users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Dragoon » DRG Merits: Strafe
DRG Merits: Strafe
 Ifrit.Eikechi
サーバ: Ifrit
Game: FFXI
user: Eike
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-09-19 05:42:33  
isnt 5/5 deep breathing + 5/5 angon just so much better anyways?
 Alexander.Leostrife
サーバ: Alexander
user: Leostrife
By Alexander.Leostrife 2010-09-19 05:52:18  
To each their own I guess, most people I usually ask just dismiss Strafe completely and say go with Deep Breathing or some other combination. I'm just curious to see if there are any actual tests for Strafe. Personally I've liked the trait and I think it's worth another look.
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-09-19 06:01:30  
does strafe improve the potency of healing breath?
 Alexander.Leostrife
サーバ: Alexander
user: Leostrife
By Alexander.Leostrife 2010-09-19 06:13:42  
Nope. However, back when I did have Deep Breathing merits my regular healing breath was able to recover about 55% of my Taru HP. Long story short I didn't find Deep Breathing to be a huge asset for me when I did solo as Drg. Also HP merits are out of the question since I went with MP merits for my main job.

I do have a question though regarding the Wyvern macc from Strafe and the dmg from Deep Breathing. 5/5 Deep Breathing has a 5 min recast right? With Drg/Sam as it is now with Spirit/Soul feeding us TP like crazy, would the x2 dmg Deep Breathing every five mins do more DOT than the higher macc breaths from all the WSs done within a five min period? Can be in exp or HNMs, my experience with the latter is rather limited when it comes to Drg.

Edit: I'm still thinking each lvl of Strafe increases the breath macc by a set amount, I'm assuming it does.
 Quetzalcoatl.Natlow
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Natlow
By Quetzalcoatl.Natlow 2010-09-19 06:50:50  
Asura.Shinagami said:
empathy depends on your sub 100%...like, with /sam you can transfer over hasso, if you have haste on you you can transfer that over...if /war you can throw zerk over, /drk you can throw souleater over and let ur wyvern comb its scales over one eye... which i think would be pretty funny.

angon, idk, i put 1 merit in it cuz things usually die before it wears, and in long fights you can just throw another angon for a quick spike to damage.

deep breathing = fun.

im going 5/5DB 1/5Angon 3/5Empathy 1/5 Strafe, i like having it all :<

Ninja edit: Plus now DB + convert = lolmp >.>, then again, we get refresh /rdm next lv cap increase :3...never know~

You do know that Hasso only gives a bonus to two handed weapons, so it does nothing for your wyvern right?
 Valefor.Byxfluzba
サーバ: Valefor
user: Byxfluzba
By Valefor.Byxfluzba 2010-09-20 02:29:49  
Please stop pretending strafe does anything of use whatsoever. It's just awful.
[+]
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-09-20 02:32:35  
Alexander.Leostrife said:

I do have a question though regarding the Wyvern macc from Strafe and the dmg from Deep Breathing. 5/5 Deep Breathing has a 5 min recast right? With Drg/Sam as it is now with Spirit/Soul feeding us TP like crazy, would the x2 dmg Deep Breathing every five mins do more DOT than the higher macc breaths from all the WSs done within a five min period? Can be in exp or HNMs, my experience with the latter is rather limited when it comes to Drg.

Edit: I'm still thinking each lvl of Strafe increases the breath macc by a set amount, I'm assuming it does.

simply put...I really don't think so... strafe will simply lower the resist rate, but deep breathing actually enhances potency by quite a lot
By Artemicion 2010-09-20 02:47:24  
Why merit strafe when you can use DRACHEN ROLL!!
lawl
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-09-20 02:59:00  
Valefor.Byxfluzba said:
Please stop pretending strafe does anything of use whatsoever. It's just awful.
So is your Ulthalam's Ring.
Alexander.Leostrife said:
Nope. However, back when I did have Deep Breathing merits my regular healing breath was able to recover about 55% of my Taru HP. Long story short I didn't find Deep Breathing to be a huge asset for me when I did solo as Drg. Also HP merits are out of the question since I went with MP merits for my main job.

Quite possibly. Wyvern TP influences elemental breath macc, so it's conceivable that you'd see a decent boost. Deep Breathing is indeed a potent boost, but 1) it's every 5 minutes and 2) cuts into your melee time with JA delay. Any time you don't use Deep Breathing at recast, it's weakened further. Nice for soloing though.
[+]
 Ifrit.Eikechi
By Ifrit.Eikechi 2010-09-20 03:00:50  
or you can get 5/5 deep breathing AND 5/5 strafe and say f-you angon!! lol... i wouldn't..just sayin..its doable lol
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-09-20 03:13:15  
Less than 5/5 Angon honestly isn't the worst idea. A lot of ***dies in under a minute and many people have defense down weapons, which override Angon. It's still fantastic for zergs, epeening, and even general use so obviously 0 merits in it is a terrible idea like you said, but arguments for 5/5 are pretty tenuous these days as well unless nobody in your shell uses defense down weapons *and* you take DRG to big non-zerged NMs on a regular basis. Mine hasn't seen the light of day outside zergs, exp, and trials in a long time, so I'm happy with 2/5.
By Artemicion 2010-09-20 03:14:14  
Does Empathy have any modern appeal now? Some of the given effects added to your wyvern would be nifty and would contribute somewhat significantly to overall DPS.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-09-20 03:17:08  
Getting the right buffs to transfer is too much of a hassle imo. Didn't bother with it.
By Artemicion 2010-09-20 03:21:26  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Getting the right buffs to transfer is too much of a hassle imo. Didn't bother with it.

Yeah. Too many end up being redundant and do nothing to assist your DPS.
 Shiva.Darkshade
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-09-20 03:45:21  
NO
[+]
By Artemicion 2010-09-20 03:46:22  
I feel so speshul.
 Asura.Shinagami
サーバ: Asura
user: Shinagami
By Asura.Shinagami 2010-09-20 04:09:08  
Quetzalcoatl.Natlow said:
Asura.Shinagami said:
empathy depends on your sub 100%...like, with /sam you can transfer over hasso, if you have haste on you you can transfer that over...if /war you can throw zerk over, /drk you can throw souleater over and let ur wyvern comb its scales over one eye... which i think would be pretty funny.

angon, idk, i put 1 merit in it cuz things usually die before it wears, and in long fights you can just throw another angon for a quick spike to damage.

deep breathing = fun.

im going 5/5DB 1/5Angon 3/5Empathy 1/5 Strafe, i like having it all :<

Ninja edit: Plus now DB + convert = lolmp >.>, then again, we get refresh /rdm next lv cap increase :3...never know~

You do know that Hasso only gives a bonus to two handed weapons, so it does nothing for your wyvern right?
Late reply to a quote as I just now noticed it. link for you~

also note: i said hasso is transferable, i NEVER said it did anything >_>
 Shiva.Darkshade
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Darkshade 2010-09-20 04:48:34  
I feel like it's worth noting that 5/5 Angon helps with NMs a lot and I think should be higher priority than anything else on cat2.

It also stacks with Dia III for super rape.
By ryujinsephy 2010-09-20 04:59:26  
5/5 Angon allowed me to do ACP final fight zerg method at 75. I was thinking doing Empathy 2/5 and Deep Breathing 3/5 and leaving Strafe.

Also having the Angon I think maybe helps with the new Abyssea NMs when u want a smaller party to not have as much Cast Lots competition on seals.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2010-09-20 07:04:17  
Shiva.Darkshade said:
I feel like it's worth noting that 5/5 Angon helps with NMs a lot and I think should be higher priority than anything else on cat2.

It also stacks with Dia III for super rape.
Again, this depends on what you use your DRG for. If ***isn't lasting longer than one minute, anything beyond 2/5 is useless.
ryujinsephy said:
5/5 Angon allowed me to do ACP final fight zerg method at 75. I was thinking doing Empathy 2/5 and Deep Breathing 3/5 and leaving Strafe.

Also having the Angon I think maybe helps with the new Abyssea NMs when u want a smaller party to not have as much Cast Lots competition on seals.
DRG would be one of the first jobs I'd cut out of such an equation tbh. Angon isn't exactly critical to success, especially if you have other sources of defense down. Beyond that, all DRG contributes is damage. Better to bring jobs that can fulfill multiple critical roles at once, such as DD + tank.
 Cerberus.Irohuro
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Irohuro
By Cerberus.Irohuro 2010-09-21 16:53:53  
im gonna do 5/5 DB 3/5 empathy and 2/5 angon only time i have problems with wyvern elemental breath is when it uses a HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE breath, and outside of abyssea pts im always /mage anyways
 Ragnarok.Amador
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Amador
By Ragnarok.Amador 2010-09-22 15:47:49  
Deep Breathing 4/5
Angon 5/5
Empathy 1/5

I can't justify Strafe really, it's just not something that would matter much. Unless the HNM is effectively melee only without dangerous AOEs and your wyvern isn't dying, it's worthless.

Empathy on it's own is fairly worthless, but comes in handy for certain things... Cocoon, SS, Haste.

Still a shame Hasso doesn't work with it though...

However, keeping your Deep Breathing high, will allow you actually produce higher breath damage over time. With the use of Dragoon's Earring also, it doesn't really do much for you or your wyvern.

It's funny, but for a long time people got Strafe because they believed it gave them +5 Accuracy per level. (Lol)

Anyways, it's always interesting to see how people set up their merits. In a way it just depends on playstyle, but some are more effective dependant on situation than others.

Bismarck.Tuvae
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Tuv
By Bismarck.Tuvae 2010-09-22 15:57:54  
Ifrit.Eikechi said:
isnt 5/5 deep breathing + 5/5 angon just so much better anyways?
Thats what I went with.
 Bahamut.Zorander
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Zor
By Bahamut.Zorander 2010-09-22 16:41:35  
I ended up going..
5/5 Deep Breathing
4/5 Angon
1/5 Empathy

I don't ever regret getting empathy..its nice using Spirit Link when your pet has full health..George gets my buffs and I get Georges TP..its way nice.

Imo Strafe is a waste of merits.