フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » ~First and Final Line of Defense v2.0~
~First and Final Line of Defense v2.0~
First Page 2 3 ... 33 34 35 ... 137 138 139
By Blazed1979 2017-06-11 02:53:33  
Ragnarok.Martel said: »
Test data
Spoiler Alert! Click to view.
Thanks!
Might just be from my side, but spoiler not working.
Asura.Kogasho said: »
does wearing moonbeam cape with its huge boost to HP negate using ambuscade back capes that have HP 80 on them when using spells?
If your goal is to reduce the amount of HP dropped during casts, yes of course. I think that's what you're asking.
I have around 3300hp outside Reisenjima, on PLD but with my GS everytime I cast a spell it always puts me to about 2700-2800ish Yellow HP. Should my HP even get that low when casting phalanx, Cures, and Flash? My Fast Cast set is about 90% identical to the first page fast cast set. Any pointers?
I would drop to 2300sh HP mark if I tried to cap fast cast on PLD.
Pointers: You need several sets/several types of sets.
E.g - In turtle mode I don't cap fast cast, due to the huge loss of HP experienced during casting, being detrimental to the situations I would potentially be in where and when I would use said set. (Need for max hp, max damage mitigation, enough fast cast to get my spells off with best recast time possible)
However, recently since acquiring Arke set, I can once again cap fast cast without dropping too much HP - or at least not in comparison to turtle mode set)
 Asura.Kogasho
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: kogasho
By Asura.Kogasho 2017-06-11 05:59:34  
Yeah I have quite a few GS sets for pld but dropping that low seemed off to me. Ill go through them when i get home from work an see if i can manage it.
 Asura.Toralin
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2017-06-11 10:54:53  
PLD is frustrating because Blazed is right, and to all of us who have capped FC on various jobs we know how AWESOME it is, but you just cant do it on PLD without smoking all your HP.

--HP: 3,188, FC: 44

ItemSet 351848
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-06-11 12:17:41  
can do a lot better than that, especially if you swap weapons(PLD damage is ***on most things worth bringing a PLD to, obviously a toggle is appropriate because there are times you will want your TP)

ItemSet 341806

2985 HP on galka pld, 80 FC (2965 if you use moonbeam rings like a sane person).. only thing where I feel like I need more HP than that is the first bit of black and white where most of the fomor are still alive
[+]
By Blazed1979 2017-06-11 13:22:02  
Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
can do a lot better than that, especially if you swap weapons(PLD damage is ***on most things worth bringing a PLD to, obviously a toggle is appropriate because there are times you will want your TP)

ItemSet 341806

2985 HP on galka pld, 80 FC (2965 if you use moonbeam rings like a sane person).. only thing where I feel like I need more HP than that is the first bit of black and white where most of the fomor are still alive
I disagree, respectfully (about needing tp). An Atonement to Volt strike will result in an additional 30-40 or even 50k DMG Light SC on most things you need to turtle up on. Fair enough the atonement is going to do only 1.6k dmg, but without it there's no Light SC.

Also while FC is awesome, not capping it isn't having any detrimental effect on me when I tank. Still, it is a big step down play wise from say my blu or rdm or blm which are all capped on FC, 100% of the time with a some of that evil instacast %.
 Ragnarok.Martel
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2017-06-11 14:13:04  
Blazed1979 said: »
Ragnarok.Martel said: »
Test data
Spoiler Alert! Click to view.
Thanks!
Might just be from my side, but spoiler not working.
Hmm, wasn't just you. While the spoilers worked in the post preview, I can't get it to open in the actual post either.

I've removed the spoilers entirely so that the test data is visible.
[+]
 Asura.Kogasho
user: kogasho
By Asura.Kogasho 2017-06-12 02:20:59  
Thanks for all of your help guys, much appreciated!
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-06-12 09:37:05  
I disagree, respectfully (about needing tp). An Atonement to Volt strike will result in an additional 30-40 or even 50k DMG Light SC on most things you need to turtle up on. Fair enough the atonement is going to do only 1.6k dmg, but without it there's no Light SC.

waiting the 3 seconds after atonement is assenine during smn zerg, if using smn in a slow fight it might be useful but that's a pretty poor strategy in general

out of every fight in the game, tumult curator is the only one where the simplest and most reliable strategy involves smns and the monster doesn't die during the duration of conduit

it would be mildly useful in omen if people are stuck on smn for cards i guess, or vinipata if you don't have the coordination to do blm setup or smn zerg successfully.. not really an overwhelming amount of content

it's not that pld NEEDS 80% FC, it's that it has more value than TP so you're cheating yourself by not having the items available and at least set up to a toggle
By Blazed1979 2017-06-12 10:12:50  
waiting the 3 seconds after atonement is assenine during smn zerg, if using smn in a slow fight it might be useful but that's a pretty poor strategy in general
Not SMN zerg, just using SMNs. Example : Omen.
out of every fight in the game, tumult curator is the only one where the simplest and most reliable strategy involves smns and the monster doesn't die during the duration of conduit
Can't conduit Omen bosses without triggering HP gated mechanics that will result in a wipe. Our last Ou took 3 minutes without a zerg, using SMNs.
it would be mildly useful in omen if people are stuck on smn for cards i guess, or vinipata if you don't have the coordination to do blm setup or smn zerg successfully.. not really an overwhelming amount of content
See previous point. We are indeed farming SMN cards. Boss wise, a 3-4 minute kill is not too shabby using SMNs. Also fact that PLD contributes 10-15% of the DMG helps, due to landing 9k-12k savage blades every 45-60 seconds.

In a zerg situation - PLD is never going to need TP nor benefit from it.
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-06-12 10:36:06  
My point was that the situations where you'd actually care about TP are extremely isolated. If you do omen and you need SMN cards, that's probably the only particularly good example of PLD TP mattering. If most situations do not call for TP, it's pretty silly to not have a weapon swapping option.

Even my original post recommended a toggle, for the rare cases when you care about your TP.
By Blazed1979 2017-06-12 12:17:46  
My point was that the situations where you'd actually care about TP are extremely isolated
I guess the question is what content do you participate in most?
In ambuscade, omen having TP is beneficial, doing dmg with PLD is beneficial and not detrimental. On T4's, which I don't think is the majority of content, TP won't be needed.
 Ragnarok.Phuoc
By Ragnarok.Phuoc 2017-06-12 12:35:45  
My point was that the situations where you'd actually care about TP are extremely isolated
I guess the question is what content do you participate in most?
In ambuscade, omen having TP is beneficial, doing dmg with PLD is beneficial and not detrimental. On T4's, which I don't think is the majority of content, TP won't be needed.

TP doesnt matter because PLD isnt needed : D
By Blazed1979 2017-06-12 13:34:55  
Ragnarok.Phuoc said: »
TP doesnt matter because PLD isnt needed : D
Back to your Tattoo parlor, RUN.
 Valefor.Omnys
サーバ: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2017-06-15 19:10:33  
Thanks for all of your help guys, much appreciated!

I'll message this to you as well to make sure you see it, but since noone else mentioned it: Make sure your fast-cast/midcast/SIRD sets are using priority.

Edit: Like this
Code
body={name="Rev. Surcoat +2",priority=15},

For instance, in my fast cast set, I used both Odnowa's, assign them the highest priority. You can also (top down, 15=first, 0=last). Omen AF Body's significant hp is worth the few % lost on fast cast.

All your casting sets should have priorities set. It's handy if all sets do, but casting for certain.

I don't play anymore but I'm still dumb enough to visit this site every now and then.

---

While I'm not a fan of swapping weapons/shields, Comeatme is right.. the situations where PLD TP is useful are not that common. If a PLD can hit it, you probably don't need a PLD there (there are exceptions, of course). If you have, like me, an appropriately geared PLD and RUN, RUN will contribute to damage better.

Doing damage as PLD is not detrimental so long as you're not dumb and remember tanking is your first job, getting caught in ws-dt-levels @ ws-hp-levels can lead to sticky situations.

If it's casual enough that you don't have a chance to die, you probably don't need to be there.

Don't get me wrong, lifelong PLD but I wish they updated the job and made it as fun as RUN. The two tanks have some commonalities. RUN is just a modern-job designed for/adapted to the modern-game. Cover and Rampart aren't so amazing anymore. Feint and Chivalry aren't either and both need their timers adjusted.

Here's what I'd've done to PLD:

Shield Bash JP-Each level gives 25 TP for a total of 500 TP.
Stoneskin no longer nerfs Shield Mastery.
Cover either reduces say 20% of the party's enmity, 5 minute cooldown, steals/removes 50% of the target's enmity.
Rampart gets boosted.
Nerf Enlight II to Enlight I levels (maybe) but make it not decay.
I'd've given it Flash-ga. Not because aoe hate is hard, but because PLD has to /BLU to do it. RUN can tank relevant content with any sub it desires with no assistance. I never once RUN/BLU'd and tanked everything in the game with RUN except WoC because I preferred my PLD there.

It's not that I think the job needs buffs for balance, it's that the job isn't that fun anymore. Epeo may not be the best weapon in the game, but it's the best-designed weapon in the game. Burtgang just isn't remotely as fun and bogged down by such a ***-ws.
By Blazed1979 2017-06-15 19:48:46  
I see. TP is not needed because RUN > PLD.
Got it.
And with that, let us bury this argument/debate/conversation/discussion.
 Bahamut.Atamanos
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Atamanos
By Bahamut.Atamanos 2017-06-19 00:53:21  
could someone please post updated sets ones on main page seem outdated and ones on past 10 pages are so sporadic and theory crafty thank you in advance
By Davorin 2017-06-19 02:41:00  
Reread the last five pages, there are some good sets and discussion about them.
By andy1110 2017-06-21 08:50:00  
hey guys, I would like to put Blenmot's Ring on while using Holdy Water, what's the code looks like in GS?
 Shiva.Spynx
サーバ: Shiva
user: auron86
By Shiva.Spynx 2017-06-21 10:16:34  
I'm not sure you can make gearswap rule for specific meds use (some more savy users may provide the code) but what I have is an auto-equip doom gear when affected with it (Mote based):
Code
function job_buff_change(buff, gain)
        if buff == "doom" then
                if gain then           
                        equip(sets.Doom)
                        send_command('@input /p Doomed')
                        disable('slot1','slot2','slotN')
                else
                    enable('slot1','slot2','slotN')
                    handle_equipping_gear(player.status)
                end
        end
end
 Carbuncle.Akivatoo
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Akivatoo
By Carbuncle.Akivatoo 2017-06-21 12:29:09  
Code
        elseif buff == "doom" then
                if gain then           
                        equip(sets.Doom)
                        send_command('@input /p Doomed, please Cursna.')
                        send_command('@input /item "Holy Water" <me>')					
                        disable('legs','ring1','ring2','waist')
                elseif not gain and not player.status == "Dead" and not player.status == "Engaged Dead" then
                        enable('legs','ring1','ring2','waist')
                        send_command('input /p Doom removed, Thank you.')
                        handle_equipping_gear(player.status)
                else
                        enable('legs','ring1','ring2','waist')
                        send_command('input /p '..player.name..' is no longer Doom Thank you !')
                end
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
サーバ: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2017-06-21 14:42:09  
It looks like the last adds to chat when doom war cuz you died?

If so, I'd totally add some kind of death emote. ٩(×̯×)۶ looks good.

Or ꒰⁎×﹏×⁎꒱ ༘ؓ ँั๊ྃ

Man I'm so jealous of how expressive the other languages *know* how to get with text-emoticons. I mean, obviously we can type the characters, but I don't even know about most of the characters they use.
 Bahamut.Atamanos
By Bahamut.Atamanos 2017-06-21 23:43:40  
could anyone make any food recommendations please thank you in advance
 Ragnarok.Camlann
By Ragnarok.Camlann 2017-06-22 00:12:35  
Miso Ramen +1^
[+]
 Bahamut.Atamanos
By Bahamut.Atamanos 2017-06-23 20:11:39  
is the souv nq set a waste of time to get i know the hq/+1 has the 10% dt and more over all stats from all sources but 20mil + an item could be used other places thank you for your answers in advance
 Bismarck.Firedemon
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2017-06-23 20:33:38  
Depends how serious you are about Paladin. Is it NEEDED? No. No HQ gear is ever needed. Of course it makes you that much better, but it's how much you really care.
 Bahamut.Atamanos
By Bahamut.Atamanos 2017-06-23 20:41:54  
thank you for that answer was really the best it could of been worded
 Bahamut.Baozzer
user: baozzer
By Bahamut.Baozzer 2017-06-23 21:57:53  
20M for an HQ is cheap compared to all the other abj gear. HQ definitely has it uses but is not necessary. If you don't have a burtang I would suggest working your way up to that for -18PDTII rather then -1dmg from phalanx.
 Bismarck.Firedemon
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2017-06-23 22:47:22  
Bahamut.Baozzer said: »
20M for an HQ is cheap compared to all the other abj gear. HQ definitely has it uses but is not necessary. If you don't have a burtang I would suggest working your way up to that for -18PDTII rather then -1dmg from phalanx.

HQ set offers way more than just that. Without adding in augments you get +150 HP from the base set, not to mention the ability to cap -DT easier with set bonuses allowing for optimal builds in a turtle set. To be honest I'd rather have a serious Paladin use HQ gear before making a Burtgang.
 Asura.Jackflashh
user: Kido
By Asura.Jackflashh 2017-06-24 02:20:35  
Bismarck.Firedemon said: »
Bahamut.Baozzer said: »

HQ set offers way more than just that. Without adding in augments you get +150 HP from the base set, not to mention the ability to cap -DT easier with set bonuses allowing for optimal builds in a turtle set. To be honest I'd rather have a serious Paladin use HQ gear before making a Burtgang.

Not sure if I entirely agree with that. Yes HQ sets might allow a little more freedom in other spots b/c you can cap dt easier, but the fact remains that you'd cap DT anyway. So I'd much rather have a pld in NQ sets with an extra 18% pdt, than a pld with a little extra HP or mdb in 2 slots b/c he capped dt faster.
By Taint 2017-06-24 06:39:59  
The extra DT from the HQ allows the PLD to stack even more HP/emn/resist/FC etc and still be capped. It's a much larger bonus when you look at the big picture.
[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 33 34 35 ... 137 138 139