Noob GEO - Any Advice?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Geomancer » Noob GEO - any advice?
Noob GEO - any advice?
 Asura.Tarquine
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Tarquine 2016-03-01 10:22:19  
Hi

So BRD seems well and truly dead, and I have finally put all my BRD gear in storage. I only have a 3Song and it seems like unless you are a double/triple REM 4+ song BRD, then it's a case of "jog on sunshine, GEO Onry". Fair enough, happy to give it a proper whirl.

When GEO came out I rushed it to 99 in Abyssea like 99% of the population purely for completion sake. I'm now working on capping the skill off properly (nearly done) and i've read through the guide, and the forum posts, and have a good idea of the kind of gear I can start pulling together before I join in any groups. I have got all the spells.

That said, I clearly won't have any of the BIS stuff for a long while. Looking for advice on what to achieve as mid-way gear to hold over until I can start getting better stuff. I have Hagondes+1 with MABs, and various WHM cure sets, fast cast, -PDT etc. I'm thinking the Empyrean set NQ is a good step for GEO spell set?

I see shouts for "900" GEO etc. which I think is achieved by Handbell Skill + Geo skill right? No chance i'll hit that straight off the bat, but I think i read it comes in tiers of 180 - so just be over 720 and i'm good until fine tuned?

Also - is Nepote (+5 Geo skill) > Filae (+18 Handbell skill)? From reading the forums it seems that way, but that would mean that Geo skill > Hand bell skill. I plan on picking up up Dunna, but it's good to know the finer details of the game mechanics.

Finally, I plan on getting up to some starter gear then just tagging along with LS mates on random events just to learn more, but any advice on actual play style?! I am a good BRD (in the sense I can play it well, stack songs, cure, buff PT, debuff, sleep, pull manage etc. - I'm just not a REM BRD). As I haven't had a change to actually play GEO in a group, any tips on what to do beyond buff/debuff and be a good mage support (i.e. nuke/heal when necessary). For example, do people bother with the cardinal points mechanic, or does that rarely actually work?

Cheers!
 Cerberus.Avalon
サーバ: Cerberus
user: KupoNuts
By Cerberus.Avalon 2016-03-01 10:29:02  
BRD is not dead, but that's besides the point. Honor March is making waves. :)

Anyway, get all your spells. Don't be that GEO who is missing a rarely used obscure geocolure spell, because the moment you're asked to use it and you don't have it, there's a possibility you wont be invited again - particularly if you're in a PUG or with a group that knows WTF they're doing.

Build a proper DT set for those instances in which you're asked to be a front-line GEO. A dead GEO offers little to the party.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2016-03-01 10:31:33  
Go directly to Dunna, do not pass go. Handbell skill and geomancy skill are equivalent, but Geomancy+ is something else entirely.

Tiers vary by spell, most increment in smaller amounts than 180. Get as much skill as you can; you'll need gifts to hit 900 anyway, but you should bring the best you can in the meantime.

Grab some pet DT/regen gear alongside your own DT gear to help keep your luopan alive. The luopan has an innate DT-50%, so you'd need another 38% (37.5%) to cap.
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
サーバ: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-03-01 10:46:12  
NF nailed it.

The best part about geo's 900 cap is that it means you can swap to things like Conserve MP once you begin to pass that cap.

Incanter's torque is a wonderful skill piece as it double dips.

Unlike Bard or cor, some situations will have you staying in melee range--build the best -dt kit you can. You can survive the aoes, I believe in you.

Carry two idle sets for when pet is out and for when it is not out.

Build a good cure potency set which is easy even in starter gear.
[+]
By dustinfoley 2016-03-01 10:49:15  
Really wish people would stop saying teirs...

https://www.bluegartr.com/threads/125602-more-magic-testing?p=6606317#post6606317

It depends on the spell and some spells will grow with power every 3-4 skill other will require 34-37 skill. There definitly is no 'teir' that affects all geo spells.

For spells that matter you can easily get 850 skill and thats 95% the power of most spells at 900 skill. If the group NEEEEDDDSDSSS that 5% difference, the are prolly gonna fail anyways.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Guthrie
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Lebeau
By Quetzalcoatl.Guthrie 2016-03-01 10:59:02  
Don't just stand there and do nothing once you have bubbles down. See way too many GEOs just throw down bubbles. Cure/status effects/nuke/enfeeble your face off once you have down your bubbles.
[+]
 Cerberus.Avalon
サーバ: Cerberus
user: KupoNuts
By Cerberus.Avalon 2016-03-01 11:01:11  
Quetzalcoatl.Guthrie said: »
Don't just stand there and do nothing once you have bubbles down. See way too many GEOs just throw down bubbles. Cure/status effects/nuke/enfeeble your face off once you have down your bubbles.

Nuking has it's uses and a proper MAB/MB is important, but you also don't want to gimp the SCH's and BLM's on their MB's.

And I agree - lazy GEO's have no place in my runs either.
[+]
By fillerbunny9 2016-03-01 11:14:04  
I would say to first and foremost get your AF Hands, Relic Body/Legs, and Empy Head/Feet to 119 as those are going to provide the biggest buffs to your Indi/Geo spells after Dunna. depending on what other jobs you have, getting the three Magic Skill torques from Escha - Ru'Aun will be a big boost to your skills as well, and can easily be soloed on THF with Trusts. cap your enfeebling (if it isn't already) and get a good Enfeebling/M.Acc set as sticking Frazzle/Distract in CP parties and beyond when there is no RDM is a boon.

a MAB/MB set is possibly the least important unless you are getting mage buffs (ballads, rolls, and using Focus/Acumen). if you are doing multi-GEO events and end up being just a debuffer, it's not worth your MP to try and burst with the other mages. I have done some solid damage under the right circumstances, but when the buffs are not there on high tier content, it's only marginally better than throwing Pebbles.
[+]
 Valefor.Omnys
サーバ: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-03-01 11:50:50  
Cerberus.Avalon said: »
Nuking has it's uses and a proper MAB/MB is important, but you also don't want to gimp the SCH's and BLM's on their MB's.

And I agree - lazy GEO's have no place in my runs either.

Especially while gearing. Great you MB'd a t5 for 10k and gimped the incoming damage from the elemental squad.

One problem I had with early geomancer was that my bubbles were more important than anything else I could do, so if I was fighting something where Aspir wasn't available/reliable and mp was an issue, I certainly would save mp for bubbles. Things like this are generally difficult enough to kill bubbles quickly.

(@OP) Your geo-vex or geo-malaise or geo-frailty is worth so much more than a weak nuke while you're gearing up/highly m.evasive content.

I never threw down bubbles and afk'd, but while an mp-dry bard or corsair still has power, an mp-dry geo is desperately waiting for enough MP to restore the bubble.

OP:

Debuff bubbles are frequently more potent than Buff bubbles (Malaise [-MDB] does more for nukes than Acumen [+MAB]). Debuff also effects the mob itself so doesn't matter who is casting on it.

Sometimes I like to indi-languor (-m.eva) and geo-malaise (-m.defense) in large battles like Escha Dragons for this very reason.

Bubbles have wildly varying costs. If MP is low and bubble is dead, I like to throw down a Geo-Voidance on myself (35 mp) and radial arcana. Geo-Poison is 10mp cheaper, but could wake slept mobs.

The easiest way to get on the hate list of a single enemy is of course to cast on it. The easiest way to get on the hate list of multiple enemies is to toss a cure at a blm or sch after they've slept/petrified the mobs. This is important as debuff bubbles only work for mobs you have some amount of enmity on. The cure doesn't have to do any healing. Healing for 0 hp still gets things rolling.

GEO in Apex was the worst experience of my FF-life. Babysitting bubbles for the 500th crab gets so annoying. The bubble effect is strong enough that it nauseates you but weak enough that you might not notice it's gone (apex). Get used to paying attention. Further, most groups will want indi-haste/geo-malaise and you need to position yourself so that the elemental death squad and team melee are both getting the effects of indi-haste. On top of babysitting bubbles, you have to babysit the BLM that keeps trying sit in the nosebleeds or tanks/melee that keep creeping forward. In apex parties, I like to get on the enemy hate list with frazzle from /rdm or dia2 from /whm.
[+]