フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » I <3 DRK... Should I cry
I <3 DRK... Should I cry
 Asura.Failaras
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Falaras
By Asura.Failaras 2014-11-17 13:28:09  
Quote:
Sigh. DRK does exist, and DRK does well. I have had occasions when someone has picked my DRK over a MNK. Not because the MNK was the worst DD of all time, but because the leader knew I would deliver the damage. DRK is great, get that Ragnarok and kill stuff. SAM is overpowered, I can admit that, but throughout the entirety of FFXI there has always been a "best" DD, and DRK was only seriously behind in the early days, when our accuracy sucked so much, and bad DRKs gave us a bad rep with their Souleater riding. Damn MP Sponges. I waited weeks for a party once, with my flag up constantly, but when I did get a party, I would be complimented for my bloodthirsty attitude. Leaving a good impression gets you invited back.
Mnk isn't even that much better than Drk (if at all) right now as far as DPS goes. Sam is the anomally, Drk is great when compared with every other DD. Being able to SC light with Sam using a WS that isn't really bad is a huge boon for the job also. Really I don't think Drk is in bad shape at all, if Sam is changed it could realistically become a top tier DD again. Go look at War if you want to see a job that has really fallen from grace, without a mythic that job is essentially unplayable.
By Fasaga 2014-11-17 13:33:41  
Cerberus.Kylos said: »
Sigh. DRK does exist, and DRK does well. I have had occasions when someone has picked my DRK over a MNK. Not because the MNK was the worst DD of all time, but because the leader knew I would deliver the damage. DRK is great, get that Ragnarok and kill stuff. SAM is overpowered, I can admit that, but throughout the entirety of FFXI there has always been a "best" DD, and DRK was only seriously behind in the early days, when our accuracy sucked so much, and bad DRKs gave us a bad rep with their Souleater riding. Damn MP Sponges. I waited weeks for a party once, with my flag up constantly, but when I did get a party, I would be complimented for my bloodthirsty attitude. Leaving a good impression gets you invited back.

Point is, DRK is a really good DD if you know how to play it, and it has versatility. I don't solo on DRK very often, but if I seriously wanted to, I would build an Apoc. But I don't want to do that on DRK, it is all about the damage, so I would prefer to take my DRK into high buff situations and deliver the goods. I have seen some pretty bad SAM and MNK that can't keep up in recent times. I am rarely last on the parse, even against SAMs and MNKs, they have to be some of the best players players on the server for that to happen (Mythic 119 SAM and 119 Empy MNK usually). I have never said I am the best, I am an acceptable DD. I would say I am very good, but I am not elitist, I am more of a casual player, I don't play 24/7 like some, and I am not in an event linkshell. I do everything through PUGs.

Also why are people saying that something is better than a Ragnarok when a) they don't even have one, and b) they rarely play DRK. I rarely play Corsair, you don't see me going into the corsair forum and giving advice on what "the best" is. There are stopgap weapons for DRK, many of them actually. Senbaak isn't a bad start. Chances are if you are a casual player, you won't be getting into Incursion to even acquire a Meko Blade, so there's no point in pointing it out. Macbain is probably the easier option (as it doesn't solely rely on luck and sneaking into an Incursion party with a gimp job), but you still have to do Alluvion Skirmish, which is not really intended for someone who is returning.

If I had just returned, and I had no jobs levelled whatsoever. I would get DRK up to 99, buy a Senbaak, then I would work on getting loads of bayld. I would get access to all the zones that have wildskeeper reives, and get myself a Kaquljaan. Then I would augment it. From then on I would focus on a) sparks for reforged b) skirmish for cizin and c) farming gil for Ragnarok. I wouldn't go anywhere near Incursion until after I got my Ragnarok.

I don't own an amano, but I know that a tsumaru is better. I don't own a koga, but I know that it is superior tsumaru. I played drk for years, have an apocalypse, and am knocking out the pre-reqs towards a liberator. I know how to use the spreadsheets & have a strong grasp on game fundamentals. Not owning a piece of equipment doesn't disqualify one's opinion towards it. Your right, there are plenty of stop gap weapons for DRK, including ragnarok. If you want to be "the best" drk, then work on building a liberator. As safiyyah pointed out, there are 4-5 GS's (including ragnarok) that are within a very small percentage. Yes, the relic accuracy is cool but it's not really needed. Odd's are that in any given event where you would need accuracy, your buffs can and will be changed to fulfill that accuracy requirement. Riverfin (90), Hunters (75), Madrigals (71), Precision/Torpor (71/142), the extra 40 accuracy on ragnarok is going to be a non-factor.
[+]
 Cerberus.Detzu
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2014-11-17 13:50:04  
Ragnarok.Rezeak said: »
Funnest thing about DRK is having an Apoc using weird subs (/RDM /WHM /THF /BLU /MNK) in low man/old/mission content.

Least you have the ability on top of that to get a great sword and be useful in higher tier content.

Why would you sub anything else than SAM in old content? You're soloing JoL?
By volkom 2014-11-18 08:50:37  
Cerberus.Detzu said: »
Ragnarok.Rezeak said: »
Funnest thing about DRK is having an Apoc using weird subs (/RDM /WHM /THF /BLU /MNK) in low man/old/mission content.

Least you have the ability on top of that to get a great sword and be useful in higher tier content.

Why would you sub anything else than SAM in old content? You're soloing JoL?
drk/nin
 Odin.Jassik
VIP
サーバ: Odin
user: Jassik
By Odin.Jassik 2014-11-18 09:30:43  
Fasaga said: »

You don't have to own a weapon to know something about it, this is true. However, chances are you aren't the only DD there, and buffs should be given based on the attributes of the target as well as the attributes of the player. If you're in party with 2 other DD's that have ~950 accuracy in gear and you're rocking ~900, why should the group suffer losing a better roll or song to make up for your lower standard? Ragnarok will allow DRK to gain mutli-attack, use meat instead of sushi, add a minuet or fighters roll, etc. It's not to say you couldn't make up the loss of accuracy somewhere, but most relevant content requires a decent amount of accuracy, and you could be holding your whole group back a lot by refusing to acknowledge that your lack of accuracy is a problem.
[+]
 Bismarck.Stanislav
サーバ: Bismarck
user: daNpwr
By Bismarck.Stanislav 2014-11-18 13:27:30  
Damn. All this DRK talk made me take my Liberator out of storage and start playing DRK. Almost forgot how fun DRK is.