Random Politics & Religion #28: The Last One

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Politics and Religion » Random Politics & Religion #28: The Last One
Random Politics & Religion #28: The Last One
First Page 2 3 ... 68 69 70 ... 98 99 100
By Viciouss 2017-10-19 20:59:16  
Shiva.Shruiken said: »
RIP Vic. RIP whoever faces Kershaw in the WS.

lol, yeah, I didn't think we would win this series after going down 3-0. I'm just glad we won the game I went to. Which was *** amazing.
[+]
By Nausi 2017-10-19 22:18:08  
Cerberus.Pleebo said: »
I don't think it's unreasonable to want that but I do think it's unrealistic to expect an environment completely devoid of other's opinions. You like to make fun of safe spaces but ironically that's exactly what you're asking for. It's hard to understand the level of outrage and animosity directed towards the protesters given how low-key the actual method of protesting is (at least pre-Trump pot stirring). Ffs, it's kneeling.
How ignorant you really are, from what I can only imagine is years of public education. This is the ultimate in false equivalence.

When I goto a football game, I pay for the experience that is suppose to be devoid of politics. That's the deal.

When you goto a university or a public rally, you goto a pubilc forum or a place of higher learning and exposure to ideas. That's the deal.

Therefore when I complain about leftist politics in my football game, I'm a customer that's not getting what he paid for. This is like going to see a marvel movie and having the theater run Michael Moore's latest excuse for a documentary instead of what you paid to see.

When you complain in a public forum (college campus, political rally), you're literally attacking the concept of freedom of thought and speech (frequently with violence).

You're right in one sense. We both don't like different thing, but there is no moral equivalence between an unsatisfied paying customer and a melting liberal snowflake. Your outrage is not equal to mine. It is different.

Go play your victim card somewhere else.
[+]
By Nausi 2017-10-19 22:21:43  
Phoenix.Xantavia said: »
Nausi said: »
Not agreeing with your summary but how is that a problem? For you? For the president?
Because as a consumer of football, we dont want to watch it with injected with left wing political activism
So is it time to stop playing the anthem period, along with stop paying the military to be present? I mean, you said you don't want politics in your sports.

The anthem is only political if you think the concept of patriotism is a political issue. That of course reinforces any suspicions that leftists hate the country (of course they do).
[+]
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-10-19 22:26:32  
Bahamut.Ravael said: »
It was a general statement, but if we're going with the football theme, what we have are people who are fad reactionaries who can't seem to agree on what they're protesting in the first place. Due to the fact that there's ambiguity in their message, it just comes off like they're disrespecting the flag. They're succeeding in drawing momentary attention to themselves and subsequently killing their own sport's ratings as a result, while simultaneously accomplishing nothing of value.
What? There's only ambiguity in the message if you insist on being disingenuous and equating the protest to slighting America or the troops or whatever the *** narrative Trump popularized. The protest is about police brutality. Even Nausi managed to ballpark this in his own backwards-*** way.

Sure, that's what the message was originally... in theory. But nobody did a good job of maintaining that as the core reason behind the subsequent protests, partially because it was an ineffective delivery in the first place.

Go ahead, ask around. Maybe venture outside of the SJW inner circle and talk to normal people. See how many even have a clue what the protests were about. As a bonus, good luck convincing anyone that they had any affect on police brutality, aside from the unintended side effect of needing less security at football stadiums that struggle to get filled.
[+]
By Nausi 2017-10-19 22:26:33  
It was a general statement, but if we're going with the football theme, what we have are people who are fad reactionaries who can't seem to agree on what they're protesting in the first place. Due to the fact that there's ambiguity in their message, it just comes off like they're disrespecting the flag. They're succeeding in drawing momentary attention to themselves and subsequently killing their own sport's ratings as a result, while simultaneously accomplishing nothing of value.
What? There's only ambiguity in the message if you insist on being disingenuous and equating the protest to slighting America or the troops or whatever the *** narrative Trump popularized. The protest is about police brutality. Even Nausi managed to ballpark this in his own backwards-*** way.
Disrespecting the flag to take a stand against police brutality is still disrespecting the flag.

Tell me pleebo, if I burned the rainbow flag to protest police brutality, you'd be cool with it right?
By Viciouss 2017-10-19 22:27:45  
Full of ***nausi, as usual. But hey, great football game on tonight.
[+]
By fonewear 2017-10-19 22:29:18  
Cubs lose Cubs lose !
[+]
By Viciouss 2017-10-19 22:36:22  
The only stadiums that "struggle" to fill their stadiums are the really bad ones, and even they have over 85% capacity. NFL doesn't have attendance issues. Their ratings have dipped a bit, and there are at least 3 factors that are way more relevant than the anthem protests. Starting with CTE and ending somewhere around domestic violence. Here in the real world we have people dying violently because they played football, and as a result we have youth participation plummeting. But hey, they are taking a knee, so bad.
By Nausi 2017-10-19 23:27:25  
Viciouss said: »
The only stadiums that "struggle" to fill their stadiums are the really bad ones, and even they have over 85% capacity. NFL doesn't have attendance issues. Their ratings have dipped a bit, and there are at least 3 factors that are way more relevant than the anthem protests. Starting with CTE and ending somewhere around domestic violence. Here in the real world we have people dying violently because they played football, and as a result we have youth participation plummeting. But hey, they are taking a knee, so bad.
<deep in the bubble>
[+]
By Viciouss 2017-10-19 23:39:53  
Go to bed nausi. You've got nothing.
 Bahamut.Ravael
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Ravael
By Bahamut.Ravael 2017-10-19 23:40:22  
Viciouss said: »
The only stadiums that "struggle" to fill their stadiums are the really bad ones, and even they have over 85% capacity.

Except those are based on tickets sold, not tickets used, and seeing as how many stadiums have the capacity to fill well over 100% due to their goofy measurement system, the statistics can be quite misleading. There's a reason the NFL is concerned over the optics of sparsely populated stadiums, and it sure isn't because there are butts in 85% of seats.
[+]
By Zerowone 2017-10-20 00:05:03  
fonewear said: »
Cubs lose Cubs lose !

The prospect of facing the Yankees is kind of scary. Their October luck is no joke. Every team they’ve faced was supposed to roll them and have been at the point of putting them away... but they’ve come back from the dead each series.

However how about we all take a knee for that meltdown by the Kansas City Chiefs defense in the last :30s of tonight’s game.
[+]
By Eboneezer 2017-10-20 00:38:41  
Maybe they should be more inclusive in the announcement from now on? "In honor of our service men and women, ladies and gentlemen...and sons of ***, please rise for your national anthem."
[+]
 Cerberus.Pleebo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Pleebo
By Cerberus.Pleebo 2017-10-20 05:15:18  
But nobody did a good job of maintaining that as the core reason behind the subsequent protests, partially because it was an ineffective delivery in the first place.
Who has maintained that the protests aren't about police brutality? You, or I, weren't talking about perception rather the actual protesters. Who is the "nobody" here?

You think I'm not venturing outside my presumed SJW circle (I don't have one?) yet I'm actually asking you, and others since they can interject, their honest opinions. Nausi's made literally no sense (so... lol I guess?). But no, I'd definitely disagree that the original message was muddled. It's never not been about any other than what it was. Whether or not it had an effect is beyond the point. It's a symbolic protest. It's not meant to directly stimulate change like, I dunno, a march on DC would be motivated to do. Which is why I'm still befuddled why this has provoked so much animosity, especially the directed ire of the *** president of the US.
Tell me pleebo, if I burned the rainbow flag to protest police brutality, you'd be cool with it right?
Go nuts, dude. It's a *** flag. There's been many an action against actual LGBT people so a piece of disposable material is the least of anyone's worries.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-20 05:39:28  
The protest is about police brutality.
The issue doesn't even exist. It's like protesting against speeding tickets.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-20 05:44:28  
Besides, it's about police brutality against black people.

Never mind that you are more likely to get shot if you are a white person (outside of Chicago) by the police than you are as a black person. But why need facts when you can protest against the nation's flag just because protest against cops by disrespecting the nation.
[+]
 Shiva.Shruiken
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Shruiken 2017-10-20 05:49:02  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Congratulations on affirming the reason Colin Kaepernick started the protests.
 Phoenix.Amandarius
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Amandarius 2017-10-20 06:05:51  
The NFL protests are now "Wahhhhhhh we hate Donald Trump."
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-20 06:18:38  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »

Congratulations on affirming the reason Colin Kaepernick started the protests.
Ok

But why isn't Kaepernick really protesting a major cause of black deaths? I thought Black Lives Matter?

Seriously, it's like protesting against all bakeries in America because the first one you went in wouldn't sell you the wedding cake they already sold to another couple, and you happened to be gay and shopping for your wedding cake for your gay wedding. Somehow, all bakeries in the US are now homophobic and you must sue them all to sell you the wedding cake that was already paid for by another couple.
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2017-10-20 06:20:59  
Oh, I forgot to state the following:

Data is bad unless it can be skewed to show whatever social justice statistic you want it to show. Like climate science, data that pertains only to certain things should show 93% of all police shootings were unarmed black victims who did nothing wrong or justified to have been shot in the first place. Then, and only then, is the "data" right according to certain people here.
[+]
By Eboneezer 2017-10-20 06:28:11  
Is the protest about police brutality though? Kaepernick started it off with his perception of the oppression of black people and people of color. He then threw in a statement or two about police brutality before going back to his main claim of oppression. He said he never went public with any statements and chose to just sit because he needed to understand it better or something like that.
His protest seemed to be dying off though. There are also numerous players, the latest being Michael Bennett who happens to have been caught exaggerating his latest police brutality claim, that are kneeling/sitting until Kapernick gets a job in the NFL. And then there are the players that are kneeling until Trump apologizes for calling them sons of ***.

You can certainly agree to disagree with them, but the ire you ask about comes from viewers' perception of it being disrespectful to the men and women that fight/fought for this country, and for the country itself. When they ask you to please rise to honor the men and women over seas and for America, and then you kneel/sit...I don't find it so hard to believe that many people consider that a slap in the face of those very people and country. I certainly don't get the idea of "Oh they love the military and country, but they're protesting oppression, police brutality, employment status of one person, or wanting an apology, or whatever else they might be protesting these days." They just look like a bunch of ***. Then there are many people that just want to keep politics out of entertainment. The protest doesn't fit the cause, imo.

These players have everything they need to make a difference in a lot of areas. They have the money, they have the fame, they have the networking, they have a lot of free time...but most choose to only act when asked to respect the military and country.
[+]
By Zerowone 2017-10-20 07:05:03  
Eboneezer said: »
When they ask you to please rise to honor the men and women over seas and for America, and then you kneel/sit...I

This in of itself is a separate issue, due to the Department of Defense paying the league to say those words. That’s basically propaganda. Originally before 2009 it was “Please rise for the National Anthem”.

However when people say it’s disrespectful to flag, it’s confusing since none of them are touching or violating said flag.

When people say “spoiled black man/men”, it’s rather ignorant and hateful and I’m referring to the “spoiled” portion. Most of these men were not born with silver spoons in their mouth. They worked hard to be part of the extremely small percentage of the population that are well paid athletes. It’s commendable that they attempt to speak up for those who aren’t as fortunate in life as them.

Sure we can argue oh but it’s not about that because of Donald Trump calling them sons of *** at a campaign rally in Alabama. Yeah the current situation is in response to that. Yet, Trump was commenting on the men who were kneeling to bring attention to the topic of police brutality. The real issue there is our President interjected themself in order to pander to the emotions of his base. We should all be asking why the hell is he even holding campaign rallies in the first year of office, instead of doing the job of being president.
By fonewear 2017-10-20 07:12:20  
Maybe they should be more inclusive in the announcement from now on? "In honor of our service men and women, ladies and gentlemen...and sons of ***, please rise for your national anthem."

I could get behind this that pretty much covers everyone.
By fonewear 2017-10-20 07:14:24  
Is the protest about police brutality though? Kaepernick started it off with his perception of the oppression of black people and people of color. He then threw in a statement or two about police brutality before going back to his main claim of oppression. He said he never went public with any statements and chose to just sit because he needed to understand it better or something like that.
His protest seemed to be dying off though. There are also numerous players, the latest being Michael Bennett who happens to have been caught exaggerating his latest police brutality claim, that are kneeling/sitting until Kapernick gets a job in the NFL. And then there are the players that are kneeling until Trump apologizes for calling them sons of ***.

You can certainly agree to disagree with them, but the ire you ask about comes from viewers' perception of it being disrespectful to the men and women that fight/fought for this country, and for the country itself. When they ask you to please rise to honor the men and women over seas and for America, and then you kneel/sit...I don't find it so hard to believe that many people consider that a slap in the face of those very people and country. I certainly don't get the idea of "Oh they love the military and country, but they're protesting oppression, police brutality, employment status of one person, or wanting an apology, or whatever else they might be protesting these days." They just look like a bunch of ***. Then there are many people that just want to keep politics out of entertainment. The protest doesn't fit the cause, imo.

These players have everything they need to make a difference in a lot of areas. They have the money, they have the fame, they have the networking, they have a lot of free time...but most choose to only act when asked to respect the military and country.

What is really interesting to me he will be remembered for kneeling more than playing quarterback.
[+]
By Nausi 2017-10-20 07:15:16  
How is calling him a spoiled black man “hateful”? Clue me in on that one please.

They are spoiled in that many of them have violent criminal offenses and yet they get paid millions a year. Media pundits and sports reporters portray them as 40 million dollar slaves in an attempt to keep them characterized as the “victim” in the never ending and pathetic projection of the liberal we hate america bubble.

They arent the victims, they are the villians.
[+]
By Nausi 2017-10-20 07:22:05  
Go nuts, dude. It's a *** flag. There's been many an action against actual LGBT people so a piece of disposable material is the least of anyone's worries.
You mean the rush of "fake" hate crimes? Or the oppression of daring to think people with gender identity disorder might not make great soldiers?
[+]
 Shiva.Shruiken
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Shruiken 2017-10-20 07:23:47  
Happy Friday!

This thread isn't locked yet?
[+]
By fonewear 2017-10-20 07:25:10  
Happy Friday!

This thread isn't locked yet?

I'm sure if we really applied ourselves we could get the thread locked in about 30 mins.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2017-10-20 07:41:26  
Phoenix.Xantavia said: »
Not agreeing with your summary but how is that a problem? For you? For the president?
Because as a consumer of football, we dont want to watch it with injected with left wing political activism
So is it time to stop playing the anthem period, along with stop paying the military to be present? I mean, you said you don't want politics in your sports.

Yes please. Jesus I hate listening to whatever high schooler won a regional talent competition warbling to draw out the anthem for her 15 minutes of fame.

It's not even a good song.

I respect what it stands for so I stand and sing along, but I've never really been a fan of the "peer pressure patriotism" we push in this country.
[+]
By Ramyrez 2017-10-20 07:43:26  
Therefore when I complain about leftist politics in my football game, I'm a customer that's not getting what he paid for. This is like going to see a marvel movie and having the theater run Michael Moore's latest excuse for a documentary instead of what you paid to see.

No it isn't. It's 3 minutes before the game starts.

It's like if they run the trailer for Michael Moore's latest movie, and you're free to flit through your phone or just tune it out. They're going to show trailers no matter what.

Just like I normally pay 0% attention to the anthem when it's on TV unless the singer is terrible anyhow.

Do you stand in your living room with your hand on your heart while it plays?
First Page 2 3 ... 68 69 70 ... 98 99 100