Is Ranger A Safe First Job?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ranger » is ranger a safe first job?
is ranger a safe first job?
First Page 2 3
 Asura.Iuno
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: freyavp
By Asura.Iuno 2016-07-10 20:49:27  
looking for a job to pick up as a new player. is ranger noob friendly in terms of gear acquisition/amount of gear it needs to perform adequately at beginners endgame? which sub jobs are most useful?

and lastly, if ranger isnt cheap for beginners, which way should i head?

thanks
By Afania 2016-07-10 20:54:02  
No. For some reason I find this question...... trollish >.>
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2016-07-10 21:06:48  
with sparks as a gil source, you'll have 0 problem leveling rng nin or whatever else you choose.. people acting like consumables are a problem are silly

the problem will come when nobody wants an undergeared dd for endgame and you can't get groups to stop being undergeared

the reality is at this point the only jobs people will take undergeared are whm geo and occasionally brd and cor
[+]
 Asura.Iuno
By Asura.Iuno 2016-07-10 21:07:55  
Candlejack said: »
Afania said: »
No. For some reason I find this question...... trollish >.>
Now, now. Best to err on the side of caution. Maybe OP is genuinely new and absolutely wants to know.
yeah bought the game in the steam summer sale like 3 days ago.

i saw that the rov moogle sells ammo pouches, do those lighten the cost at all?
[+]
By Verda 2016-07-10 21:22:12  
Ranger used to be one of the most expensive jobs in the game period and if you subbed ninja one could arguably say it was THE most expensive job in the game period. However now SE has gone full circle, first with making recycle something every ranger will want due to the relic hat, and secondly with only the relic hat capping your recycle which caps at 90%. Then if that weren't enough, they gave us the curio moogle which gives all ammo for very very cheap. Then if that weren't enough if you go the full way through, all the best weapons in the game for ranger dispense ammo so it costs literally nothing. Cost is not what I'd let prohibit your ranger choice at all :) I hope you have fun coming back whatever you pick.
[+]
 Asura.Iuno
By Asura.Iuno 2016-07-10 21:24:30  
Verda said: »
Ranger used to be one of the most expensive jobs in the game period and if you subbed ninja one could arguably say it was THE most expensive job in the game period. However now SE has gone full circle, first with making recycle something every ranger will want due to the relic hat, and secondly with only the relic hat capping your recycle which caps at 90%. Then if that weren't enough, they gave us the curio moogle which gives all ammo for very very cheap. Then if that weren't enough if you go the full way through, all the best weapons in the game for ranger dispense ammo so it costs literally nothing. Cost is not what I'd let prohibit your ranger choice at all :) I hope you have fun coming back whatever you pick.
so i can do something like pick up geo or healer etc to gear up another job, and then fund a ranger pretty easily?

how does one get a relic hat?

loledit: someone in jeuno ran upto me and handed me 5 million gil. OK then, cost wont be a factor for a while.
By Afania 2016-07-10 21:37:57  
Asura.Iuno said: »
looking for a job to pick up as a new player. is ranger noob friendly in terms of gear acquisition/amount of gear it needs to perform adequately at beginners endgame? which sub jobs are most useful?

thanks

Well, RNG is one of the least new player friendly job because most of the groups don't build parties using rng as DD. So you won't get invite(as a new undergeared player) and you won't get gear. Then it gets harder to get invite without good gears.

If you want fast easy invite as new player you're stuck playing mage, support, or at least bandwagon DDs that's more commonly accepted in PUG, such as bst or blu. If you send tell to join pt as rng the reality is that most PUG leader will ignore you unless you have amazing gears and build the reputation of hitting things hard.
 Asura.Thorva
user: Thorva
By Asura.Thorva 2016-07-10 21:44:52  

thanks

Well, RNG is one of the least new player friendly job because most of the groups don't build parties using rng as DD. So you won't get invite(as a new undergeared player) and you won't get gear. Then it gets harder to get invite without good gears.

If you want fast easy invite as new player you're stuck playing mage, support, or at least bandwagon DDs that's more commonly accepted in PUG, such as bst or blu. If you send tell to join pt as rng the reality is that most PUG leader will ignore you unless you have amazing gears and build the reputation of hitting things hard.

I will agree with this 100%, it will take you an immense amount of gear and reputation to be able to show up on jobs that are not in the "circle crowd" (can rep "crowd" with "jerk" if you desire)

When I came back I started on cor, I did fairly well with it, got me into enough groups to gear up both sch and side geared my drk up, working on rdm now.

Your circle jobs will be whm, pld, run, geo, sch, blm, often times you will see cor in shouts. Right now there are shouts for piercing DD in ambuscade because of the piercing weakness in that specific battlefield. If you want to DD, the easiest route (path for those Aussies) would be blu or bst.

If you put your heart into it, you will still be able to do 90% of the content in the game on just about any job you choose. Just be prepared to bust your butt gearing up and playing on your A-Game.

Edit: As Verda said below me, thf. Always have thf, at this point in the game everyone should have thf leveled and TH gear.
By Verda 2016-07-10 21:45:31  
Nice :D 5 mil won't last as long as you might think so spend it wisely! That was still very nice of them though. A THF and many other jobs soloing dynamis can make over 2 mil an hour, but takes a while to get up to that point from scratch. I'd read through bg-wiki about the jobs you like and maybe take a look at job guides here. Bg-wiki will also list where to get gear and how to upgrade it :D

Relic hat is here: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Scout%27s_Beret

And how to upgrade it is here: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Category:Reforged_Relic_Armor

I'd start with just leveling up and missions, it doesn't really matter what you play unless you want to do end game then you have to play what others value if you want to go. RNG is actually in a good spot right now but isn't too popular, the main hurdle to playing RNG will be others opinion of the metagame and what is valuable to them in endgame. A RNG setup could probably do endgame but that wont' matter unless you had a group of people both setup for and willing to do it and there's none that I know of at the moment and people tend to stick with what works. I wouldn't worry about endgame though, that's a ways off and there's a ton to do and explore have fun :)

You'll have to level another job up at least part way though to unlock ranger, I'd recommend joining a LS as soon as you can there's Linkshell Consierge about and other people can help you a lot. https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Linkshell_Concierge To see where they are located good luck :D
[+]
 Asura.Iuno
By Asura.Iuno 2016-07-10 21:49:48  
thanks for the help everyone, are the guides up to date here for rng and bandwagomancer?
 Asura.Thorva
By Asura.Thorva 2016-07-10 21:52:44  
Bubble boy thread should have fairly updated gearsets and info. Even if not on the first page you can run through the last few pages and probably find decent enough sets to hit 900 skill, refresh/idle, nuke sets, and -dt gear.
By Verda 2016-07-10 21:53:39  
Ranger not really but if you read further in you can get more up to date info and there's some career ranger and players that love ranger about always happy to answer a question, GEO yes it's updated.
 Asura.Thorva
By Asura.Thorva 2016-07-10 21:56:50  
Oh, and Trueflight is a huge part of rng right now, especially on higher tier fights. Can do some decent numbers with that ws. I wouldn't say rng is obsolete in the least, just not common if anything.
By Afania 2016-07-10 22:03:07  
Asura.Thorva said: »
Oh, and Trueflight is a huge part of rng right now, especially on higher tier fights. Can do some decent numbers with that ws. I wouldn't say rng is obsolete in the least, just not common if anything.

It's not common because in order to get trueflight rng to work well, pt lead will have setup buffs for it, such as using malaise.

And most of the PUG leaders in this game simply aren't used to it. They're mostly used to bst or blu setup and build parties based on bst, blu and will only shout for bst or blus.
 Asura.Iuno
By Asura.Iuno 2016-07-10 22:06:21  
google says that comes from a fancy weapon, is the gandiva or yoichichi bow any good things to aim for down the pipe as well?
 Asura.Thorva
By Asura.Thorva 2016-07-10 22:06:41  
Yeah, sadly.... But you can build around a rng and still be effective in most content. Just not the first thought in people's mind.
By Chyula 2016-07-10 22:14:01  
Level Drg, everyone want it in end game because of the extra damage from pet.
MSPaint Winner
By Skjalfeirdotter 2016-07-10 23:21:30  
Its not cheap, but if you like it - go for it. RNG can do crazy huge damage. :3
 Ragnarok.Slyshen
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Slyshen1
By Ragnarok.Slyshen 2016-07-10 23:26:31  
No.
By BlaTheTaru 2016-07-10 23:34:30  
RNG is cheap relatively speaking. Considering plasm is totally free and you can pretty much gear yourself with sparks. If you level with trusts all the way to 99 you wont spend any more gil than someone doing a mage job buying all the spells.
By Afania 2016-07-11 00:00:35  
google says that comes from a fancy weapon, is the gandiva or yoichichi bow any good things to aim for down the pipe as well?

Trueflight is mythic ws, you can use mythic ws on any weapon once you unlock it, the ws is just more powerful with a mythic, other weapon works too.

Edit: Any weapon of the same type, fixed to avoid confusion.
 Asura.Chiaia
VIP
user: Demmis
By Asura.Chiaia 2016-07-11 00:08:13  

Trueflight is mythic ws, you can use mythic ws on any weapon once you unlock it, the ws is just more powerful with a mythic, other weapon works too.
Just to clarify you can use it on any Marksmanship weapon (XBow or Gun) once you unlock it but NOT on a bow (Archery).
[+]
 Fenrir.Caiir
VIP
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Caiir 2016-07-11 00:28:08  
no it is not worth it
 Asura.Azagarth
user: Azagarth
By Asura.Azagarth 2016-07-11 00:31:11  
rng is NOT expensive.... nothing is anymore. Literally if you solo just melee with axes and shoot to pull. Solo xp your trusts will be able to do all the work until 99 basically. Will you lv as fast? No,but you will still hit 99 in a few hrs of xping.... nothing.

As for future costs, I wouldnt look at a rng without a REM anymore, they are just to easy to get and the dmg boost is huge (plus unlimted free top notch ammo). Each cost 300m~ give or take 100m. Not much difference and honestly for a goal its not bad, you can do it in 3 months casually.

As others have stated this is not a 1 job game anymore like it once was. You need multiple. My suggestion since you want to shoot stuff is lv COR. You will always get a pty and the only thing your not useful for is T4 fights. By the time you actually get a shell that does T4 for aenoics you will be forced to lv a mage job anyhow for current playstyles. Cor could be useful on a few fights and rng too, however these types of LS will have literally top geared cor and rngs and you probably wont fit in for a long time.

Easy road anymore IMO is WHM, not expensive at all compared to other jobs. A must in every pty that ever exists. If you get yagrush you are literally being faught over by Ls's to join. Geo is in same circle with idris, but thats 6 months of work and your new, you would have yagrush way before then and cheaper. my 2 cents.
 Asura.Ezekial
user: Ezekial
By Asura.Ezekial 2016-07-11 00:31:23  
RNG is a terrible first job, but if it's what you want to do. Go for it!
By Verda 2016-07-11 00:37:06  
Last Stand for Marksmanship and especially Jishnu's Radiance for Archery are both excellent weaponskills too, Jishnu's can deal great damage properly geared, its main downside is the primary stat to increase the weaponskills damage won't increase your weaponskill accuracy like Last Stand does, then again, Ranger's strongest physical weaponskills historically tend to sacrifice accuracy for damage (Slug Shot and Sidewinder). The relic hat too, giving 50 TP per shot is huge but it comes at the cost of accuracy. SE makes all physical jobs sacrifice damage to get accuracy, but it seems to have a lot larger slider for Ranger. Ranger has the most accuracy in the game, and a lot of trade offs it can make to accuracy to boost damage. Last Stand is an exception, but maximizing its damage requires standing a lot closer (for trueshot and distance correction) and it doesn't perform as well for the TP invested. I think trueflight is amazing, but Archery is probably easier to start with and a solid part of ranger I feel all RNG should have a set for. If for nothing else, the number of mobs that don't take magic damage well.

Both are good weapons, unfortunately very few have Gandiva to report how the latest upgrades affected it, it lacks accuracy compared to a lot of other endgame ranger weapons but it is the bow SE designed for Jishnu's. A Ranger with Yoichi will have the most accuracy you can get in the game. Both are great for different reasons imo. Talk to Asura.Xijaah, he's on your server he is very knowledgeable and will be able to point you in the right direction and owns a Yoichi.
 Valefor.Omnys
サーバ: Valefor
user: omnys
By Valefor.Omnys 2016-07-11 00:49:01  
One downside to RNG is not getting a lot of re-usability out of the gear. It's important to be versatile especially when you're first starting out.

Yeah you can share some gear with COR and some gear with THF and other soft-armor jobs, but you'll have a lot of missing slots. You'll spend nearly as much/more time gathering gear for your secondary jobs as you do RNG.
 Fenrir.Caiir
VIP
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Caiir 2016-07-11 01:17:25  
The other downside to ranger is just play corsair instead
[+]
First Page 2 3