Samurai Tanking
By Entourage 2011-07-20 22:56:39  
lol its cool, just giving you a hard time. =P
 Remora.Dodu
サーバ: Remora
Game: FFXI
user: Tsuko
By Remora.Dodu 2011-07-20 23:25:34  
Am I the only one who chuckled at the claim that only WAR and PLD will ever cause problems for a SAM hellbent on tanking?

A WHM with significant effort into their physical damage output will cap hate faster than a SAM will.
[+]
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-07-20 23:38:36  
Remora.Dodu said:
Am I the only one who chuckled at the claim that only WAR and PLD will ever cause problems for a SAM hellbent on tanking?

A WHM with significant effort into their physical damage output will cap hate faster than a SAM will.

No, but I did chuckle at your claim about WHM capping hate faster than a SAM. Troll on.
[+]
 Gilgamesh.Hunewearl
サーバ: Gilgamesh
user: Yuffy
By Gilgamesh.Hunewearl 2011-07-21 00:06:56  
Bismarck.Elanabelle said:
Wolfshadow,
in case you haven't noticed, sometimes I do not care about Users' feelings on an internet forum. If you want warm fuzzies, maybe try the My Little Pony thread. I said I read a chunk of the thread, and there was indeed plenty of garbage posted in the first dozen replies to this OP. If you disagree, fine, but I stand by my comments.

You can "lolwat?" at Third Eye Merits if you want; I'll just "lolwat?" at you in retort. Obviously, if you're playing SAM in its traditional DPS role, Meditate recast merits are the superior choice. However, since we're talking about SAM tanking in this thread, I can tell you based on rational thought and practical experience on SAM that Third Eye merits ARE *definitely* a boon when SAM tanking.

Using SAM as a DPS job and using SAM as a tanking job are two very different tasks, and they require different thinking, and different tactics. Seems to me that's the advice the OP was asking for.

If you want to tank on SAM, you have to balance damage generation with mitigation of damage potentially received.
If you're subbing DNC or NIN, you will not generate adequate damage or enmity to tank.
If you're full-timing Hasso, you will not mitigate adequate damage potentially received to tank.

Your absolute best bet is to sub WAR (or MNK, maybe) and use Seigan/Third Eye as your backbone, maintaining Haste/STP gear mainly, WS and Skillchain frequently, and use -PDT% gear/Defender/Dodge/Blade Bash only for your "oh sh*t!" moments.
You have to be beyond drunk to make a difference between SAM acting as a DD and as a tank.

Or maybe you are part of this new wave that rather have their DDs suicide the whole game and having 2 sets: one for their Empyrean WS, other being the exact same set but with Twilight helm/mail.
[+]
By Pooman 2011-07-21 00:36:28  
Remora.Dodu said:

No, but I did chuckle at your claim about WHM capping hate faster than a SAM. Troll on.

It's even more funny because he's serious.
[+]
 Bahamut.Aeronis
サーバ: Bahamut
user: Aeronis
By Bahamut.Aeronis 2011-07-21 06:21:13  
Entourage said:
SAM is good as a tank in that it can be tactical based on what the boss does. Chloris for example, hundred fists -> pop seigan and watch the counters go. tactical non-Seigan Third Eye as already mentioned. Blade Bash on epic casts/ja's.
I kinda laughed at this part because when Chloris HFs for our WAR, it means it's going to be dead in 15 seconds or less. Hurray Retaliation.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-07-21 08:59:21  
Gilgamesh.Hunewearl said:
You have to be beyond drunk to make a difference between SAM acting as a DD and as a tank.

You'd have to be beyond dense to be unable to comprehend that one should indeed employ different tactics when using SAM as a DPS job vs. a tanking job.

Or maybe you are part of this new wave that rather have their DDs suicide the whole game and having 2 sets: one for their Empyrean WS, other being the exact same set but with Twilight helm/mail.

I have absolutely no frakin' idea what you are talking about, but rest assured that I'm not part of any "new waves" in FFXI. I've been playing FFXI regularly since 2004.
 Carbuncle.Flionheart
サーバ: Carbuncle
By Carbuncle.Flionheart 2011-07-21 09:00:53  
And you're still bad at it.
[+]
 Shiva.Nikolce
サーバ: Shiva
user: Nikolce
By Shiva.Nikolce 2011-07-21 11:21:18  
Carbuncle.Flionheart said:

/waituntiltheygetaloadofme.jpg

<- pearly sam/dnc death tank with the stun lock ftw

Something has gone horribly wrong if I'm tanking on sam...
 Bismarck.Angeleus
user: Munky
By Bismarck.Angeleus 2011-07-21 11:33:43  

LOl & Don't forget his Whm...
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2011-07-21 15:28:13  

Okay, 88MNK/38WAR.

Leave me alone, fool.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Sevourn
user: Sevourn
By Carbuncle.Sevourn 2011-07-21 15:32:17  

Okay, 88MNK/38WAR.

Leave me alone, fool.

shall be fixed in short order

since we were duoing xp to burn up his monk

i really wasn't too overly hurt by his subjob, as we'll be taking care of that next

so be sure to get in as much crowing as possible for the few hours it looks like that
 Shiva.Viciousss
サーバ: Shiva
user: Viciouss
By Shiva.Viciousss 2011-07-21 15:41:15  

looks like you're worse lol
[+]
 Carbuncle.Flionheart
By Carbuncle.Flionheart 2011-07-21 15:41:22  

Okay, 88MNK/38WAR.

Leave me alone, fool.

Stop acting like playing from 2004 matters then.

You're still bad at the game.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Flionheart
By Carbuncle.Flionheart 2011-07-21 15:43:26  
Shiva.Viciousss said:

looks like you're worse lol

Who are you?
[+]
 Carbuncle.Flionheart
By Carbuncle.Flionheart 2011-07-21 15:48:53  
Carbuncle.Sevourn said:

Okay, 88MNK/38WAR.

Leave me alone, fool.

shall be fixed in short order

since we were duoing xp to burn up his monk

i really wasn't too overly hurt by his subjob, as we'll be taking care of that next

so be sure to get in as much crowing as possible for the few hours it looks like that

You know

I was going to

But I actually think it's pretty funny because it maddens people.
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Systematicchaos 2011-07-21 15:50:06  
Remora.Dodu said:
Am I the only one who chuckled at the claim that only WAR and PLD will ever cause problems for a SAM hellbent on tanking? A WHM with significant effort into their physical damage output will cap hate faster than a SAM will.

Given that Hexa Strike is a critical hit WS and SAM has no Critical Weapon Skills, I'd say it's very possible.
[+]
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2011-07-21 17:14:20  
Pooman said:
Remora.Dodu said:

It's even more funny because he's serious.
The best part is that you two think he's wrong.

Also, newsflash: PLD won't beat a SAM to the hate cap outside Abyssea. PLD is still relatively slow to cap and only keeps up if it blows all its JAs right at the start.
[+]
 Carbuncle.Flionheart
By Carbuncle.Flionheart 2011-07-21 17:16:10  
Hey Nightfyre

I would totally have your gaybies

Just saying
[+]
 Ramuh.Krizz
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2011-07-21 17:16:55  
Chill.
 Bahamut.Serj
user: Serj
By Bahamut.Serj 2011-07-21 17:29:19  
I employ the same tactics while DDing on mnk as I do tanking.

Edit: What's with them eyes Krizz o.o
 Ramuh.Austar
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-07-21 17:33:51  
Bahamut.Serj said:
I employ the same tactics while DDing on mnk as I do tanking.

Edit: What's with them eyes Krizz o.o
Guessing all our late night debauchery caused him to go insane after reading everything we do when he's not around every morning.
 Gilgamesh.Hunewearl
By Gilgamesh.Hunewearl 2011-07-21 17:37:40  

You'd have to be beyond dense to be unable to comprehend that one should indeed employ different tactics when using SAM as a DPS job vs. a tanking job.

I have absolutely no frakin' idea what you are talking about, but rest assured that I'm not part of any "new waves" in FFXI. I've been playing FFXI regularly since 2004.
Your vision of the job is archaïc. You can't understand that damaging will lead you to tank, which is kinda the easiest thing to understand.

If you damage things properly or if you are any AOE range, you'll need the exact same gear as a tanking SAM. The same way, if you really need damage, you'll be going at it just as hard as when you tank and chances are that you'll be the one tanking. If you aren't tanking, you aren't damaging, even voidwatch doesn't erase this rule.

In short: DDing will lead to surviving and therefore, tanking. Tanking will force you to damage which will lead to surviving.

Dense enough to understand that, I am.
[+]
 Bahamut.Ukiyasan
user: Ukiyasan
By Bahamut.Ukiyasan 2011-07-21 17:39:52  
While the theory of SAM tanking is nice.... the practice of it inside Abyssea is not realistic unless you are duoing.

If you have a MNK or WAR... the only time a SAM would be tanking is if the MNK and or WAR is dead because of poor healing. Entourage did a great job of explaining SAM tanking in my opinion though. I'm just being honest, as I have MNK and SAM.
 Ramuh.Krizz
user: Krizz
By Ramuh.Krizz 2011-07-21 17:40:25  
Elana was topicbanned so don't bother replying to him.
[+]
 Ramuh.Austar
user: Austar
By Ramuh.Austar 2011-07-21 17:42:51  

I used that ***at 75 and had no issue tanking most things with full DD merits.
 Gilgamesh.Hunewearl
By Gilgamesh.Hunewearl 2011-07-21 17:48:35  
I remember being asked to SAM/THF on my first Odin. Second one I went /WAR, tanked all of them starting from there.

I was lucky to have a very nice/good WHM who cured my *** though, most of them would have acted like "DD trying to tank? I'll let him die". That's why you can't really tank things/make things change if you really are the only acting.

Abyssea well, tanking being based on damage where SAM isn't advantaged, SAM can't do much :<

I was surprised in a good way on what it can do in Voidwatch, though.
 Carbuncle.Ronson
user: ronson
By Carbuncle.Ronson 2011-07-21 19:15:11  
Carbuncle.Ronson said:

i'll be damned