FFXI Won't Switch High Performance GPU On

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Tech Support » FFXI Won't Switch High Performance GPU On
FFXI Won't Switch High Performance GPU On
First Page 2
 Sylph.Safiyyah
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2014-09-18 18:12:07  
Setup is an i7 laptop with integrated Intel 4600, and AMD 8790M. Even with manually flagging POL.exe to start with the AMD card, it never engages, and the Intel card is a slideshow.

Has anyone else had this problem?
 Quetzalcoatl.Elysien
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: eLySiuM
By Quetzalcoatl.Elysien 2014-09-18 18:28:31  
you try just disabling the intel 4600 via device manager to force the amd?
 Sylph.Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2014-09-19 09:45:08  
It's muxless, so disabling the Intel card causes the AMD GPU not to function. Modern stuff works fine, especially after OC'ing, framerates are very decent, but it looks like no XI on this computer. Oh well. I still have my desktop.
By Warviper 2014-09-19 10:28:16  
Ive had the same problem after i upgraded my graphics drivers, i reverted to the original drivers that came with the laptop and it was working fine again.
 Leviathan.Webjester
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Webjester
By Leviathan.Webjester 2014-09-19 10:33:42  
You may also want to check the bios during boot and see if there are any options to specify which GPU you want to use.

The HP laptop I owned had an option to force the performance GPU instead of the Intel integrated when on AC power.
 Bahamut.Souf
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Souf
By Bahamut.Souf 2014-09-19 11:23:47  
I also had the same problem with an Intel 3000. The drivers that came with the laptop (the latest at that time) were not working with FFXI and had to revert to an older version.
The current drivers are working though.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-19 12:42:46  
Should be a setting in the bloatware to run what programs with what, or to run everything on the high end.

But the only dual video laptop I had had a nvidia based chip, my HP doesn't have dual (although it does have an amd gpu).

(google ftw)

do you have that box checked and are on battery?
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-09-20 10:17:51  
Sylph.Safiyyah said: »
Setup is an i7 laptop with integrated Intel 4600, and AMD 8790M. Even with manually flagging POL.exe to start with the AMD card, it never engages, and the Intel card is a slideshow.

Has anyone else had this problem?
A similar one.

My computer:

Intel Core i7 3630QM (2.40GHz)
8GB Memory
NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Win 8.1

In XIV I get 7 - 20 FPS. Despite having the game and the machine set to run on the 650m and the power set to full tilt boogie.

It could be that you have an energy saving "feature" enabled.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-20 13:23:31  
There's also the point that that intel card should handle xi just fine under the correct settings, obviously depending on the driver, (well it's got the juice anyway, not sure if the 4600 is compatible, since directx 8 is so old).
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2014-09-22 09:22:23  
Jetackuu said: »
There's also the point that that intel card should handle xi just fine under the correct settings, obviously depending on the driver, (well it's got the juice anyway, not sure if the 4600 is compatible, since directx 8 is so old).
The 4000 wasn't.
 Cerberus.Midgitis
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Midgitis 2014-09-22 10:52:10  
Turn off switchable graphics in bios and only use the AMD card.

This is an option called Optimus with nVidia cards, not sure what it would be called with an AMD but the setting should still be in the bios somewhere.
By Jetackuu 2014-09-22 12:51:37  
Garuda.Chanti said: »
Jetackuu said: »
The 4000 wasn't.

I can't say for sure if it fully isn't or not, never had one. Well at least I don't recall what was in the switchable laptop I had, I know I just had to update the nvidia card's drivers in it for it to be able to launch pol, otherwise it'd just crash. I had the ones from the manufacturer's website on there after I wiped it, usually I update those, but I sold it back to it's original owner, I had to remote in and remedy it and a few other things, because they were in a rush and I couldn't complete them. (Well the one was M$'s fault, was actually using the legit code for once and had to call the # to activate it, it wouldn't do it itself... 54 digits into an automated system, 54 digits back from the automated system...)
By Jetackuu 2014-09-22 12:52:45  
Cerberus.Midgitis said: »
Turn off switchable graphics in bios and only use the AMD card.

This is an option called Optimus with nVidia cards, not sure what it would be called with an AMD but the setting should still be in the bios somewhere.
That's not what optimus is, however it may be what the bios is referencing.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2014-09-22 12:59:27  
It effectively is. Optimus enables/disables the dGPU in your laptop based on the current demands of your environment. It's got very well documented issues, however; i.e., it isn't as intelligent as it should be, and sometimes even though it's making the right decision from a power saving/"what do I need right now" standpoint, the app isn't compatible with integrated or somesuch.

In this case, XI does not support intel HD4000 graphics. Since it isn't an nVidia card in the system it's not Optimus, but AMD probably has a comparable service. I have no idea what they call it these days, but it used to be called AMD DSG: Dynamic Switchable Graphics.
 Sylph.Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2014-09-30 17:01:26  
Sadly the AMD Enduro feature doesn't pick up FFXI even when pol.exe is set to use High-Performance Graphics. It probably doesn't work right with a lot of old games. Looks like I'll only be able to play on my desktop, which sucks.
By Jetackuu 2014-10-01 02:07:32  
Valefor.Prothescar said: »
It effectively is. Optimus enables/disables the dGPU in your laptop based on the current demands of your environment. It's got very well documented issues, however; i.e., it isn't as intelligent as it should be, and sometimes even though it's making the right decision from a power saving/"what do I need right now" standpoint, the app isn't compatible with integrated or somesuch.

In this case, XI does not support intel HD4000 graphics. Since it isn't an nVidia card in the system it's not Optimus, but AMD probably has a comparable service. I have no idea what they call it these days, but it used to be called AMD DSG: Dynamic Switchable Graphics.
Effectively and are aren't the same thing now are they sir? But I digress, and it wasn't necessary.

As for the 4000, while I was looking up a driver update for my ubuntu for the hd3000 the other day I saw a thread where there was an intel rep saying that they had released a driver that was compatible with FFXI for the 4000, but I could be wrong, and I didn't read that far into it.

Sylph.Safiyyah said: »
Sadly the AMD Enduro feature doesn't pick up FFXI even when pol.exe is set to use High-Performance Graphics. It probably doesn't work right with a lot of old games. Looks like I'll only be able to play on my desktop, which sucks.

I would probably try changing the driver, you may be on a bad version that doesn't fully do the switching, if nothing else (I realize this is a fair amount of work to do) but you can always load vmware player and load a vm to run XI in.
 Asura.Ccl
サーバ: Asura
user: ccl
By Asura.Ccl 2014-10-01 02:27:33  
I had a similar issue with a recent laptop and XI at 12fps, turn out my issue wasn't due to it using a wrong gpu, but the cpu was trying to run the game with multiple core, since I changed the affinity to 1 core, I don't have any lag anymore.
By Dragol 2014-10-03 12:39:15  
I'm having this problem with my new Asus ROG laptop. No mater what I do it will NOT use the gtx870. I even uninstalled the intel hd 4600 but the computers keep using it. I've tried doing everything in the nvidia control panel and even went into bios, but no option to turn off intel HD. Any suggestions?
 Leviathan.Mckeag
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Tajinjr
By Leviathan.Mckeag 2014-10-03 12:46:30  
Dragol said: »
I'm having this problem with my new Asus ROG laptop. No mater what I do it will NOT use the gtx870. I even uninstalled the intel hd 4600 but the computers keep using it. I've tried doing everything in the nvidia control panel and even went into bios, but no option to turn off intel HD. Any suggestions?

when you figure this out let me know. I have tried everything also. I have the same laptop.
By Dragol 2014-10-03 13:55:51  
I think we are just stuck using the intel chip. Kind of pisses me off I pay $1800 for a laptop and it wont let me use the video card >.>
 Bahamut.Milamber
サーバ: Bahamut
user: milamber
By Bahamut.Milamber 2014-10-03 14:09:22  
Call the support number?
By Jetackuu 2014-10-03 14:17:47  

What are you doing to see which chip it's running on?

Because if you're basing this just on lag in XI (or any game really) then your deduction abilities need some work as there could be other causes.

It sounds like either:

A. there's a driver and or user problem
B. this is more of the affinity issue some people have, which is odd if they're using the pol.exe they're supposed to

Like I said earlier: if your system has the ram for it, download vmware player, a copy of windows 7, install it> install vmware tools> install a simple a/v like MSE, install XI> set vmware to use the high performance gpu.

On another note: does everyone have their power setting set to "high performance" and is running on outlet instead of battery power?
By Dragol 2014-10-03 15:16:23  
I use GPU-Z to see, and the nvidia control panel also tells me what is running on the gtx. Yeah, it's set to high performance and plugged in. I think it's just the way optimus works with the new gtx800m series. There's no way to disable the intel card because it is directly tied into the gtx870
By Jetackuu 2014-10-03 15:17:40  
You already check your bios to see if you can change it?

edit: also did you set both pol.exe and ffxi to run on it?
 Sylph.Safiyyah
By Sylph.Safiyyah 2014-10-03 15:27:48  
You can't disable muxless GPUs in the BIOS. And I think FFXI doesn't have a separate exe, correct?
By Dragol 2014-10-03 15:38:09  
Nope, no options to disable in bios. I changed every exe in the SE folders to use the nvidia one. I've read FFXI uses whatever is your primary display adapter, and that stays the intel card no matter what I do.
By Dragol 2014-10-12 20:35:11  
Anyone else having this problem or solved it yet?
 Cerberus.Conagh
サーバ: Cerberus
user: onagh
By Cerberus.Conagh 2014-10-12 21:31:31  
Uninstall all drivers for anything but your 2nd card.

This normally forces it to Primary.

Then re install drivers.

Done
By Dragol 2014-10-23 09:43:43  
Tried that, didn't work. It just uses a microsoft basic adapter then, which is the intel chip without a driver
By Jetackuu 2014-10-23 11:55:03  
honestly at this point you need to be contacting your support #, as it seems there's a driver issue.
First Page 2