フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » Post 99 Samurai
Post 99 Samurai
First Page 2 3
 Fenrir.Grimsie
サーバ: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: Grimjow
By Fenrir.Grimsie 2012-01-03 02:49:34  
So I am looking to start updating my Samurai. I was wondering what the ideal build would be? Is 5 hit obtainable without much sacrifice?

And what's the good WS build?

I have a Masa.

Thanks in advance.

*Edit*

here would be what I would think would be good... what improvements could be made. Voidwatch is not an issue, nor is any other endgame.

TP

WS
 Seraph.Gilhaven
サーバ: Seraph
user: Gilhaven
By Seraph.Gilhaven 2012-01-03 03:09:39  
you have masa but still don't know if 5 hit is obtainable at that lvl? 5-hits were obtainable at at 75-80 iirc.
[+]
 Fenrir.Grimsie
By Fenrir.Grimsie 2012-01-03 03:13:49  
I'm aware a 5 hit can be made, I was just curious if the new gear made for any improvements... Thx for the help...
 Carbuncle.Sambb
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Sambb
By Carbuncle.Sambb 2012-01-03 03:21:12  
I am absolutely certain improvements can be made.... there is new gear.... brego gloves over aces for example.... (or dusk if you were using them before for negating the -stp on aces)

As some one has said already read the other threads in the samurai section.... if for what ever no new gear sets st/ discussions have been had then make a new one... this seems just lazy to me.

edit: I would find it amazing if such threads didn't exist already tbh.....
[+]
 Fenrir.Grimsie
By Fenrir.Grimsie 2012-01-03 03:35:41  
Not lazy at all, I am limited to my iphone as I am at work. I tried reading the Sam forums and after scanning down 10 pages of trolling and arguing I figured maybe someone out there could post a updated TP/WS set...

Sorry I have upset you all.
[+]
 Asura.Vrytreya
サーバ: Asura
user: VZX
By Asura.Vrytreya 2012-01-03 04:55:44  
Brego Gloves instead of Ace's Mufflers,
Hagneia Stone instead of White Tathlum, Misuuchi Kappa instead of Atheling Mantle,
Tyrant's ring instead of Hoard's Ring(not so much upgrade, IMO).

The rest is probably as old as Abyssea itself.
 Carbuncle.Sambb
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: Sambb
By Carbuncle.Sambb 2012-01-03 05:01:48  
Its not a case of being upset its pointing out the obvious.

For starters we have nothing to go on in terms of what your tp gear looks like. Some pieces are harder to get than others blah blah.

You might not do voidwatch and some gear comes from there etc etc.....

Also the item list has been updated with the new gear so why not have a look..... I have mentioned brego gloves already as a replacement for tp hands as an option.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Daffel
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: daffel
By Ragnarok.Daffel 2012-01-03 06:47:54  
Posting your current WS set would also probably help to see where you can improve.

My current TP set, far from ideal and lacking some new pieces such as brego gloves and rose strap/bullwhip but a pretty straight forward 5 hit.

Seems I have masa and the space to do so I plan on having 2 WS sets for fudo and shoha.

Fudo

Shoha

This set still needs a load of work, plan on picking up breeze belt, mekira oto/+1 and +2 hands when I stop being lazy/cheap but my play time has dropped pretty significantly =(
 Quetzalcoatl.Artichaos
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: styleszuk
By Quetzalcoatl.Artichaos 2012-01-03 06:58:50  
Ragnarok.Daffel said: »
Posting your current WS set would also probably help to see where you can improve.

My current TP set, far from ideal and lacking some new pieces such as brego gloves and rose strap/bullwhip but a pretty straight forward 5 hit.

Seems I have masa and the space to do so I plan on having 2 WS sets for fudo and shoha.

Fudo

Shoha

This set still needs a load of work, plan on picking up breeze belt, mekira oto/+1 and +2 hands when I stop being lazy/cheap but my play time has dropped pretty significantly =(

If your going to wear af3+2 head instead of Tiara, use Ace Mail when TP'ing, you should have and use Bullwhip belt, not capping haste in a build is not called for. Getting a 6% haste belt like the new VWNM one will allow you to cap haste when using ace and af3+2 head.

This is my SAM set atm
 Fenrir.Grimsie
By Fenrir.Grimsie 2012-01-03 07:08:07  
Here's where I'd like to be as a goal... Can these be improved upon?

I also put them at OP

TP

WS
 Phoenix.Sonoske
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Sonoske
By Phoenix.Sonoske 2012-01-03 07:53:16  
The easiest upgrades I can spot right now would be for the WS set: Avant cuisses +1, maybe change the belt to something w/o Double ATK- and the backpiece to atheling for the Double ATK. And for the TP since you'll still be capped haste change the belt over to a Goading belt which should put you down another tick of Regain required to 5hit going from 4 to 2 ticks.
 Cerberus.Lightvision
サーバ: Cerberus
By Cerberus.Lightvision 2012-01-03 08:11:22  
i have do have Masamune but now, since lastnight, i have Kantonotachi (TP Bonus +100) for shoha and i have never use fudo since 5/5 shoha so i just kept 5 hit and upped haste. i know i can use masamune and keep AM up to up DoT but thats not my play style

TP Set

only difference between masamune set and Kantonotachi set is i use Unkai Kobatu +2 and Goading belt for masamune instead

WS Set

i know i need Ace's mail (never seem to do the VW) and hachi legs, i could use a 2nd pyrosoul ring instead of rajas.

and as far as i read Ele gorget/belt is better for neck/waist slot for shoha

in terms of highest WS i have done, i know lolabysseawsnumbers but meh

Fenrir.Grimsie said: »
Here's where I'd like to be as a goal... Can these be improved upon?

I also put them at OP

TP

WS
this is not a 5 hit build 19.6x4+18.6 =/= 100 you have to have 7 more sTP to get true 5 hit, also atheling mantle would be better for TPing in and athelling or unkai back for WSing, imo the belt is counter productive with the DA-5%, personally i wound not use it but thats just my personal opinion

Starting from 0 TP to 100
5.46*6 = 32.76 (capped haste 6 hit)
5.63*5 = 28.15 (23% haste 5 hit)
Difference = 4.61 seconds

include WS hit to 100
5.46*5 = 27.3 (capped haste 6 hit)
5.63*4 = 22.52 (23% haste 5 hit)
Difference = 4.78 seconds
[+]
 Ragnarok.Daffel
By Ragnarok.Daffel 2012-01-03 08:48:20  
Quetzalcoatl.Artichaos said: »

If your going to wear af3+2 head instead of Tiara, use Ace Mail when TP'ing, you should have and use Bullwhip belt, not capping haste in a build is not called for. Getting a 6% haste belt like the new VWNM one will allow you to cap haste when using ace and af3+2 head.

This is my SAM set atm

He asked for 5 hit masa builds so I just posted what I use. Pretty sure the changes you mentioned would 6 hit me. (Apart from bullwhip/rose, I really need to sort that >.>)

Cerberus.Lightvision said: »

i know lolabysseawsnumbers but meh

I know you said about lol abyssea but ppl just have to stop posting screenshots like this. Its counter productive, nobody gives a ***what you can do on easy prey, low def mobs when buffed through the ***.

Also about the atheling/unkai argument I have heard so many different reasons why one is better than the other for tp/ws when they are both so close it really does not matter. As long as you use one or the other thats ok or even misuuchi kappa in certain tp builds.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Daffel
By Ragnarok.Daffel 2012-01-03 08:52:45  
Also regain moonshade sucks balls for SAM! TP bonus that bad boy
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
サーバ: Bismarck
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2012-01-03 08:57:31  
In response to the OP:

This is the 5-hit Masamune build I'm using:

And the Tachi:Fudo build I'm using:

For Tachi:Shoha, I use pretty much the same equipment, except I put Breeze Gorget, Breeze Belt, and Vulcan's Ring in (instead of Light Gorget, Light Belt, Tyrant's Ring).

There's a few things I'd like to improve on in these sets, but they're good enough as they are, and yes, it's relatively easy to make a 5-hit TP build on SAM with Masamune/Amano. Using a 6-hit build would be lame.
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2012-01-03 09:06:17  
Also, I agree with Lightvision above. The only time you worry about "capping Haste" on SAM is if you have a 5-hit build already and adding additional Haste equipment doesn't gimpify you.

I know it's hard for many FFXI players to grasp, but SAM isn't THF, and it isn't WAR ... yes, some of the same basic melee principles apply (duh), but "capping Haste" is not a paramount responsibility on SAM.

I laugh when I see SAM builds featuring Zelus Tiara. You're trying too hard.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Daffel
By Ragnarok.Daffel 2012-01-03 09:09:47  
Bismarck.Elanabelle said: »
In response to the OP:

This is the 5-hit Masamune build I'm using:

And the Tachi:Fudo build I'm using:

For Tachi:Shoha, I use pretty much the same equipment, except I put Breeze Gorget, Breeze Belt, and Vulcan's Ring in (instead of Light Gorget, Light Belt, Tyrant's Ring).

There's a few things I'd like to improve on in these sets, but they're good enough as they are, and yes, it's relatively easy to make a 5-hit TP build on SAM with Masamune/Amano. Using a 6-hit build would be lame.

Sorry to nit pick but why not tp in a stp neck then swap goading for bullwhip? You could also probably WS in +2 SAM legs and add another STR ring to bump your STR pretty significantly? :o

(I realise this puts your sets close to what I use/want ;) but seems you have rose it would be a shame not to maximie what you can do)
By javelinx 2012-01-03 09:11:02  
this is what i would prefer to use if i could get lucky on ace's mail dropping, and moonshade earring used as a tp bonus+25 earring instead of regain i think has more of an impact for both fudo and shoha (wish it did for kaiten, but oh well.), also avant gloves+1 i think will outparse heafoc mitts for both fudo and shoha now (anyone with the math to prove or disprove please assist here, I'm about to go to bed)

http://www.ffxiah.com/item-sets/234153 -- TP set

http://www.ffxiah.com/item-sets/144328 -- WS set

not sure on elemental gorget/belt vs justiciars and beir+1 (i think gorget wins vs just. and beir wins vs belt...for shoha at least, read that the 1st week or 2 after the update, haven't bothered to test it recently since i still use kaiten a lot inside/outside of abyssea.)

Just what I see as the best~ right now (maths for the tp build aren't done, because I'm not up on the tp builds for non-kaiten sam's, might need rose strap I think to make up for the loss of tp from the ws hit.
 Ragnarok.Daffel
By Ragnarok.Daffel 2012-01-03 09:15:51  
javelinx said: »
this is what i would prefer to use if i could get lucky on ace's mail dropping, and moonshade earring used as a tp bonus+25 earring instead of regain i think has more of an impact for both fudo and shoha (wish it did for kaiten, but oh well.), also avant gloves+1 i think will outparse heafoc mitts for both fudo and shoha now (anyone with the math to prove or disprove please assist here, I'm about to go to bed)

http://www.ffxiah.com/item-sets/234153 -- TP set

http://www.ffxiah.com/item-sets/144328 -- WS set

not sure on elemental gorget/belt vs justiciars and beir+1 (i think gorget wins vs just. and beir wins vs belt...for shoha at least, read that the 1st week or 2 after the update, haven't bothered to test it recently since i still use kaiten a lot inside/outside of abyssea.)

Just what I see as the best~ right now (maths for the tp build aren't done, because I'm not up on the tp builds for non-kaiten sam's, might need rose strap I think to make up for the loss of tp from the ws hit.

I always forget about usu feet, had the 35's in my mog house for 6 months+. Thats a pretty awesome tp set but salvage can go suck a ***
By javelinx 2012-01-03 09:17:42  
oh also, regarding using atheling for tp vs misuchi....is 20 attack going to make the difference in capping attack while in tp build, for an extra 2 damage or w/e, or will the 3 stp complete your 5 hit (including ws hit, since you may get a fraction of tp from the previous hit, etc), that is the only question you need to ask yourself.

Also comparably with hasso up, ace's gloves, unkai ear and unkai back beast with the new zanshin update, screw the -4 stp loss, you'll more than make up for it the vast majority of the time when you get those 35+ tp hits from zanshin procs.

and gn all, have fun sam'ing it up today XD
 Bismarck.Elanabelle
By Bismarck.Elanabelle 2012-01-03 09:20:23  
Sorry to nit pick but why not tp in a stp neck then swap goading for bullwhip? You could also probably WS in +2 SAM legs and add another STR ring to bump your STR pretty significantly? :o

(I realise this puts your sets close to what I use/want ;) but seems you have rose it would be a shame not to maximie what you can do)

Good suggestion.
I've considered doing exactly what you're suggesting. And I might.

However, Bullwhip Belt is one of those items I just refuse to use. I treated Dusk Gloves the same damned way for years ... and W. Turban before that. Call me stubborn or w/e; certain items irk me.
[+]
 Ragnarok.Daffel
By Ragnarok.Daffel 2012-01-03 09:21:55  
oh also, regarding using atheling for tp vs misuchi....is 20 attack going to make the difference in capping attack while in tp build, for an extra 2 damage or w/e, or will the 3 stp complete your 5 hit (including ws hit, since you may get a fraction of tp from the previous hit, etc), that is the only question you need to ask yourself.

Also comparably with hasso up, ace's gloves, unkai ear and unkai back beast with the new zanshin update, screw the -4 stp loss, you'll more than make up for it the vast majority of the time when you get those 35+ tp hits from zanshin procs.

and gn all, have fun sam'ing it up today XD

I agreed with all of this except the end bit about hands!! xD Please please please dont rely on hasso/zanshin's to complete your build. Its nice when it happens but too random. Either make up for the -4 stp lost or use dusk/brego.
 Ragnarok.Daffel
By Ragnarok.Daffel 2012-01-03 09:25:24  

Good suggestion.
I've considered doing exactly what you're suggesting. And I might.

However, Bullwhip Belt is one of those items I just refuse to use. I treated Dusk Gloves the same damned way for years ... and W. Turban before that. Call me stubborn or w/e; certain items irk me.

Thats understandable its your game not mine but as someone who has used dusk+1 for ages they have grown on me like mad ^^ kind of not looking forward to swapping to brego when I get the gil xD. Bullwhip just refuses to drop for me which is pretty lame and campaign blows is why I have not upgraded yet.
 Odin.Llewelyn
サーバ: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2012-01-03 09:30:28  
(maths for the tp build aren't done, because I'm not up on the tp builds for non-kaiten sam's, might need rose strap I think to make up for the loss of tp from the ws hit.

Yes, you need Rose Strap in that set.

16.206 from WS so you'd need 20.9485 TP per hit. Only getting 20.757 with that.
 Ragnarok.Nemesio
user: Nemesio
By Ragnarok.Nemesio 2012-01-03 09:32:16  

Don't spread such lies. SAM should be capping haste, and it should have a 5-hit. Anyone without, simply isn't trying hard enough.
[+]
 Odin.Llewelyn
サーバ: Odin
user: Llewelyn
By Odin.Llewelyn 2012-01-03 09:33:05  
As for Kantonotachi, this is what I use:

TP (Damn mala won't drop)

WS

Not sure if my TP build set is an upgrade or downgrade from your traditional Ace's Mail set, but it's what I've been comfortable with (aside from losing 185 HP). Any input is welcome, just wanted to try something new. The excess TP with AF3 earring is for Hagakure WS's. Need that to get 100% in 3 hits.
 Ragnarok.Daffel
By Ragnarok.Daffel 2012-01-03 09:34:47  
Ragnarok.Nemesio said: »

Don't spread such lies. SAM should be capping haste, and it should have a 5-hit. Anyone without, simply isn't trying hard enough.

Going to post any sets or just say we are not trying hard enough?
 Ragnarok.Nemesio
user: Nemesio
By Ragnarok.Nemesio 2012-01-03 09:36:00  
I think Unkai back beats Atheling? Or so I have heard.

Now for a small question of my own, are the Gorgets/Belts a must for this WS? I have plenty to supplement in, but at the moment I have been using Beir +1 and Justice Torque.
 Bismarck.Aerison
user: Aerison
By Bismarck.Aerison 2012-01-03 09:37:03  
Shoha should be ws'ing in the ele gorget and belt

Fudo should be in ele gorget and beir +1
First Page 2 3