Random Thoughts.....What Are You Thinking?

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Undead » Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
Random Thoughts.....What are you thinking?
First Page 2 3 ... 21617 21618 21619 ... 22566 22567 22568
 Garuda.Chanti
サーバ: Garuda
Game: FFXI
user: Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2019-12-15 13:05:05  
Freehugs said: »
I'm not even sure where to get Swordfish lol Fish isn't something I crave. I rarely had it growing up so I guess that's why. I do enjoy Salmon cakes though.
Where did you grow up? And there are lots of better ways to cook salmon than salmon cakes.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2019-12-15 13:06:57  
Paged!!

Garlic butter baked salmon.
[+]
By Josiahafk 2019-12-15 13:32:28  
I'm not even sure where to get Swordfish lol Fish isn't something I crave. I rarely had it growing up so I guess that's why. I do enjoy Salmon cakes though.
I feel ya. living in like the smack dab norther middle of the continent so all the seafood that reaches here is frozen or caught fresh from little lakes nearby lol

mmm fresh pickeral cheeks, so tender.
By Jetackuu 2019-12-15 13:42:40  
Jet doesn't eat fish.

A family member used to make Salmon cakes all the time, one way to get me to wretch.

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.

Post deleted by User.
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2019-12-15 16:01:25  
I'm having shrimp scampi and I don't share.
 Bismarck.Josiahflaming
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Josiahafk
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2019-12-15 16:57:40  
[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2019-12-15 18:59:37  
Garuda.Chanti said: »
Where did you grow up? And there are lots of better ways to cook salmon than salmon cakes.
Tennessee....
Tennessee has fish. None of them salt water, true, but lots of fish.

I would bet no one in your family fished.

https://www.aa-fishing.com/tn/tennessee-fishing.html
 Asura.Carrotchan
Leonardo da Clippi
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Carrotchan 2019-12-15 23:26:00  
I bought a zojirushi rice cooker since it was on deal a few days ago and omg I'll never go back, Ryan bought some piece of ***a year ago and all its done is make me hate rice by either burning up or undercooking it
 Bismarck.Josiahflaming
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2019-12-16 01:12:15  
By Josiahafk 2019-12-16 01:15:35  
In the very least we could put a couple mini ships inside to be able to send any amazing samples and data home that they might find, that way even if they perish or run out of supplies, their efforts are still preserved, plus they would eventually die of old age so we'd only need enough batteries/medicine stockpiled to last one human lifetime, and definitely need to sterilize them before they leave so some poor kid isnt stuck in the middle of deep space alone in 50 years lol
 Asura.Vienner
By Asura.Vienner 2019-12-16 02:46:11  
Josiahafk said: »
I feel ya. living in like the smack dab norther middle of the continent so all the seafood that reaches here is frozen or caught fresh from little lakes nearby lol
Couple of years ago we went to Austria and I almost died during that trip cause I didnt concider the lack of fishvariety. I had trout and zander for like 2 weeks straight.
Atm I eat fish everyday, which is a bit to much, starting to feel sick just hearing the word "cod". Looking for tasty alternatives with tofu.

Post deleted by User.
 Ragnarok.Hevans
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2019-12-16 10:41:06  
[+]
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2019-12-16 11:06:28  
Bismarck.Josiahflaming said: »
It wouldn't work because of a simple factor that our plantlife has adapted solely on the distance between our sun and planet.

Take the plants out of the relative safety of our atmosphere and they will wither and die, probably very quickly. I highly doubt that any plants we have on our planet will survive even 1/10th of the way towards Mars or Venus, much less in any sort of deep-space exploration.

Unless you plan on having the plants in an artificial space, but that goes against your premise of using only solar power to feed them.

TL:DR version - it wouldn't work.

Edit: Also, only 2 people in this voyage? You would run the risk of one of them going Dull-Boy-Jack during the voyage. AKA Cabin Fever.
 Bismarck.Josiahflaming
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2019-12-16 11:52:33  
Asura.Kingnobody said: »
Take the plants out of the relative safety of our atmosphere and they will wither and die, probably very quickly.
they already do grow plants on the ISS without earth's atmosphere. And it wouldn't be hard to measure solar intake and modify the glass in the plant area of the space ship to make sure they always get the right amount of sunlight they need etc

Edit: Also, only 2 people in this voyage? You would run the risk of one of them going Dull-Boy-Jack during the voyage. AKA Cabin Fever.
if you have more people, the ship needs to be even more massive to support their food purely from the plants on board and it doesn't become practical

these are married and expert astronauts with years of training on isolation and healthy mental health away from earth etc, humans can easily overcome that kind of thing. there would be space suits to do repairs externally as needed so they would go for space walks regularly.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2019-12-16 12:00:53  
they already do grow plants on the ISS without earth's atmosphere. And it wouldn't be hard to measure solar intake and modify the glass in the plant area of the space ship to make sure they always get the right amount of sunlight they need etc
I'm talking about the distance from the sun and the plants, especially the further away you go.

Photosynthesis happens because the plants adapted to the relative distance between them and the sun. But the further away you go, the less ability to convert energy to food for the plants it becomes.

I'm not talking about atmosphere in that sense. I'm talking about the distance aspect.

if you have more people, the ship needs to be even more massive to support their food purely from the plants on board and it doesn't become practical

these are married and expert astronauts with years of training on isolation and healthy mental health away from earth etc, humans can easily overcome that kind of thing. there would be space suits to do repairs externally as needed so they would go for space walks regularly.
In theory. But in practice, unless you spend decades in isolation or analyzing a couple in isolation, you will never know what the long-term effects would be towards them. Even then, sending a group is not practical for the exact same reason. You may think that people can adapt, but if that's the case, then why do we have insanity?
By ashcrow 2019-12-16 12:02:18  
YouTube Video Placeholder

1:41
i actually played all the game on the right, and only some on the left 2-3, and yea i played them around release date this is depressing :(
 Bismarck.Josiahflaming
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2019-12-16 12:11:33  
but if that's the case, then why do we have insanity?
"people can train to be more resilient"
"if that's true, why do people die every day"
well yeah anything can happen, but all we can do is train and prepare and send up the best candidates for the missions etc

I'm talking about the distance from the sun and the plants, especially the further away you go.
that's why you'd be monitoring the sunlight and adjusting the glass to amplify and lessen it as needed based on your distance. and then you use artificial light for the plants as needed.
 Asura.Kingnobody
Bug Hunter
By Asura.Kingnobody 2019-12-16 12:18:59  
but if that's the case, then why do we have insanity?
"people can train to be more resilient"
"if that's true, why do people die every day"
well yeah anything can happen, but all we can do is train and prepare and send up the best candidates for the missions etc
You are talking about improving the chances of the mission being successful, but it doesn't guarantee the overall success of it.

There are way too many variables associated with deep space exploratory missions, even with our level of technology we can see how much of a risk it would be to send anyone out for that long. But if we are just talking about the mental and emotional strain it would place on a person, there is just not enough information to justify such a mission.

that's why you'd be monitoring the sunlight and adjusting the glass to amplify and lessen it as needed based on your distance. and then you use artificial light for the plants as needed.
You can't amplify sunlight to feed a plant. It's just not possible.

You would either have to create an artificial chamber or...well, that's basically it. You can't use energy that doesn't exist, you have to create it yourself.

Long-story short, you are basing your hypothetical ideals on unknown factors and impossible technology. We have to first solve the energy factor associated with deep-space travel first before we can even attempt to think about what you are talking about.
By Jetackuu 2019-12-16 12:23:30  
Josi to entertain your idea: probably the best solution would be to use a ship that is nuclear powered, probably once we advance more on fusion technology.

Asteroid mining would be very lucrative for natural resources, hell in 100 years we could have an ice maker in orbit dropping cubes to lower our temp.
 Bismarck.Josiahflaming
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2019-12-16 13:13:45  
You can't amplify sunlight to feed a plant. It's just not possible.

You would either have to create an artificial chamber or...well, that's basically it. You can't use energy that doesn't exist, you have to create it yourself.
that would be viable as well, powering artificial lights for the plants using huge solar panels outside the ship etc, that way distance to the sun wouldn't affect them.

this could very well be the first of a series of studies to see how leaving the earth for a year or a decade might affect human beings etc
By Jetackuu 2019-12-16 13:47:25  
I see a lurking Bart.

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Hevans
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Hev
By Ragnarok.Hevans 2019-12-16 14:17:59  
yeah, space.

sound obv
 Bismarck.Josiahflaming
By Bismarck.Josiahflaming 2019-12-16 17:31:39  
extreme weather warnings starting early this year lol. if any of you live in the upper red area with me, expect as cold as -58 F tonight and be safe nerds.

[+]
 Garuda.Chanti
By Garuda.Chanti 2019-12-16 18:00:33  
KN, having done high security indoor gardening in the past I can say that plants grow just fine under artifical lighting 1/5 as intensive as sunlight.

Sunlight is way more intense in outer space due to not being filtered through earth's atmosphere. I would guess that at Jupiter's orbit sunlight is less intense than at earth's surface, but not by much.

Josi, the garden would take up 90% of the ship.
By Josiahafk 2019-12-16 18:28:17  
Garuda.Chanti said: »
Josi, the garden would take up 90% of the ship.
thats exactly why I limited it to only 2 people. that is a crapload of gardening and oxygen creation to make full diets for 2 adults

but it's delusional to think, "we will magically have exactly enough food grown from these plants and exactly enough oxygen from them that we need to breathe at the same time" at the exact same number of plants when most likely we might have way too much co2 for the plants to handle, or way too much oxygen to handle if we set the plants up at exactly our nutritional needs etc

ideally we could limit how much exercise we do during the trip based on how much oxygen we have to spare each week etc, so as to not make more co2 than the plants can handle.

And if past Neptune becomes "not enough sunlight to power our ship solarly" then we move closer regularly and recharge and only make trips out past Neptune at intervals etc
By Jetackuu 2019-12-16 19:14:37  
this could very well be the first of a series of studies to see how leaving the earth for a year or a decade might affect human beings etc

If the ship was able to have some artificial gravity then it wouldn't be too bad, otherwise prolonged exposure to near zero g environments would be extremely bad.

Starting to read more of the idea: the whole bunch of plants this is basically not probably viable. Generating enough food for 2 humans to eat healthy for prolonged periods would require a lot of space. Not to mention that people need nutrients that you're supposed to get from animals. We're omnivores, not herbivores, despite what vegan nuts try to tell people.

That's not even getting into the philosophical aspects of it. Basically all prolonged space travel would require cryofreezing, and we just don't have the tech.
First Page 2 3 ... 21617 21618 21619 ... 22566 22567 22568