Survey Comparing Income With Games Of Chance

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Chatterbox » Survey comparing income with games of chance
Survey comparing income with games of chance
 Bahamut.Ayasha
サーバ: Bahamut
Game: FFXI
user: Ayasha
By Bahamut.Ayasha 2017-10-18 02:52:42  
Greetings! As the thread title suggests, I am conducting a survey that will (hopefully) show some correlation between household income and debt with frequency of playing games of chance (gambling, if you will). This data is being collected for a statistics class I am currently taking. Although this survey is not exactly scientific, the questions asked will be enough for the purpose of my project, and should be sufficient enough to show some correlation, broadly speaking.

The reason I chose the questions in the survey is actually a personal matter, as I've had issues with gambling in my family and, to a lesser degree, personally. Although this is an academic endeavor, curiosity is not absent.

Some notes.
1) This survey is conducted with US respondents as the target demographic, however I do accept and welcome non-US respondents.
2) The website I chose to host my survey (SurveyMonkey.com) may collect anonymous data (difficult to decipher legalese in the privacy statement), but there is no apparent way to avoid this without going around with a hat and survey fliers to collect this data.
3) All data collected is anonymous; no IP addresses, personally identifiable information, or location details are collected, nor does it require any input other than what is written on the survey.
4) Data submitted is encrypted.
5) Data collected will be analyzed and used in a project for my statistics class.

I understand that the survey asks questions that some may be uncomfortable answering (e.g. household income). If you do not feel comfortable answering any question in the survey, then please do not attempt to take it as I require all data points for the results to be useful.

With that out of the way, I only require 40 respondents, but the more the merrier for my project. Admin: If this is not allowed, I apologize in advance, and understand completely if this is deleted. I looked through the rules and found nothing explicitly against this. If all goes well, and people are interested, I will post my results once I've combed through and made sense of the data.

Here is the link to my survey:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/B5QSVX3

Thank you very much for your time if you choose to respond.
[+]
 Asura.Inuyushi
サーバ: Asura
user: Inuyushi
By Asura.Inuyushi 2017-10-18 08:51:14  
Took the survey, good luck in your statistics class!
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-10-18 08:59:56  
does synthesis count
[+]
By Jetackuu 2017-10-18 09:14:02  
Damnit Aya!

edit: Also done.

(Glad it didn't ask how much I spent on FFRK).
 Bahamut.Negan
user: Negan
By Bahamut.Negan 2017-10-18 10:21:40  
Leviathan.Comeatmebro said: »
does synthesis count
It should!

GL Aya :D
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
user: Akumasama
By Asura.Sechs 2017-10-18 11:55:51  
Bahamut.Ayasha said: »
Thank you very much for your time if you choose to respond.
Are you looking specifically for US-only data or are you interested in european stuff too?
 Asura.Warusha
user: Serithus
By Asura.Warusha 2017-10-18 11:57:15  
Bahamut.Ayasha said: »
however I do accept and welcome non-US respondents.
[+]
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-10-18 12:15:01  
Thanks, missed that!
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-10-18 12:17:25  
Wow I was done so fast, guess I answered something "wrong" lol
Regardless, good luck with your research!

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
user: Souljaboy
By Asura.Mrbrightsighed 2017-10-18 12:55:26  
Honestly I feel like video games made me way more likely to gamble. If I haven't gotten a Visage off of 20k Steel/black dragons in OSRS then me winning the lottery is inevitable right?

Also the part I don't really agree with the survey is the household debt, Idk any college graduate that has less than 20k college debt coming out, I have no personal debt other than my student loans. If the intent was to show that 'debt' was a factor. And student loans are all 4% or less so I don't see a point in paying them off early. Its just that I could see a correlation between high credit card debt etc but not student loans and gambling

just my 2 cents :)
 Bahamut.Ayasha
By Bahamut.Ayasha 2017-10-18 15:31:41  
@Mrbrightsighed: You make a very good point. There is definitely some "Lessons learned" for the survey questions that I added, and the debt section was one of them. I suppose that particular question is more of a result of my paying my own way through college; I really have no idea what average student debt is, and I should have omitted it entirely. Thank you for the advice. Also, there were only 6 questions, and 'not gambling' is still valuable data. I'm just looking to see IF there is a correlation, not WHAT the correlation is.

Thank you all for your time. This is way more productive than I could have hoped for as you've already exceeded my minimum requirements by a considerable margin. I will be closing the survey at around 5pm PDT.
By zaxtiss 2017-10-18 15:35:24  
Asura.Mrbrightsighed said: »
Honestly I feel like video games made me way more likely to gamble. If I haven't gotten a Visage off of 20k Steel/black dragons in OSRS then me winning the lottery is inevitable right?

Also the part I don't really agree with the survey is the household debt, Idk any college graduate that has less than 20k college debt coming out, I have no personal debt other than my student loans. If the intent was to show that 'debt' was a factor. And student loans are all 4% or less so I don't see a point in paying them off early. Its just that I could see a correlation between high credit card debt etc but not student loans and gambling

just my 2 cents :)
OMG!! some talking about runescape haha and i knew exectly what he was talking about... ;p

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Firedemon
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Firedemon
By Bismarck.Firedemon 2017-10-18 15:54:30  
Northwestern Ontario, Canada, and completed as well.
 Bahamut.Ayasha
By Bahamut.Ayasha 2017-10-18 16:22:20  
That video was interesting, but doesn't really say anything that isn't already easy to find if you know where to look. I would have liked him to go in to more detail of expected value and other discrete empirical facts rather than the socio-economics, but I do see the value of such. Thank you very much.
 Asura.Sechs
By Asura.Sechs 2017-10-18 18:11:39  
I've always envyed the student debt thing some foreign countries have, but reading your comments in this thread makes me wonder if people wouldn't actually be better off without that thing to begin with :x
 Asura.Toralin
user: toralin
By Asura.Toralin 2017-10-18 18:15:23  
I filled this out but if my results come back on this forum about me ducking up COR rolls constantly I’m going to be pissed
[+]
 Bahamut.Ayasha
By Bahamut.Ayasha 2017-10-18 19:05:00  
Survey is closed. Thank you all for your time. 81 respondents out of 40 required for my project. This is more than enough data for me to do what I need to do. I will post my results once I'm finished analyzing the data. As it stands, it doesn't appear that there is ANY correlation with just a cursory glance, but I will see what the end results say.

Again, thank you very much. This went much better than expected.
[+]
 Leviathan.Comeatmebro
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Rairin
By Leviathan.Comeatmebro 2017-10-18 19:35:59  
keep in mind your thread responses make it pretty clear only idiots play the lottery

that creates a mental benefit to filling out the survey and saying you don't play the lottery(you get to feel superior), and a disincentive to pay any further attention to the thread or follow through to the survey if you do play the lottery.. that means response bias without anywhere near enough samples to offset it

(i'm sure you probably already knew that and it's just for the sake of a class, but throwing it out there anyway)
 Bahamut.Ayasha
By Bahamut.Ayasha 2017-10-18 20:21:44  
You aren't incorrect. I am well aware of flaws in the data collection method. It's a fundamental limitation of a convenience survey. That aside, this is more than sufficient data for the purpose I made the survey for.