Hidden Characters - Please Read
First Page 2
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
サーバ: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Scragg
By Fenrir.Scragg 2011-01-07 16:28:28  
If you have a character marked as hidden, please read. To find out if your character is marked as hidden, please check this page:

http://www.ffxiah.com/members/chars

I want to remove the hidden option. If you don't know what the hidden option does, just read the graphic above. If you have a hidden character, you have 2 options. You can unhide it or unlink it. After January, all hidden characters will be automatically unlinked.

The feature has created coding hurdles and I don't think it's worth having anymore.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-01-07 16:32:39  
Wait a min...

Is this why it appears that certain people are anons, but in order to post you have to have a linked character?

That would explain a lot and also, yes get rid of this feature if it's a pain in the ***. Not really needed.

[+]

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Sylph.Zefyr
サーバ: Sylph
user: Zefyr
By Sylph.Zefyr 2011-01-07 17:08:31  
Pandemonium.Spicyryan said:
On a side note. For my default account, the Pandemonium one. I can not change the AH history from 100 to 0. I have it set to 0 items displayed yet it still has 100 showing. Since I am not using that AH it is only an annoyance.

When you set your AH history to 0, that is only used for when other people look at your profile. When you're logged in, you can always see your own AH history. That feature is simply meant for people that want to hide what they're buying/selling from being easily discoverable by other people.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Shiva.Flionheart
サーバ: Shiva
By Shiva.Flionheart 2011-01-07 17:34:34  
Good idea. Kinda has a dual purpose too, people will have to have accounts linked now and visible.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Shayala
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: Shayala
By Gilgamesh.Shayala 2011-01-07 17:54:54  
I have 3 characters linked but had no idea there was even an option to hide the other two, they are unhidden now.
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-01-07 17:59:56  

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Wait a min...

Is this why it appears that certain people are anons, but in order to post you have to have a linked character?

That would explain a lot and also, yes get rid of this feature if it's a pain in the ***. Not really needed.

Hell yeah. If the "hidden" character function is adding unnecessary anonymity to posters, and also weighing down the website's functionality, then yes please, get rid of it.
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2011-01-07 18:02:43  
Bismarck.Elanabelle said:

Leviathan.Chaosx said:
Wait a min...

Hell yeah. If the "hidden" character function is adding unnecessary anonymity to posters, and also weighing down the website's functionality, then yes please, get rid of it.
Hellz yeah.

Awesomeness of FFXIAH > being Anon.
[+]
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
By Fenrir.Scragg 2011-01-07 18:25:02  
It has less to do with speed of the site or memory usage and more to do with development time of implementing features while maintaining the hidden character level of anonymity. For example, the mbox page where each character and username has it's own separate inbox and the block function that blocks characters instead of just blocking the user (and all the characters linked to it).

Quote:
I obviously have no hidden characters, but speaking for people who may miss this thread. Could you just unhide everyone rather than just unlink hidden accounts after January?

I don't want to unhide them because it would be unfair to users that assumed the feature was permanent. In a week or so I will send out emails to users that still have hidden chars. Anyone is still able to re-verify an unlinked character.
[+]
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
By Fenrir.Scragg 2011-01-11 16:35:10  
Still 36,155 hidden characters.
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2011-01-11 16:59:17  
Unhid my bazaar. I didn't even know it was hidden.
[+]
 Valefor.Forgotten
サーバ: Valefor
user: Forg
By Valefor.Forgotten 2011-01-11 17:00:19  
Couldn't the hide option just be watered down instead of total removal? Maybe just lose anon posting and separate emails and all that while keeping my mules from showing on my account page when people click me? Just curious.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2011-02-07 16:11:19  
Why am I getting the message about my character being hidden on the left side bar when my character options say it's not hidden?
[+]
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
By Fenrir.Scragg 2011-02-07 16:14:05  
Lakshmi.Aurilius said:
Why am I getting the message about my character being hidden on the left side bar when my character options say it's not hidden?

You do: http://www.ffxiah.com/user/Aurilius (You have 2 chars registered with us)

[+]
 Bahamut.Lolserj
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Andras
By Bahamut.Lolserj 2011-02-07 16:16:44  
i got the same thing too and i unhid my chars
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2011-02-07 16:18:20  
Yeah all of my information for hidden options is selected as no per my account page.

http://www.ffxiah.com/members/chars?char_id=1723851

So I'm not sure why I am shown as hidden. I've had it set this way the entire time my account has been active.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-02-07 16:21:27  
That link resolves to the main page for me.
[+]
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
By Fenrir.Scragg 2011-02-07 16:21:29  
Lakshmi.Aurilius said:
Yeah all of my information for hidden options is selected as no per my account page.

http://www.ffxiah.com/members/chars?char_id=1723851

So I'm not sure why I am shown as hidden. I've had it set this way the entire time my account has been active.

Your Lakshmi character is fine. It's your Garuda.Aurilius character that needs to be addressed. Characters marked as non-main was defaulted to hidden a long time ago.
[+]
 Lakshmi.Aurilius
By Lakshmi.Aurilius 2011-02-07 16:25:07  
I haven't used the Garuda account since the server merger. Shouldn't Garuda characters be purged anyway?

I tried deleting the Garuda character and it told me the server name didn't match. *Edit* Figured it out.
[+]
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
By Fenrir.Scragg 2011-02-07 16:29:31  
Lakshmi.Aurilius said:
I haven't used the Garuda account since the server merger. Shouldn't Garuda characters be purged anyway?

There are people that would like to keep their old characters linked. There are several private messages, forum posts, and comments associated with those characters. Some put in their comment where they moved to or if they quit or not. I let the user decide if they wish to unlink it.
[+]
 Asura.Nalien
サーバ: Asura
user: juro
By Asura.Nalien 2011-02-07 17:09:15  
I feel heavily offended in my privacy.
[+]
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
By Fenrir.Scragg 2011-02-07 17:28:33  
Asura.Nalien said:
I feel heavily offended in my privacy.

If a char says (hidden) on the user page, only you should be able to see it. So in other words, it is still "hidden". Just unlink it or unhide it.
[+]
 Valefor.Forgotten
By Valefor.Forgotten 2011-02-07 17:43:41  
Would be nice to still not show my mules as "mine" and hide mule sales history, don't need ability to post under multiple names or multiple inbox. If my mules are unlinked I can't set their sales history to not display. if I make a 2nd account for my mules I can't easily view them without logging out and back in.
[+]
 Fenrir.Scragg
Administrator
By Fenrir.Scragg 2011-02-07 17:50:59  
Valefor.Forgotten said:
Would be nice to still not show my mules as "mine" and hide mule sales history, don't need ability to post under multiple names or multiple inbox. If my mules are unlinked I can't set their sales history to not display. if I make a 2nd account for my mules I can't easily view them without logging out and back in.

If you set it to zero and unlink. They should stay at zero.
[+]
 Valefor.Forgotten
By Valefor.Forgotten 2011-02-07 17:53:17  
Thats good. But what about if I make a new mule in the future? Also still the problem that I wouldn't be able to see them either, kind of kills the entire point of using the website to check my sales.

I understand if its just to problematic, but I'm hopin.
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2011-02-07 19:23:12  
Fenrir.Scragg said:
Characters marked as non-main was defaulted to hidden a long time ago.
Well this explains why my mule was set to hidden (I had no idea), but I still don't understand what having a hidden character actually does anyway?
[+]

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Caitsith.Neonracer
サーバ: Caitsith
user: Neonracer
By Caitsith.Neonracer 2011-02-07 22:47:52  
Well then, I guess that means too that we will all know where ppl are truly from too, geographically speaking, ( meaning that you can't keep changing flags either????)

No need for anonamitity!
[+]
First Page 2