サーバ: Phoenix
Game: FFXI
user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2011-07-07 08:35:18  
my tp build so far

Race: Mithra
Food: marinare pizza or yellow curry buns

yes i am once agian using sword straps since i have surplus store tp for it

without sword grip i still need 12 store tp to get to 5 hit build to my calculations as /sam
what gears are easily or buyable options to hit a 5 hit build

hoard ring and maybe go back and work towards rose strap again
but thats still only 8 more store tp

--- EDIT ---
WRONG GAXE

Im am no using Sumeru +2 i forgot to update it
I am using widowmaker ( delay 504)
 Ragnarok.Ashman
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-07-07 08:42:20  
tactical mantle is a decent stp option but youd lose 30 some attack in the transition.
 Ragnarok.Beef
user: beeeeef
By Ragnarok.Beef 2011-07-07 09:12:03  
chiv chain, attillas earring, white tathlum
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2011-07-07 09:27:05  
hmm my "losses for going 5hit would be"

mantle:
-3% DA
-35 Atk

Chain:
-3% DA
-9 Atk
-4 Acc

so its 26 atk vs 4acc hmmm.

ty for input
 Leviathan.Alas
サーバ: Leviathan
user: alas
By Leviathan.Alas 2011-07-07 10:29:54  
To be honest, in the same way Ukonvasara is less effective to 5-hit versus 6-hit, a 488 delay G.Axe has the same issues. There's a lot of trade-off to make it work. Requires using very sub-optimal gears and potentially sub-optimal atma (VV, SQ). Also with the amount of double/triple attacks inside Abyssea it's quite common that you aren't actually reducing attack rounds between weaponskills when comparing a 5hit and 6hit build. That having been said, here's some options for you to consider if you want to make a 5hit.

Using VV (presuming 2 tics and WS in Rose Strap/Rajas Ring/sub Sam):
47 STp total needed to maintain 5 hit after WS (3hits landing)
15 - /Sam
8 - Ravager's Lorica +2
5 - Rajas Ring
5 - Goading Belt
4 - Rose Strap
1 - Brutal Earring
Totals: 38 STp
(These are pretty standard pieces in many tp builds and leaves you 9 STp short of a 5hit using VV. If not using VV, you would need 55 STp on tp set unless you add much more STp into your WS set, though that kind of negates the purpose of increasing WS frequency.)

Regain - Moonshade Earring (Assuming 2 Tp returned in a Tp phase - reduces needed STp to 44 on tp build set when also using VV, leaving above build with this equipped 6 STp short.)

Additional Potential STp pieces:
6 - Tactical Mantle (Attack -15)
4 - Hoard Ring (Str -4, Dex -4)
2 - White Tathlum
2 - Almah Torque
1 - Attila's Earring (Not viable with Brutal/Moonshade equipped)
1 - Ecphoria Ring
1 - Chivalrous Chain

Whatever you decide to do, good luck with your Tp set. Hope some of this helped.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-07-07 10:39:33  

This is my build. I think even if you don't use the same build you should at least look into a widowmaker. The 13 more damage should surpass anything that a sumeru is offering you and widowmaker isn't particularly hard to acquire.

edit* the post prior to mine makes some very good points toward what i was trying to convey.. However,

Leviathan.Alas said:
Ukonvasara is less effective to 5-hit versus 6-hit,

I think this is very misleading. I'm not entirely sure it's correct either. I could relatively easily substitute only a couple pieces to the above build to convert it to a uko 5-hit and i don't think it would be a massive sacrifice. I don't have a ukko today so I can't post numbers, but I don't THINK all 5-hit ukko < 6-hit ukko.
[+]
 Leviathan.Alas
By Leviathan.Alas 2011-07-07 10:44:52  
Will definitely agree with the Widowmaker comment. Even though I have a Ukon now, I sent my Widowmaker to a mule rather than toss. It's a great weapon. Also, the increased delay makes it much more viable for 5-hitting.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-07-07 10:49:41  
Ragnarok.Ashman said:
Leviathan.Alas said:

I think this is very misleading. I'm not entirely sure it's correct either. I could relatively easily substitute only a couple pieces to the above build to convert it to a uko 5-hit and i don't think it would be a massive sacrifice. I don't have a ukko today so I can't post numbers, but I don't THINK all 5-hit ukko < 6-hit ukko.
Depends on what you're rolling with. If you're using VV then you could potentially make an argument for it, but RR/SS/Apoc is the better straight damage build and it's substantially more difficult to 5-hit Ukon without regain. It's also entirely possible to gain TP faster than your regain can keep up with, especially with Retaliation.
[+]
 Leviathan.Alas
By Leviathan.Alas 2011-07-07 11:05:25  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Ragnarok.Ashman said:
Leviathan.Alas said:

Depends on what you're rolling with. If you're using VV then you could potentially make an argument for it, but RR/SS/Apoc is the better straight damage build and it's substantially more difficult to 5-hit Ukon without regain. It's also entirely possible to gain TP faster than your regain can keep up with, especially with Retaliation.

Of course, if you're taking hits to activate retaliation (unless you have SS on from a cure), you'll get more tp from that hit than the missed tic. But as you allude to, multi-attack rounds can serve the same purpose causing regain to not keep up, leaving you with high-90's TP waiting on a tic or the next swing where your tp will overflow, negating the benefit of reducing the number of hits in your build.

Edit**
Also, my original post assumes all 3 hits of Raging Rush landing which given the accuracy cap is about an 86% probability. Though that doesn't take into account the potential for double/triple attacks. My rule of thumb has always been assume the worst and gear accordingly.
Hell! I programmed into my spellcast a White tathlum equip for when I miss my second Ukko's hit.
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-07-07 11:38:28  
Leviathan.Alas said:
Of course, if you're taking hits to activate retaliation (unless you have SS on from a cure), you'll get more tp from that hit than the missed tic. But as you allude to, multi-attack rounds can serve the same purpose causing regain to not keep up, leaving you with high-90's TP waiting on a tic or the next swing where your tp will overflow, negating the benefit of reducing the number of hits in your build.
Excellent point, getting TP from enemy hits completely slipped my mind. That would certainly offset regain concerns from Retaliation provided it isn't nullified by Cureskin.
 Asura.Kaisuko
サーバ: Asura
user: Kaisuko
By Asura.Kaisuko 2011-07-07 11:49:57  
Fenrir.Nightfyre said:
Leviathan.Alas said:
Excellent point, getting TP from enemy hits completely slipped my mind. That would certainly offset regain concerns from Retaliation provided it isn't nullified by Cureskin.

Even then, I'd personally want a 100% reliable hit build, rather than hoping for a tic of regain or every hit from your WS to land, which is easily done with a 6hit that doesn't require any sacrifices.
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-07-07 12:24:36  
okay um stop me if i'm wrong but wouldn't trying to 5-hit a sumeru be a lot less advisable than trying to 5-hit an ukon?

if you 5-hit an ukon, you're making sacrifices on the tp side to increase the frequency of a very powerful weaponskill

if you 5-hit a sumeru, you make those exact same sacrifices to increase frequency of a not-so-powerful weaponskill (not that RR is a slouch)

if a 5-hit is questionable for an ukon, seems like it'd be an outright no with no ukko's

you'd either want to get a 504 delay ga and make fewer sacrifices, or get an ukon so that 5-hit on a 488 delay might be worth it
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2011-07-07 13:39:13  
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:
okay um stop me if i'm wrong but wouldn't trying to 5-hit a sumeru be a lot less advisable than trying to 5-hit an ukon? if you 5-hit an ukon, you're making sacrifices on the tp side to increase the frequency of a very powerful weaponskill if you 5-hit a sumeru, you make those exact same sacrifices to increase frequency of a not-so-powerful weaponskill (not that RR is a slouch) if a 5-hit is questionable for an ukon, seems like it'd be an outright no with no ukko's you'd either want to get a 504 delay ga and make fewer sacrifices, or get an ukon so that 5-hit on a 488 delay might be worth it
You're right. That is what he was saying (or at least I thought that he was saying). I just also thought he was implying that a 5-hit ukon build was never a good idea because of the sacrifices.
 Leviathan.Alas
By Leviathan.Alas 2011-07-07 15:36:30  
5hit on Ukon (482 delay) isn't actually that hard, even without using VV, but there are quite a few sacrifices that need to be made. But your point does stand Sevourn about it being a strong WS that through frequency can overcome the trade offs. The real issue is the amount of double/triple attack we have available to us in Abyssea resulting in overflow of TP on a consistent basis, on top of the amount of double attack (and triple attack) given up for STp options.
While this loss might not seem like much:
3% Pole Grip (Rose Strap)
3% Atheling Mantle (Tactical Mantle)
2% Ravager's Gorget (Almah Torque)
1% Ravager's Earring (Moonshade Earring - Regain)
and finally 2% Triple Attack from Oneiros Ring (Hoard Ring).

To 5-hit a Ukon without VV, all of those slots switch out to lesser STp options. That's 9% DA and 2% TA lost.
When I plugged these gears into damage calculator and compared, average tp rounds for a 6hit build was 4.1
average tp rounds for a 5hit build was 3.6
Keep in mind these numbers account for the 95% acc cap. As you can see, the dropping of 1 hit in formerly high DA/TA situations, the weaponskill frequency increase is far less than advertised. Furthermore, minimum attack rounds for both builds is 2. Until 1 TA round can effectively yield 100tp (4hit), I am still convinced a 6hit build is the superior option for a properly geared War using RR/SS/AoA and a low delay G.Axe.
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2011-07-07 16:37:13  
OMG i jsut read the comment and first now saw i amde the set with the wrong Gaxe. i am in facts using widowsmaker and not sumeru +2

Please forgive my error.
all my comment and calculationd was done with widowmaker in mind i just forgot to update the ws set above
 Leviathan.Alas
By Leviathan.Alas 2011-07-07 16:43:47  
Well that changes EVERYTHING!!! =P
No but seriously, it does. Starting event right now, or I'd rework the tp gain notes I made.

Chances are you can just take Ash's advice tho on his tp set. Haven't looked at it too closely tbh, but I didn't notice anything that jumped out at me.
サーバ: Odin
By Odin.Dirtyfinger 2011-07-07 16:47:06  
Ragnarok.Ashman said:

I would use this also.
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2011-07-07 22:44:34  
Odin.Dirtyfinger said:
Ragnarok.Ashman said:

I would use this also.
That is kinda what im moving towards
but it still leaves me only at 19.4 tp per hit so im still in 6 hit area.
 Odin.Sawtelle
サーバ: Odin
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2011-07-07 22:57:13  
could use moonshade instead of ravager's and likely be able to ditch white tath if that set is a little below.
 Sylph.Rebo
サーバ: Sylph
user: Rebo
By Sylph.Rebo 2011-07-07 23:39:49  
This is what I do, don't really know if it helps any, but looking through the posts this shows some alternative gear with the correct food that can prove helpful when deciding what you want to do.

With this /sam if my math is correct makes a 5hit build capped 26% haste and 30% double attack rate (15gear 5 merits 10 job trait).

I use spag carb for 6 more store tp and a nice attack boost as well. While this setup is weapon/delay specific, this does eliminate the need for a rose strap and/or white tantalum and/or hoard ring, as these pieces of gear are really only good for their stp. Different variations obviously able to be made effective.
 Phoenix.Gaiarorshack
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2011-07-08 12:34:10  
Thank you for the info

Rebo's looks like something ican quickly path up. just change a mantle and change food until i can attain more gear to play ( still missing my rose strap)