フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Guillotine help
Guillotine help
First Page 2
 Quetzalcoatl.Mushashi
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: Mushashi
By Quetzalcoatl.Mushashi 2011-01-17 14:09:53  
I never intended to take drk to 90. Main goal was to get it so I can do a Maat fight. But I had an opportunity to get it to 90 and I took it. So now I am enjoying it alittle bit.

The question is, in Dynamis-Beaucedine I noticed my Guillotine damage fluctuated drastically. From a high of 1900 to a low of 500. Most of the ws damage lingered in the 500-800 range. I think that is pretty poor especially for level 90. On my sam the damage was always above 1k. I have a good mix of acc/str gear so I don't think it's an issue. Only thing I can think of is scythe skill. It's a bit gimped, but I've been working at skilling it up.

What am I doing wrong? I'm using a Dire Scythe with 103 dmg and all my gear is pretty decent I think. Any input would be appreciated. Otherwise I might just hang-it up on drk =\
[+]
 Luz
By Luz 2011-01-17 14:12:35  
Post sets using [ itemset ] [ /itemset ]

Take the spaces out between the brackets and the words.
 Asura.Dameshi
Forum Moderator
Bug Hunter
サーバ: Asura
user: dameshi
By Asura.Dameshi 2011-01-17 14:13:39  
If you're getting large fluctuations you're probably missing hits on the ws. Did you check your tp returns on the low ones? Finish skilling up scythe then try again, it will definitely be better.

Keep in mind attack plays a big roll with guillotine.
 Bismarck.Tuvae
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Tuv
By Bismarck.Tuvae 2011-01-17 14:15:59  
Had the same problem buddy, ive had some upgrades since i posted this but, hopefully will help you ^^

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/16063/guillotine-set-up-amidoingirwrong/
[+]
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2011-01-17 14:29:41  
I'd gear more for Attack/STR
 Bahamut.Satanas
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Satanas
By Bahamut.Satanas 2011-01-17 14:34:13  
Skill does have lots to do with it also, it is a *** to skill up but its worth if you are having fun with DRK.
 Ragnarok.Returner
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Nameless
By Ragnarok.Returner 2011-01-17 14:36:04  
First of all, in dynamis, mob lvls are different. The beginning mobs are usually lower lvls, and the later mobs are higher lvls. Therefore, your attack obviously plays a bigger role in later mobs. And as a SAM, your WSs have ratio bonus, which essentially doubles your attack, making it capped on almost anything inside dynamis. That's why you see a higher average, tho guillotine will usually have higher end numbers.

I would gear more towards attack. Gimped scythe skill obviously doesn't help cuz skill is also attack. But I think food, and buff from either brd or cor will make your guillotine numbers more consistent.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-01-17 15:07:34  
Ragnarok.Returner said:
But I think food, and buff from either brd or cor will make your guillotine numbers more consistent.

Also, try using primevil brew. I bet that will make your numbers more consistent.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-01-17 15:12:05  
All jokes aside: putting the minimal effort required into getting bale pants +1 and a bale choker will solve many problems for most "fresh off the AH, perle drks" The combination of STR with acc/att on these pieces makes it worlds easier than deciding between two pieces.

Bale boots are not particularly hard to get either, as a side note.
 Quetzalcoatl.Mushashi
By Quetzalcoatl.Mushashi 2011-01-17 16:31:42  
Thanks for the input guys. I'll try out different gear and work on skilling up my scythe >.>

Here is my current set-up. Can't get the item set thing to work so I'll wing it.

main: Dire Scythe aug +4dmg
sub: Pole Grip
ammo: Fire Bomblet
head: Bale +1
neck: PCC
l.ear: Assault Earring
r.ear: Brutal
body: Hauberk +1
hands: Perle
l.ring: Rajas
r.ring: Ulthalam's
back: Cuchu
waist: Swift / Warwolf aug +3acc +16hp
legs: Homam
feet: Perle

I would think with this setup that acc is good. But i guess i need to focus more on maybe str/att gear to get those numbers up. I have 4/5 on STR merits.

Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2011-01-17 16:33:49  
Change feet, legs, right ring, hands, neck and probably head. Definitely scythe too. Depending on food/acc you could use Grim Cuirass too.
 Bahamut.Satanas
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Satanas
By Bahamut.Satanas 2011-01-17 16:53:46  
Well that seems more like your TP set than your WS set. Do you have one? If you dont wish to go for trial scythes, Woeborn/Darklinn/Twilight scythe are good choices that are drops from NM's. My suggestions for WS are... Champions galea for head(unless your using it for something else) neck would be bale choker, or snow gorget, r.ring for a str ring +5-7. Switch your back to forager's/atheling, warwolf is good for waist, sentry has a bit more acc and is relatively cheap now, its a minor upgrade. Legs and feet I would recommend working on Bale set. I still suggest trying to finish skilling up as imo is what will make a better difference and can switch gear around having the extra accuracy.
 Fenrir.Gradd
サーバ: Fenrir
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-01-17 17:26:23  
This is my Guillotine set if it helps, Altho I don't touch scythe anymore.

Quetzalcoatl.Mushashi
By Quetzalcoatl.Mushashi 2011-01-17 17:47:30  
Thanks for the suggestions. Thats my TP set. Not much changes for ws unfortunately. I swap out Ulthalam's for Spiral Ring (more of a Spinning Slash piece...), neck for Chiv Chain and body for Heca harness.

Sentry and Aethling pieces look hot! I'll def work on Bale +1 legs. Seems to be the best leg piece w/o spending a ton of gil. As for the Scythe, I'll work on Twilight since i only need Rani win to get in @.@

It's tough for me to gear up 1 specific job really well as I like playing many jobs. So I have to look at gear that works well with all the types I play...

Would switching my back piece from Cuchu to Forager's make a huge diff? The extra att would really help I can understand. But the acc on Cuchu prob would help land some hits.
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-01-17 17:52:30  
I would stick to forager's do you have Razed Ruins and all Furtherance Abyssite? You should have Capped ACC in all situations with those two things (outside of abyssea your capped everywhere)Stick with forager's mantle until you get Atheling, Cuch isnt as good as it used to be.
 Quetzalcoatl.Mushashi
By Quetzalcoatl.Mushashi 2011-01-17 17:56:38  
I do have RR but not the other one. Here is my TP and WS setup. Finally figured out item sets :D

TP Set

WS Set

Dire Scythe aug is : dmg+4 and Zanshin+3
Warwolf aug is: acc+3 and HP+16
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-01-17 18:02:25  
WS in Haub +1 not hecatomb Body, Guillotine will get more out of the Attack than the STR from hecatomb, Also yea switch to foragers for both TP and WS, work on AF legs, and yea other that that your build looks solid no complaints from me.

Hecatomb is really more of a Spinning Slash/Ground Strike body because both are pre buffed with an attack boost.

Highly recommend working on a Weaponskill Gorget as well.
 Phoenix.Fredjan
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2011-01-17 18:05:21  
Varangian Helm
 Quetzalcoatl.Mushashi
By Quetzalcoatl.Mushashi 2011-01-17 18:08:51  
Thanks Gradd. I'll pick up a Foragers and ditch Heca. Guess that piece is seriously dated these days...

I'll look into the ws gorgets. Always hated bloody sea with a passion and avoided like the plague.
 Quetzalcoatl.Mushashi
By Quetzalcoatl.Mushashi 2011-01-17 18:10:12  
Phoenix.Fredjan said:
Varangian Helm

Wont the -acc on Varangian hurt a multi-hit ws? I still want that piece for my sam so I'll go whip that squid soon.
[+]
 Fenrir.Gradd
By Fenrir.Gradd 2011-01-17 18:12:21  
Phoenix.Fredjan said:
Varangian Helm

I'll counter you with a Twilight helm! Very easy to get, altho im being lazy about mine.
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2011-01-17 18:24:33  
Quetzalcoatl.Mushashi said:
Phoenix.Fredjan said:
Varangian Helm

Wont the -acc on Varangian hurt a multi-hit ws? I still want that piece for my sam so I'll go whip that squid soon.

Depending on your accuracy, yes, but you should be good on accuracy with food on pretty much anything.
 Phoenix.Fredjan
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2011-01-17 19:23:38  
Twilight helm is better, yes (mods), but Varangian is an (almost) instant upgrade.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-01-18 07:52:07  
Quetzalcoatl.Mushashi said:
I do have RR but not the other one. Here is my TP and WS setup. Finally figured out item sets :D TP Set WS Set Dire Scythe aug is : dmg+4 and Zanshin+3 Warwolf aug is: acc+3 and HP+16
perle pants would be better even than homam for ws but i stand by my bale +1 being easy to get comment.
 Fenrir.Mistmonster
By Fenrir.Mistmonster 2011-01-19 15:46:55  
Hate to piggy back on this thread (but don't think it right to make another one!) but how about these two set?

TP

WS

Anything you would change, what should I work on? (not really interested in doing weapon trials for drk just yet) oh I only have on other item I need for snow.. being lazy ...
 Bismarck.Dracondria
By Bismarck.Dracondria 2011-01-19 15:50:40  
Personally I'd change the head to Varangian and hands to maybe.. Heafoc or Alkys, depending on accuracy needs.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-01-19 15:58:12  
Fenrir.Mistmonster said:
Hate to piggy back on this thread (but don't think it right to make another one!) but how about these two set? TP WS Anything you would change, what should I work on? (not really interested in doing weapon trials for drk just yet) oh I only have on other item I need for snow.. being lazy ...

This is literally my setup save for tping in timarli and ws'ing in twilight head. Oh and uther's grip.
 Cerberus.Zandra
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Zandra7
By Cerberus.Zandra 2011-01-19 16:03:14  

This is my general setup, and is pretty good.

Generally before the cap increase, the most common cause of fluctuating Guillotine DMG was accuracy, as in you only connected 2-3 of the 4 hits you swung. Now a days with RR and such higher skill levels, i would try to stack as much att and str as possible assuming your skill and accuracy is high enough to ensure you're not missing any hits.

In dyna tho accuracy REALLY should be any issue. I would still feel confident dropping my Champion's Gaela and putting on my V. Helm (-48 acc).

Other than that I dunno what to tell you, Guillotine is a really shitty WS.

/cry
 Asura.Andradi
サーバ: Asura
user: Andradi
By Asura.Andradi 2011-01-19 17:04:56  
Ragnarok.Ashman said:
This is literally my setup save for tping in timarli and ws'ing in twilight head. Oh and uther's grip.

Don't use uther's grip, it's bad.
 Phoenix.Michelob
user: Michelob
By Phoenix.Michelob 2011-01-19 17:21:21  
Fenrir.Mistmonster said:
Hate to piggy back on this thread (but don't think it right to make another one!) but how about these two set?

TP

WS

Anything you would change, what should I work on? (not really interested in doing weapon trials for drk just yet) oh I only have on other item I need for snow.. being lazy ...

Should be working on Ace's Hose, and Timarli or Bale body for TP. Ace's Hose and Timarli Body are both easy to get. Goading or Velocious Belt would be nice although a little bit more effort is required for those. Work on +2s if you can, obviously.

For WS, Twilight Helm and Anguinus Belt are both upgrades which are easy to get.
First Page 2