Ice Bucket Challenge!

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Culture and Media » Ice Bucket Challenge!
Ice Bucket Challenge!
By Propane 2014-08-22 10:35:24  
This guy's fitness channel is *** with a lot of ***, but this video was still awesome

YouTube Video Placeholder
 Fenrir.Moldtech
サーバ: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Moldtech
By Fenrir.Moldtech 2014-08-22 10:39:37  
Oh lord, look, now this stupid trend is getting people hurt. Respectable people of the community! When will the madness ever end?! I must start a petition to ban all stupid trendy challenges! :)

Firefighters hurt during als ice bucket challenge
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
サーバ: Sylph
user: Vegetto
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-08-22 10:44:02  
Looks like the power poles hurt them, not the challenge
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-08-22 11:27:28  
People are getting harsh criticism here in California for doing the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge because of the state drought.

Ice bucket challenge stirs controversy in drought-plagued California

Quote:
In an email, DWP spokeswoman Michelle Vargas said: “There are plenty of ways that L.A. residents can take the ice bucket challenge and not waste water.” She then referred to an article that offers what the utility, on Twitter, called "common-sense advice" such as skipping a shower or recycling the water used for the challenge.

A few (impolite) questions about the ice bucket challenge
 Fenrir.Squintik
user: Squintik
By Fenrir.Squintik 2014-08-22 11:54:31  

Impolite, but true.
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2014-08-22 12:09:47  
sure people's hearts are in the right place but i am not sure if i would trust where the money is going. could say i have had my own falling out with western style if medicine because of my own issues. i just see this money going to pharmasudicles pockets.
サーバ: Excalibur
Game: FFXIV
user: Dawnn
By Dawn Charis 2014-08-22 12:34:12  
Let's do a fire challenge

oh wait it was already a thing
(was going to link a video but something about XIAH regulations on certain things) youtube it yourself!
 Cerberus.Tidis
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Cerberus
user: tidis
By Cerberus.Tidis 2014-08-22 12:39:59  
I can see where OP is coming from, even recently I was questioning the whole point of the ice bucket challenge for the exact same reasons but the figures speak for themselves.

It's a success and if people carry on doing this, all power to them.
 Siren.Bruno
サーバ: Siren
user: BruHouse
By Siren.Bruno 2014-08-22 12:43:56  
[+]
By fonewear 2014-08-22 12:44:56  
Lakshmi.Ryanx said: »
sure people's hearts are in the right place but i am not sure if i would trust where the money is going. could say i have had my own falling out with western style if medicine because of my own issues. i just see this money going to pharmasudicles pockets.

I prefer mid-western medicine personally.
By Freazer 2014-08-22 12:56:42  
Lakshmi.Konvict said: »
the way he says *** had me rolling, i played atleast 78 times
[+]
 Ragnarok.Zeig
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Zeig
By Ragnarok.Zeig 2014-08-22 12:59:17  
Fenrir.Squintik said: »

Impolite, but true.
On the article: my thoughts exactly. Not to mention that many celebs like to use every opportunity to garner more worshipers.

Social media buzz like this reminds me of how Kony 2012 turned everyone into a champion for justice.
 Lakshmi.Ryanx
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: ryanx
By Lakshmi.Ryanx 2014-08-22 14:22:43  
fonewear said: »

mid-western? that osteopathic and natrualpaths and all that?
 Odin.Stormcroww
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Stormcroww 2014-08-22 14:51:49  
Although the Ice bucket challenge yes, may be trendy, and yes, may be annoying to some of the masses. Seeing the thousand posts everywhere you look "here we go again" person doing their challenge.
Annnnnd we would all like the world to just be able to educate themselves on the many conditions that plague humanity. And us as humans should just be going forward and donating to causes we believe in on our own accord. Without "the stupid" social media trends.
However.... that is not the way things are. And have never been. The Ice bucket challenge may annoy some of you. And yes, some people are doing it just to be part of the trend. But it is clearly working as intended. By bringing ALS awareness forefront. Raised huge amounts of money for a very well needed cause.
So suck it up! It is doing a lot of good. Of course at your annoyance. Damn it all.
 Fenrir.Squintik
By Fenrir.Squintik 2014-08-22 14:51:56  
fonewear said: »

mid-western? that osteopathic and natrualpaths and all that?

If that includes herbalists, I think I'll pass.

Yahoo_News said:
Sierra Leone's 365 Ebola deaths traced back to one healer

The outbreak need never have spread from Guinea, health officials revealed to AFP, except for a herbalist in the remote eastern border village of Sokoma.

"She was claiming to have powers to heal Ebola. Cases from Guinea were crossing into Sierra Leone for treatment," Mohamed Vandi, the top medical official in the hard-hit district of Kenema, told AFP.

"She got infected and died. During her funeral, women around the other towns got infected."

Ebola has killed more than 1,220 people since it emerged in southern Guinea at the start of the year, spreading first to Liberia and cutting a gruesome and gory swathe through eastern Sierra Leone since May.
[+]
 Asura.Backstab
サーバ: Asura
user: backstab
By Asura.Backstab 2014-08-22 14:58:00  
Fenrir.Moldtech said: »
Oh lord, look, now this stupid trend is getting people hurt. Respectable people of the community! When will the madness ever end?! I must start a petition to ban all stupid trendy challenges! :)

there was atleast one death allready, like 2-3 weeks ago. (only found a german link) and while looking i found out that the person who started the whole ice bucket challenge thing drowned after jumping from a roof into a body of water somewhere.

http://m.faz.net/aktuell/gesellschaft/ungluecke/bei-cold-water-challenge-von-baggerschaufel-erschlagen-13072051.html
 Fenrir.Squintik
By Fenrir.Squintik 2014-08-22 15:13:45  
Asura.Backstab said: »
Fenrir.Moldtech said: »

there was atleast one death allready, like 2-3 weeks ago.

If you're talking about Sergio Cardozo, I believe that was proven to be a hoax. (obligatory Huff Post link)
 Fenrir.Squintik
By Fenrir.Squintik 2014-08-22 15:17:42  

The google translation looks a bit hairy, but it sounds like the death was caused by toppling machinery rather than ice water.
 Fenrir.Squintik
By Fenrir.Squintik 2014-08-22 15:24:13  
So far, the only death that I've been able to find was a 40 year old man in New Zealand who died from cardiac arrest in July, 5 hours after participating in the ice challenge. There were likely other health factors at play though, and not to mention alcohol.

Man dies after ice, drink game
 Asura.Backstab
サーバ: Asura
user: backstab
By Asura.Backstab 2014-08-22 15:40:05  
well yes it was caused by it falling over but they filled the showel with water to partake in the als challange when it fell over.
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-08-22 21:11:44  
Lighting is terribad because it went from day to night literally in the 5 minutes between filming my friend's challenge and my own :(

[+]
By Jetackuu 2014-08-22 21:18:41  
there is no such thing as "western" or "eastern" medicine, there's the ***that's been tested to work, the ***that has been proven not to work, and the ***that has yet to be tested, it's called medicine and it is a science, and there are rules.

these are not medicine:

acupuncture
faith healing
magnets (they can't cure your illnesses folks)
chiropracty
any other "new age" or basically anything labeled "cleansing" or about removing "toxins"
By Jetackuu 2014-08-22 21:20:52  
also: my great grandfather had ALS, lived with it for 14+ years after being diagnosed with it (he was stubborn, a trait that I'm sure is genetic in my family), and I still think this Ice bucket challenge ***is mentally HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE.
[+]
By cadaver 2014-08-22 21:25:09  
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-08-22 21:47:45  
Fenrir.Squintik said: »

Impolite, but true.

I really like one of the writer's main points:

Quote:
Let's stipulate that ALS is a devastating condition for those who have it. It's almost invariably fatal, with most victims living two to five years after symptoms first appear, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Researchers are still struggling to understand it.

But ALS is also a rare disease, which is defined by the federal Rare Diseases Act of 2002 as one affecting fewer than 200,000 patients nationwide. The CDC estimates the prevalence of ALS in the U.S. at any one time at about 12,000 persons. The ALS Association says 30,000, but hasn't responded to my inquiry about the discrepancy.

Even taking the ALS Association figure, the prevalence of the disease is far outstripped by many other conditions that also could benefit from more research funding. These include Alzheimer's (an estimated 5.2 million patients in the U.S.), and diabetes (25.8 million).

He ends the article with this.

Quote:
maybe you should give a bit more thought to where you donate your money.

I got dared to do the icebucket challenge by my cousin. I refused to do it and posted on my FB and IG that my money went to AIDS Health Foundation instead b/c it's something I care about genuinely not just because Britney Spears or George W. Bush dumped ice water on their heads...
 Sylph.Tigerwoods
By Sylph.Tigerwoods 2014-08-22 22:03:04  
Quote:
b/c it's something I care about genuinely not just because Britney Spears or George W. Bush dumped ice water on their heads...

eh, don't rly have to care about something to do it though. I had fun w/ the ice bucket and if someone gets something from it, why not? (as I would have done the challenge if challenged even if there was no cause, lol)

It's the same with donating blood. Do I genuinely care about the people getting my blood? Not in any way shape or form. I just go because it's a habit (did it to get out of class in high school and just kept donating afterwards because I hate change). I have no good reason to nor do I honestly care about the ***, but I just do it just for the sake of it. If someone benefits from that, cool beans
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-08-22 22:33:27  
Sylph.Tigerwoods said: »
It's the same with donating blood.

Donating blood is free. We're talking about $100 bucks for the ALS challenge. Ultimately people are doing the ice bucket challenge because they are refusing to donate money, they don't really care about this charity.

I'm not trying to downplay the condition, however there are a lot of other conditions that could stand to receive the money that would benefit a lot more people from that $100 dollars. Do most people know that? No.

EDIT: Additionally people are wasting clean water while people around the globe are struggling for clean water, let's not forget.
By Jetackuu 2014-08-22 23:07:10  
Bahamut.Baconwrap said: »
EDIT: Additionally people are wasting clean water while people around the globe are struggling for clean water, let's not forget.
Oh boo *** hoo.

The "event" is rather stupid, so is this as an excuse to not like it.
 Bahamut.Baconwrap
By Bahamut.Baconwrap 2014-08-22 23:12:47  
Raise awareness via other means. Don't waste clean water.
 Bismarck.Magnuss
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2014-08-22 23:14:46  
While we're at it, we should stop bathing entirely. Also, we should just go back to pooping in holes in the ground.
[+]