Random Bonus Fact after Credits:

Kaustra is named Melton for the JPs
[+]
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2017-02-20 07:17:11  
Yes. However, like Helix spells, it's Magic Burst was left unaffected by the Magic Burst Damage update a few years ago.
By hamany9 2017-02-20 17:26:43  
Bismarck.Snprphnx said: »
Yes. However, like Helix spells, it's Magic Burst was left unaffected by the Magic Burst Damage update a few years ago.

so you don't get bonus damage if you mb it? nor helix?
 Bismarck.Snprphnx
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Snprphnx
By Bismarck.Snprphnx 2017-02-20 17:55:08  
hamany9 said: »

You do. But a few years ago, to promote nuking again, they vastly increased the Magic Burst Damage. When they did, they intentionally left Helix spells and Kaustra out of the damage increase, for balance reasons.
By clearlyamule 2017-02-20 18:08:06  
hamany9 said: »

The normal bonus for mb and mbb gear/traits do work. However a couple of years ago there was an update to mb. They increased the regular multiplier that was based on how many steps the skillchain that was mb was. They also increased mb dmg on top of that for all spells but kaustra and helixes. Though the note says only for monsters that have " lower resistance to the element generated by the magic burst."

It's also the update that destroyed enmity generation on mb
 Caitsith.Mahayaya
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Trebold
By Caitsith.Mahayaya 2017-02-20 20:17:59  
Dunno if it's the mobs I use it on but every time I have ever used Kaustra it's been total ***damage. Like maybe 300 damage tops. I use the same set as Helix and get decent numbers on those though. Is it some different set altogether?
By clearlyamule 2017-02-20 20:44:33  
A lot of mobs have dark resistances
 Sylph.Traxus
サーバ: Sylph
user: traxusIV
By Sylph.Traxus 2017-02-20 20:54:55  
It's also dark magic instead of elemental, in-case you don't have that skilled up (or a rule is making you swap into the wrong set based on the magic type).
By Antisense 2017-02-22 14:40:48  
Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »
Dunno if it's the mobs I use it on but every time I have ever used Kaustra it's been total ***damage. Like maybe 300 damage tops. I use the same set as Helix and get decent numbers on those though. Is it some different set altogether?

You can push low 5 digits with MB Kaustra depending on the mob (taking into account elemental resistance and overall magic evasion, which is dependent on ilevel). For example Sajj'aka and August in Sinister Reign are weak to darkness, so if you feel like using Tabula Rasa to save time, Kaustra will make short work of those. In Escha it can help on a lot of NM even without inherent weakness to darkness, like Amymone, Palila, or even Shockmaw, to give a few examples where I've used it successfully.

It can also help on the February 2017 Vol. 2 Ambuscade (Sangome). Kaustra is not wiped when it summons the protector NMs at 75%/50%/25%.

Just keep in mind magic damage+ doesn't affect Kaustra in case you have occasion to use some of this month's Ambuscade armor set for helix damage.
 Shiva.Arislan
サーバ: Shiva
user: Arislan
By Shiva.Arislan 2017-02-22 18:00:43  
Caitsith.Mahayaya said: »

It's definitely geared differently than Helices and elemental magic.

Quote:
Kaustra base damage = floor(floor(0.067*Lvl)*(37+floor(0.67*dINT)))

So priority seems to be to stack as much INT as you can, and also load up enough MAcc so you can land the spell unresisted. Dark elemental affinity and MB-bonus are a given. Fill in with Dark Magic skill to extend duration:

ItemSet 349665

- Akademos Path A,
- Amalric Path C,
- Merlinic INT+15, Macc +40, and +9% MB between legs/feet,
- Lugh's Cape INT+30, Macc +20,
- Mujin vs Shiva +1 depends on target.

Antisense said: »
Just keep in mind magic damage+ doesn't affect Kaustra in case you have occasion to use some of this month's Ambuscade armor set for helix damage.

Mallquis +1 legs are actually a pretty good Kaustra piece if you're lacking INT on Merlinic legs.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [297 days between previous and next post]
 Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Xilk
By Quetzalcoatl.Xilkk 2017-12-16 17:51:47  
Whats a good Kaustra set?

just to be clear, MAB and Magic Damage do nothing for it?
but Macc and Magic burst + are good?
 Fenrir.Kaldaek
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Kaldaek 2017-12-16 18:49:11  
Int,darkness elemental items, and mab all play a role here.