users online
フォーラム » Windower » Support » Win10 Fall update
Win10 Fall update
 Asura.Saevel
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
By Asura.Saevel 2017-10-19 14:00:25  
Shiva.Malthar said: »
I noticed they are putting ads in Skype too.

It's on the desktop, the launch menu, in skype and pretty much every other surface they control. Microsoft is treating your desktop like a giant billboard.

This is what their goal is for your desktop

[+]
By Jetackuu 2017-10-19 14:06:21  
I noticed they are putting ads in Skype too.

Yeah, they've been doing that, you can disable it easy enough.
By Zerowone 2017-10-19 14:09:55  
Maybe it’s a conflict with the bloat ware? Could just remove them.

But more than like you probably just need to set Win4, PoL and FFXI compatibility to Win7; if you haven’t already etc.
 Shiva.Malthar
サーバ: Shiva
user: Malthar
By Shiva.Malthar 2017-10-19 16:23:25  
Incidently, the fall update includes anti-cheating software.
By zaxtiss 2017-10-19 16:32:06  
is there a way to turn it off?
 Shiva.Malthar
By Shiva.Malthar 2017-10-19 17:37:18  
I'm not installing it to find out. lol
 Cerberus.Mrkillface
サーバ: Cerberus
user: bitchtits
By Cerberus.Mrkillface 2017-10-19 18:07:25  
Zerowone said: »
Maybe it’s a conflict with the bloat ware? Could just remove them.

But more than like you probably just need to set Win4, PoL and FFXI compatibility to Win7; if you haven’t already etc.

That didn't work for me. Other's might have some luck with it though.
 Sylph.Atigevomega
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Atigevomega 2017-10-19 18:12:23  
I am actually noticing they keep putting skype back on when I remove it... that ***is getting annoying. Shockingly though, besides windower and Skype, the update helped me more than hindered. I rarely open the start button so ads don't affect me, but I see where ya'll are coming from with that ***.....
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
サーバ: Valefor
By Valefor.Prothescar 2017-10-19 19:12:23  

Turn this off to disable start menu ads. Can also turn off the TruePlay anticheat thing via Gaming settings, however it only affects UWP protected games thus I doubt anyone on this forum is affected by it. Can turn off notification ads for things like Microsoft Office by disabling their notifications under "Get notifications from these senders".

Can also perform registry tweaks and run SpyBot's antibeacon software to disable telemetry and other stuff but just going in to settings and turning things off will work for a majority of people. I only do the registry tweaks and telemetry disabling on my work PC where I'm handling sensitive files.
By Zerowone 2017-10-19 19:14:08  
Couldn’t we just run a Power Shell script to remove all the unwanted apps?
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2017-10-19 19:15:58  
You'd also need to include registry edits to turn off the Windows Store's ability to reinstall them, in some cases. I've never had it happen but some people report that the Windows Store will install things like Skype, Candy Crush, and Minecraft without ever even saying that it did. Personally haven't had it happen but it can be turned off through registry like I said. Might also be able to block the Windows Store via firewall.
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-10-19 21:24:29  
Valefor.Prothescar said: »

Turn this off to disable start menu ads. Can also turn off the TruePlay anticheat thing via Gaming settings, however it only affects UWP protected games thus I doubt anyone on this forum is affected by it. Can turn off notification ads for things like Microsoft Office by disabling their notifications under "Get notifications from these senders".

Can also perform registry tweaks and run SpyBot's antibeacon software to disable telemetry and other stuff but just going in to settings and turning things off will work for a majority of people. I only do the registry tweaks and telemetry disabling on my work PC where I'm handling sensitive files.

Microsoft likes to turn them all back on whenever they push an update, drove me bonkers so I eventually just removed my Windows 10 VM. People shouldn't have to actively fight their Operating System.

The thing is, under the hood it's a good OS. The core stuff is great, better memory management and a whole bunch of other things. It's the UI and how they treat the user that is the issue.
 Sylph.Atigevomega
By Sylph.Atigevomega 2017-10-19 21:31:24  
Asura.Saevel said: »

Microsoft likes to turn them all back on whenever they push an update, drove me bonkers so I eventually just removed my Windows 10 VM. People shouldn't have to actively fight their Operating System.

The thing is, under the hood it's a good OS. The core stuff is great, better memory management and a whole bunch of other things. It's the UI and how they treat the user that is the issue.
Damn dude hit the nail on the head with that post, this is so accurate. I never did notice ads much though, idk why, I know i barely use the actual start menu maybe thats why, and i turn off all notification (that stuff annoys me). Anyways, any word on where the issue lies yet? Or projected fix? Buddy says his windower on Win 7 is working now, i got hopeful but nope, could always use ashita just dread the transition.
 Bismarck.Phaded
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Phaded
By Bismarck.Phaded 2017-10-19 23:06:42  
Asura.Saevel said: »

I'm surprised Win 10 LTSB isn't a thing on these forums. It's Win 10 Ent without Cortana, Edge, Store/Metro Apps, the forced 'feature' updates, etc. (Which is what everyone disables anyway with powerscripts.) The only updates LTSB will ever get are security patches, and you won't have to run a bunch of script/tools to disable crap after every update.

Quote:
Long-term servicing branch (LTSB)
This branch is exclusively available for Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB edition and distributed snapshots of this edition that are updated every 2-3 years. LTSB builds adhere to Microsoft's traditional support policy which was in effect before Windows 10: They are not updated with new features, and are supported with critical updates for 10 years after their release. Microsoft officially discourages the use of LTSB outside of "special-purpose devices" that perform a fixed function and thus do not require new user experience features. As a result, it excludes Windows Store, most Cortana functionality, and most bundled apps (including Microsoft Edge).

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
By geigei 2017-10-20 01:31:11  
Is there a reason people go 10? or not revert to 8.1?
 Bismarck.Phaded
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Phaded
By Bismarck.Phaded 2017-10-20 01:47:54  
While its not it's not a major deciding factor in games now... right off the top of my head DX12+ support. (Yes, Vulcan I know.)
 Sylph.Atigevomega
By Sylph.Atigevomega 2017-10-20 06:56:50  
This PC came with 8.1 when I got it and even DX11 had issues on 8.1. I also hated the feel of 8.1 and there are times where I miss 7, but 10 is pretty solid minus a few things already listed.
 Valefor.Prothescar
Guide Master
By Valefor.Prothescar 2017-10-20 07:00:48  
Sylph.Atigevomega said: »
This PC came with 8.1 when I got it and even DX11 had issues on 8.1. I also hated the feel of 8.1 and there are times where I miss 7, but 10 is pretty solid minus a few things already listed.

^ more than willing to deal with the few annoyances in exchange for a stable OS. Also admittedly a fan of the aesthetics.
[+]
 Asura.Saevel
By Asura.Saevel 2017-10-20 07:41:56  
Bismarck.Phaded said: »
I'm surprised Win 10 LTSB isn't a thing on these forums. It's Win 10 Ent without Cortana, Edge, Store/Metro Apps, the forced 'feature' updates, etc. (Which is what everyone disables anyway with powerscripts.) The only updates LTSB will ever get are security patches, and you won't have to run a bunch of script/tools to disable crap after every update.

Because LTSB isn't available to consumers nor for individual purchase. In order to buy LTSB you need to purchase an Enterprise VLK, it's a version designed for large scale implementation where your running your own WSUS / SCCM and other enterprise management tools.

^ more than willing to deal with the few annoyances in exchange for a stable OS. Also admittedly a fan of the aesthetics.

This is why I'm still on Windows 7 Ultimate x64 for all my box's. Rock solid, universally compatible and I still have full control over the system, plus I really don't like the UI though there are third party tools to remedy that. I figure eventually MS will realize this tactic is a failure and a future release will be a bit less aggressive, then I'll make the switch.

It's not even a money thing, I can get all the MS products free and still don't want to dead with the hassle of micromanaging all the clients in my home.
By Jetackuu 2017-10-20 10:22:21  
I personally prefer the look of 7 myself, I'd say my biggest gripe of 10 is the lack of choices on things, not so much the change of defaults overall, but the outright lack of choice.

Looking at you Aero and boxy windows.
 Sylph.Atigevomega
By Sylph.Atigevomega 2017-10-20 10:49:56  
The reason I am on win10, is bc I had 8.1 and hated it, this was free for me and with my health issues as they are (just had surgery last thursday for 1 of them) I cant afford something else, its free and so far has over all been good. I enjoy it, i like the feel, but then little things irk me.... like this windower thing, or logitech gaming software issues, but then again i couldnt even play XIV in dx11 on 8.1 soooo idk.
 Sylph.Atigevomega
By Sylph.Atigevomega 2017-10-20 16:07:39  
So as odd as this is about to sound... restoring to a previous build... did NOT fix the issue for me... kinda confused atm honestly since it worked the night before the windows update hit....
By Jetackuu 2017-10-20 16:12:08  
Sylph.Atigevomega said: »
restoring to a previous build

Of course not, do a system restore.
 Sylph.Atigevomega
By Sylph.Atigevomega 2017-10-20 16:20:38  
that will end up happening... but not tonight.
By Jetackuu 2017-10-20 18:28:28  
That being said, it very well may not work. Unfortunately at this point you may need to reinstall entirely to a previous build.

Normally "system restore" reverts all files back to the way it was to that point, but with a version increase like that 10 update did, it probably won't even work. I mean it's worth a shot I guess, just make sure you have anything you may need backed up before you do it, just in case.
 Shiva.Malthar
By Shiva.Malthar 2017-10-20 18:33:55  
Anyone who installed the fall creators update and have Windower still work?
By afheal 2017-10-20 19:16:46  
Anyone who installed the fall creators update and have Windower still work?

It's funny how ashita works without issues, but windower is down. My only gripe with ashita is I don't have the time to convert my lua files to xml. I guess I will just hold off on playing until windower is up and running.
By crimsondragon 2017-10-21 00:34:40  
Ashita is always up when Windower is down. Windower is still better though. lol
[+]
 Cerberus.Mrkillface
サーバ: Cerberus
user: bitchtits
By Cerberus.Mrkillface 2017-10-21 00:49:51  
Windows 10 actually has a feature that allows you to roll back updates to the previous build. I recommend people try that first. It worked for me, but it only allows you to stay on the previous build for 35 days, so apparently that's how long I have before I have to find another work around.

I have a ton of disks, computers and a windows intune account, so I guess I can spin up a windows 7 installation just for FFXI if all else fails.

Most people don't have that option though, so I really hope this gets fixed before everyone has to migrate their stuff to vanilla or ashita... or just plain quits.