フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » Sam 75+ questions and gear
Sam 75+ questions and gear
First Page 2 3
 Phoenix.Cell
サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: Cell
By Phoenix.Cell 2010-08-10 21:07:35  
I hit 75 a few days ago and had some questions. But I waited and did Abyssea and hit 80. Mainly Im wondering about gear and merits.

Right now Im at 80 Sam:

GK 304 (after putting 5mp into it)
Evasion 252
Parry 140

Store Tp fully merited.

Gear:

Hagun / Soboro (for when I solo /dnc)
Pole grip
Smart Grenade

Sipahi Turban / Myochin Kabuto (meditate)
Chivalrous Chain
Fowling earring
Coral earring

Haubergeon / Kirin's Osode (for Ws)
Hachiman kote / Dusk Gloves
Rajas ring
Ecphoria ring / Ruby ring (Ws)

Amemet mantle +1
Swiftbelt
Shinimusha haidate / Hachiman hakama
Hachiman Suse-ate / Fuma sune-ate

Bought a full Perle set today when leaving Abyssea. Working on a Walarha Turban and Im at Divine Might in Zilarts for Bushi earring. Id like a Thew Bomblet for ammo slot. So thats the gear I have and Im looking for some advice on tp and ws builds and where to go with merits. Thanks.

Bismarck.Dracondria
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2010-08-10 21:17:34  
Get rid of the Hachiman Hakama, they're useless really. Use STR legs like AF instead and work on a Rose Strap. Try and find an older Sky shell and work on Byakko's Haidate and Shura Haidate. The older ones are usually capped out on those so it's easier to get. Alternatively you could farm a ton and buy them from an LS.

You could also work on a Keitonotachi 5hit, there's a lot of info about builds in the thread about it.
 Shiva.Superdan
サーバ: Shiva
user: SuperDan
By Shiva.Superdan 2010-08-10 21:27:45  
I'd reccommend working towards Byakko's Haidate if you can/have time, until then you can get them I'd think full perle is probably the best haste/general DD set you'll get in your 5 armor slots.

Set I'd say would be something like this (I'm going for current, easy to obtain gear, nothing over extravagant, until you get your EG gear sorted this will suffice)

Head - Perle (TP and even WS if nothing better. Could try get int a viking helm run possible)

Neck - Chiv Chain probably going to be fine for TPing unless you wanna buy yourself a PCC, but with the GKT skill atm you're probably fine on acc, save gil for other slots unless you got some to burn.

lear - Guessing you dont have sea? Work on it, it's easy now. Get a brutal.

rear - Fowling fine till bush. I still actually use fowling.. As I have a supp and nothing else better to use.

body - Use perle. Hauby arguably better but you gunna want the haste bonus from 5/5 set. WS in Osode.

hands - Perle for TP. Probably alky's (Or pallas is low on gil) for ws.

lring - Looks fine to me.

rring - Possibly upgrade to higher str ring on ws, but again if you have gil only.

back - Amemet will do fine, get a smil+1 for ws

waist - Swift on tp, warwolf on ws. Easy ^^

legs - Perle for TP, work on shura legs or so for ws.

feet - Perle for TP & WS works fine.

Once you are ready to upgrade from this, the standard has usually been fume feet, b.haidate legs, dusk hands, hauby & walahra turban for main 5 armor slots in TP. However I'm not over knowledgeable of the new gear.. I personally don't like the look of the tern stuff <_< Hope this helps a little

inb4lolperlesam

Edit: Rose strap btw..
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-08-10 21:29:56  
From your current stuff
Best TP setup

Best WS setup

give or take perle body or osode depending on what you're fighting

Try to get sea gorget, brutal earring, pants with more STR
a backpiece like foragers/cerb mantle
bushi earring would be good, also thew bomblet
get a belt with STR like warwolf belt
as for str hands like alky/pallas bracelets, you can easily farm those by urself or with a friend or buy them off the AH
although hagun is still decent, try looking into a magian gkt like dracondria suggested.
As for merits 5/5 overwhelm is a must
also 5/5 store tp is a must
But usually people do
5/5 store tp
5/5 meditate recast
5/5 overwhelm
4/5 blade bash
1/5 shikikoyo or full 5/5 blade bash
but in terms of ikishoten/shikikoyo/blade bash it really depends what you're doing mostly with your sam
then one day maybe you can gear to look like this(give or take better items)
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2010-08-10 22:01:30  
There's all kinds of places you could work to improve your melee and WS sets, it's just a matter of where you want to focus your FFXI time.

Sea and Salvage are two areas you could find equipment that would be helpful. Justice Torque, Snow Gorget, Light Gorget, Brutal Earring, AF+1 pants, and AF+1 kote are all equipment from Sea or Limbus that would be beneficial.
Usukane feet and Usukane body are two very desirable items for SAM from Salvage.
Then, you could consider tweaking your accessories with Black Tathlum or Thew Bomblet, Strigoi Ring, Goading Belt, and/or Bushinomimi.
A couple other hard-to-acquire items may interest you: Hachiryu Haidate and Nocturnus Mail.

I think your gear is off to a good start. I hope this information piques your interest in a few of the suggested items. Regardless, remember that playing SAM is so much more than your equipment, no matter what the basement-dwellers tell you. Knowing how to manage your enmity, knowing how and when to skillchain, knowing how to switch from offense to defense using Hasso and Seigan, knowing how to utilize Store TP to maximize your WeaponSkills ... all of these are so much important than your equipment.

Good luck!

[+]
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2010-08-10 22:02:19  
Only problem with full Perle on SAM is that you cannot have a 6hit build without using Rose Strap, or gimping a lot of other accuracy places for Bushido Cape, Chiv Chain, White Tathlum, Ecphoria Ring etc.

Without Byakko's Haidate you can just use Turban, Fuma and Dusk gloves for 11% Haste while wearing Shinimusha haidate as the key piece to maintain 6hit.

On paper it is better but full Perle isn't a bad choice regardless as it's overall stats cannot be ignored.

Merit choices have been covered above, but I personally went with 5/5 Blade Bash as having it as a 5 minute timer is a god send for me as it saves lives, Shikikoyo is good but most jobs will be /SAM mostly anyway so that's faded somewhat.
 Gilgamesh.Gabvanstronger
サーバ: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Gabvanstronger 2010-08-10 22:09:35  
@Volkom 6Hit TP Setup <Where?>
Get Rose Strap instead of Pole grip at least if STP if full merit so you get 5 hit

Shura Haidate better than Perle Brayettes for WS (STR+5 Acc+7) (Harder to get tho.. I dont have mine .. -.-)
Warwolf belt better than Swift belt for WS
Smil+1 better than Amemet +1 for WS
Other pieces are good
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Gabvanstronger
サーバ: Gilgamesh
By Gilgamesh.Gabvanstronger 2010-08-10 22:11:46  
Ok the other set u put is godlike *___*
 Quetzalcoatl.Volkom
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: volkom
By Quetzalcoatl.Volkom 2010-08-10 23:39:23  
Gilgamesh.Gabvanstronger said:
Ok the other set u put is godlike *___*
lol ^^b
 Siren.Clinpachi
サーバ: Siren
user: Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-08-10 23:41:19  
Great Katana TP/WS:

Polearm TP/WS:

Would be my personal goals as of the 80 cap.
 Sylph.Kimble
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Kimble 2010-08-10 23:48:33  
Well, not sure why you are using Aces helm on GKT TP but other than that, looks good.

Still cant support full Usu on polearm sam though. If you have an Aces, might as well use that and mix and match.
 Bismarck.Maxse
user: maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2010-08-10 23:53:59  
My advice is give up sam with that gimp gear, and level a job that can take full advantage of ah gear like drg or drk.
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2010-08-11 00:02:03  
Bismarck.Maxse said:
My advice is give up sam with that gimp gear, and level a job that can take full advantage of ah gear like drg or drk.

Yeah, because you started the game with awesome gear right?

Don't be a douche.
[+]
 Bismarck.Maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2010-08-11 00:04:15  
Sylph.Kimble said:
Bismarck.Maxse said:

Don't be a douche.

No, but i didnt start the game with a gear dependent job like sam. I played the game with an ahable job, I'm tired of all the bandwagoon sams with the terrible gear. Don't like my opinion? Too bad I'm giving you it anyway.
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2010-08-11 00:07:30  
Bismarck.Maxse said:
Sylph.Kimble said:
Bismarck.Maxse said:

Don't be a douche.

No, but i didnt start the game with a gear dependent job like sam. I played the game with an ahable job, I'm tired of all the bandwagoon sams with the terrible gear. Don't like my opinion? Too bad I'm giving you it anyway.

Hey, he is coming here and asking for advice on what he can use till he gets better gear. Thats better than most of the bandwagon SAMs.

Every job is gear dependent. They all have the same better choices now from the AH due to level 80 cap.
[+]
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Loltron
By Fenrir.Gimmeurselables 2010-08-11 00:09:19  
Telling someone to give up a job they JUST leveled up because they haven't obtained the best gear yet is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard, and you should be ashamed of how lame you are Maxse.
[+]
 Bismarck.Maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2010-08-11 00:13:27  
Fenrir.Gimmeurselables said:
Telling someone to give up a job they JUST leveled up because they haven't obtained the best gear yet is about the dumbest thing I have ever heard, and you should be ashamed of how lame you are Maxse.

No, I said he should level a job that is good with ah gear like dark or dragoon before he levels a job that needs good gear to be played properly. And why the hell would I be ashamed of telling someone how I feel?
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Loltron
By Fenrir.Gimmeurselables 2010-08-11 00:15:40  
Bismarck.Maxse said:
Fenrir.Gimmeurselables said:

No, I said he should level a job that is good with ah gear like dark or dragoon before he levels a job that needs good gear to be played properly. And why the hell would I be ashamed of telling someone how I feel?
You should be ashamed of how lamed you looked while telling someone how you felt lol. Btw Drk and Drg aren't very good at all with just AH gear either.

EDIT: Well I guess with full Perle Drg was good now right? Hmm not sure didn't do the update.

EDIT2: But seriously what kind of fool only levels a job towards what gear they have, that takes all the fun out of playing the job you want to play.
[+]
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2010-08-11 00:16:57  
Maxse is basically just being a douche and trying to ***up threads asking for advice so just ignore it.
[+]
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-08-11 00:18:58  
Sylph.Kimble said:
Well, not sure why you are using Aces helm on GKT TP but other than that, looks good.

Still cant support full Usu on polearm sam though. If you have an Aces, might as well use that and mix and match.
aces > turban when acc isn't capped... which if you do anything in HNM or Abyssea it isn't... period.

5/5 Usukane turns out better on FFXICalc than mix and match as well but i would have to test both to say for sure.

5/5 Usu haste set effect + 5 hit is pretty hard to beat.
[+]
 Sylph.Kimble
By Sylph.Kimble 2010-08-11 00:24:22  
Siren.Clinpachi said:
Sylph.Kimble said:

aces > turban when acc isn't capped... which if you do anything in HNM or Abyssea it isn't... period.

5/5 Usukane turns out better on FFXICalc than mix and match as well but i would have to test both to say for sure.

Your acc has to be pretty low for it to beat out the 1% haste though.

I basically use my regular TP set I use for GKT but change out Foragers to Cuch, Bushi to Hollow and if needed Turban to Aces and have had no acc problems.
[+]
By Saiii 2010-08-11 00:28:18  
Siren.Clinpachi said:
Sylph.Kimble said:

If your acc isn't capped and you need 7 acc to cap it, (as your build indicates), then drop the Torque and aim for the 12 Acc neck.

Dropping haste for acc is HELP I AM TRAPPED IN 2006 PLEASE SEND A TIME MACHINE when you haven't even capped it out in other slots.
[+]
 Pandemonium.Ironguy
サーバ: Pandemonium
user: Ironguy
By Pandemonium.Ironguy 2010-08-11 00:28:49  
Use Walahra Turban during TP unless your accuracy is definitely below 90% and you're without haste(spell/marches).

Also, Brutal Earring is a full time thing for weapon skills, period, bar for Asuran Fists; remove Bushinomimi during the day for Vulcan's, Vampire Earring during the night over Vulcan's.

One more thing: Fortis Mantle over Cerberus Mantle +1 for at least Gekko (even though myself, I'll probably end up using it on all three regardless).
[+]
 Bismarck.Maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2010-08-11 00:32:25  
I wouldn't bother telling cuntpachi how to gear, hes a hopeless nub.
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-08-11 00:34:16  
I mean i guess i should have really noted obvious situational is obvious... aces/torque obvious vary on acc as well as everything else.

The sets list my general conception for what i personally use and is in no way "wrong".
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-11 00:34:33  
Bismarck.Maxse said:

Yeah, every new player should always start as BLM or WHM since you're less likely yo get criticized. Infallible logic.

@OP

You have STP merited so that's a good start. You need 11STP for a 6hit with Hagun, or 12-13 for true 6hit. So as of now, you can achieve that through your haidate, rajas ring alone. So you could use Turban/Dusk/Shinimusha/Fuma for haste. A better option would be to get Rose strap and use chiv chain/ecphoria so you can wear full perle for higher haste until you get Byakko's.
[+]
 Siren.Clinpachi
By Siren.Clinpachi 2010-08-11 00:35:02  
Bismarck.Maxse said:
I wouldn't bother telling cuntpachi how to gear, hes a hopeless nub.
Note to self, disagreeing with said person in 1 forum topic makes me a nub in his eyes for the rest of my life.

Oh so sad... please excuse me while i blow my nose.
[+]
 Caitsith.Linear
サーバ: Caitsith
By Caitsith.Linear 2010-08-11 00:36:19  
Pandemonium.Ironguy said:
Use Walahra Turban during TP unless your accuracy is definitely below 90% and you're without haste(spell/marches).

You're a bit off.

90% ACC and it still beats Walahra with marches+hasso+Haste Spell.

64% Haste Total. (19% from gear w/ turban)

+7 Accuracy
3.5/90= 3.8%

+1% Haste
1/36= 2.7%
[+]
 Bismarck.Maxse
By Bismarck.Maxse 2010-08-11 00:38:59  
Ifrit.Darkanaseur said:
Bismarck.Maxse said:

Yeah, every new player should always start as BLM or WHM since you're less likely yo get criticized. Infallible logic.

@OP

You have STP merited so that's a good start. You need 11STP for a 6hit with Hagun, or 12-13 for true 6hit. So as of now, you can achieve that through your haidate, rajas ring alone. So you could use Turban/Dusk/Shinimusha/Fuma for haste. A better option would be to get Rose strap and use chiv chain/ecphoria so you can wear full perle for higher haste until you get Byakko's.

STFU god damn mick.
[+]
 Ifrit.Darkanaseur
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Darkanaseur 2010-08-11 00:43:13  
Boy you sure owned me.
[+]
First Page 2 3