user: MiavPigen
By Phoenix.Gaiarorshack 2012-02-26 19:00:40  
sorry for probably posting a question already asked

but i tried reading a bit around but found no arguments
for which weapon is superior when having access to the merrited GS WS

caladborg (90) or OaT (99) ?
caladborg (99) or OaT (99) ?

And for the love of g... WHY?
Don't say one or the other if you don't have at least some kind of argument. Don't need bandwagon answer but would really appreciate some math related answers.

Thank you
 Ragnarok.Chronosphere
サーバ: Ragnarok
Game: FFXI
By Ragnarok.Chronosphere 2012-02-26 19:02:42  
http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/27678/drk-resolution-gs-builds/
[+]
 Fenrir.Skarwind
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2012-02-26 19:18:25  
Phoenix.Gaiarorshack said: »
sorry for probably posting a question already asked

but i tried reading a bit around but found no arguments
for which weapon is superior when having access to the merrited GS WS

caladborg (90) or OaT (99) ?
caladborg (99) or OaT (99) ?

And for the love of g... WHY?
Don't say one or the other if you don't have at least some kind of argument. Don't need bandwagon answer but would really appreciate some math related answers.

Thank you

Oat99>Calad90
Calad99>=OaT99

I've done tons of testing and the OaT just wins out. As an example if a level 80 OaT was able to outparse an 85 Caladbolg (12 base DMG difference)

Then the 99 OaT will surely out do the level 90 Caladbolg
(13 damage difference). At the moment it does me much better then using the level 85 Calad.

A Caladbolg at 99 would be better or equal to a level 99 OaT. The main reason it would be ahead is the base DMG and ODD at that point. Caladbolg is a DoT weapon if anything due to the 7 hit/ tough 6 hit (Lower delay then rag). 99 Caladbolg/300%AM/DB/Haste/MarchX2 would just be very mean in the right hands.

I'm sticking with my Fulgerante all the way though. If any empyrean is going to be 99 on my character I'm making sure it is my Ukon.
 Diabolos.Raelia
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2012-02-27 10:05:18  
I assume WS saturation is a major component of Caladbolg catching up. This is why I hate 'perfect buffs' comparisons because it favors Vanilla weapons too hard when such situations are exceedingly rare anymore.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-02-27 10:55:35  
Keep in mind, if you get 95 caladbolg (let alone 99) you'll be the first to do so that I know of.

Just saying.

You could put approximately as much effort as you did to make 85 caladbolg and have a 99 OAT, or you could invest the time and effort (and money for plates / riftdross) and have 99 calad later this century.

I'd love my calad to be 99, but in the current market I'm forced to put it off til later (much much later in my case).
 Diabolos.Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2012-02-27 11:00:09  
You could probably have an Apoc or Ragnarok to 95 for the price of a 99 Caladbolg, give or take. Currency just keeps on dropping...
 Siren.Seiri
サーバ: Siren
user: seiri
By Siren.Seiri 2012-02-27 11:39:19  
Diabolos.Raelia said: »
You could certainly have an Apoc or Ragnarok to 95 for the price of a 99 Caladbolg, give or take. Currency just keeps on dropping...

Fixed
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-02-27 11:40:36  
I got it figured out. I'm going to win tier 1 and 2 in the next bonanza. I'll take Ragnarok for T1 and cat's eye for T2 and have ALL THE DRK WEAPONS. Then next time I die, I'll sell my soul to promathia and become a Hahava type 6-armed creature. I'll use fort axe in my off hand for lulz though (or maybe baha scythe).
[+]
 Siren.Seiri
サーバ: Siren
user: seiri
By Siren.Seiri 2012-02-27 11:44:00  
Ragnarok.Ashman said: »
I got it figured out. I'm going to win tier 1 and 2 in the next bonanza. I'll take Ragnarok for T1 and cat's eye for T2 and have ALL THE DRK WEAPONS. Then next time I die, I'll sell my soul to promathia and become a Hahava type 6-armed creature. I'll use fort axe in my off hand for lulz though (or maybe baha scythe).

OA2 GS! You have 3 scythes alrdy...why not 3 GSs?
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-02-27 12:12:48  
Siren.Seiri said: »

Ugh, don't get me going. I'm such a packrat. I kept a hoarfrost blade for a week before I realised there is absolutely no situation that I should use it.
 Diabolos.Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2012-02-27 12:38:02  
Ugh, don't get me going. I'm such a packrat.
*Opens equipment screen, clicks 'main weapon'... has ten*

*Opens sack, has 11 more*

I have so many half-finished Trial weapons... WoE GS, WoE Sword, WSDmg or TP Bonus path (forget which) Scythe and GS, MAB Gun, Armageddon. I'm packing a whole armory once you include proc weapons, aug'd Yathagans, Ex weapons I can't or won't drop (Joyeuse), and a couple choice +1 Ele staves for COR.

Having only a GS or only a Scythe is stupid. I don't see where people get this idea that you can only have one main weapon.
 Leviathan.Phenomena
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Gawdless
By Leviathan.Phenomena 2012-02-27 12:40:15  
Ugh, don't get me going. I'm such a packrat.
*Opens equipment screen, clicks 'main weapon'... has ten*

*Opens sack, has 11 more*

I have so many half-finished Trial weapons... WoE GS, WoE Sword, WSDmg or TP Bonus path (forget which) Scythe and GS, MAB Gun, Armageddon. I'm packing a whole armory once you include proc weapons, aug'd Yathagans, Ex weapons I can't or won't drop (Joyeuse).

Having only a GS or only a Scythe is stupid. I don't see where people get this idea that you can only have one main weapon.

Wish my drk could use my armageddon =/

and Jokes aside i think i have more weapons than i should... weapons that i dont toss Just incase they have a use... WS dmg+10% off hand weapons... 5 swords started but not finished (for blu)

every proc weapon. just need SE to make a scythe/GS that all jobs can use for my ninja to proc all the things :O
 Fenrir.Minjo
user: Tsuko
By Fenrir.Minjo 2012-02-27 13:02:36  
Fenrir.Skarwind said: »

Oat99>Calad90
Calad99>=OaT99

I've done tons of testing and the OaT just wins out. As an example if a level 80 OaT was able to outparse an 85 Caladbolg (12 base DMG difference)

Then the 99 OaT will surely out do the level 90 Caladbolg
(13 damage difference). At the moment it does me much better then using the level 85 Calad.

A Caladbolg at 99 would be better or equal to a level 99 OaT. The main reason it would be ahead is the base DMG and ODD at that point. Caladbolg is a DoT weapon if anything due to the 7 hit/ tough 6 hit (Lower delay then rag). 99 Caladbolg/300%AM/DB/Haste/MarchX2 would just be very mean in the right hands.

I'm sticking with my Fulgerante all the way though. If any empyrean is going to be 99 on my character I'm making sure it is my Ukon.

Parsing doesn't tell you what weapon is better. As well intended as I'm sure this was, it's nigh useless as an accurate basis for comparison.
 Ragnarok.Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2012-02-27 13:54:15  
Fenrir.Minjo said: »
Oat99>Calad90 Calad99>=OaT99 I've done tons of testing and the OaT just wins out. As an example if a level 80 OaT was able to outparse an 85 Caladbolg (12 base DMG difference) Then the 99 OaT will surely out do the level 90 Caladbolg (13 damage difference). At the moment it does me much better then using the level 85 Calad. A Caladbolg at 99 would be better or equal to a level 99 OaT. The main reason it would be ahead is the base DMG and ODD at that point. Caladbolg is a DoT weapon if anything due to the 7 hit/ tough 6 hit (Lower delay then rag). 99 Caladbolg/300%AM/DB/Haste/MarchX2 would just be very mean in the right hands. I'm sticking with my Fulgerante all the way though. If any empyrean is going to be 99 on my character I'm making sure it is my Ukon.
Parsing doesn't tell you what weapon is better. As well intended as I'm sure this was, it's nigh useless as an accurate basis for comparison.

I was going to say this one way but I changed my mind. Could you perhaps give your take on this? Maybe with some examples or personal experience? While we LOVE hit and run condescension in the drk forum (especially the brand you are know..... you know what I said I wasn't going to go there), I think it would be far more helpful if you could help contribute to the thread! While it's fun to just throw out a bland "NO" everytime you dissagree with someone, no one will ever benefit from your far superior intellect if you don't share the details with us.

Sorry, I couldn't keep the tone of irritation from my post. I don't like the manner with which you leave comments all over the forum without explaining why. It doesn't make for a good sense of "community" for the forum if you just post "you're dumb" 100 times a day in a verbose, condescending tone. Please, if only for my benefit, could you expand on your post and offer some insight as to the proper way to compare those two (or at least give your opinion on the matter)?
[+]
 Diabolos.Raelia
By Diabolos.Raelia 2012-02-27 15:58:39  
He obviously spent the last three hours since editing that post with every possible explanation, even threw in the meaning of life, and is now adding his recipe for apple pie. The suspense is killing me.
 Fenrir.Skarwind
user: Skarwind
By Fenrir.Skarwind 2012-02-27 16:15:01  
Oat99>Calad90 Calad99>=OaT99 I've done tons of testing and the OaT just wins out. As an example if a level 80 OaT was able to outparse an 85 Caladbolg (12 base DMG difference) Then the 99 OaT will surely out do the level 90 Caladbolg (13 damage difference). At the moment it does me much better then using the level 85 Calad. A Caladbolg at 99 would be better or equal to a level 99 OaT. The main reason it would be ahead is the base DMG and ODD at that point. Caladbolg is a DoT weapon if anything due to the 7 hit/ tough 6 hit (Lower delay then rag). 99 Caladbolg/300%AM/DB/Haste/MarchX2 would just be very mean in the right hands. I'm sticking with my Fulgerante all the way though. If any empyrean is going to be 99 on my character I'm making sure it is my Ukon.

I was going to say this one way but I changed my mind. Could you perhaps give your take on this? Maybe with some examples or personal experience? While we LOVE hit and run condescension in the drk forum (especially the brand you are know..... you know what I said I wasn't going to go there), I think it would be far more helpful if you could help contribute to the thread! While it's fun to just throw out a bland "NO" everytime you dissagree with someone, no one will ever benefit from your far superior intellect if you don't share the details with us.

Sorry, I couldn't keep the tone of irritation from my post. I don't like the manner with which you leave comments all over the forum without explaining why. It doesn't make for a good sense of "community" for the forum if you just post "you're dumb" 100 times a day in a verbose, condescending tone. Please, if only for my benefit, could you expand on your post and offer some insight as to the proper way to compare those two (or at least give your opinion on the matter)?

Honestly the only situation Calad coming ahead of OaT (99V.85 Calad) is if your accuracy is uttershit and Resolution is just whiffing terribly..

But okay lets put it this way. Say you do parse both weapons, nothing goes wrong(aka the run isn't full of full perle/aurore players). OaT 6 hit/Calad 7 hit (Whatever is best for both), Ideal Resolution/Torcleaver builds. Ideal procs on say Pil, no physical shield, amnesia. Equal buffs/food. Nothing but *** whoopings for exactly 3 minutes flat on the dot in multiple fights.

You are telling parsing wouldn't determine which weapon is better in the least? Taking into consideration rounds of attack, weapon skill frequency and split along with damage and crit averages and total damage done. Not to mention over all DPS(Melee/WS damage included). Also looking at weaponskill frequency and the amount of weapon skills done.

There is theory crafting and testing what would look good on paper. Then there is actively testing in the "field"

You can't just have one or the other, I'm sure we can both agree on that.
 Ragnarok.Returner
user: Nameless
By Ragnarok.Returner 2012-02-27 17:41:00  

I think if you want to only talk about paper math, which is what I get from you rejecting any sort of parse result, then I would direct you to Taint, who put the two weapons into FFXI calculator and suggested that OAT beats even 95 Ragnarok (I would assume under relatively high accuracy situation). OAT comes up real strong on paper is what I am trying to say. In rl you are subjected to human error which will hurt OAT much more if you allow too much TP overflow from not WSing right when you get to 100%, so if anything, a parse would actually hurt OAT since it requires you to play it correctly.

I don't think anyone with Caladbolg 90 will want to say that they rather hear that OAT 99 is stronger since it still requires more work to get Calad to 90 than OAT to 99. So for the person who owns both to suggest that, you can pretty much ignore any possibility of bias opinion. I for one, wish my calad 90 is better, but that's just not the case and I had to finish my OAT from 90 to 99.
 Phoenix.Fredjan
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Fredjan
By Phoenix.Fredjan 2012-02-27 17:45:03  
Twilight Scythe for Pil.
*sits back and waits*
 Cerberus.Kvazz
サーバ: Cerberus
user: kvazz
By Cerberus.Kvazz 2012-02-27 17:52:17  
Phoenix.Fredjan said: »
Twilight Scythe for Pil.
*sits back and waits*

Only really needed if you don't have any CORs, or _only_ have slashing DDs <_>
 Odin.Sawtelle
サーバ: Odin
user: tooheyv
By Odin.Sawtelle 2012-02-27 18:15:35  
Twilight scythe is rather sexy for new nyzul if you get *** with the flan that is healed from physical I would assume. Also elementals!