New Forum Mod
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
サーバ: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-09-13 22:47:42  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Of course sometimes you get the real fun days, when a user you just banned drives across the country and tries to smash through your office window with a cinder block, carrying a 14" knife. (True story.) You quickly come to hate and/or fear just about every player you ever speak to.

i always appreciate the people who are crazy enough to sacrifice themselves to

keep that tiny stab of fear in people with positions of power

i like to think it helps discourage people from pushing their power too far
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
サーバ: Phoenix
user: AnnaMolly
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-09-13 22:48:56  
Alexander.Xgalahadx said:

That real? That's kinda cool.
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Jaerik
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-13 22:49:50  
The other problem with being a GM is that it permanently ruins the suspension of disbelief. Once you can turn off gravity, create epic weapons at will, teleport anywhere, and slay anything with a command, the world changes.

There's no longer any difference in your head between an ice crystal and an Excalibur. No difference between Ultimate Virtue and an orc pawn. Or a level 75 and a level 4 player. It's just a number, tweakable with a command without any fanfare.

Of course, if you do any of those things to benefit yourself or friends, you're fired without a second thought. So you're always acutely aware of this contrived and ultimately paper-thin "bubble" of value and investment surrounding the user experience in the game. Which then grates on you when a level 75 player with an epic weapon talks to you like he deserves your time and help more than anyone else.

It ruins the game for you as a player, and if you're not really careful, it can permanently ruin all MMO's for you forever.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2010-09-13 22:51:27  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
The other problem with being a GM is that it permanently ruins the suspension of disbelief. Once you can turn off gravity, create epic weapons at will, teleport anywhere, and slay anything with a command, the world changes.

There's no longer any difference in your head between an ice crystal and an Excalibur. No difference between Ultimate Virtue and an orc pawn. Or a level 75 and a level 4 player. It's just a number, tweakable with a command without any fanfare.

Of course, if you do any of those things to benefit yourself or friends, you're fired without a second thought. So you're always acutely aware of this contrived and ultimately paper-thin "bubble" of value and investment surrounding the user experience in the game. Which then grates on you when a level 75 player with an epic weapon talks to you like he deserves your time and help more than anyone else.

It ruins the game for you as a player, and if you're not really careful, it can permanently ruin all MMO's for you forever.

i would imagine working as a programmer/dev would likely have a similar effect
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-13 22:53:52  
I feel bad kinda monopolizing Krizz's GRATS 4 MOD thread with Jaerik Q&A time, so if someone wants to start another thread, that's fine.
[+]
 Alexander.Xgalahadx
サーバ: Alexander
user: xgalahadx
By Alexander.Xgalahadx 2010-09-13 22:54:39  
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Alexander.Xgalahadx said:

That real? That's kinda cool.
It seems to be. I pulled it from a ffxiv forum, but looks legit.
 Bahamut.Enalia
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Enalia
By Bahamut.Enalia 2010-09-13 22:54:55  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Flionheart said:
Was the power intoxicating? or was it pretty boring?
It's incredibly intoxicating for about 72 hours, but that's it.

GM's are cogs. At least back then, they were low-paid ($9/hr, no benefits) folks all about 18-22 years old. They were also expendable. There were hundreds of resumes on file for every open GM position, and if a GM stepped even a tiny bit out of line, they were usually fired on the first offense. Easier just to replace them.

They had no communication with the dev team, and in fact are usually prohibited by company policy from even speaking to them. They also had virtually no leeway in how to handle each situation, required to follow a manual at all times.

The job is thankless, stressful, and unrewarding, but can serve as a stepping stone into the industry if you don't hang yourself first.

Of course sometimes you get the real fun days, when a user you just banned drives across the country and tries to smash through your office window with a cinder block, carrying a 14" knife. (True story.) You quickly come to hate and/or fear just about every player you ever speak to.

I always figured the job of GM was pretty crappy, due to all the people getting angry about blah blah, but oh my gosh D=

Grats Krizz!
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-09-13 22:55:21  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
I feel bad kinda monopolizing Krizz's GRATS 4 MOD thread with Jaerik Q&A time, so if someone wants to start another thread, that's fine.

Wait, one thing.. Do you smoke weed?
 Bahamut.Stanflame
user: Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-09-13 22:56:31  
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

i always appreciate the people who are crazy enough to sacrifice themselves to

keep that tiny stab of fear in people with positions of power

i like to think it helps discourage people from pushing their power too far

If you sign a tos and break said rules it makes you look like one hell of a bigger idiot to be grabbing a knife or throwing a sindar block in a companies window.

Grats to krizz, if we keep grats krizz there should be no issue.
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-09-13 22:58:21  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

Oh that reminds me of the crap in eve online that made me quit.... never looked back, cheating GM's, and that guy was not even fired..
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-09-13 22:58:50  
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:

>_>
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-13 22:59:56  
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Nope, but that's more because I don't get the point of inhaling burning anything, not due to any problem with pot itself.
[+]
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-09-13 23:00:18  
Bahamut.Stanflame said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
>_>

I'm just curious.
 Phoenix.Kojo
Forum Moderator
By Phoenix.Kojo 2010-09-13 23:00:48  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
Phoenix.Kojo said:
Nope but that's more because I don't get the point of inhaling burning anything, not due to any problem with pot itself.

Then how the hell are you sane?
 Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Sect
By Quetzalcoatl.Sectumsempra 2010-09-13 23:01:23  
I'm going to make a topic for questions for you guys, if that's okay.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Jaerik
Administrator
By Lakshmi.Jaerik 2010-09-13 23:01:43  
Go for it, don't wanna steal Krizz's thunder any more.
[+]
 Bahamut.Stanflame
By Bahamut.Stanflame 2010-09-13 23:02:00  
See smoking is for weeboo's.
 Asura.Luelle
サーバ: Asura
user: Luelle
By Asura.Luelle 2010-09-13 23:10:47  
My son....a moderator.... I'm so proud!
Grats Krizz!
 Ramuh.Krizz
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2010-09-13 23:26:06  
Lol, thanks everyone.

Jaerik, I didn't mind the Q&A. I enjoyed it.
[+]
 Asura.Abriannah
user: Abrianna
By Asura.Abriannah 2010-09-14 02:45:48  
Congratulations Krizz!! =))

Asura.Meowzma
user: meowzma
By Asura.Meowzma 2010-09-14 04:15:19  
I feel a bit late but, grats Krizz mate, well deserved.
 Cerberus.Kalyna
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Kalyna 2010-09-14 07:45:18  
A bit late here as well.

Gratz Krizz!!!

It's so weird seeing a green bar when i see your posts lol

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
 Sylph.Beelshamen
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Beelshamen 2010-09-14 07:49:14  
Lakshmi.Jaerik said:
And I wish banning someone was that epic. It's pretty anti-climactic. I just un-check a box in your account settings and it's over.

The meaning of life... has been revealed.
First Page 2 3 4 5 6 7 8