フォーラム » FFXI » Jobs » Samurai » OAT GKT
OAT GKT
 Carbuncle.Ddevil
サーバ: Carbuncle
Game: FFXI
user: Ddevil
By Carbuncle.Ddevil 2013-04-23 23:28:00  
Hello -

I have recently returned to the game and have an OAT GKT from before Abyssea was released. I was planning on continuing to upgrade this weapon but after some research I have found that the TP Bonus GKT is favored by pretty much everyone.

I am curious as to why the DRK guide lists the OAT Great Sword as a decent option until a relic is acquired but the same is not true for the OAT GKT. I tried to do a comparison using the DPS spreadsheet I found but was overwhelmed by all the options.

Any assistance on this matter would be greatly appreciated (bonus points for numbers and math ^^).
 Valefor.Surivere
サーバ: Valefor
Game: FFXI
By Valefor.Surivere 2013-04-24 05:37:03  
It's pretty simple.

Most GK weaponskills make huge leaps between TP numbers.
Shoha's damage multiplier for instance goes from 1.375 (100%) to 2.15 (200%) and then slowly curves out again to 2.65 (300%)

From 100 to 200% TP, that's a 56% increase in damage.

Greatswords do not have such leaps. Take for instance the strongest WS you currently have on Great Swords, Resolution.

It goes from 0.71875 (100%) 0.84375 (200%) up to 0.96875 (300%)
It's damage increase from 100% to 200% is a 17% increase in damage.

So for that reason...

Great Katana's, go for a TP bonus for more damage.
Great Swords, go for a OAT for more hits for TP.

OAT's dont proc on Weaponskills either. So the only way to be comparable in damage is to do 56% more Weaponskills. While a 2-4 OAT magian might get you to an occasional 4-hit which will get you beyond that 50% increase IN HITS (66%), it's base damage is absolutely piss-poor and wont even come remotely close.

Go grab a DMG:51 GK off the AH (read: that's the damage rating on a Lv.37 Katana) and see how your damage is. That is the melee damage you're going to do. Take a regular hit, add your WS damage multipliers to that, there's your Shoha damage.

Enjoy 700 damage Shoha's that you can pull off 66% faster on your occasional 4-hit opposed to 2800+ Shoha's with a TP bonus Katana on your 6-hit.

I'm pretty sure that got the point across.

OAT GK is great for quickly finding Voidwatch Procs for GK. That is it, entirely.