Denali Bonnet or Wally Turban
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13
 Cerberus.Kvazz
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-08-31 16:52:25  
Bahamut.Serj said:
Why does everything think you should have 1 tp and eva set? I have 5 different sets for tping and eva each (not including special set or gear)

Because it's hard to push macroes! :P

I don't understand why it's so hard to have multiple sets either..
And not using spellcast is not a reason >_>
I have no issues having tons of sets, even for my melee jobs, and I've never even touched spellcast <_>
 Leviathan.Angelskiss
サーバ: Leviathan
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2010-08-31 16:54:26  
Ramuh.Guffy said:
I think I will be using Denali Bonnet on Monk once I get Poise Shoes and use Foot Work. With Poise (5%), B Haidate (5%), Black Belt (12%), and Denali Bonnet (4%) I reach haste cap and the 1% extra from Turban isn't needed anymore, I think this is a situation where Denali Bonnet is better than W Turban.

Well played, although isnt footwork situational, or is it a full time thing.. (I is unfamiliar with Monk tbh~ min is sitting at 15)

Also isnt this

Brisk Mask RareExclusive
[Head] All Races
DEF: 26 Accuracy +6 Attack +6 Evasion -12
Haste +4% "Store TP" +4
Lv. 79 MNK / RDM / THF / BST / RNG / NIN / DRG / COR /
PUP / DNC

much better for mnk then denali anyways?

my humble opinion
 Cerberus.Kvazz
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2010-08-31 16:56:06  
Leviathan.Angelskiss said:
Ramuh.Guffy said:
I think I will be using Denali Bonnet on Monk once I get Poise Shoes and use Foot Work. With Poise (5%), B Haidate (5%), Black Belt (12%), and Denali Bonnet (4%) I reach haste cap and the 1% extra from Turban isn't needed anymore, I think this is a situation where Denali Bonnet is better than W Turban.

Well played, although isnt footwork situational, or is it a full time thing.. (I is unfamiliar with Monk tbh~ min is sitting at 15)

Also isnt this

Brisk Mask RareExclusive
[Head] All Races
DEF: 26 Accuracy +6 Attack +6 Evasion -12
Haste +4% "Store TP" +4
Lv. 79 MNK / RDM / THF / BST / RNG / NIN / DRG / COR /
PUP / DNC

much better for mnk then denali anyways?

my humble opinion

It can be a fulltime thing with the correct gear now.
And yes, that mask is better, but it's allso harder to get:P
 Leviathan.Angelskiss
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2010-08-31 16:57:53  
Cerberus.Kvazz said:
Bahamut.Serj said:
Why does everything think you should have 1 tp and eva set? I have 5 different sets for tping and eva each (not including special set or gear)

Because it's hard to push macroes! :P

I don't understand why it's so hard to have multiple sets either..
And not using spellcast is not a reason >_>
I have no issues having tons of sets, even for my melee jobs, and I've never even touched spellcast <_>
I don't have JUST a haste / Just an EVA/ etc setup.. I have so many macro gear changes in my dnc macros that Its like I never stop blinking :O And I played on xbox for many years so obviously no spellcast etc..

Was trying to give a simple response which seemed like a simple question ..

In MY experience as a 80 DNC, I have never felt the need/desire/nudging from lsmates to obtain a Denali hat because in MY opinion it is not needed for DNC. Thats all I was trying to get across. =)
 Phoenix.Excelior
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-08-31 17:47:08  
Ramuh.Guffy said:

People need to stop looking at gear as which piece is optimal for each slot. Performance comes from overall gearsets in which you obtain the optimal mix of stats:
Haste > Accuracy> Atk/str > double attack

While you may be able to fit dennali in and still keep capped haste you are not fully using the resources at your disposal to optimize your gearset. Example:

Usu head + Aurore gloves + Usu legs
Total: Still capped haste
12 str
5 dex
10 atk
7 accuracy

Vs what you're doing now:
Denali + Usu gloves(I'm guessing) +BH
Total: capped haste
Zero STR
15 Dex
10 accuracy
3 attack

Now lets compare the two:
Set1: +12 str, +10 attack vs 7dex 3 accuracy

Assuming you are not using usu gloves your current set isnt even debatably close to what I just listed.

Look for how to play around with different slots and maintain capped haste but maximize the other stats.
[+]
 Leviathan.Angelskiss
By Leviathan.Angelskiss 2010-08-31 17:51:51  
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Ramuh.Guffy said:

People need to stop looking at gear as which piece is optimal for each slot. Performance comes from overall gearsets in which you obtain the optimal mix of stats:
Haste > Accuracy> Atk/str > double attack

While you may be able to fit dennali in and still keep capped haste you are not fully using the resources at your disposal to optimize your gearset. Example:

Usu head + Aurore gloves + Usu legs
Total: Still capped haste
12 str
5 dex
10 atk
7 accuracy

Vs what you're doing now:
Denali + Usu gloves(I'm guessing) +BH
Total: capped haste
Zero STR
15 Dex
10 accuracy
3 attack

Now lets compare the two:
Set1: +12 str, +10 attack vs 7dex 3 accuracy

Assuming you are not using usu gloves your current set isnt even debatably close to what I just listed.

Look for how to play around with different slots and maintain capped haste but maximize the other stats.

Agreed with the general idea even though it did wander off topic :D
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-08-31 20:02:12  
So ridiculous that FFXI players fret about Haste +4% vs. Haste +5% on a piece of equipment.

BIG DEAL.

Judging others' equipment with the intent to be punitive and condescending is by far the lamest and sorriest pastime of FFXI players.

GET A LIFE.

If you like to optimize your FFXI gear, please, by all means, do so. No one, including me, is telling you that's a bad thing, and you're entitled to do as you wish. I applaud you.

But if another player wants to equip their character differently than you, LET IT GO. You're not better than that person based solely on your character's equipment. You don't deserve an award or any special praise. And they don't deserve your ridicule.

[+]
 Alexander.Temaruma
サーバ: Alexander
user: Temarumaz
By Alexander.Temaruma 2010-08-31 20:04:15  
Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
So ridiculous that FFXI players fret about Haste +4% vs. Haste +5% on a piece of equipment.

BIG DEAL.

Judging others' equipment with the intent to be punitive and condescending is by far the lamest and sorriest pastime of FFXI players.

GET A LIFE.

If you like to optimize your FFXI gear, please, by all means, do so. No one, including me, is telling you that's a bad thing, and you're entitled to do as you wish. I applaud you.

But if another player wants to equip their character differently than you, LET IT GO. You're not better than that person based solely on your character's equipment. You don't deserve an award or any special praise. And they don't deserve your ridicule.

Heheh nice askar.
[+]
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-08-31 20:07:38  
So ridiculous that FFXI players fret about Haste +4% vs. Haste +5% on a piece of equipment. BIG DEAL. Judging others' equipment with the intent to be punitive and condescending is by far the lamest and sorriest pastime of FFXI players. GET A LIFE. If you like to optimize your FFXI gear, please, by all means, do so. No one, including me, is telling you that's a bad thing, and you're entitled to do as you wish. I applaud you. But if another player wants to equip their character differently than you, LET IT GO. You're not better than that person based solely on your character's equipment. You don't deserve an award or any special praise. And they don't deserve your ridicule.

Ok your logic:

If some1 makes a thread asking for help/advice and then doesn't accept any despite mathmatical and logical evidence that's ok.

Reality:
This entire thread was a pointless waste because the person(s) asking for advice didn't want any, even though the initial post states otherwise.
[+]
 Ifrit.Vextra
サーバ: Ifrit
user: Vextra
By Ifrit.Vextra 2010-08-31 20:08:45  

BIG DEAL.

GET A LIFE.

If your referring to the OP's question, it was answered within the first page as is the case with most gear/whatever question, the rest is just *** arguing.
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-08-31 20:12:27  
Ifrit.Vextra said:
So ridiculous that FFXI players fret about Haste +4% vs. Haste +5% on a piece of equipment. BIG DEAL. Judging others' equipment with the intent to be punitive and condescending is by far the lamest and sorriest pastime of FFXI players. GET A LIFE. If you like to optimize your FFXI gear, please, by all means, do so. No one, including me, is telling you that's a bad thing, and you're entitled to do as you wish. I applaud you. But if another player wants to equip their character differently than you, LET IT GO. You're not better than that person based solely on your character's equipment. You don't deserve an award or any special praise. And they don't deserve your ridicule.
If your referring to the OP's question, it was answered within the first page as is the case with most gear/whatever question, the rest is just *** arguing.

I'm more or less speaking for threads like these in general. People who want to better themselves and further their knowledge and education should do so open mindedly or not at all. If people can't take critism and change their ideas and opinions when presented with facts then they're going to have a hard life in general.
 Bismarck.Magnumatic
By Bismarck.Magnumatic 2010-08-31 20:13:11  

Cool story. Just don't give anyone advice.
[+]
 Ifrit.Vextra
By Ifrit.Vextra 2010-08-31 20:17:44  
Bismarck.Magnumatic said:

got to love not tp'ing in enough stp lol

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-08-31 20:25:22  
Excelior:

I agree that the OP probably shouldn't have wasted his/her time by posting his/her question.

My point is that player-bashing over character equipment is cliche and mundane, and it's bad form, no matter how much conviction one has in his/her opinions.

Let's just say, hypothetically, for example, that some mathematical formulas have "proven" that Nike track/running shoes are "better" than Adidas track/running shoes (based on weight, aerodynamics, traction, fit, whatever). And you line up in a 100-meter dash, with your Nikes, next to a person wearing Adidas. Based on FFXI forums logic, you know your Nikes give you 5% Haste, while your opponent's Adidas "only" give 4% Haste. Therefore, you feel superior, and achieve a false sense of confidence in your abilities.
The race starts, and the Adidas shoe guy whips your tail.

Impossible? You're wearing the "best" shoes?

No.

Should the guy wearing the Adidas shoes be ridiculed because you think he would have beaten you by even more if he was "smart enough" to wear Nikes like you?

No.

The bottom line is that it's a freakin' game. Should one aim to play the game well? For most people, probably yes. Does that mean one should seek advice from peers? Again, for most people, probably yes. But should every player conform to others' opinions in all instances? Hell no.

[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-31 20:27:31  
Why bother with analogies, 5 > 4, using a weaker piece is crazy.
[+]
 Ifrit.Vextra
By Ifrit.Vextra 2010-08-31 20:29:01  
Excelior:

I agree that the OP probably shouldn't have wasted his/her time by posting his/her question.

My point is that player-bashing over character equipment is cliche and mundane, and it's bad form, no matter how much conviction one has in his/her opinions.

Let's just say, hypothetically, for example, that some mathematical formulas have "proven" that Nike track/running shoes are "better" than Adidas track/running shoes (based on weight, aerodynamics, traction, fit, whatever). And you line up in a 100-meter dash, with your Nikes, next to a person wearing Adidas. Based on FFXI forums logic, you know your Nikes give you 5% Haste, while your opponent's Adidas "only" give 4% Haste. Therefore, you feel superior, and achieve a false sense of confidence in your abilities.
The race starts, and the Adidas shoe guy whips your tail.

Impossible? You're wearing the "best" shoes?

No.

Should the guy wearing the Adidas shoes be ridiculed because you think he would have beaten you by even more if he was "smart enough" to wear Nikes like you?

No.

The bottom line is that it's a freakin' game. Should one aim to play the game well? For most people, probably yes. Does that mean one should seek advice from peers? Again, for most people, probably yes. But should every player conform to others' opinions in all instances? Hell no.

lol hypocrite
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-08-31 20:31:18  
He's asking for the best option between those 2 pieces. The best option is Walahra Turban. You prove it by using math, and people coming in and saying "Denali is better" are being stupid and since people don't want false information spread, they argue about it. If people don't want to optimize gear that's fine but for people who do want to optimize their gear, there needs to be correct information. Gimps spreading false information are flamed because they have HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE reasons for saying what they do.

Player A can be beaten by Player B which has worse gear and Player B can be beaten by Player C which has both gear and skill.

Should we give player B incorrect information when he wants to become better with his gear choices?
[+]
 Alexander.Temaruma
By Alexander.Temaruma 2010-08-31 20:31:19  

QQ I use askar but I'm good at the game like you guys too:(
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-08-31 20:31:37  
Bismarck.Magnumatic said:

Actually, I will. If that person chooses to heed the advice, cool. If they choose not to, cool.

That's exactly the problem with many individuals posting in these forums and others like these: to use forums' language, people get "butthurt" whenever their logical opinions aren't validated 100% by the recipient of the advice.

Get over yourself.
[+]
 Ifrit.Vextra
By Ifrit.Vextra 2010-08-31 20:31:50  
Alexander.Temaruma said:

QQ I use askar but I'm good at the game like you guys too:(

lol
[+]
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-08-31 20:33:20  
Excelior: I agree that the OP probably shouldn't have wasted his/her time by posting his/her time. My point is that player-bashing over character equipment is cliche and mundane, and it's bad form, no matter how much conviction one has in his/her opinions. Let's just say, hypothetically, for example, that some mathematical formulas have "proven" that Nike track/running shoes are "better" than Adidas track/running shoes (based on weight, aerodynamics, traction, fit, whatever). And you line up in a 100-meter dash, with your Nikes, next to a person wearing Adidas. Based on FFXI forums logic, you know your Nikes give you 5% Haste, while your opponent's Adidas "only" give 4% Haste. Therefore, you feel superior, and achieve a false sense of confidence in your abilities. The race starts, and the Adidas shoe guy whips your tail. Impossible? You're wearing the "best" shoes? No. Should the guy wearing the Adidas shoes be ridiculed because you think he would have beaten you by even more if he was "smart enough" to wear Nikes like you? No. The bottom line is that it's a freakin' game. Should one aim to play the game well? For most people, probably yes. Does that mean one should seek advice from peers? Again, for most people, probably yes. But should every player conform to others' opinions in all instances? Hell no.

Ok don't even get into the skill part of ffxi, that's a dumb argument.

Player A and player B have the same gear.
Player A is more skilled than player B.
Player A will do better than Player B.

Player C has better gear than Player D
Player D is more skilled than Player C
Player D COULD potentially perform better than Player C

Player E and Player F are extremely skilled
Player E has better gear than player F
Player E will general out perform Player F

Gear could be said to raise the limits of what you can do.
Skill would be said to see how close to those limits you can come. No measure of skill can hope to exceed the limits of the player's gear.

IE. I'm a pretty skilled and experienced PLD. I do not possess a lot of the more elite items(Aegis, Dring, etc)
No matter how skilled I am, without certain items I will not be able to do some ***people with those item can do.
[+]
 Ifrit.Vextra
By Ifrit.Vextra 2010-08-31 20:34:30  
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Excelior: I agree that the OP probably shouldn't have wasted his/her time by posting his/her time. My point is that player-bashing over character equipment is cliche and mundane, and it's bad form, no matter how much conviction one has in his/her opinions. Let's just say, hypothetically, for example, that some mathematical formulas have "proven" that Nike track/running shoes are "better" than Adidas track/running shoes (based on weight, aerodynamics, traction, fit, whatever). And you line up in a 100-meter dash, with your Nikes, next to a person wearing Adidas. Based on FFXI forums logic, you know your Nikes give you 5% Haste, while your opponent's Adidas "only" give 4% Haste. Therefore, you feel superior, and achieve a false sense of confidence in your abilities. The race starts, and the Adidas shoe guy whips your tail. Impossible? You're wearing the "best" shoes? No. Should the guy wearing the Adidas shoes be ridiculed because you think he would have beaten you by even more if he was "smart enough" to wear Nikes like you? No. The bottom line is that it's a freakin' game. Should one aim to play the game well? For most people, probably yes. Does that mean one should seek advice from peers? Again, for most people, probably yes. But should every player conform to others' opinions in all instances? Hell no.

Ok don't even get into the skill part of ffxi, that's a dumb argument.

Player A and player B have the same gear.
Player A is more skilled than player B.
Player A will do better than Player B.

Player C has better gear than Player D
Player D is more skilled than Player C
Player D COULD potentially perform better than Player C

Player E and Player F are extremely skilled
Player E has better gear than player F
Player E will general out perform Player F

Gear could be said to raise the limits of what you can do.
Skill would be said to see how close to those limits you can come. No measure of skill can hope to exceed the limits of the player's gear.

IE. I'm a pretty skilled and experienced PLD. I do not possess a lot of the more elite items(Aegis, Dring, etc)
No matter how skilled I am, without certain items I will not be able to do some ***people with those item can do.

but your drk can out nuke blms right?
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-08-31 20:36:09  
Ifrit.Vextra said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Ok don't even get into the skill part of ffxi, that's a dumb argument. Player A and player B have the same gear. Player A is more skilled than player B. Player A will do better than Player B. Player C has better gear than Player D Player D is more skilled than Player C Player D COULD potentially perform better than Player C Player E and Player F are extremely skilled Player E has better gear than player F Player E will general out perform Player F Gear could be said to raise the limits of what you can do. Skill would be said to see how close to those limits you can come. No measure of skill can hope to exceed the limits of the player's gear. IE. I'm a pretty skilled and experienced PLD. I do not possess a lot of the more elite items(Aegis, Dring, etc) No matter how skilled I am, without certain items I will not be able to do some ***people with those item can do.

If you don't think my drk can out nuke blms just send me a tell holmes! WeLl PaRser it up. I out tank pld with sub dancer and out nukeblms iknow i out nuke them blms cause my drk is always dyin. Where's their hate holmes? I tell them blms and plds to leave.
[+]
 Ifrit.Vextra
By Ifrit.Vextra 2010-08-31 20:36:55  
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Ifrit.Vextra said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Ok don't even get into the skill part of ffxi, that's a dumb argument. Player A and player B have the same gear. Player A is more skilled than player B. Player A will do better than Player B. Player C has better gear than Player D Player D is more skilled than Player C Player D COULD potentially perform better than Player C Player E and Player F are extremely skilled Player E has better gear than player F Player E will general out perform Player F Gear could be said to raise the limits of what you can do. Skill would be said to see how close to those limits you can come. No measure of skill can hope to exceed the limits of the player's gear. IE. I'm a pretty skilled and experienced PLD. I do not possess a lot of the more elite items(Aegis, Dring, etc) No matter how skilled I am, without certain items I will not be able to do some ***people with those item can do.

If you don't think my drk can out nuke blms just send me a tell holmes! WeLl PaRser it up. I out tank pld with sub dancer and out nukeblms iknow i out nuke them blms cause my drk is always dyin. Where's their hate holmes? I tell them blms and plds to leave.

really hope your being sarcastic
 Phoenix.Excelior
By Phoenix.Excelior 2010-08-31 20:38:49  
Ifrit.Vextra said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
Ifrit.Vextra said:
Phoenix.Excelior said:
really hope your being sarcastic

This is the internet, everything is serious and factual.

[+]
 Alexander.Temaruma
By Alexander.Temaruma 2010-08-31 20:39:48  

Get over yourself.

Practice what you preach bud.
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Ifrit.Vextra
By Ifrit.Vextra 2010-08-31 20:40:50  
loltaruapoc
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-08-31 20:43:06  
It's not a dumb argument.

When it comes to endgame material in FFXI, what matters is results. How a player achieves the results is more or less irrelevant, except for the purposes of petty debates.

You may not be able to do the "same ***" on PLD that a PLD using Aegis or D-Ring can do, but the influence of those particular items is FAR more potent than the effect of say ... W. Turban over another Haste-bearing headpiece.

The bottom line is that, with some notable but rare exceptions, individual pieces of equipment on FFXI have a FAR LESSER effect on a player's performance than what one might expect, given the volume of gear "discussions" (arguments) in FFXI forums, and the tenacity with which some players defend said arguments.

Gear is important. But it's less important than most want to believe. Sorry.

Like I said, get over yourselves!

[+]
First Page 2 3 ... 10 11 12 13