日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » FFXIAH.com » Bugs » median price not one
median price not one
 Odin.Surazal
サーバ: Odin
Game: FFXI
By Odin.Surazal 2008-09-30 05:31:21  
Maybe I just don't understand how its obtained, but it has always bothered me that the median prices listed for just about every item are wrong.

A median, as defined by wikipedia is: "...the number separating the higher half of a sample, a population, or a probability distribution, from the lower half."

This would lead me to conclude that the number equal distance between the highest recorded sale and the lowest recorded sale in the 25 listed sale histories of each item would be the 'median' price.

This is often never the case.

Take the neckchopper, on Odin. Highest sell in history: 48,000. The lowest sell: 39,000. A derived median would be 43,500, not the 40,300 price that's listed.

I would think the algorithm for finding a median would be simple to write, maybe I'm wrong (I'm no programmer). Anyway, I have just always found this annoying and very 'buggy' so I thought I'd bring it up.
 Odin.Ashokan
サーバ: Odin
user: Ashokan
By Odin.Ashokan 2008-09-30 06:18:31  
I think you are misunderstanding the meaning of median. It's the number in the middle of a distribution of numbers.

For example, if the numbers were:
13, 15, 22, 25, 27, 31, 99

The median is 25, because it's the number in the middle of the group. 25 gives a more accurate representation of normal numbers, since the average is 33.

It is probably not perfect but it protects incorrect numbers when a person accidentally buys a Yagudo Drink for 30k or RMTs skew prices.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2008-09-30 12:28:27  
The median price is not taken from the last 25 transactions. It is taken from the last X number of days.

In addition, to avoid completely crushing the database every time someone loads an item page, the median is only computed once per day ahead of time, and therefore does not reflect any sales made between the last calculation pulse and now.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [65 days between previous and next post]
 Titan.Palesade
サーバ: Titan
user: pale
By Titan.Palesade 2008-12-04 16:00:09  
Bumping this because I think something is definitely broke with it. Median seems to always be the second most recent sale in my tests. I made a thread here....

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/?topic_id=917&lp=1#5427
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2008-12-04 18:09:29  
Yup, appeared to be bugged on the individual item pages but not on the rest of the site computations. Scragg says he's fixed it. Thanks for reporting -- subtle but nasty bug. =)