users online
フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Warrior » Axes and Ruinator
Axes and Ruinator
First Page 2
 Bismarck.Resievil
サーバ: Bismarck
Game: FFXI
By Bismarck.Resievil 2013-02-16 00:22:32  
So I can't find any good talk here about axes and ruinator. Let's change that, seeing as how we have a 1hander buff inbound I'd say it's time to discuss some good axe builds. I personally don't think it will ever out at legion and best the other good stuff that would be there but I think it would manage very well just about every where as is. So I can't wait to see what can happen when the update gets here.
 Lakshmi.Saevel
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-02-16 04:43:20  
Ruinator is a bad a$$ WS, just attached to a job with no attack bonus's and using /DNC.

It's build would be almost identical to Resolution, maxed STR with both ele belt and gorget. Double STR axes I think would be the best choice, WAR can't use Gutler and I don't think Farsha would be worth it.

http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Ruinator

Five hit as /NIN,
100% STR WSC
1.2 fTP per hit (belt + gorget)
And a ~35% attack bonus.

IDK about you guys but that's stupid powerful. It's only limiter is the 2.0 ratio cap from being 1H.
 Shiva.Arana
サーバ: Shiva
user: Arana1
By Shiva.Arana 2013-02-16 04:48:01  
Lakshmi.Saevel said: »
Double STR axes I think would be the best choice
Da axe main is better.
[+]
By Quiznor 2013-02-16 04:49:25  
 Ramuh.Scizor
サーバ: Ramuh
user: Scizor
By Ramuh.Scizor 2013-02-16 05:09:52  
Any budget gear sets going around for Ruinator?
 Lakshmi.Saevel
サーバ: Lakshmi
By Lakshmi.Saevel 2013-02-16 05:24:16  
Ramuh.Scizor said: »
Any budget gear sets going around for Ruinator?

It's a resolution set. Most of your Ukko's set will also work just need slight modifications.
 Bismarck.Resievil
By Bismarck.Resievil 2013-02-20 17:40:22  
I've been thinking about TP sets and I think I may have come up with a good one for axes

Axes double attack 11 axe and the str axe
ammo could probably be whatever
Head Ares' Mask +1
Neck portus collar
earrings would be the expected brutal/suppa combo
Body Ker's Cuirass
Hands Ares' Gauntlets +1
Rings I'm still not sure exactly what the best option would be so I'm going to go with raja's and mar's
Back Atheling mantle or Letalis mantle
waist Nusku's Sash or Patentia sash for the dual wield
legs Ares' Flanchard +1
feet Ravager's Calligae +2

I like this set because you get 35% dual wield,25% haste,27% double attack and 2% triple attack.
necroskull Necro Bump Detected! [41 days between previous and next post]
By macsdf1 2013-04-02 07:51:32  
It's beastly now with the adjustments. Prob so hax when that 94 dmg axe is gotten lol.
サーバ: Sylph
By Sylph.Padisharcreel 2013-04-02 12:14:23  
I've also been thinking of playing around with dual wield again, just for nostalgia not against things that matter. Anyone think ridill might still be the way to go offhand, or 2x axes going to trump that now with all the extra base dmg?
By macsdf1 2013-04-02 22:23:20  
Yeah I might make a 2-4 oat axe maybe, or should I just get a ridll hehe. I was offhanding sagasinger for the 15 str, doing 4-5k ruinators on uptala with cor+ brd. Avg around 3.5k Was using magian pet attack axe, 74 dmg 11 str main hand.

Did some morta no cor, just bard highest was around 4500, around 2500 avg Id say.

Pretty much just put on all the str ***I had, around 225 str for ws.

Tp gear dunno what I should get, more dual wield, more store tp, more dbl/triple/quad attacks?
 Shiva.Arana
By Shiva.Arana 2013-04-02 22:30:22  
Riddil and 2-4 oat are bad.

Max damage should be Icoyoca/Da axe

macsdf1 said: »
Tp gear dunno what I should get, more dual wield, more store tp, more dbl/triple/quad attacks?
Dual wield|capped haste>Quad>Tripple>Double>

Edited' Forgot about the SoA axe.
[+]
 Asura.Babydrulian
サーバ: Asura
By Asura.Babydrulian 2013-04-02 22:33:18  
Icoyoca.... hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng
By macsdf1 2013-04-03 06:57:08  
What about oat2, and where does stp fit.
By Chimerawizard 2013-04-03 08:05:06  
For Ruinator spam I think hierarchy
Icoyoca > Farsha(99) > Faizzeer > Aytanri/Ganelon(DA) for the main hand
k.club > Ridill > Ganelon(DA) > Astolfo(STR)/(storetp) sub; not sure what would get the most overal dps on war though...

no comp so I can't exactly math it all out.

edit: Buzzwords
good catch, I don't know what axes to use after the first couple really.
Also had forgotten about the dust collector, Aytanri...
By Buzzwords 2013-04-03 08:27:02  
Chimerawizard said: »
For Ruinator spam I think hierarchy
Icoyoca > Farsha(99) > Faizzeer > Astolfo(STR) for the main hand
k.club > Ganelon(DA) sub;

for what it's worth, DA ganelon actually has higher base damage than str astolfo. so it could just as easily be a mainhand with the astolfo being your off, depending on what your options are. (ganelon and astolfo feels like a good balance of strength to attainability, so i think it's a situation that would come up fairly often)
[+]
 Remora.Brain
サーバ: Remora
user: Arucaurd
By Remora.Brain 2013-04-03 12:42:09  
Just curious, but why is ridill bad? I'm looking at it and it says the DPS is upwards of 19, and the DPS of something like the DA Axe is 15 before considering its DA.

Does DA really cancel TA procs or did we disprove that?

Are people just throwing ridill into a spreadsheet with the same gear set as an offhand axe? It just seems like the DPS of ridill has held up decently and the TP gain is still pretty fast. What am I overlooking?
 Cerberus.Tikal
サーバ: Cerberus
user: Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2013-04-03 12:45:04  
Double attack efficiency is reduced by Ridill procs because Ridill takes precedent. Swords have a lower skill rating.
[+]
 Remora.Brain
By Remora.Brain 2013-04-03 15:23:36  
That's not such a bad thing then is it? DA reducing the chance of Ridill TA would be far worse than Ridill taking precedent over DA.

The lower skill rating amounts to 14ATK and ~13ACC lost, and I doubt WAR is a job in dire need for those outside of Legion and some upper tier VW, though that's not to say that's some small negligible amount.

What I'm trying to ask is did whoever ran their numbers do it with gear optimized for Axe/Axe and plug Ridill in or did they Build for Axe/Ridill and then compare Axe/Axe to Axe/Ridill?

Edit: Forgot to count Sword Skill on Suppanomimi.
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2013-04-03 15:36:53  
As far as I recall, Ridill's attack range goes as follows: 25% single, 50% double, 25% triple (This disparity is just what I remember. Could be wrong). DA, TA, QA cannot proc on any of those except single, reducing the efficiency of DA, TA and QA to 25% on the offhand, making DA/TA/QA value about 62.5% of its normal value.

WAR natively gets DA, and most WAR gear embosses DA, so it hurts WAR more than other jobs.

Whether or not Axe/Ridill is viable in today's climate or not, I'm not sure. I'd think that other combinations would destroy it, considering Axe/Ridill was a 75-era combination, but that's just inference.
 Bismarck.Helel
user: Billzey
By Bismarck.Helel 2013-04-03 15:39:22  
Cerberus.Tikal said: »
Double attack efficiency is reduced by Ridill procs because Ridill takes precedent. Swords have a lower skill rating.

That is incorrect. On anything other than jailer weapons, DA/TA/QA will always take precedence over the weapon itself. It's incredibly obvious with a kraken club. Your tp gain is reduced significantly with double attack gear.

Because ridill is oa2-3, there is still some benefit to using DA gear, but you are right about it being "reduced."

I'm not sure who wrote the wiki article regarding double attack:

Quote:
Additional attacks produced by Triple Attack, and to a degree, Occasionally Attacks X Times weapons are not affected by Double Attack, and only one of these effects can proc at once.

Example: Joyeuse will never attack more than 2 times, and the 2nd attack will never be subject to Double Attack. Furthermore, Kraken Club is never affected by Double Attack if its "Attacks 2 to 8 Times" effect proc's, though it will increase the amount of hits per round.

but it's wrong, especially regarding the kraken club portion. In fact it's the exact opposite. If DA procs, then the weapon OA X times does NOT proc.
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2013-04-03 15:45:48  
Strange, that's the exact opposite of my understanding. Granted, my understanding is from the 75-era, so I'm more than open to it being wrong. Still, if someone else could chime in on which is accurate, I'd appreciate it.
 Shiva.Arana
By Shiva.Arana 2013-04-03 15:49:38  
They're right Tikal though your logic is also correct in that using Ridill on war will lead to fewer procs than using it on say bst.

Good read for OaX,dbl,triple,and quad atk
[+]
 Cerberus.Tikal
By Cerberus.Tikal 2013-04-03 15:51:34  
Cheers
 Remora.Brain
By Remora.Brain 2013-04-03 15:57:40  
Can we get some links in here? I stopped following a lot of BG's testing a while ago when I first quit. The last I saw people were trying to say conflicting things like:

If DA and TA roll on the same swing they cancel out, resulting in one swing. (Wtf?)

OAX weapon procs take priority.

On a 2-3 weapon TA is rolled with the 3 times proc, and DA is rolled with a 2 times proc, and since adding say 5% DA when a weapon x2's at 50% would do much less than adding 5% to 10% you'd reduce the potency of DA/TA for weapons like Ridill.

DA/TA can only proc on single swing procs.

So I've always been a bit murky on what goes where really. That's why I love my simple Two-handed weapons lol.
 Shiva.Arana
By Shiva.Arana 2013-04-03 15:58:58  
Read the thread I posted then live by it.

Just don't die by it cause that would be bad and I would feel bad. ):
 Remora.Brain
By Remora.Brain 2013-04-03 16:01:11  
Thanks for the link, it's a big help.
By macsdf1 2013-04-03 18:56:32  
Sadly, not many mirrors for sale. Might be impossible to make the DA axe.
By Zoltar 2013-04-03 19:37:04  
I'm an axe warrior, using 90 Farsha with either Ridill or Ganelon (99 Axe occ. att 2-4 times)

My gear is shitty, but I can get north of 3900dmg in abyssea and 2700+ outside abyssea with decent str builds used with Ruinator and aqua belt/gorget.

Sometimes I get over 50tp with one round of hits, its pretty awesome for bst too with all that hate + Snarl. I WS in twilight head/body, avant cuisses +1, heca hands/feet +1.
By Zoltar 2013-04-03 19:38:07  
Its especially nice hitting 4-6 times fairly consistently
By Chimerawizard 2013-04-03 20:15:26  
Unlike BST, warrior gets a lot of double attack making oax weapons less attractive, but unless your build has 50% double attack or more the ridill will still win.

If go to make a DA axe and do not have a powerhouse axe to go with it, make another DA axe. They are (rare) so you can't 99 both, but you can get 21 DA with a 99 & 90 pair, and a bit more DMG if you upgrade to a 95. Just a thought. The storetp axe is quite good too.

I leave it to someone with a working comp to find out which setup is better; DA99+STR(ToM)99 or DA99+DA95 or DA99+TP99
[+]
First Page 2