フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » /WAR vs /SAM in VW
/WAR vs /SAM in VW
First Page 2 3
 Cerberus.Taint
サーバ: Cerberus
Game: FFXI
user: Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-01-25 19:01:45  
Depends on the mob, tier6 /war for sure. Lower stuff /sam. The biggest boost from /war is zerk, if you can use the attack it can be a huge increase in DoT. If LR is already capping you then the WS frequency of /sam will pull ahead. (hasso is still good)
[+]
 Quetzalcoatl.Generic
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Generic 2012-01-25 20:02:45  
Kin37ix said: »
Cerberus.Taint said: »
Depends on the mob, tier6 /war for sure. Lower stuff /sam. The biggest boost from /war is zerk, if you can use the attack it can be a huge increase in DoT. If LR is already capping you then the WS frequency of /sam will pull ahead. (hasso is still good)

Shits situational, fair enough. Is WS frequency that much different with rolls, wings, and lv15 atmacite though?
No
DRK/WAR all day everyday
[+]
 Fenrir.Minjo
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Tsuko
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-01-25 20:17:56  
These messages brought to you in part by the AbsolutelyNoData Foundation, in coordination with PureSpeculaton Co.
[+]
 Leviathan.Phenomena
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Gawdless
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2012-01-25 20:20:27  
whats the % of /sam zanshin proc? because i would think that would also add up.
 Fenrir.Minjo
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-01-27 08:43:33  
I wasn't referring to you, but hey- using addition to tell us how much DA you'll have with a different subjob(without mentioning how all of your other sources of it devalue the trait) isn't pointing anything out. You haven't said anything of the increase/decrease to WS frequency, nor have you calculated the impact the DA increase will have on average WS damage. Anyone who didn't know precisely why which is better than the other still has no idea.
 Bahamut.Danthebk
サーバ: Bahamut
user: danthebk
By Bahamut.Danthebk 2012-01-27 14:03:56  
Berserk will do more for your Resolution than DA will. That thing has like 4.75 FTP with Moonshade, Gorget/Belt, and 0 TP overflow.

I'm personally a /SAM fan, but I can see how /WAR is something to consider for DRK at the 99 cap. But I'm not going to take the time to seriously consider it right now.
 Siren.Thoraeon
サーバ: Siren
user: Thoraeon
By Siren.Thoraeon 2012-01-27 14:27:50  
15 STP vs 10% DA

TP
/SAM: 15 STP will add 1.65 TP per hit. (Caladbolg)
/WAR: 10% DA will add ~1.1 TP per hit on average. (Caladbolg)

WS
/SAM: 15 STP will add 2.25 TP to Resolution's TP return. (Caladbolg)
/WAR: 10% DA alone gives a 41% chance to proc at least 1 DA with Resolution. Atheling, Pole, and Brutal will bring that to 67%. Avant Gauntlets +1 and Jingang Greaves will bring that to 75%.

Other Notable Stuff

/SAM: Meditate, Sekka, Hasso, Third Eye, Zanshin
/WAR: Berserk, Warcry, Aggressor

With VW COR rolls, temp items, uncapped acc, uncapped att, and hasso being a lot less useful now, /WAR is looking pretty good IMO.
A few things to note:
DA can only proc on the first two hits of a WS, so there is actually only a 19% chance for DA to proc at least once on Resolution with nothing else, a 36% chance for it to proc with Atheling, Pole, Brutal, and there is a 42.2% chance with Avant and Jingang as well.

In response to Hasso, it is 10% JA ability haste, but unfortunately does not stack with LR.
In one hour a DRK with Caladbolg and capped haste in gear with 0 DA and no haste cast on them swings 669 times in one hour. This goes up to 911 times with only using LR (assuming fully merited).
If they are /WAR with no haste cast on them and 0 DA gear, this goes to 736 (no using LR) and 1002 (using LR).
If they are /SAM in same circumstances, 772 and 940 respectively.

So in a more organized formate:
/??? - 699 and 911 LR
/WAR - 736 and 1002 LR
/SAM - 772 and 940 LR

If you factor in 10% DA in gear for TP (Pole, Atheling, Brutal):
/??? - 736 and 1002 LR
/WAR - 802 and 1093 LR
/SAM - 849 and 1034 LR

Now if they receive haste and have 10% DA in gear:
/??? - 914 and 1383 LR
/WAR - 997 and 1508 LR
/SAM - 1096 and 1434 LR

Ideally, a DRK should be riding LR, and most good VW should be over before or close to when LR wears off. However, these numbers to not compensate for STP and WS frequency. It would be alot of work to factor in all the STP, Regain, Save TP, and dusty wings from VW, and I really don't feel like trying to math all that out. Anyways, my money would be on /SAM due to the STP for WS frequency, zanshin and hasso because some VW mobs can be evasive, and meditate and sekkanoki are handy.
 Fenrir.Minjo
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-01-27 14:41:29  
What came first? The chicken or the egg? Do you calculate JT DA dot first, or do you calculate gear DA dot first? You don't. It's stupid. You add them together then calculate your dot.

Seriously? The amount that's going to be present regardless is your "base". Not to mention, as it was said, you drastically miscalculated the DA estimation.

Like I said, as well intended as I'm sure this was, this clears up absolutely nothing.
 Quetzalcoatl.Generic
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
By Quetzalcoatl.Generic 2012-01-27 16:15:10  
DRK/WAR All day everyday~
 Cerberus.Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-01-27 16:23:34  
Quetzalcoatl.Generic said: »

How I wish we were on the same server....
[+]
 Ragnarok.Lugat
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Jar
By Ragnarok.Lugat 2012-01-27 16:31:41  
Now ppl are seeing that /war is good how 2 months ago..
 Phoenix.Dramatica
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Darkmagi1
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2012-01-27 16:34:38  
@ DA procing on the first 2 hits of a WS, someone posted data about resolution being able to DA/TA on all hits, but I never saw a confirmation on it. Someone should look into that. (still capped at 2da max obviously, but it supposedly had the chance to DA on each of its hits)

Also some fights only last around 3mins, such as qilin. /war would be highly favored in these fights.
 Phoenix.Dramatica
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2012-01-27 16:45:42  
I'm still skilling up my gsword in prep for ragnarok, but if no one tests it by the time I reach 357, I'll test it.
 Cerberus.Taint
By Cerberus.Taint 2012-01-27 16:51:16  
Ragnarok.Lugat said: »
Now ppl are seeing that /war is good how 2 months ago..

Tier6 VW really made /war a must. Before that capping attack could be done /sam.
By volkom 2012-01-27 16:55:48  
Siren.Thoraeon said: »

Ideally, a DRK should be riding LR, and most good VW should be over before or close to when LR wears off. However, these numbers to not compensate for STP and WS frequency. It would be alot of work to factor in all the STP, Regain, Save TP, and dusty wings from VW, and I really don't feel like trying to math all that out. Anyways, my money would be on /SAM due to the STP for WS frequency, zanshin and hasso because some VW mobs can be evasive, and meditate and sekkanoki are handy.

if this is true. that drk's should be riding LR out and the mob should be dead before or close to when LR wears off, then meditate and sekkanoki become useless after your first few weaponskills.

so the only thing going /sam helps with maybe is the ws frequency, the low zanshin proc and hasso.

whereas going /war gets you more double attack, attack buffs, aggressor
 Asura.Arkanethered
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Arkanethered 2012-01-27 17:30:30  
This is all assuming a perfect 3 minute void watch fight with everything being perfect and assuming no drk procs.. Ok I'll concede war probably comes out on top under this very specific set of conditions.... But I personally have been in very fee runs where that is the case. So let's not sit here and persuade the lesser members of the dark community (those that hurt our reputation) that war is the end all sub when its situational for only a few of us.

^^
[+]
 Sylph.Lorax
サーバ: Sylph
user: Lorax
By Sylph.Lorax 2012-01-27 17:39:26  
Asura.Arkanethered said: »
This is all assuming a perfect 3 minute void watch fight with everything being perfect and assuming no drk procs.. Ok I'll concede war probably comes out on top under this very specific set of conditions.... But I personally have been in very fee runs where that is the case. So let's not sit here and persuade the lesser members of the dark community (those that hurt our reputation) that war is the end all sub when its situational for only a few of us.

^^

Thank you for stating what some of us were already thinking.
By Latifah 2012-01-27 17:46:27  
Cerberus.Taint said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Generic said: »

How I wish we were on the same server....
isn't drg/sam better?
 Phoenix.Dramatica
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2012-01-27 17:59:58  
drk/war is basically limited to zergs or extremely high def mobs.
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2012-01-27 18:58:16  
So, you're saying that you don't think it's a bad idea to pick the less optimal choice willingly? Right then.
 Fenrir.Jinjo
VIP
user: Minjo
By Fenrir.Jinjo 2012-01-28 11:40:38  
I don't think /WAR would be a terrible choice in almost any situation you would /SAM.

"WAR is an okay choice."

It may not be optimal, but certainly not gimp.

"But WAR is not the best choice."

recently been trying out /WAR

"Using it anyways."
First Page 2 3