users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Servers » Fairy » Buyer Beware: Shougun/Kap
Buyer Beware: Shougun/Kap
 Fairy.Andrinne
サーバ: Fairy
Game: FFXI
user: Andrinne
By Fairy.Andrinne 2010-01-06 00:59:00  
So semi-recently players Shougun and Kap have started up a business running astral burns in Korroloka tunnel. They were charging something along the lines of 200k per leach spot for 1 astral burn pull. For the fee, Shougun and Kap would arrange the party of summoners (largely from those LFP on site) and grab a level synch (again a volunteer) and charge for the remaining two leach spots. Shougun and Kap would then perform the pull.

Since I run a mercenary shell, let me state out front that I am not opposed to enterprising individuals who have found a way to offer a service for profit in this game. I also am not going to argue about how much they are charging or whether or not people should be buying these services (as other players will). However, I want to point out that Shougun and Kap have some very questionable business practices.

When a player I know asked to buy in for 1 pull, Kap told him that he could do something like 25-75 for $3 million. At which point the player said, "I only really want to go to around 55." Which apparently was a mistake because then Kap kept quoting him $1+ million for 25-55. The buyer then again said, "I only want to pay for 1 pull and then I will see if I want more."

Kap refused to do business with the guy, which I guess is his prerogative. I have refused to do business with players in the past. But instead of just either doing the 1 pull for his advertised amount, he and shougun logged off, leaving a party of summoners and pre-paid buyers standing there thinking the pull was going on.

I came to Korroloka to try to help and began to question other players standing around with odd jobs and their flags up. They reported paying Shougun and Kap over 1m to be taken from 60 to 70 and 3m from 20+ to 75. Neither of the players I talked to had achieved their levels. They reported that Shougun and Kap didn't communicate well, randomly logged off for many hours without warning or an apology when they returned and that they did get some xp but would have to chase down Shougun and Kap to get it done.

Moral of the story: Buyer beware of these two and it is not wise to hand another player millions of gil UP FRONT for a service that will take several days to weeks to complete.
[+]
 Fairy.Disc
user: disc
By Fairy.Disc 2010-01-06 01:03:25  
That's terrible. Thanks for the heads up though. Lately i've seen them in the tunnel A LOT, and have decided to just let them do their thing and wait until it was empty, but I didn't know they were doing it solely for profit. The whole scam thing is pretty nosy too, i'm usually active in the tunnel (but not really recently) with setting up my own astral burns so I will let the people know who they are if I see them.
[+]
 Phoenix.Darkovercast
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Darkovercast 2010-01-06 01:10:21  
Regardless of what you have said here, this is going to get flamed so hard ;_; /comfort
 Fairy.Disc
user: disc
By Fairy.Disc 2010-01-06 01:10:50  
There's no reason for it to get flamed.
 Siren.Clinpachi
サーバ: Siren
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-01-06 01:15:24  
I wish people could see that paying 3 million gil from 20 to 75 would not only make them horrible in terms of skill caps, but much worse in terms of skill as they didn't learn as they go.

The time it would take you to go back and skill up every single necessary skill could equal the time it took to farm around 5 million gil itself.

And this is putting it lightly before the flame brigade strolls through.

EDIT: i hope people try this for maat's cap only to get destroyed by him on most jobs that require competency.
 Phoenix.Darkovercast
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Darkovercast 2010-01-06 01:18:10  
Siren.Clinpachi said:
And this is putting it lightly before the flame brigade strolls through.

Oh, there coming, I can hears them o.o;
But I can sum up there fight already lol,
1) SMN Burns = bad
2) Player warnings = annoying
and then a few "you suck jokes" and then it will be done ;p
Shame though.
 Seraph.Jacon
サーバ: Seraph
user: lvicious
By Seraph.Jacon 2010-01-06 01:19:25  
"Buyer beware of these two and it is not wise to hand another player millions of gil UP FRONT for a service that will take several days to weeks to complete."

....sigh...and yet again another instance of why in god's name do people give away gil. The term "Up Front" when pertaining to any ffxi transaction should never ever apply.

If someone says I need the gil up front. You turn around, walk away and give them the finger on the way out. Even if they or someone else says it's ok or others have had it work out. They is a settin you up! 1 good = 2 bad.
[+]
 Fairy.Darkei
user: Darkei
By Fairy.Darkei 2010-01-06 01:49:03  
today

Hades.Stefanos
サーバ: Hades
user: Stefanos
By Hades.Stefanos 2010-01-06 01:59:17  
Fairy.Darkei said:
today

For some reason I'm lol'ing at your '...' after the shout.
[+]
 Fairy.Usua
user: Usua
By Fairy.Usua 2010-01-06 04:16:08  
If I see these guys when I'm in there farming I'll shout out a warning to every one in zone,
 Sylph.Jax
サーバ: Sylph
user: MissJax
By Sylph.Jax 2010-01-06 04:27:07  
/feeling bad for the people that got jipped
 Fairy.Wolfjorg
user: wolfjorgg
By Fairy.Wolfjorg 2010-01-06 13:22:58  
I don't feel bad for them. They took a chance on it, not knowing the person or person's they were doing buisness with.

What does suck though, is they can not GM them for taking their gil.
 Asura.Korpg
サーバ: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2010-01-06 13:27:23  
Never pay anything up front.

Only pay for services rendered.

Its like buying a truck from a car dealer before its even built. You don't know what its going to look like, or if you even got your money's worth. Why do people do the same thing as that?
 Fairy.Tedwardian
By Fairy.Tedwardian 2010-01-06 15:06:24  
so.. they paid for exp and got ripped off, oxymoron? lol
still a valid warning though, in terms of trusting people.
 Fairy.Aquilo
user: aquaman
By Fairy.Aquilo 2010-01-26 06:21:33  
What is worst is they are there all the time now this shougun has several accounts, Kap is one of them. what really makes this a tragedy is myself and a group of friends are there quite a lot and with shougun having so many accounts its hard to see who he actually is. but he does always tend to pull to the middle not j-9 its just before where the path narrows to form a bridge and the map changes either to altep side or basty side (if that makes sense). we do charge for pulls if we aren’t pulling for friends or to get levels back. And we always pull to the altep camp no where else :P