フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Ninja » NIN Eva/Haste gear
NIN Eva/Haste gear
First Page 2
 Sylph.Hitetsu
サーバ: Sylph
Game: FFXI
user: Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-03-10 06:35:20  
Using primarily gear I already have, or can easily get bit by bit without breaking my bank, I've made up 2 sets of gear I'm contemplating for using on NIN. One set focusing completely on Evasion+ and one set mixing in the Haste gear I currently have.

I'm looking at these purely for soloing, without a BRD/COR/WHM/RDM in the picture.

Any tips/suggestions?

Eva only

Eva & Haste

It looks like my weapons are in the wrong hands there >.> Katana in main hand, obviously!
 Cerberus.Quipto
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Quipto
By Cerberus.Quipto 2009-03-10 06:38:03  
no boxers mantle?
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-03-10 06:58:57  
I don't have one yet, but I do intend on getting one (I totally forgot about that omg ._.)

I was actually planning on buying it with the last bunch of gil I got XD but with my NIN only being 63 atm, it didn't seem worth the 500-600k for buying all the coins.

/Fixed. whoo boxers >.>
 Cerberus.Saiya
user: Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-03-10 07:50:12  
Just one small thing; I assume if this is for soloing, you're swapping your Haste in only for Utsusemi? If this is the case, i'm wondering why you've decided to drop the Velocity Earring in favour of the Brutal. ^^;
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-03-10 07:56:24  
I don't macro Utsusemi, so I'd use my haste gear full time. I included Brutal over Velocity for general TP gain.

I've had the Resist Slow effect of Velocity kick in a few times up to now, but I didn't really notice the Eva make a difference when I played around with it a bit.
 Cerberus.Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-03-10 08:26:25  
Ah okay. I've recently put together an Eva+ set for my NIN that's all. Unless it's for farming/weaker mobs I found that since i'm soloing, tp gain/speed of kill doesn't matter so much, so going full-time Eva and macroing in haste gear for Utsusemi works wonderfully. Increased survivability by a huge amount, so if you're soloing harder stuff i'd recommend considering macroing in your Haste gear.

What sort of applications specifically did you have in mind when you created these sets?
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-03-10 08:33:59  
I wasn't really thinking anything major. Mostly soloing some of the "not so friendly" NM's, like Charybdis, maybe try some like Bune, etc.

Primarily I like to have as many different gear sets worked out that might have some use so I'm more prepared for whatever situation I might get thrown into.

Other than that though, I guess it just gave me something to think about XD
 Diabolos.Bozidar
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Bozidar
By Diabolos.Bozidar 2009-03-10 08:34:10  
I dont think soloing is so much in the gear you have, but rather the skills and subjobs you put to use. As far as evasion goes though, I'm not too entirely convinced that its the way to go for nin. The only time I find eva super useful is when I'm fighting charby, other then that I feel its a waste of time for my play style. For example, anything that I have to go solo on nin, I toss on my /dnc and then put on my full haste, then swap to DD for WS for faster kills. The haste not only helps my DoT as well as my recast on utsu, but it also helps keep my TP up for dances. Any time I'm in trouble and seriously having issues getting utsusemi up all I have to do is gravity the mob and walk away. Anyhow Boo on eva, yay for haste and STR+DEX gear :-P the two things that currently elude me are the palawahn shoes and the ungar boomerang, soon though once I stop working 12 hours a day 7 days a week I can get them. WHM POWER!

http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=66532
http://www.ffxiah.com/item_sets.php?id=66531

Yeah my gear is oldschool, but thats how I roll! BAM!
 Cerberus.Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-03-10 08:57:46  
@Hitetsu - As Bozi says, Eva is super useful for Charybdis, where no amount of haste will help enable you to keep shadows up unless you're evading the hits. I've tanked Bune on NIN & THF, and also Guivre, and with their multi-shadow ripping moves and nasty damage, the EVA set really did help a great deal. Though if you have a meritted RDM assisting you then an Eva/Haste mix is just fine, those 2 become a joke with Tier II RDM Debuffs. Actually to be honest, soloing Bune or Guivre without healing of some kind seems to be nigh-on impossible.

@Bozidar - Ahh, /dnc is a different story altogether! Naturally you want to be hitting fast to get the TP needed to pull off your DNC moves, all my comments above wern't taking /dnc into consideration (mine is still Lv10 ,_,). With the fact that you have added opportunities to enfeeble the mob, healing if needed, and are able to grav the mob & run away to recover of course makes the whole scenario very different >,>. Though incidentally with Bune & Guivre grav won't help you none if you try to run, lol (unless it happens to be Nighttime maybe XD)
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-03-10 09:06:31  
I've killed Chary 20-30 times, but that was always NIN or THF + BRD and some form of healer. So I don't really know much about the tanking aspect of it, instead I know more about the general fight, what sort of WS spam to expect, what sort of debuffs generally help.

To be honest, I'm looking forward to being able to die 20 times to Chary trying to solo it while I get the hang of it.

I like to think I'm pretty good as NIN, the only thing that would make it easier for me is some slightly better gear. I'm only missing 1 "major" piece imo, which would take me to 20% haste, the most I'll prolly get any time soon XD

As for SJ, I'd always /DNC, unless I'm with a RDM or WHM, and maybe a BRD. Though depending on mob, I'd still prefer /DNC (like Bune, Ungur or Guivre.. >.> Healing Waltz to get rid of Silence ftw!)
 Gilgamesh.Kynadre
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: kynadre
By Gilgamesh.Kynadre 2009-03-10 10:06:40  
Cool stuff, looking through some of this info to think about how to gear my THF for endgame... I love WHM but my god, THF is just too fun!!

Anyway, major major thing to consider when soloing the wyverns is, what do you do when dread shriek (80-95% paralyze) hits? If you bring remedies for it you'll probably have the whole stack eaten by paralysis before it goes through >> It's the one thing that always kills folks on the wyverns far more than anything else.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-03-10 10:14:41  
Yeah, that's the only thing that would make me insanely nervous about it. Healing Waltz will take care of Para, but the thoughts of it Para'ing Healing Waltz would make it a big risk. Then again, soloing most things will increase the risk factor by a lot XD
 Cerberus.Saiya
By Cerberus.Saiya 2009-03-10 10:18:55  
Kynadre said:
It's the one thing that always kills folks on the wyverns far more than anything else.
I'd disagree and say Fang Rush XD But that's just me, lol.

/dnc gives you a lot more leeway soloing wise, I wouldn't like to speculate whether they'd be reasonably soloable though. I reeeeally need to get DNC to 37, can use SAM/DNC then too, it'll be sweet.
 Siren.Bungie
サーバ: Siren
user: Bungie
By Siren.Bungie 2009-03-10 10:19:55  
depending what ur fighting u should choose which to use while attacking, regaurdless of which your using you should def try to atleast fit full haste into the :Ni macro.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-03-10 10:20:39  
If I was honest, I'd doubt most of them are soloable too, but it'd be fun as hell to try!
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
サーバ: Garuda
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-03-10 10:53:52  
NIN Evasion
NIN TP/Haste

These are the gearsets I use. I swap to Sarutobi Kyahan for feet when casting Utsusemi for the extra 1% haste and I use imperial ring for 4% haste when in assaults.

Granted neither are the best possible, but they are a solid setup. I've solo evasion tanked NMs such as Aquarius and Amemet (yeah both are kind of lol) using /DNC and also Big Bomb duo with BRD. I really haven't tried doing any serious NMs yet.
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-03-10 11:01:32  
From the looks of all the gear I've been checking in Item Sets, the only major piece I'm missing so far is Haidate.

Hoping to get some more gil together, get another popset and try to get it again ><
 Garuda.Wooooodum
user: Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-10 13:36:11  
Empress Hairpin is more Evasion than Optical hat, if you really want to get pedantic about evasion. Whether the added 0.5 evasion is worth losing the 10 accuracy from Optical hat. Strictly speaking though, it is if you're not meleeing... That extra 0.5 could be the little extra you need to avoid the killing blow.
 Garuda.Hypnotizd
user: hypnotizd
By Garuda.Hypnotizd 2009-03-10 13:40:23  
Wooooodum said:
Empress Hairpin is more Evasion than Optical hat

Yeah I melee while evasion tanking in the scenarios I've done it. That's why I use the acc rings instead of the evasion rings. Like I said, it's not the best setup but it has worked for me in the applications I've used it for. =)
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-10 13:41:58  
Only reason I use Empress over O.Hat is because Mithra ears and hair looks much prettier than that ugly piece of ***O.Hat :P
 Ragnarok.Anye
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Anye
By Ragnarok.Anye 2009-03-10 13:46:23  
Wooooodum said:
Only reason I use Empress over O.Hat is because Mithra ears and hair looks much prettier than that ugly piece of ***O.Hat :P

.dat swappage ftw! I don't like my Adaman Barbuta, but Magnifying Specs FTW!
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-10 13:47:57  
I played with dat swaps for the longest time, then my Dark Ixions went invisible, then my Rafflesias. Getting owned running to Campaign battles because of invisible monsters isn't very fun :(

But why would I want to change Mithra Ears & Hair? ; ;
 Garuda.Wooooodum
By Garuda.Wooooodum 2009-03-10 14:11:36  
Shiranui has +3 Evasion on and has high enough base damage to not completely gimp your damage!
 Bahamut.Invisible
サーバ: Bahamut
user:
By Bahamut.Invisible 2009-03-10 14:33:50
 Delete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

I've found evasion / evasion skill to be incredibly useful up to a certain point, but depending on what you're fighting, evasion only goes so far. With capped and fully merited evasion, Eva Torque and just a couple of other big pieces (scorp+1, Ohat) will go a long way. I've done a ton of THF tanking duoing with my RDM friend on stuff like Cassie, Bune, Serket, and they all have pretty poor accuracy without resorting to evasion gear beyond the pieces I mentioned (without Blind or Blind II). NIN, with its lower eva cap, will have to resort to filling in the spaces with a couple more eva pieces, but keep in mind that fully merited Subtle Blow goes a long way too, not to mention the availability of debuffs and stun katanas. The only time I stack up on 100% evasion gear on NIN is for Holy Cow ENM solo, where you absolutely CANNOT get hit.

I guess I'd just recommend finding what's comfortable for you. Everyone has their own sweet spot when it comes to survivability vs. killing speed, and I've found that it's usually instilled into a person's schemata during the leveling phase (evasion tanking vs. DD NIN) Hint: I was the latter!
 Siren.Delirium
サーバ: Siren
user: Delirium
By Siren.Delirium 2009-03-10 14:43:38  
Kynadre said:
Cool stuff, looking through some of this info to think about how to gear my THF for endgame... I love WHM but my god, THF is just too fun!!

Anyway, major major thing to consider when soloing the wyverns is, what do you do when dread shriek (80-95% paralyze) hits? If you bring remedies for it you'll probably have the whole stack eaten by paralysis before it goes through >> It's the one thing that always kills folks on the wyverns far more than anything else.

(soothing)healer type npc... still counts as solo lol
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-03-10 15:22:15  
Invisible said:
Everyone has their own sweet spot when it comes to survivability vs. killing speed, and I've found that it's usually instilled into a person's schemata during the leveling phase (evasion tanking vs. DD NIN) Hint: I was the latter!

When I exp, I use the latter too (ftw!), as such I would've expected my Eva & Haste set to be pretty much perfect for soloing with, but I'm basing that on rumours I hear about +37 Evasion being the highest it'll boost, after that any extra you add is pretty much lost. I can't find any definitive proof of this, so I'm not 100% sure whether I'll be wasting slots or not going with a full Eva+ build or not.

Ninja Edit! Thanks for the advice everyone, been really awesome reading over it and looking at everyone elses gear sets!
 Ifrit.Kalix
サーバ: Ifrit
user: Tokitung
By Ifrit.Kalix 2009-03-12 18:44:10  
Ok I'm a 62 Nin (75 on another char a long time ago) and I just have a few suggestions:

1. I noticed you put Gnole Crown up there even though no one knows(has made public) how to get it to drop. If this is the case and you are just putting up the best gear around, I would then have to say full Usukane Set.

2. Missing two of the most keen bread and butter pieces for any Nin lvl 72 plus: Suppanommi and Ethereal Earring. Just in those two you have faster attacks, +2 Agi, +15 HP, +5 Att, and +5 Eva.

3. I know a ton of people love to push for tons of evasion. I personally prefer to balance between Eva and Parry. Parry completely negates damage, how can you not love it?

This is my perfect blend setup
 Sylph.Hitetsu
By Sylph.Hitetsu 2009-03-12 19:00:29  
Gnole Crown is said to drop from Moblin Maze Monger NM, and with almost a full tabula (all mob families + 2 size runes + Rune 094) completed, I just have to keep going and hoping for the best.

Being honest, I'm not looking for "the perfect setup". I'm looking for the best setup I can attain, and 90% of the gear in that setup is highly unlikely to make it's way into my inventory any time soon.
First Page 2