Stun Locking!!!

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Blue Mage » Stun locking!!!
Stun locking!!!
First Page 2 3 4
 Ramuh.Dasva
サーバ: Ramuh
Game: FFXI
user: dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-04 06:45:06  
So before any goes there is nothing worth doing that it is acheivable on I have been getting sucess on T1/T2 VNMs with all stuns and low manning (2-3) can be rough (like when they hundred fist repeatidly) so I wanted to try stun locking out for once.

First a little about my character in case it makes a differnce. Taru with full int and 4/8 swd merits and can't merit blue magic. Assume I have or have access to all gear outside of yigit, new stuff from last update, mythic weapon and have most subjobs and spells

So here is what I'd like to know:

1) For each blu stun spell what affects stun proc rate and/or duration. Maybe aproximate ranking in duration of each one?

2) Maybe a general idea of on each one how much so can decide on haste/fast cast vs proc rate/duration gearing. And reccommendations too

3) Any links to testing done on it.

4) Oh and I don't have tail slap. Is it worth getting?

5) Anything I might be forgetting that would be important. Like maybe other helpful spells that would stop attacks besides the obvious flashga. Probably will have a rdm for slow/para though I think they kinda resistant

And thanks ahead of time
[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Asura.Korpg
サーバ: Asura
user: Korpg
By Asura.Korpg 2010-04-04 08:27:49  
Correct me if I'm wrong (not a level 75 BLU) but isn't the stun duration for all BLU spells vastly inferior to even DRK stun? I know that I can get a good 7 second stun as BLM on most anything, so why would people want to stun lock as BLU when it lasts for less than a second if it procs at all? All this going by my experiences as a 54 BLU on regular mobs.
[+]
 Cerberus.Hiryo
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Hiryo
By Cerberus.Hiryo 2010-04-04 08:38:52  
Asura.Korpg said:
Correct me if I'm wrong (not a level 75 BLU) but isn't the stun duration for all BLU spells vastly inferior to even DRK stun? I know that I can get a good 7 second stun as BLM on most anything, so why would people want to stun lock as BLU when it lasts for less than a second if it procs at all? All this going by my experiences as a 54 BLU on regular mobs.

It may not last as long, but you can cast it ~6x(depending on haste) faster than a Dark or BLM, and as OP said he'd be using it in low manning situations so ti can be a life saver.

But yeah, INT helps it to proc, and for longer, so you may want to set spells that have that and gear appropriately from what I've been told.

But yeah from my experience head butt does fail on HNMs etc~
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-04-04 12:05:13  
There is zero proof that INT affects the stun. None. Head Butt only fails on HNM because of accuracy issues, but T1/T2 VNM hardly qualify as HNM lol.

Your general focus is Head Butt, any other stuns would just be to interrupt TP moves or if a spell whiffs. Haste/Fast Cast all the way for all of them as a result, but make sure Head Butt will still land. I add in AF+1 body and macc where I can as well. You'll want 2 BLU to rotate Head Butt if possible, just make sure not to overlap stuns. One BLU can do a pretty good job of locking it down with a good Haste/Fast Cast set though.

Tail Slap is absurdly expensive, don't worry about it for this. Nice for Store TP trait though.
[+]
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-04 15:03:50  
Well I wont have to blus so just headbutt is out. Especially since it's duration is kinda meh on anything semi difficult. The reason I want to do this on blu is because sure drk stun will last longer than any of mine except the lightning dmg one. But I want to be casting another stun even an inferior one everytime I see it wear off during key movments. Not stun it ever 23-45 sec lol.

I've been playing with them all and all the cast time is eww but blitzrahl or however you spell it seems to last long time. Anyways I'll keep checking this and I guess just making it up as I go along

Also I know headbutt is fail agains HNMs however I do headbutt these VNMs very well and suprisingly most einharjar bosses. Which is about the hardest things I've every allowed to not come as rdm or blm for.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
サーバ: Unicorn
user: Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-04-04 18:34:00  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
There is zero proof that INT affects the stun. None. Head Butt only fails on HNM because of accuracy issues, but T1/T2 VNM hardly qualify as HNM lol. Your general focus is Head Butt, any other stuns would just be to interrupt TP moves or if a spell whiffs. Haste/Fast Cast all the way for all of them as a result, but make sure Head Butt will still land. I add in AF 1 body and macc where I can as well. You'll want 2 BLU to rotate Head Butt if possible, just make sure not to overlap stuns. One BLU can do a pretty good job of locking it down with a good Haste/Fast Cast set though. Tail Slap is absurdly expensive, don't worry about it for this. Nice for Store TP trait though.
Actually, there's been testing showing that INT and magic acc help the stun on head butt proc. It has nothing to do with acc, you can SA head butt HNM's and stun still won't proc much. An easy example is Nyzul bosses which are easy to hit but are very resistant to the stun from head butt.

Are you pretty much getting 100% stun rate just crappy duration on VNM's or actually getting some stun resists? In the long run, I dunno if it's really worth using the other stuns just because the mp usage will start to kill you in a long fight. Temporal shift is very good in terms of effectiveness of the stun though I don't use it much personally.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-04-04 18:45:03  
Duration's affected by level correction iirc. Care to share this proof?
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-04-04 18:49:09  
Are we talking about Duration or total resist of the stun itself?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-04-04 18:49:27  
INT
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-04-04 18:50:02  
Yes, are we talking about INT affecting the duration or total resist of the stun itself, lol.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-04-04 18:50:28  
k, didn't misread. Duration.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-04-04 18:52:06  
I dunno about duration then, I was only talking about whether or not you get a total resist. I'd imagine duration is extremely hard to get a good accurate read on.

Edit: And since INT does affect the proc rate it might not be unheard of for it to affect the duration too assuming low duration on high mobs is just a function of partial stun resists rather than level correction.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-04-04 19:00:26  
I can't really say, since I've never bothered to experiment with anything other than a haste/acc (read: tp) build for head butt, but I'm doubtful INT even matters on proc rate. The way I see it, there are three classes of mobs for head butt:
Those you can stun consistently
Those you can't stun at all
Those that head butt stun only procs sometimes

The first category is obvious, use head butt as much or as little as you need to.
The second category is also obvious, don't bother with head butt.
The third category is where the argument lies. I kinda figure that since head butt is so unreliable here, anything you attempt is still not going to be guaranteed, so it's really only something you use out of desperation. If you're just spamming headbutt on these mobs, it's going to proc at the wrong time and *** up a blm or drk stun instead of actually doing good. If the mob you're fighting has some really nasty tp move, go ahead and throw a head butt at it in case the real stunners aren't paying close enough attention, but otherwise, just don't bother.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-04-04 19:04:34  
Unicorn.Tarowyn said:
I dunno about duration then, I was only talking about whether or not you get a total resist. I'd imagine duration is extremely hard to get a good accurate read on.

Edit: And since INT does affect the proc rate it might not be unheard of for it to affect the duration too assuming low duration on high mobs is just a function of partial stun resists rather than level correction.
Ok, where's the test on land rate then? Cause I'm with Blazza on this one. INT hasn't been shown to affect Stun and it's known not to affect Drain/Aspir, I don't see why it would affect Head Butt proc rate.
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-04-04 19:07:21  
http://bml.blog.shinobi.jp/Entry/144/

Blu magic has all sorts of funny things going on in it techncially.

Edit: This is on pure proc rate btw, nothing on duration.
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-04-04 19:16:04  
Bottom graph, ignore the INT row and look at the difference, there's an 11% increase in proc rate from +4 INT difference. This suggests to me that the sample size is too small to be certain of anything. And/or it's completely random and they got lucky with the INT build.
[+]
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-04-04 19:19:25  
The sample size is small, but the results are still better than your "feelings" that INT doesn't do anything. You can go test it yourself if you feel so inclined.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-04-04 19:22:09  
I'm relying on google translate for this so I could be wrong, but it appears they're not confident in the validity of their data.
[+]
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-04-04 19:22:43  
He also did some testing where he did less isolated testing, just boosted INT/MND both, where his sample size is a little larger.

http://bml.blog.shinobi.jp/Entry/139/
[+]
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-04-04 19:24:15  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
I'm relying on google translate for this so I could be wrong, but it appears they're not confident in the validity of their data.
Hmmm, not sure where you're seeing that, could just be a mistranslate. There is one point where he says he has no doubts in the results because they're so pronounced.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-04-04 19:31:16  
Unicorn.Tarowyn said:
The sample size is small, but the results are still better than your "feelings" that INT doesn't do anything. You can go test it yourself if you feel so inclined.
I really don't care. Maybe it's 100% correct and INT does help, but as I said before, there's 3 categories of mobs for head butt, the category that this helps on I wouldn't risk relying on head butt regardless of my build. End of story *shrug*
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-04-04 19:35:51  
So why even bother posting here? You have useless input and didn't even appear to read the original post.
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2010-04-04 19:48:14  
That's your opinion. I offer advice on one way of using head butt, you're using another. The difference is that mine doesn't require uncertain sample sizes and charts to back it up *shrug*
 Unicorn.Tarowyn
By Unicorn.Tarowyn 2010-04-04 19:51:18  
Actually, I haven't offered any advice at all on how to use head butt since I was asking Dasva for more information about his particular situation before saying anything. All I did was correct a point.
[+]
 Sylph.Sindri
サーバ: Sylph
user: Sindri
By Sylph.Sindri 2010-04-04 19:54:16  
Also not mentioned; straight Magic Accuracy will affect Head Butt's stun proc. I saw someone leave that out, thought I'd make sure it was added, I haven't actually bothered to read the OP.
 Sylph.Sindri
By Sylph.Sindri 2010-04-04 19:58:48  
Decided to make an Item Set because it's what I love to do. For me the following Item Set would be ideal for Head Butt, assuming the following:

5/5 Magic Accuracy
8/8 Blue Magic (I'm aware you don't have access to this)
Both Erlking's Weapons with atleast 5 Magic Accuracy

It provides a nice boost of Magic Accuracy, with a fair amount of Recast reduction and even a bit of straight accuracy. I'd still advise eating Sushi because your acc won't be anywhere near capped, but the Erlking's have a fairly high chance at getting Acc AND Macc so that may help.

Edit:
Accidentally deleted my old post trying to edit the preceding into it... oh well; Tail Slap is a fail spell but it can be used to make Store TP. Wouldn't bother if you don't have any room to set it but if you do, can't hurt.
 Ramuh.Dasva
By Ramuh.Dasva 2010-04-04 20:15:19  
Bah forgot nash is a little out of my range right now.

Anyways my goal is trying to keep a hundred fisting mob stunned for as long as possible. Given how long head butt last on these mobs and the fact they do it multiple times.

So yes headbutt works but it alone wont be enough. Blitz should work if starting right after another stun since it isn't stunning a move/spell just meleeing. At least so far it is working awesome on random mobs.
 Sylph.Sindri
By Sylph.Sindri 2010-04-04 20:17:35  
Ramuh.Dasva said:
Bah forgot nash is a little out of my range right now.

Anyways my goal is trying to keep a hundred fisting mob stunned for as long as possible. Given how long head butt last on these mobs and the fact they do it multiple times.

So yes headbutt works but it alone wont be enough. Blitz should work if starting right after another stun since it isn't stunning a move/spell just meleeing. At least so far it is working awesome on random mobs.

Set Temporal Shift + Frypan too, sometimes with gearswapping it takes a while to get headbutt into functioning. These seem to have a higher stun rate, so I'd advise opening with Temporal Shift, Frypan immediately and then click your head butt macro and open chat log to keep the gear from changing back assuming it's macro'd in; then just cast Head Butt manually.
First Page 2 3 4