Borealis VS Caladbolg(90)

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Dark Knight » Borealis VS Caladbolg(90)
Borealis VS Caladbolg(90)
First Page 2 3 4
 Quetzalcoatl.Thistle
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
Game: FFXI
user: MysteryX
By Quetzalcoatl.Thistle 2012-09-19 23:46:10  
I was wondering if any veteran DRKs out there would like to chime in on which is better, the Caladbolg(90) or the Borealis. Borealis seems to be easier to get a lower hit build (since the 480 delay), higher damage and the severe damage. On the other hand, Caladbolg has aftermath.
[+]
 Leviathan.Frotaut
サーバ: Leviathan
user: Frotaut2
By Leviathan.Frotaut 2012-09-19 23:53:31  
Borealis i have both and almost never use cala
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
サーバ: Bismarck
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2012-09-20 00:27:51  
Caladbolg(90) should beat out Borealis. The severe weapon skill damage proc is only 8% on a weapon skill, while the aftermath applies to the melee hits, which is where most of the DPS will come from.

Each weapon has it's own catch 22 though, so unfortuneately as cool as a Borealis is with the snow-fall aura when engaged, the 90 calad still wins
[+]
 Leviathan.Frotaut
By Leviathan.Frotaut 2012-09-20 00:54:57  
considering if your using GS your prob using reso the aftermath does not apply cala is a fun toy but bor has done better on every parse i run and easier to x hit.
edit: again i have both and using reso spams i always take my bor, but if i'm f'ing around in abyssea i will prob grab the cala. because i'm on pld and use cala to proc with. i havn't mathed it out so idk a "true" answer but by parsing myself against myself using the dif weapons and appropriate sets for tp and ws bor always comes out ahead spamming reso leaving torcleaver sadly far behind damage wise outside of abyssea.
 Bismarck.Bloodrose
user: Bloodrose
By Bismarck.Bloodrose 2012-09-20 01:07:48  
another option to consider is the Fulguerante occ attacks twice. From what i heard and read, it'll outparse 90 Calad and Borealis in a good set up
[+]
 Cerberus.Senkyuutai
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Yuffy
By Cerberus.Senkyuutai 2012-09-20 01:11:56  
Leviathan.Frotaut said: »
considering if your using GS your prob using reso the aftermath does not apply cala is a fun toy but bor has done better on every parse i run and easier to x hit.
Wasn't it proven that the AM doesn't make up for the difference between doing 1 Torcleaver and 1 Resolution?
 Quetzalcoatl.Loneshadow
By Quetzalcoatl.Loneshadow 2012-09-20 01:14:06  
Rag 95/99 > Calad 99 > OAT > Borealis > Junk
[+]
 Leviathan.Frotaut
By Leviathan.Frotaut 2012-09-20 01:15:45  
OP said nothing about those other Gs he simply asked bor or 90 cala.
i gave him my honest answer i would agree 99 rag 99 cala but that wasn't his ?
 Quetzalcoatl.Loneshadow
By Quetzalcoatl.Loneshadow 2012-09-20 01:20:07  
OP said nothing about those other Gs he simply asked bor or 90 cala.
i gave him my honest answer i would agree 99 rag 99 cala but that wasn't his ?
I answered that question, since 90 Calad isn't on that list. It must be junk, shocker. Use Borealis, work on OAT. Profit.
[+]
 Leviathan.Frotaut
By Leviathan.Frotaut 2012-09-20 01:21:12  
Agreed
 Quetzalcoatl.Thistle
user: MysteryX
By Quetzalcoatl.Thistle 2012-09-20 03:36:47  
Thanks guys, I was thinking the same but I just wanted to make sure. I wasn't sure if using Torecleaver for the aftermath then using pure Resolution on Caladbolg(90) until the aftermath wore off would beat out the Borealis over time since the aftermath counts the normal hits as well.
 Phoenix.Sehachan
Guide Maker
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Seha
By Phoenix.Sehachan 2012-09-20 04:37:16  
Another very important thing to keep in mind is that Borealis is sooooooooooo pretty!
[+]
 Cerberus.Detzu
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Detzu
By Cerberus.Detzu 2012-09-20 06:06:14  
Caladbolg 90.
 Odin.Creaucent
サーバ: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2012-09-20 07:42:43  
Borealis. You might wana look into making a ragnarok.
 Bismarck.Faelar
user: Faelar
By Bismarck.Faelar 2012-09-20 08:02:26  
i'm on pld and use cala to proc with.

Sorry I had to :|
[+]
 Siren.Kyte
サーバ: Siren
By Siren.Kyte 2012-09-20 08:06:01  
Cerberus.Senkyuutai said: »
Wasn't it proven that the AM doesn't make up for the difference between doing 1 Torcleaver and 1 Resolution?

AM1 might not, but I suspect that AM3 would- so if you have TP wings and/or are starting a short fight with 300 TP I would use the Caladbolg. The fact that the difference between Torcleaver and Resolution at 300% is less pronounced also helps.
 Asura.Tamoa
サーバ: Asura
user: Tamoa
By Asura.Tamoa 2012-09-20 08:18:18  
Phoenix.Sehachan said: »
Another very important thing to keep in mind is that Borealis is sooooooooooo pretty!

Unfortunately the little sparkles don't show, but it's glowing! :D

[+]
 Fenrir.Curty
サーバ: Fenrir
user: Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2012-09-20 09:22:16  
I really get confused why everyone bashes calad so hard.

1) Assuming both Torcleaver and Reso are near perfectly geared, the damage difference is laughable compared to what AM3 does.. especially in a high buff situation.

2) It can be easily shown AM3 Calad white damage vs AM Ragnarok white damage gives a slight lead to Calad. (not to mention Scourge is completely laughable when compared to Torcleaver)

3) I have a Borealis and have parsed against 90 Calads on content such as Ig-alima with equivalent gear/buffs. The difference in white damage is sickening and far too much for Bore's slightly higher WS damage (which does not end up much more than a 6~10% increase) to keep up with calad.

The only situations I see 99 Ragnarok being a better choice than 99 Calad are
- highly evasive content
- content where tping to 300% before engaging is not easily done (or fight is too long AM3 could wear and be difficult to reapply)
- you want to have a weapon for warrior as well.

So in my opinion at least:
99Calad>99Ragnarok in voidwatch
99Ragnarok>99Calad in legion

Will note I'm a bit biased though because I have watched this guy with 99 calad not be challenged by a 99 rag drk even once:

Think he parsed 40% on this one Note: I know this is mostly due to the other DDs being terrible, but still impressive.
By Avitori 2012-09-20 09:26:56  
Rag is better... don't even start lol
[+]
 Fenrir.Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2012-09-20 09:34:52  
I've still yet to see an accurate explanation as of why, barring the things I have already listed.
By Avitori 2012-09-20 10:04:13  
Seems like everyone in this thread already pointed out to you why it is the better weapon.

http://www.ffxiah.com/forum/topic/31399/great-sword-selection-question/

Fenrir.Curty said: »
Will note I'm a bit biased though because I have watched this guy with 99 calad not be challenged by a 99 rag drk even once:
 Asura.Jem
user: Jemmy
By Asura.Jem 2012-09-20 10:32:45  
Sure, if you're walking into fights with 300TP ready, Acc is not an issue and the fight will last no longer than 90 seconds then Calad wins. However, as soon as you have to make a sacrifice to maintain AM3 then Ragna pulls back ahead.

Buffed to the nines (discounting atmacites), the difference between 14% Crit Rate and going from 20% > 50% ODD is worth 36 DPS on Qilin according to Mote's spreadsheet. That's a 3240 damage advantage to Calad in its AM3 cycle in the best case scenario (Less if LR is down/missing haste/missing other buffs/whatever). So even if the Rag only gets 2 Resos off to that 1 Torcleaver and you are extremely generous and say Torcleaver=Reso then the Ragna is still ahead (EDIT: Unless for some unfathomable reason your Reso average is below 3240)
 Fenrir.Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2012-09-20 10:35:24  
@ Avitori:
See a lot of opinions with no explanations per usual. I'll work out some math if I have time today to highlight why Rag is only superior under the conditions I've already provided.

Edit: looks like that was already done above
 Fenrir.Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2012-09-20 10:38:48  
Asura.Jem said: »
Sure, if you're walking into fights with 300TP ready, Acc is not an issue and the fight will last no longer than 90 seconds then Calad wins. However, as soon as you have to make a sacrifice to maintain AM3 then Ragna pulls back ahead.

Buffed to the nines (discounting atmacites), the difference between 14% Crit Rate and going from 20% > 50% ODD is worth 36 DPS on Qilin according to Mote's spreadsheet. That's a 3240 damage advantage to Calad in its AM3 cycle in the best case scenario (Less if LR is down/missing haste/missing other buffs/whatever). So even if the Rag only gets 2 Resos off to that 1 Torcleaver and you are extremely generous and say Torcleaver=Reso then the Ragna is still ahead (EDIT: Unless for some unfathomable reason your Reso average is below 3240)

Don't understand this part right here.
 Odin.Creaucent
サーバ: Odin
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2012-09-20 10:42:45  
Missing one thing the weapons need to be the same level. Every drk who has a rag can 95 it not every drk with cala can take it to 95. So thats what it comes down to a 10 level or 5 level difference in weapons. No drk in their right minds would sacrifice 300tp on a scourge over reso the AM only adds ~4% crit rate. Then you have rags hidden effect that is always on and acc+35-40 which allows you to lose some acc in ws gear for more str/att. Btw 85 cala has like 109 dmg where as 95 rag has 133.

Edit im completely unbiased as i have neither. Though if i did make one it would be ragnarok its all gold and shiney amd would match my apoc.
 Fenrir.Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2012-09-20 10:47:22  
worlaceuk said: »
What he is saying pal is you need to save 300 tp to keep am3 up, and while your saving tp to 300 rag has ws at least twice.

That is a wrong assumption when in voidwatch, pal.
 Asura.Jem
By Asura.Jem 2012-09-20 10:47:25  
The bottom line is Calad needs absolutely everything in its favour to beat Rag. As soon as that is no longer the case then Ragna wins. So the question becomes why spend the gil on Calad when you could get Ragna for less which beats it in the vast, vast majority of situations.
[+]
 Asura.Jem
By Asura.Jem 2012-09-20 10:48:52  
It isn't a wrong assumption as using a Dusty Wing for TP at capped haste is a net loss in damage (or at least that is what I have been led to believe by people who mathed it out)
 Fenrir.Curty
By Fenrir.Curty 2012-09-20 10:56:03  
I'll come back with some math later, class time for now. Will say a 3240 damage difference over a 90 second period, seems way understated.
First Page 2 3 4