The Sears Tower No Longer Exists.

Eorzea Time

言語: JP EN FR DE
日本語版のFFXIVPRO利用したい場合は、上記の"JP"を設定して、又はjp.ffxivpro.comを直接に利用してもいいです
users online
フォーラム » Everything Else » Culture and Media » The Sears Tower no longer exists.
The Sears Tower no longer exists.
First Page 2 3
 Odin.Blazza
サーバ: Odin
Game: FFXI
user: Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-17 09:18:29  
Why would anyone give a crap?

Everyone will still know it as Sear's tower if that's what's got your knickers in a bunch, but the actual name is now Willis tower. Regardless of how stupid you may think that is, it's good advertising for "Willis Group Holdings", they're well within their rights to do so, and it doesn't cost them anything. So really, who cares?
[+]
 Asura.Zekky
サーバ: Asura
user: Zekky
By Asura.Zekky 2009-07-17 09:19:44  
You know what... Being formally from Chicago... this pisses me off. A lot. You just don't up and change a famous landmark in a city. I remember one of the first things I ever did when I moved to Chicago years ago was going to the Sears Tower. =(
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-17 09:36:20  
You've gotta remember that it's not just a tourist attraction, it also happens to be an office building. And why the hell does it matter? It's still the same building, just has a different name. Does that somehow ruin the memory of your visit there?
[+]
 Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph
サーバ: Pandemonium
By Pandemonium.Eternaltriumph 2009-07-17 09:39:28  
Let's go to Australia and change the names of Dingos and Kangaroos. does it make sense? No. Would Australians be pissed? Yes. Would they USE the new names? No.

How does it fit it? Australia is known for those animals, just like Chitown is known for the Sears Tower and being the "Windy City".
 Ragnarok.Ashman
サーバ: Ragnarok
user: Ashman
By Ragnarok.Ashman 2009-07-17 09:49:16  
In Detroit area we have an outdoor venue for concerts that has been around and playing the biggest tours of the year since before most of us here were born. My entire life it had been called "Pine Knob" and was notoriously famous in the music industry. Several years ago it was purchased by Detroit Edison and re-named "The DTE Energy Music Theatre". Everyone still calls it Pine Knob but when they do have to call it DTE or hear it called that its usually followed by groans and snickers (not the candy). I don't know but personally i think that is bad PR. I know alot of people who still resent the name change and this is nowhere near on the scale of the Sears Tower. Didn't that used to be one of the tallest buildings in the world when it was new? That name has been said in countries that dont even have concrete buildings let alone ones that size and yet theyre going to make it a so-called billboard?

Im good. Ash in Detroit feels you Chicago. Lets go get a deepdish and get ready for this years Hockey opener (im no wings fan though lol).
[+]
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-17 22:55:17  
Again, you seem to be missing the fact that it's primary function is a business centre, not a tourist attraction. The name change might be bad rep for the tourist side of things, but I'm pretty sure that Willis Group Holdings doesn't give a ***about that side of things.

Buildings get their names changed all the time, and it's totally an advertising thing. Just like changing Pine Knob to DTE Energy Music Theatre is advertising for DTE Energy. Sure it's a crap name and everyone will still call it Pine Knob, but unless it actually effects business for the venue (which is unlikely), then all it does is boosts DTE Energies publicity.

I find it amusing that you're comparing it to renaming animals, but btw, that's been done before too, I can't think off-hand which animal it was, aside from people insisting on calling the Tasmanian Tiger the Thylacene because it's not a tiger. But hey, they changed Ayer's Rock to Uluru and that didn't effect tourism now did it?

Still, no-ones answered my question as to why you give a crap.
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
サーバ: Ifrit
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-07-17 22:56:38  
WE GIVE A CRAP BECAUSE THERE ISN'T ANYTHING ELSE TO GIVE A CRAP ABOUT.

/ramblerambleramble

Undelete | Edit  | Link | 引用 | 返事

Post deleted by User.
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-07-17 23:04:38  
Bartimaeus said:
I'm not sure why you have a problem with people caring about the namechange, Blazza lol.

3 hours from Chicago and every man woman and child here knows what the Sears Tower is. The name is part of the memory and history of the tower itself.

bottom line is, the terrorists will always remember it as "The Target", and those sick *** will probably try to do it again.
 Asura.Ludoggy
user: Ludog
By Asura.Ludoggy 2009-07-17 23:16:53  
Its like renaming the Triborough bridge RFK bridge...its really just lame
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-17 23:20:18  
I'm not sure why you have a problem with me having a problem with people caring about the name change Barti :p

Seriously, I don't really give a ***either way, I just don't understand how people could get worked up about something that really doesn't effect them at all.
[+]
 Ifrit.Kungfuhustle
By Ifrit.Kungfuhustle 2009-07-17 23:22:54  
I WANT TO RENAME CALIFORNIA TO "HOMOVILLE!"
 Odin.Ahligieri
user: jaeganja
By Odin.Ahligieri 2009-07-18 00:10:32  
Blazza said:
I'm not sure why you have a problem with me having a problem with people caring about the name change Barti :p

Seriously, I don't really give a ***either way, I just don't understand how people could get worked up about something that really doesn't effect them at all.

I don't understand why you have a problem with people having a problem with you having a problem about renaming the sears tower.

It's not that personal for me, I just remember it as that big *** building. Biggest in the world? In the USA? Idk. It's big and ***.
 Ramuh.Bekisa
サーバ: Ramuh
By Ramuh.Bekisa 2009-07-18 00:11:07  
Ashman said:
In Detroit area we have an outdoor venue for concerts that has been around and playing the biggest tours of the year since before most of us here were born. My entire life it had been called "Pine Knob" and was notoriously famous in the music industry. Several years ago it was purchased by Detroit Edison and re-named "The DTE Energy Music Theatre". Everyone still calls it Pine Knob but when they do have to call it DTE or hear it called that its usually followed by groans and snickers (not the candy).

It will always be Pine Knob to me! So many bad and good drunken memories on those grassy hillsides in the middle of a rain downpoor <3
 Asura.Shakespeare
By Asura.Shakespeare 2009-07-18 01:01:30  
Bekisa said:
Ashman said:
In Detroit area we have an outdoor venue for concerts that has been around and playing the biggest tours of the year since before most of us here were born. My entire life it had been called "Pine Knob" and was notoriously famous in the music industry. Several years ago it was purchased by Detroit Edison and re-named "The DTE Energy Music Theatre". Everyone still calls it Pine Knob but when they do have to call it DTE or hear it called that its usually followed by groans and snickers (not the candy).

It will always be Pine Knob to me! So many bad and good drunken memories on those grassy hillsides in the middle of a rain downpoor <3

Good to see a couple of fellow Michiganders on here! I guess they changed the Knob after I had moved away, but that was back in '96 that I did.
 Odin.Karusan
user: Karusan
By Odin.Karusan 2009-07-18 01:31:32  
Eternaltriumph said:
Let's go to Australia and change the names of Dingos and Kangaroos. does it make sense? No. Would Australians be pissed? Yes. Would they USE the new names? No.

How does it fit it? Australia is known for those animals, just like Chitown is known for the Sears Tower and being the "Windy City".

Scientific names wouldn't get changed, that's just silly. Meanwhile a lot of our buildings get renamed due to change of ownership/sponsorship. When BankWest bought out R&I the tallest building in Perth was renamed and was rather a momentous occasion, the fact that it happened when I was ~8 and I still remember proves that. Even our major stadium in Sydney was renamed from the Telstra Dome to Emirates Stadium. Except the thing you'll generally find is that most Australians don't care.

Names will change but the memories associated with those things won't change. You'll still be telling your grandkids of "Willis Tower" and the "Windy City" and how once upon ago it used to be called "Sears Tower". Hell the Two Towers aren't even there anymore and people still hold memories of them.

Obviously people have too much time on their hands after all the mass layoffs and need something to do.
 Valefor.Ghuda
サーバ: Valefor
user: Ghuda
By Valefor.Ghuda 2009-07-18 02:24:06  
Eternaltriumph said:

lol we had the name of Ayers rock changed to Uluru..... no one gave a ***
 Leviathan.Chaosx
サーバ: Leviathan
user: ChaosX128
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2009-07-18 02:46:45  
Umm if the World Trade Towers got changed to AIG Towers the year before they got hit I'm sure a lot of people would have a problem with this. Yeah it's about business, but you gotta remember it's also about history. You can't have a historical significant building renamed despite whatever goes down in the building, without a lot of people getting upset.

So I guess you wouldn't have a problem with The Herbert C. Hoover Building renamed to Bill Gates Building. Ok, so you don't have a problem with Gates, how about the Empire State Building. Would you like it if its name change to the RCA Building or the Viacom Building?
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-18 02:51:43  
Chaosx said:
Umm if the World Trade Towers got changed to AIG Towers the year before they got hit I'm sure a lot of people would have a problem with this. Yeah it's about business, but you gotta remember it's also about history. You can't have a historical significant building renamed despite whatever goes down in the building, without a lot of people getting upset.

So I guess you wouldn't have a problem with The Herbert C. Hoover Building renamed to Bill Gates Building. Ok, so you don't have a problem with Gates, how about the Empire State Building. Would you like it if its name change to the RCA Building or the Viacom Building?

Really couldn't give a ***, it's just a name.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2009-07-18 03:20:01  
Ok let's change Mount Rushmore to Mount George H. W. Bush.
Let's change the Great of Wall of China to Great Wall of Qi.
Let me know when I hit one that gets to you.
How about change the name of the Brooklyn Bridge to the George C. Parker Bridge?
The George Washington Bridge would become the Geico Bridge.
The Bradbury Building would be now know as the Ross Cutlery Building.
Lol! I could keep going on and find every landmark's current owner, or the business that has invested the most in it, etc. If you don't get the point, I feel really sorry for you.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-18 03:29:54  
Oh I get what you're trying to do. But why should I give a damn what something is called? The official name that it's given doesn't change what it is, if I bought some landmark building I'd probably name it after myself too, and when someone bought it off me and changed the name again, I'd be disappointed that my name wasn't on it any more, but I'd understand since it would no longer have anything to do with me.
[+]
 Leviathan.Chaosx
By Leviathan.Chaosx 2009-07-18 03:49:00  
Ok, you're almost there... Yeah the actual building doesn't have anything to do the name of it landmark, etc. It's the history of the landmark that counts. Can we agree on that?

I'm from N.J. so as you can guess I was extremely angry when they moved Yankee Stadium and changed the name. This is the house that Ruth Built!!! I'm not even a Yankees fan! I prefer the Mets over the Yankees any day, actually I'm a Mariners Fan. But this was baseball history being changed right before my eyes. I used to get cheap bench seats in Yankee stadium when I was younger, just to watch them get beat by almost any other A.L. team. Now that they moved and changed their Stadium's name, I have yet to go. Tearing down the house that Babe Ruth built?! Wow! It's hard to put into words how that feels! And this is coming from someone who is no way a Yankees fan! But I understand the team and their history.

Yeah names shouldn't matter, but it's about the history and memories. If you change the name after a lot of years of years, the history will get distortied (sp?). Landmarks are named after the people who built them or founded them, end of story. When you change the name, it a stab in the heart of people who have lived by these landmarks all their lives!

You're missing the point. If you did buy a landmark, would you really name if after yourself?! The landmark's history doesn't change, I'll agree. But changing the name is selfish. I think that's what really get's people upset.
 Ragnarok.Faiye
user: xFaiyex
By Ragnarok.Faiye 2009-07-18 05:17:46  
Blazza said:

Clearly you're not from Chicago...
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-18 05:22:51  
I think you're the one that's missing the point. The point is, I really don't give a crap, it's just a name, call it what you want. To you, it still is, and always will be Sear's Tower, so it really doesn't matter a damn what it's actually called now does it?

As for buying a landmark, why wouldn't you? You'll probably find that most sporting venues are owned or sponsored by major corporations for the sole purpose of sticking their names on it for advertising, and without that sponsorship, some of your favourite sports would have no-where to be played.

As for the Yankee stadium, well, they're not ripping down Sear's tower and re-building it somewhere else, it's just a name change, so that example hardly fits.

Moral of the story: Get over it, it's a name.

Faiye said:
Blazza said:

Clearly I'm not from America and don't get worked up over pointless ***.
[+]
 Diabolos.Chupacabra
サーバ: Diabolos
user: Caesar
By Diabolos.Chupacabra 2009-07-18 05:31:31  
Blazza, If we stop caring about inanimate objects like buildings and cars... What we will care/obsess about? Other people!? ... uggh, I threw up a little in my mouth.
 Fairy.Raikan
サーバ: Fairy
user: Squitt
By Fairy.Raikan 2009-07-18 05:34:59  
Faiye said:

Clearly he's not from the USA.

The Sidney Opera House is now the Trevor L. Lechleiter Performing Arts Venue.

Also, your moral is stupid.
 Ragnarok.Faiye
user: xFaiyex
By Ragnarok.Faiye 2009-07-18 05:35:52  
Blazza said:

Clearly I'm not from America and don't get worked up over pointless poop.

FTFY.

I think everyone here got your point on your first post. So maybe you can put your money where your mouth is and stop getting "worked up" and posting the same reply over and over again.
 Odin.Blazza
By Odin.Blazza 2009-07-18 05:40:19  
I'm not worked up about anything, I just got my wisdom teeth out this week so I don't feel like doing anything that takes much more effort than point and click. Unfortunately for you guys, that includes trolling the forums, and well... they've been pretty quiet *shrug*
 Fairy.Raikan
サーバ: Fairy
user: Squitt
By Fairy.Raikan 2009-07-18 05:42:33  
Blazza said:
I just got my wisdom teeth out this week so I don't feel like doing anything that takes much more effort than point and click.

Ah
/comfort motion
First Page 2 3