: »
Perry's holding a press conference at noon CST.

Apparently, the ambulatory crew were all tested. There's people saying that the ambulance itself was still in commission until yesterday, but that could be sensationalist hear-say.
Never fear, Rick Perry is on the job!
 Caitsith.Zahrah
サーバ: Caitsith
user: zahrah
By Caitsith.Zahrah 2014-10-01 10:21:30  
Bahamut.Kara said: »
With the sheer amount of people getting infected and with how easy it is to travel the world it is not surprising it came to the US. I'm actually surprised it didn't end up in Europe first.

This is exactly what I was mulling over last night.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-01 12:31:36  
Sister of Ebola patient states he told ER doctors on his first visit to the ER last Friday he had come from Liberia before he was released from the hospital.
 Bahamut.Samsonxiii
user: Spook153
By Bahamut.Samsonxiii 2014-10-01 13:35:36  
Hope I can 119 my gun before the world ends.
[+]
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-10-01 13:52:50  
Also, (someone else posted this) he was screened before entering the US. But it can take up to 21 days to show and he had no symptoms.

See that's a big question. How long was he symptomizing before he was admitted to Texas Health Presbyterian? Have they said that?
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-10-01 14:08:10  

See that's a big question. How long was he symptomizing before he was admitted to Texas Health Presbyterian? Have they said that?
Don't know if you looked at article but it shows a calendar with timeline.

Arrived on 20th, developed symptoms 24th. But he was turned away at a hospital (unnamed) on 26th.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-01 14:24:05  
Who knows how many people he's already spread the sickness to? If you all believe the feds when they say it's tough to spread, you're all nuts.

If you haven't gone food/fuel shopping in a while, I suggest you stock up.
By Blazed1979 2014-10-01 15:04:27  
Ebola in America now?... ffs
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-10-01 15:32:31  
Quote:
The first person diagnosed with Ebola in the United States initially told a nurse he had traveled in Africa but was sent home anyway, raising concerns about US preparedness for the spread of the deadly virus.

The man, whose identity and nationality have not been released by health authorities, flew from Liberia, the hardest hit nation in West Africa's deadly Ebola outbreak, to Texas to visit family.

An apparent miscommunication among hospital staff left the man in the open community and contagious for four days, and he even came in contact with schoolchildren before he was finally isolated in a hospital, officials said Wednesday.

"I know that parents are being extremely concerned about that development," said Texas Governor Rick Perry.

"These children have been identified and they are being monitored and the disease cannot be transmitted before having any symptoms."

He arrived in Texas on September 20 and did not exhibit symptoms until September 24, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention chief Tom Frieden said Tuesday.

He sought medical care on the 26th, but was sent home because the medical team "felt clinically it was a low-grade common viral disease," said Mark Lester, executive vice president of Texas Health Resources.
Source
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-01 15:33:12  
So, this wasn't exactly Texas fault.

Just stupidity.
 Fenrir.Atheryn
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-10-01 15:33:58  
I love how the CDC is saying that USA has the medical infrastructure to stop Ebola in its tracks.

Medically speaking, I'm sure they can prevent it from killing most people - but stopping it is something else entirely. The trouble is, desperation, negligence and idiocy are the largest contributors to the spread of a virus like Ebola, and unfortunately, that's something the CDC can't control.
By volkom 2014-10-01 15:35:08  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Just stupidity.

everyone not from texas is a texas hater :/
[+]
 Ragnarok.Nausi
By Ragnarok.Nausi 2014-10-01 15:36:43  
Is this guy even a legal resident?

EDIT:

Nope! Thomas Eric Duncan, Resident of Monrovia.

I guess we can't profile people coming from Ebola stricken areas or anything, that would be racist.

Heads up liberals, your PC worship is about to kill us all.
[+]
 Fenrir.Atheryn
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Temptaru
By Fenrir.Atheryn 2014-10-01 15:38:08  
Speaking of idiocy and desperation...

Quote:
Nigerian Ebola Hoax Results in Two Deaths

Two people have died and at least twenty were hospitalized, all because of a social media prank urging Nigerians to drink excessive amounts of salt water to avoid catching the Ebola virus.

The hoax started with a text message sent by a Nigerian student at the beginning of August, according to Edwin Ikhuoria, a development consultant for U2 frontman Bono’s ONE campaign who lives in Nigeria.

"Once the word was out, it spread like wildfire," Ikhuoria told ABC News.

Within hours of the first text being sent, Ikhuoria said that everyone he knows had received the message multiple times on social media -- including the Minister of Health.

On Aug. 8, the Nigerian newspaper Vanguard News reported two dead and 20 more hospitalized due to excessive consumption of salt water. The deceased were believed to have had high blood pressure, a condition that is especially sensitive to high salt intake.

"Please ensure that you and your family and all your neighbours bath with hot water and salt before daybreak today because of Ebola virus which is spreading through the air," the text said in part, according to Ikhuoria.

The message also urged people to drink as much salt water as possible as protection against catching the deadly virus, which has killed nearly half of the more than 6,000 infected throughout West Africa.

Symplur, a company that tracks health information trends on Twitter, said that Nigerians first began sending tweets using the words "Ebola," "salt water" and "drinking" starting on Aug. 4 with social network activity ramping up to a peak of about 450 tweets on the day of Aug. 8.

"People seem to [have been] woken up by friends and relatives in the early morning in order to drink and bathe with salt because the local town doc said you needed to do this before sunrise," said Thomas Lee, co-founder of Symplur, noting that much of the activity took place overnight.

And then, just as quickly as the rumors proliferated, they were quashed.

Ikhuria said as soon as the government got wind of the hoax, it immediately began its own campaign using both traditional and social media to reiterate the fact that there is no vaccine or cure for the virus.

"Other people also amplified the message from the ministry and it was all over," he said.

By Aug. 10, there were almost no tweets mentioning the bogus treatment, Symplur data revealed.

"The power of social media to rapidly spread information, both accurate and inaccurate, is enormous, and nowhere is that more impactful than on topics related to our health," said Lee.

According to Informa Telecoms, nearly 70 percent of the Nigerian population owns a cell phone, a typical onramp to popular social media platforms such as texting, Twitter and Facebook. The ability to mobilize information quickly through social channels has contributed to an effective campaign against the Ebola virus in that country, Lee speculated.

Nigeria had only 17 confirmed cases of Ebola and there are currently no new cases, the Nigerian Health Ministry reports. Nearby Sierra Leone, where under 2 percent of the population uses the Internet, has seen nearly 2,000 Ebola cases, according to the World Health Organization.

Toheeb Ojulari, a Nigerian blogger who also received the salt water tweets, said that when the prankster realized what she had done, she immediately took to social media again to apologize.

"All efforts to tell people that I was the one who started the joke failed," reads the message Ojulari and thousands of other Nigerians reposted. "Even my mum [called] me this morning, I did not know what to tell her."
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2014-10-01 15:44:59  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Just stupidity.
Well now we get to see Perry's leadership skills put to the test.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-10-01 17:21:15  
Arrived on 20th, developed symptoms 24th. But he was turned away at a hospital (unnamed) on 26th.

Ok found it thanks on CNN. He developed symptoms 24th and wasn't admitted till the 28th in the evening.

So he has had about 4~ days in which everyone around him has been exposed. That's quite a long time. They DPH only identified 12-18 people in 4 days... that seems pretty low.

Patients in general are pretty horrible at determining exact date of symptoms and remembering who they came into contact.
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-10-01 21:51:36  

Patients in general are pretty horrible at determining exact date of symptoms and remembering who they came into contact.
Yeah. I hope they assume infectious after landing/clearing customs and just track all contacts.

I read on theguardian that he was throwing up in the parking lot of the apartment complex as he was headed to the ambulance. I really hope protocals were followed for cleaning that up.
By Enuyasha 2014-10-02 00:05:00  

Yeah. I hope they assume infectious after landing/clearing customs and just track all contacts.

I read on theguardian that he was throwing up in the parking lot of the apartment complex as he was headed to the ambulance. I really hope protocals were followed for cleaning that up.
There are quite a few things i would hope. The most important thing i would hope is if the EMTs did their jobs to the fullest extent of their training.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-10-02 01:45:17  
I really hope protocals were followed for cleaning that up.

***i cleaned it with some Windex and febreeze!
[+]
 Bahamut.Kara
By Bahamut.Kara 2014-10-02 03:04:14  

Eeew I hate the smell of fabreze.
[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-10-02 03:05:43  

How about some lemon pledge?

YouTube Video Placeholder
[+]
By Enuyasha 2014-10-02 05:49:48  

That's the power of Pine-Sol, baby!

[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2014-10-02 07:05:03  
So, I woke up this morning without a zombie apocalypse on my street.

Come on guys, you can do better than that!
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 9 10 11 ... 42 43 44