user: Kalila
By Siren.Kalilla 2012-04-18 10:47:59  

04-18-2012 04:43 AM
[source]
Gildrein
Community Rep

[dev1108] Job Adjustments: Dragoon

• Deep Breathing

• Recast time reduced from fifteen minutes to five.
    • Additional merit points no longer reduce casting time, but instead further enhance wyvern breath effects.

• Empathy

• Now also increases the wyvern's level at a constant rate.
    • Additional merit points no longer simply increase the number of beneficial status effects to the wyvern granted by Spirit Link, but also increase the rate at which the wyvern gains experience.

• Restoring Breath adjustments

• The priority by which status ailments are cured will be adjusted as follows:

(Pre-Adjustment)
      1. Disease/Plague
      2. Curse/Bane/Doom
      3. Paralysis
      4. Blindness
      5. Poison

(Post-Adjustment)
      1. Paralysis
      2. Curse/Bane/Doom
      3. Disease/Plague
      4. Blindness
      5. Poison

Subscribe

Other Job Adjustments:
[+]
 Asura.Teleniel
サーバ: Asura
Game: FFXI
user: Teleniel
By Asura.Teleniel 2012-04-18 11:22:26  
Right... I'm interested in what "Further Enhance" turns out to be. If it's just a higher Healing Breath cap / offensive breath damage (lets get real, nobody merited it for offensive breath damage) would it be worth it to go from

5/5 Angon
5/5 Deep Breathing

to

5/5 Angon
1/5 Deep Breathing
?/5 Strafe
?/5 Empathy

I can't see where Strafe is really that useful... and I don't use Spirit Link often, nor do I think that enhanced XP rate for wyvern is that useful (especially at 75+)
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2012-04-18 11:42:14  
Asura.Teleniel said: »
Right... I'm interested in what "Further Enhance" turns out to be. If it's just a higher Healing Breath cap / offensive breath damage (lets get real, nobody merited it for offensive breath damage) would it be worth it to go from

5/5 Angon
5/5 Deep Breathing

to

5/5 Angon
1/5 Deep Breathing
?/5 Strafe
?/5 Empathy

I can't see where Strafe is really that useful... and I don't use Spirit Link often, nor do I think that enhanced XP rate for wyvern is that useful (especially at 75+)

I personally use Spirit Link when I'm hasted or marched or something to buff the wyvern, I think I'm 3/5 on Empathy, 2/5 Deep Breathing, and 5/5 Angon. I stayed away from Strafe lol. It'd be one thing if "breath accuracy" would allow it to target the Voidwatch NM's weaknesses...

Also curious about the Deep Breathing modification.
 Bahamut.Illyst
サーバ: Bahamut
user: illyst
By Bahamut.Illyst 2012-04-18 11:48:05  
What they really need to do is give the wyvern a huge hp buff, or native 50% pdt like avatars
 Ragnarok.Eriina
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Eriina
By Ragnarok.Eriina 2012-04-18 12:09:14  
If the 1/5 version of deep breathing post-update is as strong as the pre-update deep breathing I can't see any reason to go more than 1/5. With wyvern HP+ gear I barely find use for deep breathing as it is. Regular magic trigger breath > followed immediately by the JA healing breath would max my HP regardless. I tend to only use deeo breathing for lulz if someone comes off raise sick or something. Deep breathing is just overkill.

Conversely empathy is really usefull in the buffs it gives the wyvern. Not just to get the good buffs but to out-run the bad ones like hasso :s

I'd think about
Angon 5/5
Deep Breathing 1/5
Empathy 4/5
Strafe 0/5

or if you absolutely hate the idea of empathy: strafe 4/5 i guess... i wouldn't recommend it over empathy but increased matk and m.acc certainly isn't going to "hurt" you in the long run, even if it doesnt really help in a significant way.
 Phoenix.Dabackpack
MSPaint Winner
サーバ: Phoenix
By Phoenix.Dabackpack 2012-04-18 14:27:28  
Agreed. We'll just have to see what the Deep Breathing augment becomes. It could be something more than potency boost, who knows. By the look of it, though, it'll end up little more than "enhances breath effect". That's nice and all, but there's much too much use for it unless you're keen on soloing something hard. The ability was cool at 75, when DRG solos were more feasible, at least.
5/5 Angon for sure, and the rest into Empathy is probably the way to go.

Though this Empathy update is not really that good. I would much prefer a DT- effect, since the biggest problem I have on DRG is that my wyvern dies from AoE, even with Steady Wing on.
 Ragnarok.Eriina
user: Eriina
By Ragnarok.Eriina 2012-04-18 18:10:09  
I would take a bonus to -DT over a bonus to exp gained in a heart beat, heh.

Meh. Maybe the exp bonus will show up in places like salvage or dynamis where exp is low :/
By Ophannus 2012-04-20 13:02:58  
Considering the EXP bonus increases the wyvern's Attack/Defense/Accuracy/Magic Defense/Evasion,elemental resistences and bonuses to both Healing and ELemental breaths, I'll gladly take it.

Also for the first few times you use it, it should fully heal your wyvern since wyverns HP is completely restored when they get the parameter boost. With this adjustment Spirit Link is a pretty all-in-one ability

Spirit Link
-Restores Wyvern's HP.
-Grants a powerful Regen effect to Wyvern.
-Removes status ailments to Wyvern.
-Transfers 50% of the Wyvern's TP to the Dragoon.
-Copys buffs to Wyvern.
-Increases EXP bonus to Wyvern.
 Sylph.Kelvinclein
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Kelvinclein 2012-05-18 05:00:59  
Well sure Spirit Link does a lot for the wyvern nowadays. I remember when it was just used to cure wyvern and almost killed the drg lol.

I still think Call Wyvern recast should be reduced tho, at least 5-10 minutes, or at least reset timer when the DRG dies, I think that would work also. So if you let your wyvern die, it's your fault and you have to wait up to 20 minutes, but if you die, you can call the wyvern right back.

DRG relies a lot on wyvern nowadays, and seems that this is the path SE has chosen for it to be.

And again, it's kinda unfair that other jobs have really short recast on call pet/automaton.
 Carbuncle.Shadowreapper
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: MrReapper
By Carbuncle.Shadowreapper 2012-05-18 05:43:53  
I was 5/5 angon, 4/5 DP, and 1/5 empathy, and went into abyssea for some BS, and figured i'd try healing breath.
Highest cure i had (maxed out my hp), was 2.2k ish, with a non buffed wyvern..

With more hp, and with a full xp wyvern, pretty sure can hit2.5k easily. But like some ppl stated before, what's the point?
When you're in a party and need to heal someone, you barely heal for more than 1k, coz the guy will be full hp.

Deep breath works really great as well vs spiked flans. Easilly hit a 2k breath when stardiver is only doing 1.5k ish.

Also, i'm pretty sure our wyvern get some form of DT, and I think it's at least 30%DT. (I wanna say 50%, but not sure at all) That + the stoneskin for 2.5k+, your wyvern shouldn't die.
Actually, only time you should lose the wyvern is when you die. Plus if you do Voidwatch, you'll have temp to heal wyvern.

And DRG isn't that much reliant on the wyvern as a bst, a pup, or a smn would be. Sprit jump and soul jump will be ***you say? Use regular jump, with the correct gear (af1+1 feet, barone stuff etc), you'll be able to pull out some nice dmg thx to the VIT modifer, even tho the tp return will suck compared to new jumps.
 Sylph.Kelvinclein
By Sylph.Kelvinclein 2012-05-18 07:08:05  
Carbuncle.Shadowreapper said: »
I was 5/5 angon, 4/5 DP, and 1/5 empathy, and went into abyssea for some BS, and figured i'd try healing breath.
Highest cure i had (maxed out my hp), was 2.2k ish, with a non buffed wyvern..

With more hp, and with a full xp wyvern, pretty sure can hit2.5k easily. But like some ppl stated before, what's the point?
When you're in a party and need to heal someone, you barely heal for more than 1k, coz the guy will be full hp.

Deep breath works really great as well vs spiked flans. Easilly hit a 2k breath when stardiver is only doing 1.5k ish.

Also, i'm pretty sure our wyvern get some form of DT, and I think it's at least 30%DT. (I wanna say 50%, but not sure at all) That + the stoneskin for 2.5k+, your wyvern shouldn't die.
Actually, only time you should lose the wyvern is when you die. Plus if you do Voidwatch, you'll have temp to heal wyvern.

And DRG isn't that much reliant on the wyvern as a bst, a pup, or a smn would be. Sprit jump and soul jump will be ***you say? Use regular jump, with the correct gear (af1+1 feet, barone stuff etc), you'll be able to pull out some nice dmg thx to the VIT modifer, even tho the tp return will suck compared to new jumps.

I never got too interested in Deep Breathing, got Empathy 5/5 right after capping angon, always loved the Idea of giving buff to wyvern.

But like I said, it's sad that you die and you lose the wyvern, would be cool if they just made the wyvern timer to reset when you die before it.

Wyvern are hard to take down, I soloed an NM using only my wyvern the other day (Nommo) that I couldn't possibly have killed otherwise because it keep spamming encumberment WS and en-amnesia or whatever. Wasn't fun :p but interesting to see how easily the wyvern was surviving.. I was getting hit for 100-150 ish, and I didn't even used Steady Wing (one of the times i forget i have it lol).
 Lakshmi.Tanama
サーバ: Lakshmi
user: JDvasquez
By Lakshmi.Tanama 2012-05-18 07:53:53  
Besides transfering buffs, 5/5 Empathy allows our wyvern to be capped in one kill if the mob gives EXP?

Deep Breathing doesn't sound as bad anymore.
 Sylph.Kelvinclein
By Sylph.Kelvinclein 2012-05-18 08:13:48  
Lakshmi.Tanama said: »
Besides transfering buffs, 5/5 Empathy allows our wyvern to be capped in one kill if the mob gives EXP?

No, it' even better. You use spirit Link = you cap exp automatically. I dunno if you can further upgrade thru ordinary exp. But just after update i tried spirit link a few times, the first time it gave me the message you used to get when your wyvern was getting upgrade.

Also, I dunno if this is a glitch, even if your wyvern doesn't have full health, you restore (the first time) its health without spending any HP at all. Which is cool.
 Lakshmi.Zeosilot
user: Zeosilot
By Lakshmi.Zeosilot 2012-05-18 17:47:25  

You don't have to be fighting anything when using Spirit Link. 5/5 Empathy would cap your wyvern with one use if you were... randomly standing in East Sarutaburta.
I myself use it mostly when soloing Limbus or participating in Walk of Echoes.

Sylph.Kelvinclein said: »
No, it' even better. You use spirit Link = you cap exp automatically. I dunno if you can further upgrade thru ordinary exp. But just after update i tried spirit link a few times, the first time it gave me the message you used to get when your wyvern was getting upgrade.

Also, I dunno if this is a glitch, even if your wyvern doesn't have full health, you restore (the first time) its health without spending any HP at all. Which is cool.

It's not a glitch, your wyvern gains full HP when it levels up. So it recovers full health with no cost to your own hit points.
 Lakshmi.Tanama
user: JDvasquez
By Lakshmi.Tanama 2012-05-19 13:29:53  
Thank you Zeo.

I will think this over thoroughly.

As for Empathy,

1/5 Empathy merits would take 5 spirit links to cap your wyvern's exp. It would take 6 minutes assuming your Spirit Link is ready to use and transfer only 1 of your beneficial status effects per use.

2/5 Empathy merits would take 3 spirit links to cap your wyvern's exp. (4 minutes, 30 seconds | + 2 effects per use)

3/5 Empathy merits would take 2 spirit links to cap your wyvern's exp. (3 minutes | + 3 effects per use)

4/5 Empathy merits would also take 2 spirit links to cap your wyvern's exp. (3 minutes | + 4 effects per use)

And 5/5 Empathy merits only use 1 spirit link to cap your wyvern's exp. (Instant | + 5 effect per use)

Now, I recently returned to the game after about a four year hiatus. With that said, I am not sure on the duration of high-end battles such as VWNMs, Prominence Watcher(sp?). Basically is 5/5 Angon a must? Is 3/5 or 4/5 good enough for end-game fights?

As for Deep Breathing, the five minute timer on it makes it more attractive with the bonus. As an elvaan with HP merits it has it's uses but my wyvern HP set isn't complete. I do not have wyrm armet nor any of the newer wyvern HP+ equipment. With what I have, my Healing Breath IV caps in the 800s.
 Odin.Eikechi
サーバ: Odin
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-05-19 13:32:22  
Bahamut.Illyst said: »
What they really need to do is give the wyvern a huge hp buff, or native 50% pdt like avatars

They gave wyverns a native dt- trait.... like 2 updates ago, when they also added that sturdy wing JA or w/e that one is called that gives wyvern SS
 Ragnarok.Sekundes
user: Sekundes
By Ragnarok.Sekundes 2012-05-19 13:35:03  
5/5 angon is ALWAYS a good choice.

I have always had 1 DB and 4 empathy.
 Lakshmi.Zeosilot
user: Zeosilot
By Lakshmi.Zeosilot 2012-05-19 15:39:06  
Now, I recently returned to the game after about a four year hiatus. With that said, I am not sure on the duration of high-end battles such as VWNMs, Prominence Watcher(sp?). Basically is 5/5 Angon a must? Is 3/5 or 4/5 good enough for end-game fights?

It's all a matter of personal preference based on how you play to be honest. 5/5 Angon is probably our best tier 2 merit (especially if you have Wyrm Finger Gauntlets +2)... but it's only the most useful if you spend the majority of your time on Dragoon fighting monsters formidable enough to serve a purpose.

However, if all you do is solo/low man then Empathy and Deep Breathing may serve you better.

I have 5 Angon, 4 Empathy, and 1 Deep Breathing. I find there are few situations where I feel compelled to use DB though so I may take it out for 5/5 Empathy.