Best gun for rng
By hamany9 2017-01-31 11:20:45  
Is it Annihilator or Fomalhaut?
 Odin.Drakenv
サーバ: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2017-01-31 11:38:50  
Depends on situation I think. I still get asked to use my anni more then anything else.
 Asura.Avallon
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Avallon 2017-01-31 11:46:05  
It depends, and the answers vary. I know you asked about gun but I'm throwing in Bow as well just for the sake of conversation.

For Bow RNG's, Gandiva is probably best for WS like Jishnu's Radiance. AG Yoichi may be next in strength for that against Fail-Not, but I'm not 100% sure.

For Gun RNG's, it depends on the situation. For maximum enmity suppression for content such as Master Trials, Afterglow Annihilator is best (using either Eradicating of Chrono Bullets).

Fomalhaut is stronger it would seem for other WS like Land Stand, Coronach and so on.

Gastraphetes is best for True Flight only? Fomalhaut is second on True Flight I believe.

I haven't seen comparisons regarding Armageddon AG, Holliday etc.
 Odin.Bobingie
user: Bobingie
By Odin.Bobingie 2017-01-31 11:46:30  
The forums are loaded with this type of information. Just gotta take the time and read through it bruh.
[+]
By Verda 2017-01-31 11:48:50  
hamany9 said: »
Is it Annihilator or Fomalhaut?

https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Shit_is_situational

Arma beats both of them in perfect setups for raw dps.
Foma is best for Last Stand spam with light chains
Anni is best for high acc needs or times you need enmity control.

Also things that aren't guns exist:

Gandiva is best raw damage bow, it has higher physical damage than all but Arma, but is easier to realize it's potential due to Jishnu's activating AM3 and longer trueshot distance. Tradeoff is accuracy.
Gastra is best Trueflight weapon and decent at physical dps with am3 up.
Fail-Not is a solid bow for Jishnu's spam.
Yoichi is the highest acc weapon in the game for ranger and great for namas and jishnu's and has decent enmity control with namas.

RNG has one of the highest number of RMEA at 7, don't limit yourself by asking the wrong questions.
[+]
 Odin.Bobingie
user: Bobingie
By Odin.Bobingie 2017-01-31 11:51:51  
So pretty much what Verda is saying is don't be a basic b**** when it comes to RNG lol
[+]
By clearlyamule 2017-01-31 11:58:15  
I'd like to add while Coronach is usually going to be king of enmity the unique way magical ws enmity is calculated make Gastra trueflight spam not far behind (and maybe if buffed right slightly better dmg/enmity somewhat hard to say since the changes to ilvl dmg enmity was never completely explored). Of course wildfire would be even better for that but wildfire spam feels bad man
[+]
 Odin.Drakenv
user: Drakenv
By Odin.Drakenv 2017-01-31 12:13:38  
I have anni yoichi and arma AG hmmm after reading all this I'm really pondering making a gandiva hmm
[+]
 Leviathan.Celebrindal
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Celebrindal 2017-01-31 12:48:20  
As I've said before, RNG gets the most out of their RMEA options, so don't limit yourself to one. I would suggest covering your bases (having both a marksmanship and an archery option is great),but if you're truly pulled to guns, having the combo of an Annihilator for emnity battles and one of the others is great.

I am opting to add Gastra to my arsenal next. Trueflight is waaaay too much fun.
[+]
 Fenrir.Snaps
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Mojopojo
By Fenrir.Snaps 2017-01-31 13:21:45  
I don't feel our modeling of ranged attacks is accurate enough to create tiers or give reliable comparisons of RMEA, especially with lots of Snapshot/Velocity Shot/Rapid Shot added to the mix. We don't model UDP packet transmissions or human error in the spreadsheets. Both of these cut into the performance of lower delay weapons more than others. If you are asking about what weapon to build, I would recommend building two.

Annihilator
Fomalhaut or Gastraphetes

You will cover all of your bases with those.
[+]
By Afania 2017-01-31 14:25:27  
clearlyamule said: »
I'd like to add while Coronach is usually going to be king of enmity the unique way magical ws enmity is calculated make Gastra trueflight spam not far behind (and maybe if buffed right slightly better dmg/enmity somewhat hard to say since the changes to ilvl dmg enmity was never completely explored). Of course wildfire would be even better for that but wildfire spam feels bad man

You mean visually looks bad or mathematically bad? On my spreadsheet arma wildfire spam currently beats dp leaden spam due to extra dps from darkness sc. That's before allies roll, having allies roll only favors wf further. TF is even weaker than leaden due to lower ftp, that being said rng doesn't have access to strong mab bullet like cor so maybe they can't get as much out of wf as cor. Although rng does get a lot more out of arma AM than cor.
By clearlyamule 2017-01-31 15:10:00  
Afania said: »

You mean visually looks bad or mathematically bad? On my spreadsheet arma wildfire spam currently beats dp leaden spam due to extra dps from darkness sc. That's before allies roll, having allies roll only favors wf further. TF is even weaker than leaden due to lower ftp, that being said rng doesn't have access to strong mab bullet like cor so maybe they can't get as much out of wf as cor. Although rng does get a lot more out of arma AM than cor.
Mathematically though yes that changes a lot if you are taking advantage of skillchain on one and not the other... though not sure how the skillchain dmg would work with enmity but I'm willing to bet it uses the full dmg instead of a portion like the ws. At that point could always do whatever highest dmg ws/skillchain combo. ftps pretty close though and Weatherspoon is pretty big game so that helps (yes I know cor gets dark mab but those are smaller gains relative to other options in those slots) but yeah lack of mab ammo is pretty bleh. Should've put it on arma ammo.
 Fenrir.Snaps
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Mojopojo
By Fenrir.Snaps 2017-01-31 15:33:18  

I'm actually curious about Arma. 50 AGI is a lot and holds much more weight on higher level targets for WF and TF. Another thing to consider though (and it's already been pointed out in other threads) is that modeling capped attack while also having malaise is kinda silly and a lot of the conclusions people have made thus far are based on results in those conditions. How significant is Arma/Gastra AM3 when you're using Wildfire or TF?
By Verda 2017-01-31 17:33:06  
edit: Meh, not worth it.
[+]
By clearlyamule 2017-01-31 18:05:06  
Verda said: »
TF is even weaker than leaden due to lower ftp
I don't know if that's accurate, at one time they were listed with the exact same fTP, I think more accurate and recent testing was just done on TF. That said, even if it was different it is a very small difference and TP gain will make a much bigger effect on the final damage, and RNG is the one with 3 hit sets.
I believe they were listed the same back before the grand ws update of 2014 that also changed the lvl factor. I've tested and recently retested TF and it's numbers seem accurate as weird as those numbers are at least with low gear

I haven't redone LS testing but looks like Prothescar did the post update testing. Looking back on the data he provided he seemed to be having some difficulty and kind of rounded/assumed looks like he didn't realize they completely changed how the lvl factor works instead just assumed just added ilvl in there since I think that's all SE said they were doing.

Going by other numbers in there it looks like the lvl factor is 152 (based on Motes formula of non ilvl stuff so not 100% sure) for lvl 99 and using the data Prothescar provided and recalculating for that things come out closer with the 2k tp being ~.2 higher though 3k more exactly coming to the 10.0. But I'd try an ilvl gun to make sure. Alas it's one of the few ws I don't have access to
[+]