サーバ: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-10-02 19:35:10  
In Surprise Result, Colombian Voters Reject Peace Deal
NPR

Quote:
War or peace?

Those stark options faced Colombians on Sunday — and, by a margin of less than 1 percentage point, Colombians voted to remain at war. In a referendum that aimed to end Latin America's longest guerrilla conflict, voters rejected a peace agreement that would have disarmed the Marxist rebel group known as the FARC. The conflict, which began in the 1960s, has killed more than 200,000 people.

The question on the ballot was: "Do you support the final accord to end the conflict and to construct a stable and lasting peace?" The answer was to be decided by a straight-up majority.

Had the "yes" vote triumphed, the FARC would have had six months to gather its 5,800 foot soldiers in special zones around Colombia, where they were to turn in their weapons to U.N. inspectors. The FARC had also pledged to get out of the cocaine smuggling business, help the army locate and destroy landmines, and to apologize to its victims. The FARC's long-term goal is to form a left-wing political party.

For its part, the government had pledged a peace dividend with the end of war, promising to invest huge sums in land reform and to build roads, schools and clinics in the impoverished rural areas that gave rise to the FARC back in the 1960s. It had also predicted a boom in foreign investment and tourism.

But now, it's not entirely clear where the negotiations will go from here — or if they even have a future. Colombian President Juan Manuel Santos, who spent nearly four years negotiating the peace deal with the FARC, claimed before the referendum to have no Plan B. President Santos has insinuated that a "no" vote would mean a return to war. A cease-fire that has been in place for the past year could dissolve while a U.N. team sent to monitor the peace accords would be sent home, said Humberto de la Calle, the government's chief negotiator.

The rejected referendum follows three failed efforts at peace talks with the FARC, dating back to the 1980s.

Many Colombians despise the FARC due to the rebel group's involvement in massacres, kidnappings and other human rights abuses. They are also angry over provisions in the accords that would allow rebels accused of war crimes to escape prison if they confess before a special tribunal. In addition, some feared the government intends to raise taxes to pay for its expensive post-conflict development plans.

But before ballots were cast, both government and FARC leaders had expressed confidence that the "yes" vote would triumph and were already moving forward with some of the provisions in the peace accords aimed at fomenting national reconciliation.

On Friday, FARC commanders traveled to the northern Colombian town of Apartadó where they apologized for a 1994 massacre in which the guerrillas killed 22 people whom they accused of belonging to a rival rebel faction.

"Everyone makes mistakes," FARC commander Iván Márquez told relatives of the victims. "But speaking the truth, pure and simple, can cure wounds of the soul, no matter how deep they are."

It is now unclear what will happen to the FARC rebels who were preparing to turn over their weapons to U.N. inspectors.
wow....
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-10-02 19:36:53  
What in the heck is a Clombia?
Administrator
サーバ: Exodus
Game: FFXIV
user: Rooks
By Putin On'the'ritz 2016-10-02 20:11:37  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »

The only place LG is winning electoral votes from in his presidential campaign.

(I fixed the title)
[+]
 Shiva.Viciousss
サーバ: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2016-10-02 20:16:05  
Probably didn't need a thread, its not like this changes anything for anyone, they have been fighting for 50 years. Maybe they will try again in another 50.
 Siren.Lordgrim
サーバ: Siren
user: Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-10-02 22:34:18  
Putin On'the'ritz said: »

The only place LG is winning electoral votes from in his presidential campaign.

(I fixed the title)

Bad news for you Rooks I'm getting my electoral votes from the US.
 Siren.Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-10-02 22:47:12  
My humble apologies to the citizens of Colombia. Our rogue establishment political party organizations have sewn chaos in South America with subterfuge and sabotage and sponsored covert coups overthrowing their nations governments to establish financial control through Central Banks.

Look at South America now devastation from inflation there economies in shambles thanks too Central banking.

I believe South America and Asia and Africa and Europe can see a new age of prosperity along with America together as we end the Age of international bankers controlling our nation's destiny. Together we can unfetter our resources to enhance the lives and living standards of our citizens. Not just for a better America but also for a better more peaceful world.
 Siren.Lordgrim
By Siren.Lordgrim 2016-10-02 22:53:17  
The issue which has swept down the centuries and which will have to be fought sooner or later is the people versus the banks.

Lord Acton said this

And no truer words have been spoken and heard and answered.
By fonewear 2016-10-04 10:20:24  

I'm sure but it involves coffee !
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2016-10-04 11:06:16  
fonewear said: »

I'm sure but it involves coffee cocaine !
[+]
By Ramyrez 2016-10-04 11:09:31  
All I know is that I drink Colombian coffee so as long as my coffee isn't *** with, they can keep killing each other if they really want to.

It seems stupid to me, but I've got bigger problems.

Namely, needing a refill of coffee.
 Sylph.Shadowlina
Forum Moderator
Lockstylin'
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Shadowlina 2016-10-04 12:00:59  
=_= i posted this in the main P*R thread and nobody noticed...
 Valefor.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Valefor
user: Seha
By Valefor.Sehachan 2016-10-04 12:07:22  
Actually you didn't notice the thread that was already made...
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2016-10-05 00:06:30  
Sylph.Shadowlina said: »
I beat you but no one noticed either.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2016-10-05 09:03:56  
Garuda.Chanti said: »
Sylph.Shadowlina said: »
I beat you but no one noticed cared either.
fixed.

Also, you all should know by now, if it doesn't involve Trump, the media doesn't give a ***. If the media doesn't give a ***, it's not headline news.
[+]
By Ackeron 2016-10-08 21:08:28  
Wth are you guys doing in here? Keep it on topic. Giant Douche has nothing to do with Colombia.