フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Paladin » PLD/BLU
PLD/BLU
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
サーバ: Leviathan
Game: FFXI
user: bluecop81
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2016-01-07 18:55:40  
So in recent updates, Ive noticed a lot more mobs have a hate reset or even a 100% hate loss and as a basic pld/war with all haste I can ask for not a lot I can do to get hate back with out killing my HP and trying to cure bomb for hate. While this trick does work most days it always comes with a risk of death and thus defeating the idea of tanking. A friend of mine suggested pld/blu. As I have used this for DMv2 and other events and with great success, I was wondering if anyone has tried this as a viable option with any success in More recent content. As well as that question, and aside from the obvious hate spam spells seen in other PLD section post, what other spells would you use /blu? Cocoon blank gaze Jettatura as well as some healing pair to get 1 regen a tic. What else would you suggest? I have not been a very good blu so Id hope for a good point in the right direction
 Leviathan.Stamos
user: Stamos
By Leviathan.Stamos 2016-01-07 19:23:31  
Go PUP

[+]
 Asura.Saevel
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Saevel 2016-01-07 19:35:23  
I've used /BLU a lot on RUN, not sure how much that translates for PLD though.

Jettatura is like another flash but with more CE and a longer recast time.

Geist Wall is a good aoe hate tool, though RUN pairs it with self cast foil, not sure about how PLD would do it.

Blank Gaze is a cheap, low recast spell that generates a lot of CE per cast.

Some job traits like MAB, or a killer trait if it's applicable. Cocoon is a good way to boost defense but it's frequently overwritten by defense down status effects. Maybe refueling as an emergency gimp haste. Wild Carrot is a super cheap Cure III you can exploit if you wanted.
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2016-01-08 09:44:46  
Thanks for the help, except Stamos
[+]
 Sylph.Parshias
サーバ: Sylph
user: Parshias
By Sylph.Parshias 2016-01-08 10:07:35  
I know some of the PLD/BLUs in my LS use Sheep Song for AoE hate.
 Asura.Loire
user: Bunnygod
By Asura.Loire 2016-01-08 10:37:11  
Leviathan.Brotherhood said: »
So in recent updates, Ive noticed a lot more mobs have a hate reset or even a 100% hate loss and as a basic pld/war with all haste I can ask for not a lot I can do to get hate back with out killing my HP and trying to cure bomb for hate. While this trick does work most days it always comes with a risk of death and thus defeating the idea of tanking. A friend of mine suggested pld/blu. As I have used this for DMv2 and other events and with great success, I was wondering if anyone has tried this as a viable option with any success in More recent content. As well as that question, and aside from the obvious hate spam spells seen in other PLD section post, what other spells would you use /blu? Cocoon blank gaze Jettatura as well as some healing pair to get 1 regen a tic. What else would you suggest? I have not been a very good blu so Id hope for a good point in the right direction
Lately been pld/blu more than /war do to hate resets, when it isn't a fight where dispels are too common since waiting on timers kills a lot of the advantage. Sheep song(aoe), jettarua(tight gaze cone), soporofic(aoe), geist wall(aoe) are all really great for generating hate on groups as well as easy to rotate in on a single target, as well as blank gaze. Cocoon was already touched on, but for traits there isn't much. Best is any of the killer effects that you can snag with excess points. Also when group tanking I suggest you look into investing into a spell interupt set (102%), you can get great mileage with it in other situations too but for holding off ga and ja nukes it is quite helpful.
[+]
 Leviathan.Brotherhood
By Leviathan.Brotherhood 2016-01-08 11:28:33  
Thanks Loire, I have a set in the works somewhere near 80% right now but not lookin to stock up on gear atm just lookin to help people out. I'll go ti zi-tah and get the last items needed for my set
 Asura.Loire
user: Bunnygod
By Asura.Loire 2016-01-08 11:37:45  
Thanks Loire, I have a set in the works somewhere near 80% right now but not lookin to stock up on gear atm just lookin to help people out. I'll go ti zi-tah and get the last items needed for my set
Ya spell interupt is one of those things were you do it in full or not bother at all.
[+]
 Seraph.Jacaut
サーバ: Seraph
user: Jacaut
By Seraph.Jacaut 2016-02-01 13:54:11  
anyone have a link to a guide/ or in depth explanation on pld/blu what spells etc, im new to pld in general so im just use to /war and sucking at that so far too lol
 Fenrir.Ramzus
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Venomfury
By Fenrir.Ramzus 2016-02-01 13:55:51  
Asura.Loire said: »
Lately been pld/blu more than /war do to hate resets, when it isn't a fight where dispels are too common since waiting on timers kills a lot of the advantage. Sheep song(aoe), jettarua(tight gaze cone), soporofic(aoe), geist wall(aoe) are all really great for generating hate on groups as well as easy to rotate in on a single target, as well as blank gaze. Cocoon was already touched on, but for traits there isn't much. Best is any of the killer effects that you can snag with excess points. Also when group tanking I suggest you look into investing into a spell interupt set (102%), you can get great mileage with it in other situations too but for holding off ga and ja nukes it is quite helpful.
 Seraph.Jacaut
サーバ: Seraph
user: Jacaut
By Seraph.Jacaut 2016-02-01 14:17:53  
lol well of course i read that, was wondering if there was more info out there was all :P

*editing*

yeah i just equipped /blu and i realize there really isnt much past that lol sorry i havent even touched my blu in about 2-3 years let alone subbed it ever before
 Asura.Lanselot
user: aeronx
By Asura.Lanselot 2016-02-01 16:19:16  
Ive also noticed this a lot, but with the right set for example maintaining high enmity around 110 with crusade its not too hard to rotate flash and provoke to reclaim hate will get the nm attention back relatively easily. Selkit being an nm that comes to mind when it does hell scissors I just flash, as long as im hasted I can have flash up before the next hell scissors goes off. I use /blu more when I need cocoon and a more defensive set up. I will agree with you on /blu's ability for aoe hate moves though. /war usefulness has not been diminished though.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [366 days between previous and next post]
 Quetzalcoatl.Chanceikin
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Chanceikin 2017-02-01 12:56:04  
Asura.Loire said: »

Quick question, possible bump - more about the lua end of this. You can add spells.midcast["Blue Magic"] and spells.precast["Blue Magic"] - or would you need extra rules for this?

I've been lazy with luas and trying to catch up without invalidating other gear sets I use in other situations.
 Ragnarok.Martel
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Martel 2017-02-01 13:25:03  
Most lua(mage ones at least) have rules in place that would usesets made using that structure. Whether your pld one specifically does is another matter.

Add the sets, cast and see what happens.
 Asura.Toralin
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2017-02-01 13:44:56  
Couple snippets I use courtest of Rolandj
Code
EnmityBlueMagic = S{"Jettatura","Sheep Song","Soporific","Blank Gaze","Geist Wall"} -- BlueMagic --

Code
 sets.Midcast.BLUEnmity = {ammo="Staunch tathlum +1", --95 Enmity, -104% Spell Interrupt, 2,713 HP--
        head=SouvHead,neck="Unmoving Collar +1",ear1="Halasz earring",ear2="Knightly earring",
        body=SouvBody,hands=SouvHand,ring1="Apeile ring +1",ring2="Apeile Ring",
        back=JSECapeEN,waist="Rumination sash",legs="Founder's hose",feet=OdysFeetFC}
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
サーバ: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2017-02-01 15:26:51  
I love my SIRD set and think every paladin should have one, mine is largely identical to Toralin's but I'd advise keeping on at least defending ring. (Not trying to brag, I'm far from the only one) I tanked AV, Omen, and Ambuscade several times with /blu with both d.ring and vocane(or could use geletinous) in my midcast and never had a hate problem.

(Most Ambuscades, PLD/WAR can tank just fine)

You can control when you flash a single target, but AOE hate is usually more in response (oh hey, wynavs) to something and you can't usually control timing it between everything's specials..

What works for a particular person works for a particular person and I'm not trying to question anyone (especially Toralin^^) at all but I've seen a lot of Paladins get crushed in midcast (probably because they have little to no defensive gear in midcast).

It's a tremendous gift that PLD can SIRD cap and DT cap or near it at the same time, while still maintaining great hp.
[+]
By Felgarr 2017-02-01 15:45:36  
Valefor.Omnys said: »
I love my SIRD set and think every paladin should have one, mine is largely identical to Toralin's but I'd advise keeping on at least defending ring. (Not trying to brag, I'm far from the only one) I tanked AV, Omen, and Ambuscade several times with /blu with both d.ring and vocane(or could use geletinous) in my midcast and never had a hate problem.

You can control when you flash a single target, but AOE hate is usually more in response (oh hey, wynavs) to something and you can't usually control timing it between everything's specials..

What works for a particular person works for a particular person and I'm not trying to question anyone (especially Toralin^^) at all but I've seen a lot of Paladins get crushed in midcast (probably because they have little to no defensive gear in midcast).

It's a tremendous gift that PLD can SIRD cap and DT cap or near it at the same time, while still maintaining great hp.

What does the acronym SIRD mean?
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2017-02-01 15:47:59  
Spell Interruption Rate Down.
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2017-02-01 16:29:44  
Martel covered what SIRD stands for but since you didn't know, here's some important points-

It's not worth half-doing. Build a full set can (all the gear is reasonably easy to obtain). This isn't obvious, but the cap is not 100%, probably because the game operates on 1024 so much (feel free to correct me).

Waist can be the most difficult to obtain (don't skimp on Souv. Schaller +1) but if you come up a few % short, there's a ring in Ru'Aun that gives 5%.

If you're at 95% and 5 things taking regular swings at you, you're going to get interrupted a lot more than you'd think. This is even true at 100%. Heck, it can feel like you're always getting interrupted.

It's important to maintain reasonable -DT in your sets but all times. It's not that hard for PLD to be DT-capped and I prefer that.

Aquaveil (either from /rdm or /whm or accessioned from a mage) is no substitute for an SIRD set for PLD.

RUN is a bit different since Foil offers amazing AOE enmity, if you've hit the mobs with something (In Omen, I like shockwave. If you're fast, there's really no harm).
[+]
 Asura.Toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2017-02-01 16:31:27  

Yup certainly not a bad idea, I am fairly new to PLD and havent had to much stuff smoke me midcast, but certainly can see the utility of going for -DT vs Enmity on the rings. Everytime I see an idea like this I end up making a toggle to switch back and forth. Also a strong fastcast set I can only assume minimizes the time your midcast gear is on as well
 Asura.Toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2017-02-01 16:32:19  
Martel covered what SIRD stands for but since you didn't know, here's some important points-

It's not worth half-doing. Build a full set can (all the gear is reasonably easy to obtain). This isn't obvious, but the cap is not 100%, probably because the game operates on 1024 so much (feel free to correct me).

Waist can be the most difficult to obtain (don't skimp on Souv. Schaller +1) but if you come up a few % short, there's a ring in Ru'Aun that gives 5%.

If you're at 95% and 5 things taking regular swings at you, you're going to get interrupted a lot more than you'd think. This is even true at 100%. Heck, it can feel like you're always getting interrupted.

It's important to maintain reasonable -DT in your sets but all times. It's not that hard for PLD to be DT-capped and I prefer that.

Aquaveil (either from /rdm or /whm or accessioned from a mage) is no substitute for an SIRD set for PLD.

RUN is a bit different since Foil offers amazing AOE enmity, if you've hit the mobs with something (In Omen, I like shockwave. If you're fast, there's really no harm).

Question on SIRD how do merits play into this. when I first started PLD I moved 5 merits in b/c its 10% bump
 Valefor.Omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2017-02-01 16:52:26  
I'm unsure how merits play into it.

It probably boils down the same problem as haste on gear, some pieces say 5% and give 50 (towards 1024) and some pieces give 51 or 52 (just under/over true 5%).

Asura.Toralin said: »
Yup certainly not a bad idea, I am fairly new to PLD and havent had to much stuff smoke me midcast, but certainly can see the utility of going for -DT vs Enmity on the rings. Everytime I see an idea like this I end up making a toggle to switch back and forth. Also a strong fastcast set I can only assume minimizes the time your midcast gear is on as well

Strong fast cast sets are important and it's okay for Gearswap* users to skimp on -DT for fastcast (because you're out of it so fast you can't even see the swap but fast cast is not so important as to lose HP and most PLD gear besides Souveran is very lacking in HP (the exception being AF+2/+3 Body from Omen), and it has fast cast and -DT. It's the winningest set to ever win.

When You look at using things like Homam/enif legs or even augmented odyssean, you lose a lot of HP.

* People who rely on equipset cannot swap as fast as gearswap users. It's unfair but it's the truth. In that environment, I would value DT in my fast cast set.
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2017-02-01 17:37:30  
The SIRD cap is 102%. I've never heard any reports of people not capping there, so I'm inclined to think the gear doesn't suffer form the x/1024 issues that haste does. Or maybe they jsut tended to go high rather than low. /shurg.

Either way it'd be a *** to test.

Merits count exactly the same as gear, and you can include them in your calcs to reach 102%
[+]
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [201 days between previous and next post]
By zaxtiss 2017-08-21 17:52:25  
anyone have a SIRD set they can share for pld?
 Lakshmi.Kyera
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Celina
By Lakshmi.Kyera 2017-08-21 18:26:35  
zaxtiss said: »
anyone have a SIRD set they can share for pld?

ItemSet 351882

This is the simplest set I came up with. It actually comes out to 100% SIRD but you need 102% to be truly capped... personally I solved this by putting a merit into SIRD. If you don't have HQ Schaller you can use Evanescence Ring or some other random pieces (I think there is an earring with SIRD? I never bothered)

The feet can also be augmented with fast cast or enmity.
 Quetzalcoatl.Commencal
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Scwall
By Quetzalcoatl.Commencal 2017-08-21 19:22:42  
Isn't 109% needed? Maybe I'm wrong.

You're thinking of Knightly Earring.
 Asura.Kyerra
user: Celina
By Asura.Kyerra 2017-08-21 19:42:58  
Quetzalcoatl.Commencal said: »
Isn't 109% needed? Maybe I'm wrong.

You're thinking of Knightly Earring.

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Spell_Interruption_Rate

"Attaining -102% Spell Interruption Rate will make you entirely immune to interruption from physical damage."
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2017-08-21 21:36:15  
Halasz Earring has -5%, though it does come with a little -enmity. It's also possible to get Dark Rings with -interrupt.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [241 days between previous and next post]
By Felgarr 2018-04-20 00:58:04  
Apologies for the necro bump, but I'm following up from my reply in February 2017. Thanks for the help with SIRD set!

More recently, are there any additional spells that PLD/BLU will benefit from?

So far I have the 5 mentioned in this thread:

Blank Gaze
Jettatura
Geist Wall
Sheep Song
Soporific

A Nice defensive spell:
Cocoon

Other spells I added for Traits or because I had the Blue Mage points to spend and nothing to really assign them to:
Power Attack
Terror Touch
Claw Cyclone
Grand Slam
Sprout Smack
Smite of Rage
Metallic Body

Any comments/feedback on other/better/more useful/situational spells is appreciated. Thank you.
 Phoenix.Mikumaru
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Mikumaru
By Phoenix.Mikumaru 2018-04-20 08:17:51  
Metallic Body has a long cast time, so unless you got a pimp casting set and/or Ochain it might not be as beneficial. Healing Breeze is a good spell if you deal with alot of AoE dmg and helps the WHM out while generating some sweet hate. Refueling is good of you get dispelled alot to keep your haste up as well.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8