Returning After A Couple Of Years

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Red Mage » Returning after a couple of years
Returning after a couple of years
By Cadena 2011-04-22 00:39:20  
I still haven't purchased the Abyssea add-ons, but I soon will.

I left my RDM at 73 and want to take it to 90, so I have a lot of stupid questions about what's needed/wanted these days.

First stupid question - what subs are expected?

/WHM
/BLM
/SCH
/NIN

Anything else useful, even if it's very specific?

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Bismarck.Magnuss
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Magnuss 2011-04-22 00:52:34  
Rarely do I go to Abyssea /BLM, although on occasion it's nice having an additional stun, and you don't have to /DRK anymore! Even though WHM mains are the new golden boys of the game, we have to take a backseat and go back to being just enfeeblers and batteries. However, if you stay back far enough, you can assist them with Silenas and Stonas (too many annoying NMs love to spam Petrify, these days).

We got some new spells. Some awesome, some are just eh. But whether people want to trash it or not doesn't matter. The point is RDM is still immensely helpful.

Also, for a little assistance to give you an idea for the levels (at least up to 85) feel free to read my guide on Wiki: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Red_Mage_-_Everyone%27s_Little_Beyotch

Edit: I should update that ***...
By Cadena 2011-04-22 15:25:25  
Thanks for the replies.

So I don't need /SCH?

And how often do I use Addle? On annoying exp mobs or just NMs?
 Quetzalcoatl.Neisan
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Nanashi14
By Quetzalcoatl.Neisan 2011-04-24 08:56:05  
/SCH is more useful than /WHM for most things, /BLM now covers Stun so /DRK isn't needed. /NIN is always useful for shadows/meleeing, possibly /DNC if you need to use waltzes for whatever reason.

Don't bother casting not Dia on exp mobs unless nuking.
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Soube
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: Soube
By Quetzalcoatl.Soube 2011-04-24 09:16:03  
The only thing you need to know about RDM now.

Step 1: Evisceration

Step 2: RR Atma

Step 3: ???

Step 4: Profit

To be honest you'll rarely be called to do much of anything on RDM. BLM and SCH are miles ahead with nukes, WHM is much better at healing, and everyone who needs MP is either /RDM or /SCH, with refresh Atmas. Dispel is pointless (everything that's a major problem on abyssea mobs is a non dispellable effect). Heck the only time people will even bother with haste is on NMs, on normal monsters they die too quickly for haste to even matter.

To be honest you could probably solo mobs in a party with RDM and no one would even care (as long as you're not getting Ruby).
 Bismarck.Nevill
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Nevill
By Bismarck.Nevill 2011-04-24 09:30:42  
Rdm is pretty decent for some solo - kiting stuff. They nuke well (as compared to earlier days), but blm and sch do much more efficiently, so rdm isn't called for group action much.

I suggest picking another job such as whm just for group activities.

That being said, it's your monthly fee, do whatever you want :)
 Asura.Malekith
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Malekith 2011-04-24 10:00:05  
Since it's the ERA of Lowman and many disdain 18 man parties to kill anything, RDM is viewed as something of a relic by the community.

It does have its uses, as a healer and nuker but sadly it is outclassed by BLM, WHM and SCH in those respects. Then again for exp pt's in abyssea people will take RDM without hesitation for Cures and Azure lights.

Now don't lose heart at being relegated to a 2nd string Healer/Nuker. Many more of the newer NM's are vulnerable to Para II, Slow II and Addle. Not all of them are, but enough to justify the luxury of taking a RDM if the person organizing a particular fight so wishes.

Moreover between Bio II, Drain, Aspir, Dispel and T3/ T4 nukes RDM can help trigger a number of Yellow weaknesses to help speed up fights. It can cover all but it can cover more than a few. Splitting up spell casts only helps speed up the whole fight as you're not stuck waiting on one mage to cycle through all spells.

In the end it's really all about who you play with and the niche you carve out for yourself. While much is changed look at all as an opportunity to do new things. If anything RDM's now can cast off the shackles of haste/ refresh bitchery, so enjoy the freedom from being insta-spammed by requests to keep those cycles up the moment they go down.

As is, welcome back!
Remember to enjoy yourself!
cheers!
 Leviathan.Draylo
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Draylo
By Leviathan.Draylo 2011-04-24 10:03:15  
RDM is still king on older content.
By Cadena 2011-04-24 10:49:55  
So I have realized that RDM has fallen out of favor, but I still want it for certain things I plan on duoing probably.

My other job was BRD but apparently those are never used anymore...

I'll probably level WHM soon in order to do lowman Abyssea stuff like you all said.