フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Dragoon » So many polearms o.o
So many polearms o.o
First Page 2 3 4
 Fenrir.Tangwheeler
サーバ: Fenrir
Game: FFXI
user: brylan42
By Fenrir.Tangwheeler 2012-11-25 00:45:30  
Alright I have read around on several forum posts and I'm just looking for a straightforward answer. I don't have enough of a soul to give away for a Ryunohige, so should I make a Gungnir or OAT as a main? Which would be better and why?
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
サーバ: Ragnarok
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2012-11-25 00:55:11  
I want to say the DRG with spreadsheet knowledge, from my ls, says that its Ryunohige > 99 Gungnir > Oat > 95 Gungnir, though I could be wrong on OaT vs 95 Gungnir.
[+]
 Fenrir.Tangwheeler
By Fenrir.Tangwheeler 2012-11-25 01:01:50  
Any idea on how hard it is to upgrade from 95-99 Gungnir?
 Odin.Cindro
サーバ: Odin
user: Cindro
By Odin.Cindro 2012-11-25 01:03:43  
Let's say around 75m gil, or if you get yourself a decent ADL static who doesn't mind handing out marrows- less.
 Fenrir.Tangwheeler
By Fenrir.Tangwheeler 2012-11-25 01:07:54  
So OAT lance it is then. >_>
 Ragnarok.Erikthecleric
By Ragnarok.Erikthecleric 2012-11-25 01:59:27  
Forgot completely til now, but if you happen to have Odin2 drops access, the Herja's Fork is right under 99 Gungnir.
 Fenrir.Tangwheeler
By Fenrir.Tangwheeler 2012-11-25 02:01:38  
I don't at the moment but I will definitely look into that! Thank you!
 Bahamut.Fistandantilus
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Fistandantilus 2012-11-25 02:41:36  
What is the name of the 99 Oat x2 double attack polearm?
By Solrain 2012-11-25 03:22:04  
Chauve-Souris
 Bahamut.Fistandantilus
サーバ: Bahamut
By Bahamut.Fistandantilus 2012-11-25 07:25:09  
Thank You
 Quetzalcoatl.Hyunkyl
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: hyunkyl
By Quetzalcoatl.Hyunkyl 2012-11-25 09:32:44  
How far ahead is Herja's fork compared to Chauve-Souris(OaT 99)?
 Odin.Creaucent
user: Creaucent
By Odin.Creaucent 2012-11-25 09:44:18  
I still like my Rhongomiant not as good as Gungnir but it looks sexier. Id say if you can make a Gungnir then make it its a nice weapon.
 Fenrir.Thandar
user: Thandar
By Fenrir.Thandar 2012-11-25 10:06:08  
Quetzalcoatl.Hyunkyl said: »

I'm working on OaT, but I also just got into a OdinV2 LS, so if Herja's is really better than OaT, I'd like to know!
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2012-11-25 10:36:48  
Fenrir.Thandar said: »
Quetzalcoatl.Hyunkyl said: »

I'm working on OaT, but I also just got into a OdinV2 LS, so if Herja's is really better than OaT, I'd like to know!
A really quick spreadsheet check showed about 9.5% difference in favor of Herja's.
[+]
 Fenrir.Thandar
By Fenrir.Thandar 2012-11-25 10:54:49  
Hmmm, well I guess I'll stop OaT then, thanks Martel!
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2012-11-25 11:08:50  
Honestly, I'd suggest you keep working on the OAT. It's not hugely difficult, or all that expensive. And I have yet to see a single Herja's since I started doing Einherjar again.

FFXIDB has the Herja's drop rate at 3.7%. Depending on how often you do Ein, that could take some time/luck. We do a T3, then a T2 then buy the KI for T1 and Do Odin II. If your whole group has amps to burn you could just do Odin II every 3 days.

Finishing OAT gives you a good polearm to use till Herja's actually drops.(and you get it. dunno how competition looks in your group.)
[+]
 Carbuncle.Shadowreapper
サーバ: Carbuncle
user: MrReapper
By Carbuncle.Shadowreapper 2012-11-25 11:12:23  
You shouldn't stop doing oat.
Idk how your ls works on drops, but you'll prolly have to lot against others to get herja's. And considering the low drop rate, might takes month before you actually get to see one.

You should work on oat untll you get herjas.
 Bismarck.Altar
サーバ: Bismarck
user: altar1
By Bismarck.Altar 2012-11-25 11:12:25  
Ragnarok.Martel said: »
FFXIDB has the Herja's drop rate at 3.7%. Depending on how often you do Ein, that could take some time/luck. We do a T3, then a T2 then buy the KI for T1 and Do Odin II. If your whole group has amps to burn you could just do Odin II every 3 days.

If your group is good enough that you can beat odin v2 every time, you still gain ichor if you rotate T3/OdinV2 and buy KI for t1 & t2 with ichor.
But ya, the fork is a rare drop.
[+]
 Fenrir.Thandar
By Fenrir.Thandar 2012-11-25 11:20:36  
Well, I don't play DRG very often, so it isn't hurting anything, was just for fun, I might still make it.
 Fenrir.Thandar
By Fenrir.Thandar 2012-11-25 11:20:37  
Well, I don't play DRG very often, so it isn't hurting anything, was just for fun, I might still make it.
By Kiralai 2012-11-25 15:19:11  
If you don't have enough of a soul to give away for the game's best polearm (Ryunohige, obviously), I might be so bold as to suggest not giving away ANY of your soul for the Gungnir. In order for it to be worth it, you'd really want to get the 99 version. (And if you were going to put in that much time, effort, and gil into getting a 99 Gungnir, you may as well have gone ahead with the Ryunohige at that point.) I tried and tried to come up with reasons to settle for Gungnir instead of pushing for Ryunohige and I couldn't. (SO WHAT'S UP ALEXANDRITE. COME TO MAMA!) Anyway, in your situation, I would suggest doing the OAT until you can get Herja's. That way you can keep your soul intact and still have a decent polearm.
 Phoenix.Dramatica
サーバ: Phoenix
user: Darkmagi1
By Phoenix.Dramatica 2012-11-25 16:00:55  
Honestly, I'd suggest you keep working on the OAT. It's not hugely difficult, or all that expensive. And I have yet to see a single Herja's since I started doing Einherjar again.

Finishing OAT gives you a good polearm to use till Herja's actually drops.(and you get it. dunno how competition looks in your group.)
Drop rate is hardly 3.7%, FFXIDB is recording the countless Odin1 kills.
Oh wow, just saw that they updated it. 9.3% drop rate with just odin2 loot pool.
 Odin.Eikechi
user: Eike
By Odin.Eikechi 2012-11-25 16:07:56  
Kiralai said: »
If you don't have enough of a soul to give away for the game's best polearm (Ryunohige, obviously), I might be so bold as to suggest not giving away ANY of your soul for the Gungnir. In order for it to be worth it, you'd really want to get the 99 version. (And if you were going to put in that much time, effort, and gil into getting a 99 Gungnir, you may as well have gone ahead with the Ryunohige at that point.) I tried and tried to come up with reasons to settle for Gungnir instead of pushing for Ryunohige and I couldn't. (SO WHAT'S UP ALEXANDRITE. COME TO MAMA!) Anyway, in your situation, I would suggest doing the OAT until you can get Herja's. That way you can keep your soul intact and still have a decent polearm.

Did you really just compare the gil sink of 30,000 alex pieces (PLUS the PW drops?) to that of a relic? what?

Edit: not to mention the EFFORT of a mythic? LOL
 Ragnarok.Martel
By Ragnarok.Martel 2012-11-25 16:12:06  
Phoenix.Dramatica said: »

Drop rate is hardly 3.7%, FFXIDB is recording the countless Odin1 kills.
Oh wow, just saw that they updated it. 9.3% drop rate with just odin2 loot pool.

I dunno why I didn't think about the duplicate mob thing. I noticed the same issue on kunwu iron drop rate on Bahamut v2 vs v1.

9% is much better. But there's still luck/competition/Odin frequency. I'd still just make the OAT in the meantime.
 Quetzalcoatl.Hyunkyl
サーバ: Quetzalcoatl
user: hyunkyl
By Quetzalcoatl.Hyunkyl 2012-11-25 20:13:29  
Herja's being sold for 20 mil on my server atm... OaT costed me less the 3 mil for the silver mirrors and riftsands tho.
 Fenrir.Thandar
By Fenrir.Thandar 2012-11-25 20:22:20  
Yeah, I probably will, would OaT pull ahead under high buffs or something?
 Fenrir.Nightfyre
user: Nightfyre
By Fenrir.Nightfyre 2012-11-25 22:06:45  
The margin between the two actually increases slightly with buffs due to static delay on WS and OAT's higher WS frequency.
[+]
By Kiralai 2012-11-26 02:35:29  
Odin.Eikechi said: »
Did you really just compare the gil sink of 30,000 alex pieces (PLUS the PW drops?) to that of a relic? what?

Edit: not to mention the EFFORT of a mythic? LOL

TLDR Version: Your mileage may vary, depending on how much you care about Dragoon. If Dragoon is your "baby," you'll probably want to bite the bullet and go for Ryu (which is time-consuming, but really not as impossible as you'd think). If DRG is just another job to you, but you are someone who strives to be decently geared on all your jobs, then Gungnir is certainly sufficient, but still a large investment, which is why I suggested OAT.

LONG Version:
I did compare the two, because it's a matter of perspective. Some people think that any time/money/effort spent on getting a "legendary" (Empyrean/Mythic/Relic) weapon that ISN'T the best weapon for that particular job is a waste of resources, particularly for one as underwhelming as Gungnir. (The fact that Gungnir's defense down trait overwrites Angon instead of stacking with it is really holding it back, for no other reason than SE hasn't felt like fixing it yet, if ever.) Keep in mind we are talking about Dragoon here, and a Relic/Empy WAR or SAM will sweep a Relic/Empy Dragoon under the rug, and it's unfortunate. It shouldn't take Ryunohige to truly compete with those jobs, but it basically does. I admit though, that if DRG isn't your favorite job, then that probably won't matter, and Gungnir is probably more than sufficient in that case.

Anyway, depending upon how long you've been playing and what kind of things you take part in, you may already have a big chunk of the effort for mythic already finished. My old character (now my mule) had 100,000+ ichor, 150,000+ nyzul points (and runic key), Captain rank, all 3 ToAU king titles, all salvage titles, and Odin title, and I hadn't even been trying for the mythic on her. Admittedly it is a much rougher road if you are a newer player or just never took part in that content.

I'm doing the mythic quest on my new character that was made post-Abyssea, so the real limiting factor for me the Einherjar entry cooldown... I don't really have a hard time getting Alexandrite. I've only been gathering for about a week and I'm already 10% done with it, and I did not start with a pool of income. I solo (or duo) Dynamis, do a daily Salvage (solo, duo, or trio) for some free Alexandrite (I think my best run so far was 156 from Silver Seas), and take part in Voidwatch when I have the time/when there are worthwhile /shouts for it. I buy some at 10k each from friends, and some at 15k each from strangers. That's it. (I understand that this portion of it would be made harder if I did not have friends willing to provide a good discount.) With regards to the rest of it (Nyzul, Assaults, etc.), I find it fun for the most part. Doing Nyzul/Assaults 2 days each week isn't all that time consuming, and it's incredibly easy at level 99. The biggest limiting factor (at least for me) is not Alexandrite, or even effort. It's the cooldown required for Salvage/Einherjar entry. But honestly, if I can get to the point where the only thing in between me and my mythic is a 3 day wait for Einherjar, I will already be content to wait.

And as for Pandemonium Warden... Yeah, I'm certainly not looking forward to gathering the pops, but I'm pretty certain the fight itself is easier than Arch Dynamis Lord and you only need 3 Scoria, rather than 5 marrows. Gathering the pop sets will certainly be terrible and full of suck though, yes.
[+]
 Valefor.Philemon
サーバ: Valefor
user: detlef
By Valefor.Philemon 2012-11-26 03:33:40  
I agree completely. When I decided to work on a polearm, I decided go big or go home. You can make a Gungnir and you'll do fine. You can make an OAT and you'll do fine (and every DRG should make one in my opinion). Or you can go all-in and make a Ryunohige and become an incredibly competitive DD.

Yes it's a lot of work, but the increase in performance over a Gungnir justifies the extra effort in my eyes. Your mileage may vary, but if you're gonna invest 200m into a Gungnir I would advise instead to consider investing 450m into a Ryunohige.
[+]
 Siren.Ihm
VIP
サーバ: Siren
user: Ihm
By Siren.Ihm 2012-11-26 07:27:59  
Valefor.Philemon said: »
I agree completely. When I decided to work on a polearm, I decided go big or go home. You can make a Gungnir and you'll do fine. You can make an OAT and you'll do fine (and every DRG should make one in my opinion). Or you can go all-in and make a Ryunohige and become an incredibly competitive DD.

Yes it's a lot of work, but the increase in performance over a Gungnir justifies the extra effort in my eyes. Your mileage may vary, but if you're gonna invest 200m into a Gungnir I would advise instead to consider investing 450m into a Ryunohige.

Its not so much just the gil investment... 200m gil will give you a 99 Gungnir with next to no effort except for a few trials which really aren't hard. 450m gil will (Over a long period of time) get you the ALEXANDRITE ONLY for a Mythic, lets not forget you also need the titles, assaults, einherjar, nyzul and zeni, and thats JUST the level 75 version.
[+]
First Page 2 3 4